The following Trade & Save titles are cheaper on Black Friday:

Pulp Fiction
Jarhead
Office Space
Mimic
Dark Knight
The Town
X-Men First Class

If you bought any of these with Trade & Save, you can buy them cheaper on Black Friday and then return them with your old receipt (Best Buy does not do price matching/adjustments on Black Friday weekend).

For Premiere Silver members, the date on your receipt will need to be Oct. 11 or later. For all other customers, your receipt will need to be Oct. 26 or later.
Old 11-15-11, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Black Friday ad

^ And if you want to save even more, then get Pulp Fiction at Target for $3.99.
Good thing about Target is that they have a 14-day price adjustment period. So, my wife wanted their $100 BF Nikon camera and we bought it yesterday for $200 and will just return with receipt on BF or the day after for $100 back. We have been doing this before instead of wrestling through the crowds on BF and had it confirmed by the regional manager that that is still Target's policy. Hopefully WM and/or Target will PM BF ads.
Old 11-15-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
You can add these BD/DVD/DC combo packs to the OP.

Horrible Bosses: Totally Inappropriate Edition - $11.99
Crazy Stupid Love - $11.99
Green Lantern - $9.99
Fast Five - $9.99
X-Men: First Class - $9.99

Green Lantern, Fast Five and X-Men: First Class are all three doorbusters.
Kicking myself for having no self-control and plucking down 22 bucks for X-men when it came out. I was very disappointed with the bonus features and did not buy Thor as a result. Figures they would have X-men on sale, but not Thor. Dammit!!
Old 11-15-11, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sotra
Good thing about Target is that they have a 14-day price adjustment period. So, my wife wanted their $100 BF Nikon camera and we bought it yesterday for $200 and will just return with receipt on BF or the day after for $100 back. We have been doing this before instead of wrestling through the crowds on BF and had it confirmed by the regional manager that that is still Target's policy. Hopefully WM and/or Target will PM BF ads.
Does this always work? Every year I ask someone at customer service (or a manager if I can catch one) at Target and Walmart about this (as well as the PM'ing policy on BF) and each year I'm told there will be absolutely no price adjustments done on BF. If they lied to me, I'd like to know so I can buy stuff ahead of time, but so far I've never tried this.
Old 11-15-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Worked for me on BF at Target in previous years. Never know if store specific, regional specific, or a discontinued policy.
Old 11-15-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Does this always work? Every year I ask someone at customer service (or a manager if I can catch one) at Target and Walmart about this (as well as the PM'ing policy on BF) and each year I'm told there will be absolutely no price adjustments done on BF. If they lied to me, I'd like to know so I can buy stuff ahead of time, but so far I've never tried this.
I'd say it also depends on the person at customer service and how lazy they are.
Old 11-15-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have done this in the past 4 years without any problems. I have even done it on doorbuster deals. I specifically remember 2 years ago getting a 1TB ext HD for $119 and getting $70 back on BF around noon time. I have looked on their website, in the store and in their BF ad and seen no mention of any amendments to their price adjustment policy. I also asked in store like I mentioned and the regional manager gave my wife his card and guaranteed personally that he would allow price adjustments on BF items since he had not heard of anything that would not allow it. So, I would suggest asking the biggest bigwig at your local Target (do it soon rather than a few days before) and if you don't get a satisfactory answer then email or call corporate about it.
When it comes to PMing on BF I am not sure. I was successful 2 years ago at BBY, but not last year, although it did work at WM and Target last year and I expect it to work at least at WM.
Old 11-15-11, 10:40 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

If they refuse to do a price adjustment, just return the item and rebuy it.

The only real difficulty you will run into is a lot of stores are moving to having a special model number, sku, or item package and not putting any of the stock out until that morning to prevent people from buying up all the stock before hand. For example, Best Buy has a Sharp 42" TV for $199. It is probably the exact same tv as something they currently sell (and I'm making up a model number here) TX42D500, but the one they will sell that morning for $199 will be TX42D500BF.
Old 11-15-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't do stores on BF, online only. I will probably go for a few of these if available online somewhere at comparable prices. If not, I'm sure I'll find other titles to spend money on. I usually drop a hundred or two on amazon during BF week, and a bit more during the holiday season.
Old 11-15-11, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
If they refuse to do a price adjustment, just return the item and rebuy it.
That's what I would normally do, but in the distant past when I returned a few things intending to do a return/rebuy, Target (and I think also Walmart) told me they can't let me rebuy it on the spot but I'd have to wait until they process it and put it out later (whenever that is). I think they just say that to prevent people from returning/rebuying past the price adjustment period. So it's always easiest to buy again and then return with the old receipt as it saves on the potential argument/hassle with customer service, but if the item is OOS (as is likely the case on BF) then it's a big YMMV.

