Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10 (Your Haul Thread)

Originally Posted by Chad
Lost track of how many trips, but here's the remaining purchases:

Mud (w/ slipcover) $9.99
American Pie 2 $4.99
Machete (w/ slipcover) $7.99
Dredd (w/ slipcover) $7.99
POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl (w/ slipcover) $4.99
POTC: Dead Man's Chest (w/ slipcover) $4.99
POTC: At World's End (w/ slipcover) $4.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome $4.99
The A-Team (w/ slipcover) $4.99
Premium Rush $4.99
John Dies at the End $4.99 (after $5 RewardZone GC)
The Amazing Spider-Man in 3D (w/ slipcover) $9.99
The Naked Gun $4.99
MIB (w/ slipcover) $4.99
MIB3 (w/ slipcover) $9.99
The Last Stand (w/ slipcover) $9.99

Slipcover count: 19/37
Total coupons returned: 4

Easily the best U&S to date. And the first time I had no problems getting a manufacturer's coupon combined with an U&S coupon.

Only complaints were a) Flight being rejected for $4.99 and b) Baraka, Samsara, The Daimajin Triple Feature and Cave of Forgotten Dreams not being in-stock.

If you haven't opened it yet, I would suggest returning MiB and picking up the mastered in 4k version. It costs a bit more, but it GREATLY benefits from the new transfer. Probably one of the best improvements of all the 4k discs.
Old 08-11-13, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slipcover count: 19/37
Seriously? If you give enough of a fuck to COUNT how many had fucking slipcovers, then I'm amazed you bought the 18 that didn't. Fucking shame on you for bringing that OCD bullshit from the retard site here.

My U&S haul this time was the smallest it has ever been, at less than 5. Just nothing really stood out, no GREAT deal on double features, no triples, no real bargains.
Old 08-11-13, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JTH182
If you haven't opened it yet, I would suggest returning MiB and picking up the mastered in 4k version. It costs a bit more, but it GREATLY benefits from the new transfer. Probably one of the best improvements of all the 4k discs.
tell him it has a slipcover. that'd clinch it.
Old 08-12-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade and Save 7/14 - 8/10

I completely passed on U&S this year. Combination of moving during the sale, lack of stock at most Best Buys and good old fashioned laziness (both to be bothered to search inventory online for $9.99 titles and to go to a store).

It's a shame I only just now saw that That Thing You Do! was available to be had for $5, but oh well, hopefully next sale there will be even more $9.99 titles I don't already own and want to own. I still maintain a stack of old DVDs to be traded in (stuff I upgraded and fetch under $1 via Amazon Trade-in)
Old 08-12-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nate boss
tell him it has a slipcover. That'd clinch it.
haha
Old 08-12-13, 04:15 PM

My only find this time was Amazing Spider man 3D ( BD+DVD+DC) for 9.99. Happy with it.

It is crazy that stand alone BD and DVD of the same are more expensive!!
Old 08-12-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I actually found there to be a decent amount of titles once you got past the $9.99 ($5 with coupon) range. The BBC tv series were a pretty good deal if you wanted them. Anyway, at some point they're probably going to discount those $9.99 titles to $5 like they're doing now.
Old 08-12-13, 04:20 PM

[QUOTE
MIB3 (w/ slipcover) $9.99

[/QUOTE]

Hope you got the 3D version - it is same price - yes w/slipcover

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Men+In+B...03d&lp=10&cp=1
Old 08-12-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Thanks, but don't know if it's worth spending 3X the price on something I'd rarely watch. Taxi Driver and Ghostbusters are probably the only two I'd consider upgrading at this point.

Originally Posted by Nate Boss
Seriously? If you give enough of a fuck to COUNT how many had fucking slipcovers, then I'm amazed you bought the 18 that didn't. Fucking shame on you for bringing that OCD bullshit from the retard site here.
A little late to be complaining about OCD behavior at DVDTalk, don't ya think?

