Canadian Blu-ray Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: Canadian Blu-ray Bargains

Originally Posted by Brian T
Amazon Canada deal of the day (April 19, 2016):

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST COMPLETE SERIES - $22.99CDN (approx. $26.03 shipped to the U.S.)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0116FT65W/
Even Americans should jump on this deal if they have an interest in Fullmetal Alchemist. Funimation has lost the rights to it and whatever stock is left is it. Buy it now, most anime insiders don't expect to see it reissued for several years.
Old 04-19-16, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon Canada deal of the day (April 19, 2016):

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST COMPLETE SERIES - $22.99CDN (approx. $26.03 shipped to the U.S.)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0116FT65W/
Darn, bought it for $28.99 at Amazon US on New Year. Didn't think it would get cheaper.
Old 04-25-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Bit late posting this, but since it still has about 7 hours to go, today's Amazon DOTD is the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection at $89.99 CDN, which is about $79 US shipped to the states.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008DKHTXU/
Old 08-04-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another unadvertised sale on Shout titles up here. Not bad by Canadian standards for sure. Haven't compared these to Amazon U.S., but as always, even with cross-border shipping there could be some decent savings for American shoppers provided you order more than one or two discs. As usual, some titles say "ships in X to X months", but past history has proven that even these titles usually ship within a week or so:

$10 / $7.68 US
Mad Max
(this one's always around this price)

$13.88 / $10.66 US
Ghoulies 1/2

$13.99 / 10.75 US
The Shadow
Cat People
Evilspeak
Sleepaway Camp III
The Brain That Wouldn't Die

$14.99 / $11.52 US
Captain America

$15.99 / $12.28 US
Night of the Demons
Carrie/Carrie 2
Candyman

$16.99 / $13.05 US
Dolls
New Year's Evil
Midnight Run
Gun Woman
Disturbing Behaviour

$17.99 / $13.82 US
Phantom of the Paradise
Ghost Story
The Final Terror
Final Exam
Nightmares
White of the Eye
Darkman
Zombie Fight Club
The Car
Lord of Illusions
Village of the Damned
Legend of Hell House
Shocker
Stigmata
Lake Placid
Escape From New York
Motel Hell
Prince of Darkness
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Hackers
Ghost Town
I, Madman
Slumber Party Massacre
Sleepaway Camp
Sleepaway Camp II
Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead II
Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man
Leviathan
The Fog
Witchboard
The Dark Half
Swamp Thing
Tank Girl
Nosferatu

$18.99 / $14.59 US
Manhunter
Death Becomes Her
From Beyond
Phantom of the Opera
Zombie High
Manhunter
Ghost House / Witchery
Monkey Shines
From A Whisper to a Scream

D'oh! Found a direct link: they're calling it "Deals on Horror Movies" -- despite a couple of titles falling outside that category -- and it runs until Sept. 1

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=gb1h_rlm...d_p=2554249882

Last edited by Brian T; 08-04-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

It's a really good deal if an American buys four or more titles at once.
Old 08-04-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that's why I never bother with Amazon.CA....the shipping kills it unless you go overboard on titles. I want two on here, maybe three tops, and then its about ten bucks to ship. Ugh!
Old 08-04-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I wonder if you can opt-in to their PRIME - then cancel it - like you could during the UK PRIME one?
Old 08-04-16, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I wonder if you can opt-in to their PRIME - then cancel it - like you could during the UK PRIME one?
how does that help with S/H to the USA ?
Old 08-04-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
It shouldn't at all. It would get you access to some Prime Only deals, but that's really the only advantage for outside the country of origin
Exactly my point as well. The Prime day offer in the UK only allowed you to get access to Prime special pricing on product, not on international shipping
Old 08-04-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, that's right.
Old 08-05-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Yeah, that's why I never bother with Amazon.CA....the shipping kills it unless you go overboard on titles. I want two on here, maybe three tops, and then its about ten bucks to ship. Ugh!
Maybe I'm in some kind of minority of people who do this, but at Amazon U.S., Canada and the U.K. (and to a far lesser extent Germany, Italy and Japan) I keep the "saved for later" sections of my shopping carts full of items -- mostly movies -- that have peaked my interest over the years but for which I didn't want to pay full price. Sometimes stuff sits there for years; there's rarely a rush. When a sale like this comes up but shipping becomes an issue because I can't pick enough items to justify the cost per unit, I can at least skim through those sections of my carts extremely quickly and often find an extra piece or two to add to the order. I also check to see if there are other "deals" running concurrently. Amazon Canada has 17 other deals in the Movies & TV section at the moment, some good, some crap, I'm sure. Obviously there's no guarantee you'll find something to push an order into the comfort zone for shipping, but considering the extremely favorable current exchange rate for American shoppers it's certainly worth poking around. The Shout titles aren't going back down until September, so there's plenty of time, too.

