Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Originally Posted by JimRochester
It was a take-off of an old joke. I've been to country concerts before and yes, there are amazing numbers of beautiful women there in tank tops and daisy dukes.
Oh, I know the old joke. But I would have been remiss not to challenge the stereotype on behalf of my betoothed Southern brethren, dear sir!
Old 06-24-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Well, in fairness...that other forum tends to be completely rabid whereas we're a more sedate group.
Re. Blu Ray dot com forums, I know that most of the posts there (especially in the upcoming U&S thread) are useless and repetitive, but mixed in there are some interesting tips or ideas of things to get. I can't/don't read them all because there's too much to wade through, but I skim. For instance, there's no way I ever would have time to browse Gohastings for newly reduced cheap BDs in stock, so I rely almost 100% on my wishlist (which is usually mostly OOS) and reading what others are buying (when they post the prices... otherwise I ignore them). On that forum, there are lots of posts and lots of ideas. Here there's almost nothing for your average Gohastings sale.

So while quality trumps quantity, there usually isn't enough quantity here any more. I still prefer here, but when it's mostly dead I'm forced to go "over there" (let's all sing the famous war song now) to find more info and get some questions answered. Maybe we can find Miracle Max to help out DVD Talk with a magic pill?
Old 06-24-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decided to check that other site out for myself. Wow, can't believe how active it is! All I did was look at the number of threads and how many posts were made just today. Lots of participation, even if it's not of the caliber we used to have here.

I don't want to veer too far off topic, but I wonder what happened to DVD Talk? Maybe keeping the Blu Ray threads as a sub-section for too long? Or that there seems to be no real moderation anymore? That they don't have a mobile site or APP? Interface too old? I used to spend lots of time here, but now I log in everyday and I'm gone in a couple of minutes. Lots of tumbleweeds. Why?
Old 06-24-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

There's tons of stuff written about that very subject in the Forum Feedback and Support section... If you have more than a couple minutes... there is a lot of material to absorb..
Old 06-24-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A big part of it is that getting hold of ads early has dried up, as have the ads themselves. And I think by now most DVD Talkers already have most of what they want in their libraries except new releases. We're an I'll-wait-until-it's-$10 lot so even new releases aren't very demanding here. Conversely, the crowd at that other site seems to have very deep pockets and little hesitation to throw a lot of money at anything with a slipcover. It's amazing to me how many times I've seen posters over there throw up their emoticon about having the chance to blind buy classics at prices above the $10 threshold we gravitate toward here.

The Wizard of Oz is $19.99! It has a slipcover! I've heard of it and always wanted to see it!
Old 06-24-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
A big part of it is that getting hold of ads early has dried up, as have the ads themselves. And I think by now most DVD Talkers already have most of what they want in their libraries except new releases. We're an I'll-wait-until-it's-$10 lot so even new releases aren't very demanding here. Conversely, the crowd at that other site seems to have very deep pockets and little hesitation to throw a lot of money at anything with a slipcover. It's amazing to me how many times I've seen posters over there throw up their emoticon about having the chance to blind buy classics at prices above the $10 threshold we gravitate toward here.
That's very true. At this point, I'm unlikely to spend $10 on any title unless it's a Criterion/Olive/Shout Factory title or a box set type. I guess I've gotten smarter about how to get titles for a lot less.

Over there they just seem to have better and quicker alerts or posts on deals. I've never really gotten their fascinations with slipcovers either.
Old 06-24-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
That's very true. At this point, I'm unlikely to spend $10 on any title unless it's a Criterion/Olive/Shout Factory title or a box set type. I guess I've gotten smarter about how to get titles for a lot less.
"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time." Even when it comes to building a movie library.

Over there they just seem to have better and quicker alerts or posts on deals. I've never really gotten their fascinations with slipcovers either.
Yeah, they've got a great system for breaking deals over there. Reminds me of the glory days of Speedy's reign in DVD Bargains. As for the slipcovers, I was mostly just having a good-natured jab at 'em. It's one of their defining characteristics as a group so I thought I'd poke fun at that. I do prefer my movies have a slipcover if possible but I won't go to any real effort to ensure I get one that does, nor do I fret over how close to mint condition it might be if I get one.
Old 06-24-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Or that there seems to be no real moderation anymore? That they don't have a mobile site or APP?
Actually, this forum has had a mobile app for a few months now. So, perhaps the problem is a lack of proper promotion of the site and its features?? Or just caring about maintaining the site in general. It really is on auto-pilot.
Old 06-26-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
I'm hoping for decent release week pricing on Evil Dead, Oblivion, and maybe G.I.Joe Retaliation, as I'm guessing none of the stores will get the Scream Factory releases of The Fog, and Swamp Thing. I had luck last time with an express lane order maybe I'll try that again too.
Now some Scream Factory titles would definitely get me back into the store.
Old 06-26-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 815 Likes on 689 Posts

Decided to check that other site out for myself. Wow, can't believe how active it is! All I did was look at the number of threads and how many posts were made just today. Lots of participation, even if it's not of the caliber we used to have here.