Originally Posted by soundman2
Hope you got the 3D version - it is same price - yes w/slipcover

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Men+In+B...03d&lp=10&cp=1
Yep. And I got it solely for that sweet lenticular slipcover.

Last edited by Chad; 08-12-13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-12-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, but don't know if it's worth spending 3X the price on something I'd rarely watch. Taxi Driver and Ghostbusters are probably the only two I'd consider upgrading at this point.

A little late to be complaining about OCD behavior at DVDTalk, don't ya think?

Yep. And I got it solely for that sweet lenticular slipcover.

Well that's your call, but I only paid $9.99 for mine after a RZ cert earned with free points.
Old 08-12-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
thanks, but my local BBY was able to find the Hellraiser/Children of the Corn 2-pack in the back last week for 7.99.
Cool, glad you found it. I know it isn't reference quality material, but 10 movies for 8 bucks? Even if you only watch them once, you're getting your money's worth...
Old 08-12-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just can't talk myself into upgrading any titles to the 4K discs. I can't imagine re-buying titles AGAIN just because they were remastered in 4K, but then downgraded to 1080P. Not to mention the lack of extras...
Old 08-14-13, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I just can't talk myself into upgrading any titles to the 4K discs. I can't imagine re-buying titles AGAIN just because they were remastered in 4K, but then downgraded to 1080P. Not to mention the lack of extras...
I agree. People who know me think I'm silly rebuying some of the DVDs I own on BD for $3-$7 each (probably averaging $5). The difference between SD and BD is significant. I suppose the difference between BD and 4K BD is also significant, but I can't imagine rebuying very many of my BDs with 4K BDs, even if they hit $5 someday, unless I get giant 4K 3D TVs (which will need to be under $1000 to justify the expense). I think when I watched SD I always felt the picture was a little soft (even upconverted), but BDs are pretty sharp and satisfactory with a decent transfer. I've pretty much told myself I'm not going to re-re-re-buy movies in every format. I quite often pass on upgrading various DVDs to BDs because the majority of movies are just so-so and don't deserve $5 for an upgrade. When 4K BD becomes available, it'll only be my top titles that get rebought and only when they are $5-ish per movie. That's a long ways off in the future.

I also hate it when any BD releases lose extras. That makes me not want to buy them even if the PQ/AQ improves.
Old 08-15-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

My closest Best Buy sucks, their inventory on blu's is just embarrassing. I brought about 8-10 DVDs to upgrade to Blu (all films released in the last 10 years) and they only had Blu's of 2 of them. WTF.
Old 08-15-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

I won't defend the "Mastered in 4K" releases in general, because most of them are a non-upgrade and the marketing of them is nonsense, but I will say that the 4k Ghostbusters disc is a nice improvement over the original (at least in terms of video quality). That's the only one I've seen with my own eyes, but my understanding is that there are a couple of others which offer similar picture upgrades (Spider-Man, MiB, maybe some others). I didn't own the previous Ghostbusters disc (although I had watched it at a friend's house), so it was an easy decision for me.

Originally Posted by Manzana
I agree. People who know me think I'm silly rebuying some of the DVDs I own on BD for $3-$7 each (probably averaging $5). The difference between SD and BD is significant. I suppose the difference between BD and 4K BD is also significant, but I can't imagine rebuying very many of my BDs with 4K BDs, even if they hit $5 someday, unless I get giant 4K 3D TVs (which will need to be under $1000 to justify the expense). I think when I watched SD I always felt the picture was a little soft (even upconverted), but BDs are pretty sharp and satisfactory with a decent transfer. I've pretty much told myself I'm not going to re-re-re-buy movies in every format. I quite often pass on upgrading various DVDs to BDs because the majority of movies are just so-so and don't deserve $5 for an upgrade. When 4K BD becomes available, it'll only be my top titles that get rebought and only when they are $5-ish per movie. That's a long ways off in the future.