https://www.amazon.ca/dvd-movies-blu...F8&node=917972

Either that or wait and see if the U.S. site has another deal on Shout titles. They had a pretty decent one earlier this year as I recall. The list of titles wasn't so inclusive, but it did feature shows that aren't part of this sale.
Old 08-05-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Maybe I'm in some kind of minority of people who do this, but at Amazon U.S., Canada and the U.K. (and to a far lesser extent Germany, Italy and Japan) I keep the "saved for later" sections of my shopping carts full of items -- mostly movies -- that have peaked my interest over the years but for which I didn't want to pay full price. Sometimes stuff sits there for years; there's rarely a rush. When a sale like this comes up but shipping becomes an issue because I can't pick enough items to justify the cost per unit, I can at least skim through those sections of my carts extremely quickly and often find an extra piece or two to add to the order.
I do that too. Did you know there's a 600 item limit on the "Saved for later" section? I didn't until I put #601 in and lost the last item in the list. My US list stays in the 560-580 range 100% of the time (it's more than movies but they make up the bulk). I've missed a few "deals" over the years and really should set up notices on stuff with camelcamelcamel but I don't check email as often as I do my Amazon carts (email is *not* on my cell phone as I'm one of 10 people in the US who doesn't own one and has no desire to own one).
Old 08-05-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use wish lists to keep track of stuff I'm interested in to possibly buy later, which also allow for individualized notes on each item.
Old 08-05-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I do that too. Did you know there's a 600 item limit on the "Saved for later" section? I didn't until I put #601 in and lost the last item in the list. My US list stays in the 560-580 range 100% of the time (it's more than movies but they make up the bulk). I've missed a few "deals" over the years and really should set up notices on stuff with camelcamelcamel but I don't check email as often as I do my Amazon carts (email is *not* on my cell phone as I'm one of 10 people in the US who doesn't own one and has no desire to own one).
I learned about that limit the hard way a few years back on the U.S. site (where I spend the most cash, despite being in Canada). At first I assumed I must've deleted several things near the end of the list by accident. A few days later I added a Blu-ray that I knew was at the very bottom of the list in DVD format and when I scrolled there to delete it, it was already gone. I saved one more item for later, which confirmed that there was indeed a limit. That's when I realized I'd probably been leaking items for quite some time, so I decided to move a bunch of stuff to my wish list, then break that into smaller wishlists in various categories. On the overseas accounts, the "saved for later" and wishlists aren't so lengthy, but I also scroll through those in case an extra item or two might help make for an order with justifiable shipping. On the U.S. site, I qualify for free shipping because of my U.S. mailing addresses, but overseas I have to compare shipping to Canada and the U.S. before placing the order.

Oddly enough, the vast majority of products on my lists is just stuff I'm moderately curious about, but would only buy at bargain basement prices, either from Amazon or from a third-party seller (like when booksellers offer like-new books for a penny, etc.). That's why so much of it tends to sit there for years and years.

