DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 09-07-17, 10:06 PM   #301
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Mine didn't have them out today. Going to try tomorrow.
Old 09-08-17, 08:55 AM   #302
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
I don't know if this makes any difference whatsoever (since the price is, after all, only $1), but I just opened my copy of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and found that it was the Walmart exclusive with the bonus CD soundtrack.
Thanks for posting.Would not mind finding the blu with the bonus CD soundtrack.

Auburn,California location had A shit load of blu's and DVDs on and below the display table.

21 blu-ray

Australia
And So It Goes
Enough Said
Flicka
Freebirds
Longest Ride
Rio 2
Safe Haven
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Shark Night

The Answer Man
12 Rounds 2
Two lovers
Our wild Hearts
Earth To Echo
The Good Doctor
Igor
Before I go To Sleep
Blackthorn
Marley & Me The puppy years
Tak3N Unrated

4 DVD

Chloe & Theo with slip
Spoiler:
I make fun of slip cover lovers

The Way Way Back
The Double
Star
Old 09-08-17, 01:18 PM   #303
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, mind had some out... in a friggin' shopping cart. WTF. Was hoping they had And So It Goes, but no luck.

I picked up Ira & Abby (DVD), Happy Tears (DVD) and Chloe and Theo (DVD)
Old 09-08-17, 02:11 PM   #304
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went back today and found the
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
that has the bonus CD soundtrack and different artwork

bonus CD soundtrack blu-ray but no slipcover

No CD

Old 09-08-17, 02:42 PM   #305
DVD Talk Legend

Most of the Magnolia movies in this bunch are actually pretty decent. Movies like Two Lovers and Blackthorn are entertaining enough that I paid much more for them, years ago.

I never understood Magnolia's strategy. Interested in some of their movies, I tracked their pricing on Amazon for years. They basically were never on sale below $10 before showing up in this Dollar Tree sale. They could have made far money dumping them for a little more on Amazon per title.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 09-08-17, 03:27 PM   #306
DVD Talk Legend

Showed up at opening for the store that said they'd be out today. And of course there was half a display meaning they were put out early. Never a rhyme or reason behind Dollar Tree's methods.

This store had Taken 2 & 3, Australia & Brick Mansion as titles I hadn't seen personally. Shark Night and The Longest Ride seems to be in the greatest quantities.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 09-08-17, 04:36 PM   #307
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've enjoyed this sale as past sales were limited in the number of locations (if any) received blu rays. I've found them at places Ive never found them before, or at places I only saw at once (the location I first picked up blus from before starting this thread)... there has been a higher quantity of the fox titles too
Old 09-08-17, 08:18 PM   #308
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Of the 5 closest we went to in our area, 3 had stuff out and were fairly picked over. The other 2 didn't have anything out. When we asked they told us they will be putting them out tomorrow morning (Saturday).
Old 09-09-17, 12:38 AM   #309
g

The stores in my area are only getting a few Blu rays. The displays looked untouched so I don't think they sold. Pretty lame. Only getting a few Magnolia titles at each store and the same titles. The Good Doctor, The Double, Prince Avalance and Point Blank. The rest in DVD's. Same thing happened last time. Never saw most of the Blu rays.
Old 09-09-17, 01:23 AM   #310
DVD Talk Gold Edition

3 SoCal stores near me had all of the advertised stuff today - in a display right in front as you entered the store, with the outside advertising it as 'Item of the Week'

There weren't as many Fox titles as seen elsewhere in the country. 'Shark Night' was the one that most stores had tons of. Did find the walmart edition of Walter Mitty although it was mixed in with the regular edition of the same. Am guessing they'd all be gone by the weekend.
Old 09-09-17, 01:58 AM   #311
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grabbed a few titles:

Old 09-09-17, 07:32 AM   #312
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Found most of those mentioned at my Frederick locations. They didn't have slip covers, but I think I got the correct Mitty.
Old 09-09-17, 10:09 AM   #313

Stopped by 1 of the 2 locations that said it would have them out today and nothing was out. I asked the manager and was told "maybe" tomorrow (Sunday). Well I'm not going to keep driving back.
Old 09-09-17, 10:51 AM   #314
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strange as it may sound, its still the DVDs that are the draw and are going fast
Old 09-09-17, 02:49 PM   #315
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Decided to drop by the one I had the other day hoping they actually put them on display. Nope, still in a shopping basket and pretty well picked through. Went to anther across town, had those on display but again, picked through. Did grab a few DVDs but was really looking for And So It Goes Blu-ray. Decided not to bother with the other two stores across town.