I don't want to veer too far off topic, but I wonder what happened to DVD Talk? Maybe keeping the Blu Ray threads as a sub-section for too long? Or that there seems to be no real moderation anymore? That they don't have a mobile site or APP? Interface too old? I used to spend lots of time here, but now I log in everyday and I'm gone in a couple of minutes. Lots of tumbleweeds. Why?
Blu-ray.com became ground zero for Blu-ray supporters in the format war against HD DVD. AVS's implicit support of HD DVD and mis-management of their forums during the format war drove everyone to Blu-ray.com. It doesn't hurt that the developers for Blu-ray.com are extremely active in adding feature after feature to the site.
Old 06-26-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree with Manzana. I also think posting here on DVD TALK is way down, especially in recent months. I thought it was due to a general lack of bargains out there, but it must be more than that. The DVD Bargains section is like a ghost town now, but even this Blu section has diminished quite a bit. Has everyone moved to another place or is the hobby fading away?

As for the BB sale, it will be interesting to see if any good deals pop up.
Take a look at my join date -- and I confess I don't come here anywhere near as I used to, nor any other comparable site. Rarely feel the need to anymore, and I'm buying a couple Blu-rays a month. Came in here today to check when the next BB trade-in was coming. I got Big Trouble in Little China at BB for $5 last time, trading in a DVD I wouldn't get 50 cents for. I would never shop there under normal circumstances.
Old 06-27-13, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this is the first time that I'm not really excited about this promo. It feels like the last one just ended. My sources of cheap DVDs have been exhausted and there's little in my collection that I want to part with at this point. I'm also getting a bit annoyed at seeing titles that I purchase during this promo going for the same price during other promos.

I'll still be taking part but I anticipate a small haul compared to the U&S's of the past.
Old 06-27-13, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After the talk of reduced media in stores, I became curious what my local Best Buy looked like these days. Since I was in the area to see my doctor anyway, I popped in and strolled around. I didn't see much of an appreciable difference in available inventory with the exception of Disney content. The very last half aisle, facing the back of the store, is all Disney. It was pretty bare.

I also looked to see if I could find Dick Tracy or Who Framed Roger Rabbit, two that have been on my To Get list since they were announced. They didn't have either in stores during the U&S promo that took place early this year. I think Roger Rabbit may not have come out yet at that point, but Dick Tracy came out in December. They didn't even have that in the online inventory until the week after the U&S promo ended. I could find neither yesterday, though whether that's because they've already quit bothering to stock them or because they're out of stock but being refilled, I have no way of knowing.

I have a self-imposed ban on buying any more discs until I log at least one at-home viewing of everything already in my library, but if there should be any Blus with movie cash offers that interest me that I could get for $4.99, I could be tempted since at that point I'd be foolish not to add to my library while I'm planning to go to the theater anyway. As I've gone through my library, I've found a handful of titles that just don't feel all that important to me to keep, so I've got a few set aside to trade in. There are quite a few Blus with Movie Cash offers either already on shelves or soon to be. We'll see.
Old 06-27-13, 05:22 AM

^^^Dick Tracy and Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not shelved in the Disney section at Best Buy. They're actually shelved according to genre like the other movies.
Old 06-27-13, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sandman007
^^^Dick Tracy and Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not shelved in the Disney section at Best Buy. They're actually shelved according to genre like the other movies.
Yeah, I forgot to make that clear. I know they're shelved elsewhere, being Touchstone Pictures releases rather than Disney proper. They weren't where they ought to have been.
Old 07-14-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Aside from some Triple packs this sale has very little to offer. They simply up the pricw $5 and make you feel like you're getting a deal.
Since they match Amazon now, BB's price jacking won't matter
Old 07-14-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does appear that the $14.99 "Reel Hero Packaging" Steelbooks are still that price, so those at $10 with u/s, that at least seem appetizing.

Edit: Of course finding them in store might be a different beast.
Old 07-14-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10 (Your Haul Thread)

Considering for $4.99 after coupon:
Top Gun
Night at Museum Collection
Dodgeball/Something About Mary (if not P&S)

Considering for $6.49 after coupon and Amazon match:
Grease/Sat Night Fever
Forrest Gump/Green Mile
Old 07-14-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ has there ever been a blu ray 'pan and scan' and or full screen release that wasn't its OAR
Old 07-14-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know, I have to look at the packaging... but the details on Amazon say 1.33:1.

Last edited by GuessWho; 07-14-13 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-14-13, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Since they match Amazon now, BB's price jacking won't matter
So they will MATCH Amazon and give you $5 off? Typically it's one or the other.
Old 07-14-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First haul:

Men in Black 1 & 2
Rust and Bone
Smashed
Tomorrow You're Gone
Old 07-14-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo
So they will MATCH Amazon and give you $5 off? Typically it's one or the other.
Really? Bummer.
Old 07-14-13, 10:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Really? Bummer.
Pretty sure its YMMV on a price match and coupon.

I'll give it a shot later today if I head in. There are some Triple/Four packs I want.
Old 07-14-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Typicially when I've had issues doing a price match and a coupon in the same transaction, I just do the coupon at the register and then go to customer service and ask for a price match without mentioning that I used a coupon. This method hasn't failed yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.