I hear ya on the phone. I have a cell, but it's an antique flip phone with no internet and only about seven people have the number. Mind you, I do have an iPad and iPod, and the office has WiFi, so checking email is fairly easy, but so is checking my various Amazon carts for price updates. Sigh . . .

Last edited by Brian T; 08-05-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, I have decent wish lists for Amazon UK, France, and Germany...it's just that not enough interests me on the Canadian site, especially after I got those Avengers blu-ray cartoons (which I got somewhere else anyway). I'll stick with the European ones...about to do one from France on some Gaumont titles.
Old 08-05-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I use wish lists to keep track of stuff I'm interested in to possibly buy later, which also allow for individualized notes on each item.
The problem I have with the wish lists is they don't automatically show you what went up/down in price when you open one. They only show you the price when you added it to your list and the current price. With the "saved for later" you get instant price updates when you select "cart."

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-05-16 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Maybe I'm in some kind of minority of people who do this, but at Amazon U.S., Canada and the U.K. (and to a far lesser extent Germany, Italy and Japan) I keep the "saved for later" sections of my shopping carts full of items -- mostly movies -- that have peaked my interest over the years but for which I didn't want to pay full price. Sometimes stuff sits there for years; there's rarely a rush. When a sale like this comes up but shipping becomes an issue because I can't pick enough items to justify the cost per unit, I can at least skim through those sections of my carts extremely quickly and often find an extra piece or two to add to the order. I also check to see if there are other "deals" running concurrently. Amazon Canada has 17 other deals in the Movies & TV section at the moment, some good, some crap, I'm sure. Obviously there's no guarantee you'll find something to push an order into the comfort zone for shipping, but considering the extremely favorable current exchange rate for American shoppers it's certainly worth poking around. The Shout titles aren't going back down until September, so there's plenty of time, too.

https://www.amazon.ca/dvd-movies-blu...F8&node=917972

Either that or wait and see if the U.S. site has another deal on Shout titles. They had a pretty decent one earlier this year as I recall. The list of titles wasn't so inclusive, but it did feature shows that aren't part of this sale.
Yeah, the updated price in your saved items/cart is definitely the way to shop on any amazon site. That's how I finally ordered The Car on Blu-ray. I didn't realize it was part of a larger sale until I saw your post, here.

I only wish there was a way to set a threshold to avoid seeing notifications about items changing by a couple of cents.
Old 08-23-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I found a few deals at the local Dollarama for $3 each.

Boyhood (digipak)
Afternoon Delight
Third Person (Paul Haggis)
The Company Men
Inside Llweyn Davis
Battle in Seattle
Old 10-07-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

THE COMPLETE SCREAM COLLECTION (1-4) is down to $17.99 CDN / $13.55 US.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006DVB6C6/

Pretty sure that's an all time low, and it's the only way to get all four films (plus the documentaries on a fifth disc) all in one set.
Old 11-24-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re-posted from the Amazon U.K. thread:

The Hogwarts Collection for CAD $90, about $67 before shipping:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HVJLMDC

Boardwalk Empire Complete Series for CAD $86, about $64 before shipping:
https://www.amazon.ca/Boardwalk-Empi...dp/B00TKGID5E/
and adding:

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection
(State Fair / Oklahoma! / The King and I / Carousel / South Pacific / The Sound of Music)
$31.99 CAD / $24 US before shipping
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00JH0EVT0/
Old 11-24-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for re-posting Brian T. I'd forgotten there was a Canadian thread.
Old 11-25-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Wow! The James Bond Collection. 24 films for $69.99.

http://a.co/2H1cgeV
Old 11-25-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus
Wow! The James Bond Collection. 24 films for $69.99.

http://a.co/2H1cgeV
Comes to $61.55 USD shipped.
Old 11-28-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good deal on either side of the border:
Tarantino Ultimate Collection - $24.99 CDN / approx. $26.00 US shipped
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00U1QGJBM/
Old 11-28-16, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Comes to $61.55 USD shipped.
you can get that set for $57 at Zavvi today on Cyber monday if you have a region free player (It's region B locked)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.