Anyone know if they get more in stock or once they're gone, they're gone?
Old 09-09-17, 04:27 PM   #316
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
I'd say it's very doubtful a store would receive additional stock. Now maybe they'll pull another box out that was overlooked. Or you might see some similar titles in a shipment 3-4 months from now, but all of my experience tells me that once they're gone, they're gone.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 09-09-17, 04:51 PM   #317
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I'd say it's very doubtful a store would receive additional stock. Now maybe they'll pull another box out that was overlooked. Or you might see some similar titles in a shipment 3-4 months from now, but all of my experience tells me that once they're gone, they're gone.
Kind of figured, thanks. Still pissed mine was so lazy with how they put them out. The only thing in the bin where these normally would go is notepaper.
Old 09-09-17, 09:12 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Strange as it may sound, its still the DVDs that are the draw and are going fast
IMO, the need to constantly update firmware on blu's has significantly harmed the format. Most people either don't know how, or don't want to bother. There's also the lack of new firmware for discontinued models.

The java based copy guards are also a major pain, as they prevent most players from remembering the position on the disc if you hit stop.

Copy guards are one of my top irritants; they only harm consumers; any pirate on the planet with half a clue can easily defeat them.
Old 09-09-17, 09:42 PM   #319
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Decided to drop by the one I had the other day hoping they actually put them on display. Nope, still in a shopping basket and pretty well picked through. Went to anther across town, had those on display but again, picked through. Did grab a few DVDs but was really looking for And So It Goes Blu-ray. Decided not to bother with the other two stores across town.

I've seen them actually open the shipping cartoons of DVDs. For these Blu-ray and DVD sales, each store gets 3-6 long, narrow boxes. I believe they only get them in one shipment but not every store will open every box they get at once, depending on shelf space. So that is why we get reports of a store occasionally putting out another batch down the road. That unopened shipment was hiding in the back room the entire time.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 09-09-17, 09:49 PM   #320
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I've seen them actually open the shipping cartoons of DVDs. For these Blu-ray and DVD sales, each store gets 3-6 long, narrow boxes. I believe they only get them in one shipment but not every store will open every box they get at once, depending on shelf space. So that is why we get reports of a store occasionally putting out another batch down the road. That unopened shipment was hiding in the back room the entire time.
Well, I'll be going back on Monday so I'll see if they put more out.
Old 09-10-17, 12:28 AM   #321
DVD Talk Legend

I was 45 minutes away from home with family and ran by another location. Besides the plethora of Shark Night, I picked up the only copies of Nobody Walks & Take This Waltz.

Old 09-10-17, 12:36 PM   #322
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped by 2 stores on Tuesday, 1 had them out already and I picked up:

Grand Piano
A Royal Affair (only 1 copy there)
Shark Night
Take This Waltz

I passed on Main Street, and any of the family movies.

On Saturday I stopped by another store and picked up:

Australia
Burning Plain
Secret Life of Walter Mitty (but not the soundtrack version)
Taken 3

But passed on Double, Enough Said, and whatever family movies were there.

I usually spend more time on these sales, but have been pretty busy, and there wasn't that much that I really wanted (a couple of the other titles mentioned I have already).
Old 09-10-17, 01:22 PM   #323

Part of me wants to go looking for these movies, but the rest of me knows I will never watch them. Plus my Dollar Tree only had Shark Night and the other Dollar Trees are in the shadier parts of town.
Old 09-10-17, 02:47 PM   #324
DVD Talk Reviewer

Went to 2 stores but picked up nothing- everything good I already have, some are digital copies I traded for and haven't watched yet. Shark Night is worthless in 2D, I have the 3D import and also Free Birds from Australia.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 09-10-17, 10:39 PM   #325

Stopped at two NJ stores this past week and was surprised to find they had many of the titles mentioned. I grabbed:

Blackthorn
Toys In The Attic
The Longest Ride
The Good Doctor