I'll keep it all in mind for BF, and as suggested, I'm going to ask managers at both stores about all of these things for BF the next chance I get, but with work on my back that probably won't be until this weekend.
Old 11-16-11, 07:13 AM

^That's a load of BS. There's nothing to "process". As soon as they return the item, it's placed back in inventory and ready to be sold again.
Old 11-16-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

That's what I would normally do, but in the distant past when I returned a few things intending to do a return/rebuy, Target (and I think also Walmart) told me they can't let me rebuy it on the spot but I'd have to wait until they process it and put it out later (whenever that is). I think they just say that to prevent people from returning/rebuying past the price adjustment period. So it's always easiest to buy again and then return with the old receipt as it saves on the potential argument/hassle with customer service, but if the item is OOS (as is likely the case on BF) then it's a big YMMV.
That is utterly ridiculous, and I can't believe you believed them. How would they even enforce such a policy? Follow you until you leave the store?
Old 11-16-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll keep it all in mind for BF, and as suggested, I'm going to ask managers at both stores about all of these things for BF the next chance I get, but with work on my back that probably won't be until this weekend.
The only time I've ever encountered that policy was seeking a discount on an item from their clearance section. ie: Bought a clearance shirt discounted to $15. Showed two weeks later and the same shirt is now $10. They won't give you the discount difference. You have to return the shirt and rebuy it at the store. So assuming they don't have your size on the clearance rack for that shirt, it would then require you to wait till they have restocked your shirt you returned the clearance rack to then repurchase it. I've also encountered customer service reps who (if treated with respect) will allow you to return the item and turn around and repurchase (they can show that it was restocked) it at the lower price during the same visit. This allows them to follow protocol and take care of the customer.

I've never experienced what you are describing on a sale item.
Old 11-16-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
That is utterly ridiculous, and I can't believe you believed them. How would they even enforce such a policy? Follow you until you leave the store?
He meant the exact one he had returned. If there is another on the shelf, you can rebuy that one without a problem.
Old 11-16-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sotra
I've seen where the store will bring in special packs on such items with a different upc than the one they sell every day.
Old 11-16-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Kicking myself for having no self-control and plucking down 22 bucks for X-men when it came out. I was very disappointed with the bonus features and did not buy Thor as a result. Figures they would have X-men on sale, but not Thor. Dammit!!
Exactly the same for me! What's up with that????
Old 11-16-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

This looks better than last year, but I will be camping out on Amazon in hopes of their more deals, and price matching (particularly on Pulp Fiction, Mad Men, Batman and Uncharted 3)!
Old 11-17-11, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It's very easy how they enforce not letting me rebuy the item on the spot after I return it to customer service... at Target they throw it into a black bin and at Walmart throw it into a shopping cart (and "throw" is the right word... perhaps chuck, fling, or heave would be better). Both of those are behind the customer service counter so I can't reach them, they won't give the item to me, and I think they'd call the cops if I dared to walk behind the counter where they are to get the item. If the store is OOS (which is the only time I would attempt to do a return/rebuy rather than rebuy and return later), there's nothing I can do. Only if I were that stretchy guy from Fantastic Four could I possibly grab the item out of the cart/bin without them seeing it and getting mad.
Old 11-17-11, 08:57 AM

After they refuse a price adjustment, just say "then I'd like to return it and repurchase it". I've never had a problem with this once the employees realize it will be easier to just do the damn price adjustment. If they give you a hard time about it, speak with a manager. There is nothing wrong with what you are trying to do here.
Old 11-17-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

This return/rebuy is difficult at most targets because they won't do it.

Item (possibly could be a lie) needs to be restocked into the system.
Old 11-17-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by vietduckboi
i think it's midnight thursday...?
Sounds good for customers, bad for employees.
Old 11-17-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

No deals on the recent Pirates of the Caribbean movie I take it?
Old 11-17-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only if I were that stretchy guy from Fantastic Four could I possibly grab the item out of the cart/bin without them seeing it and getting mad.
That would be the immodestly self-annointed "MR. FANTASTIC."
Old 11-17-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very easy how they enforce not letting me rebuy the item on the spot after I return it to customer service... at Target they throw it into a black bin and at Walmart throw it into a shopping cart (and "throw" is the right word... perhaps chuck, fling, or heave would be better). Both of those are behind the customer service counter so I can't reach them, they won't give the item to me, and I think they'd call the cops if I dared to walk behind the counter where they are to get the item. If the store is OOS (which is the only time I would attempt to do a return/rebuy rather than rebuy and return later), there's nothing I can do. Only if I were that stretchy guy from Fantastic Four could I possibly grab the item out of the cart/bin without them seeing it and getting mad.
Earlier this year my friend bought a few hard to find things at WM for me, but I wanted to use my credit card. We were to CS and told them up front that he wanted to return the items, so I could purchase them on my C/C. The clerk returned the items, then refused to let me buy them. We stood there arguing with her, since we clearly told her up front that's what we wanted to do. If she couldn't do it, then she should have said so before she did the return. We insisted on speaking to a manager. The manager was siding with the clerk! But we stood our ground and were basically screaming at them, since it was the most ridiculous thing we had ever witnessed. If she had just said "We can't do that" we would have simply left the store with no fuss. But there's no way in hell we were going to let them screw us over. Eventually they gave in. But I was pissed. I refuse to go to that WM anymore.
Old 11-17-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
No deals on the recent Pirates of the Caribbean movie I take it?
Black Friday:

Toys R Us: Pirates 2-disc combo - $14.99

Nov. 20-23:

Best Buy: Pirates 5-disc 3D combo - $24.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.