I also hate it when any BD releases lose extras. That makes me not want to buy them even if the PQ/AQ improves.
I think you're confusing actual 4k with the "Mastered in 4k" releases that Sony has been putting out there this summer. The upgrades Kenbenobi was talking about are just regular blu-rays. That aside, I assume your statements regarding upgrading to 4k whenever that hits the market still stand.
Old 08-15-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Regarding the who 4K thing.

Regardless of our complaints and apprehension, most of us will upgrade our favorite movies if the price is right and there is a increase in picture quality.

Who are you kidding?

Period.

(BTW I still have 6 coupons from this U&S left, since they kept giving me back my receipt!)
Old 08-15-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Does BB do U&S every 3 months?
Old 08-15-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless of our complaints and apprehension, most of us will upgrade our favorite movies if the price is right and there is a increase in picture quality.

Who are you kidding?

Period.

(BTW I still have 6 coupons from this U&S left, since they kept giving me back my receipt!)
This probably should be in another thread, but no. Blu-ray is the last bastion of physical format for me. 4k is the HD-DVD or Laserdisc format to me. It has limited support and just doesn't feel like it is really going to catch on. Now there could be something behind it that might make me change my mind, but no thanks for now. And I have over 500 blu-rays, about half of which I upgraded from dvd. No offense, I'm done, I'll continue to replace my dvd and buy new titles in blu-ray but no 4k.
Old 08-15-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Yes. The next one should start 2nd week of Oct. or so.
Old 08-15-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222

Originally Posted by TheBang
Yes. The next one should start 2nd week of Oct. or so.

Unfortunately it's devolved into a chance to get a new release for $5 off but catalog titles are very difficult to find.
Old 08-15-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Unfortunately it's devolved into a chance to get a new release for $5 off but catalog titles are very difficult to find.
I think it depends on your store. There are Barry stores, Jill stores, Buzz stores, Ray stores, Carrie stores, Maria stores, and Helen & Charlie stores.

Not sure who gets the best selection of movies. There's one store near me that has a tiny media section; I think it might be a "Jill" (ie, the soccer mom) store because they also have a lot of phones and cameras. The other stores have a larger selection of CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays, though not as many as they had a few years ago.
Old 08-16-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand, I didn't previously own the MiB BD, so I went with the higher quality one for a little more. I already own Ghostbusters, so I won't be upgrading that one. Extras mean nothing to me though. I look for the best A/V quality.
Old 08-16-13, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Who are you kidding?

Period.
No, we won't.

Some likely will. Most won't.

I've 'upgraded' probably less than 10% of my DVDs to blu-ray. Mostly the really important movies -- Tarantino, Lynch, Kubrick, LOTR, Star Wars, Alien Anthology, Blue Velvet, Jaws, Halloween, etc. I'll pick up 'marginal' titles like the Evil Dead movies when I can get them for $5 or less. Some, like Swingers of From Hell, I won't upgrade for any price because the DVD is good enough.

I would expect whatever 4K that lies beyond blu-ray would fall into a similar pattern with me and most other consumers.
Old 08-16-13, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think it depends on your store. There are Barry stores, Jill stores, Buzz stores, Ray stores, Carrie stores, Maria stores, and Helen & Charlie stores.

Not sure who gets the best selection of movies. There's one store near me that has a tiny media section; I think it might be a "Jill" (ie, the soccer mom) store because they also have a lot of phones and cameras. The other stores have a larger selection of CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays, though not as many as they had a few years ago.
There are definitely those that have maintained their stock however as you go through the threads, the number of complaints regarding lack of selection far outnumber the posts of massive hauls. Maybe people with massive hauls don't like to brag and we all love to bitch?
Old 08-16-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll post this here since this is a recent thread.

Point 1. Even after reducing their space allotted to media, I'm surprised at how little stock they have and how many open spaces there are on the shelves.

Point 2. I went in thinking I might pick up Olympus Has Fallen for the weekend. After seeing a crapload of movies in a $4.99 promotional bin, many titles "I had to have" right away yet maybe have watched once, I decided to wait until the price dropped.

Point 3. Those same $4.99 movies were $9.99 last week and during the U&S.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.