Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Old 06-01-11, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

So was it just completely random stores having the blus for 99 cents? Every store I called said they were just having the 5/$20 sale.
Old 06-01-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 268 Likes on 193 Posts

From what I read on blu-ray.com, there are stores that are considered corporate stores, and others are franchise stores. I have no idea how they differentiate the two, but the corporate stores are the ones who had the .99 blu rays. I was also told by two stores I talked to yesterday, that all the remaining stock has been boxed up and stored in their backroom until they do the sale again, most likely on *cough* father's day *cough*
Old 06-01-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
If I get turned down at any store, I don't yell or cause a scene but usually say something as I walk out like "no wonder I don't shop here very often". I've heard other customers leave other stores saying a lot worse and using profanity which I don't. Had the Blockbuster manager said no about the price adjustment, I probably would've said "I'm very disappointed. I guess I'll have to be more careful in the future buying stuff at Blockbuster since all sales are final and you never know what better sale is right around the corner". If I were in a real foul mood I might say "I can see why you guys went bankrupt" or "I don't understand how you stay in business".
And this is why people think you are an ass.
Old 06-01-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were at least 30 titles I had bought last week on the 5 for $20 deal that I saw for $2.99. I wish I could predict the future and know I should have waited on those to save $1 each. Of course at Blockbuster all sales are final and no price adjustments within 30 days which makes me glad they don't do these sales too often. I have no problem with everyone getting 5 for $20, but if within 30 days they offer the same stuff a lot cheaper that bothers me. If I go back on 99c day, everything I bought will probably still be there and everything I didn't buy but wanted to won't (Murphy's Law).
You take the risk they may or may NOT go on sale...it's your risk. To be "bothered" by the fact it went and sale later and YOU TOOK THE RISK is not on them, it's on YOU. The fact that you are "bothered" by the price adjustment is the problem here. It's your issue, not Blockbuster. That's the problem with your posts....it's always "seems" to be the retailer who is at fault. Take some personal responsibility and stop complaining about how you are getting screwed. It can't always be the retailer at fault.

Another option is if you can't change your mindset (which is unlikely), then don't bother dumping "your issues" (ie Posting) in the deals threads. As you stated yourself:

But then if I didn't complain, I'd hardly ever post.

...maybe that's the best answer.

***************** (edit)
Putting some additional thought into this....How about a compromise. If you have an issue with a store policy or personel...instead posting it in the deals thread...start a post in the store forum. That way you can still vent, but you don't clutter the deals thread with your issues. Both parties accomplish what they want? Would that work for you?

Last edited by RonBoster; 06-01-11 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added compromise paragraph
Old 06-01-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

Any more Used deal-e-o's at Blockbuster?
Old 06-01-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net View Post
Father's Day (as reported above) and 4th of July weekend seem to be the next time we'll see BR sales (like this) at BB.
Old 06-01-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by gcribbs View Post
Your little snide comments on leaving would put you in my never do anything I did not have to do for him category.
I didn't make a single snide comment to this manager. I might have said something very minor had he said no, but he was a nice guy and I was nice back. I think most people here have a distorted sense or proportion. Saying that you'd be reluctant to do business with a store again or that you wonder how they stay in business is not a crime or a punishable offense, though in your world it probably would be (at least if I were involved).

I always loved to see that guy who stormed out a few months earlier making a comment like you mentioned come in and ask for an exception to a policy or a favor.
I have enough sense not to do that. I remember the places and people who are that way and avoid them. I wouldn't want to give a manager or supervisor like you who gets off on denying people the satisfaction. I think some people go into management because they enjoy power over others, even if it's only 1 retail store.

I would savor every moment of my no as I watched him yet again get upset at me.
Proving that you're vengeful and malevolent towards certain people. IMHO, a far worse trait than a chronic complainer like me. You see, I complain but I don't do anything to harm other people unless you consider a single snide remark as I leave the door "harming someone". However, you go out of your way to cause people to get upset and make them go to another store because you are seeking revenge on people you don't like.

I have even seen people who have done things like that asking other managers for exceptions and made sure to come over and stop it from happening.
Yes I've encountered people like that at my local BB where supervisors or managers would run over to make sure I didn't get any coupons or pricematches because they didn't like my snide comment that last time they denied what I thought was a legitimate request. However, that has only happened at BB, and that was before I learned to stop buying much there, stop trying to use coupons, and stop requesting anything special from them. That way they can't say no. Of course after all this time it's all new people who don't know me, but fortunately almost anything I can get at BB I can get somewhere else for less.

It was always nice helping our good customers. I could care less about helping the ones who did nothing but complain and demand.
I complain here more than at the stores. The funny part is that I never complained or got into long posts in this thread until John's attack. This has been a good reminder that I need to tone my complaints down... not that some of you deserve it but if I've provoked this much reaction from people I haven't heard from before, then yes I'm obviously overdoing it and people are more sensitive to complaining than I realized. Mea culpa on this one.

At this point though it's not like I have to worry about saving my reputation here. Some of you guys (as gcribbs said above) are clearly vengeful and unforgiving such that if I never complained again, you'd still hold it against me forever. I wouldn't presume to say I'll never complain again because if I post an experience where I wasn't successful (coupon not accepted or they were out of stock) then it's a complaint. Fortunately and hopefully none of us will ever meet. But every time you see an evil customer in a store you can wonder... is it Manzana, the epitomy of pure evil?

All I can say is I'll try to tone the complaining down going forward. I recommend all of you who don't like me, seriously just completely skip anything I post if it's more than a small paragraph.

Last edited by Manzana; 06-01-11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
From what I read on blu-ray.com, there are stores that are considered corporate stores, and others are franchise stores. I have no idea how they differentiate the two, but the corporate stores are the ones who had the .99 blu rays. I was also told by two stores I talked to yesterday, that all the remaining stock has been boxed up and stored in their backroom until they do the sale again, most likely on *cough* father's day *cough*
If your store is having the 5 for $20 sale or received any of the clearance stock (.99 blu-rays or dvds), then it's corporate. The majority of Blockbusters are corporate (~80%). Of the 4 stores near me that are all corporate, not a single one got the clearance blus (just dvds). The only reason I heard for certain stores receiving the .99 bds was that they sold the most in their area during the 5 for $20 deal. It could be that...or it could be totally random.

$5 for 20 still on until Monday.
Old 06-01-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Also this thread finally made me dig into if there was an ignore function on DVDTalk
Are the pages loading quicker?

I am a victim. The whole world is against me and only me.
Fixed.
Old 06-01-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't presume to say I'll never complain again because if I post an experience where I wasn't successful (coupon not accepted or they were out of stock) then it's a complaint.

All I can say is I'll try to tone the complaining down going forward. I recommend all of you who don't like me, seriously just completely skip anything I post if it's more than a small paragraph.
About about instead of complaining in the deals threads....take your complaint to the store forum...let's face it....that's really where it belongs. You get to complain and we don't have the deals threads bogged down with your customer service complaints. Why would you not do that as a compromise?
Old 06-01-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster View Post
You take the risk they may or may NOT go on sale...it's your risk. To be "bothered" by the fact it went and sale later and YOU TOOK THE RISK is not on them, it's on YOU. The fact that you are "bothered" by the price adjustment is the problem here. It's your issue, not Blockbuster. That's the problem with your posts....it's always "seems" to be the retailer who is at fault. Take some personal responsibility and stop complaining about how you are getting screwed. It can't always be the retailer at fault.
There was also an extenuating circumstance. The manager on Sunday told me they would be $2.99 until Tuesday when I couldn't make it until the evening due to work. So I thought if I don't get them on Sunday for $2.99 then I'd probably get nothing for 99 cents on Tuesday evening. When I found out from posts here that 99 cents was happening Monday morning (a holiday) then I was able to make it. So, had I been given accurate info on Sunday, then I would've only bought the ones I really wanted that had few copies, and in that case your comment about my taking the risk would be fully valid. However, I trusted the manager's info over what was posted here about 99 cent day on Monday vs. Tuesday and bought more than I would've.

The reason the manager did is was that (1) he was a nice guy, (2) I was nice about it to him, and (3) he was understanding due to the inaccurate info I had been given. Had the manager been gscribbs, even if he had given me misinformation, he would've told me to take a long walk off a short pier and enjoyed watching me get upset.

Being a reasonable guy, I'm seeing where you some of you are coming from. You said the key is "The fact that you are "bothered" by the price adjustment is the problem here." Well, I wasn't bothered by the adjustment (I was happy to get it as I said). I think you mean the fact I was bothered by the price drop and asked for an adjustment is the problem. OK. I could understand that if I had been given correct info, but the incorrect info was an extenuating circumstance (pretty sure I mentioned this in my first post). Had I known for sure the price drop was on Monday instead of Tuesday, and complained about something I knew was going to happen, yes that would be pretty lame of me.

Another option is if you can't change your mindset (which is unlikely), then don't bother dumping "your issues" (ie Posting) in the deals threads. As you stated yourself:

...maybe that's the best answer.

***************** (edit)
Putting some additional thought into this....How about a compromise. If you have an issue with a store policy or personel...instead posting it in the deals thread...start a post in the store forum. That way you can still vent, but you don't clutter the deals thread with your issues. Both parties accomplish what they want? Would that work for you?
I'll try to tone it down. The problem is I go in cycles. I'll remember for a while to not complain, but then I'll have a bad experience and want to post it and probably forget until the responses come again. Seriously, is there a thread that anyone actually reads about store issues for each store, i.e. a BB, Fry's, or Walmart thread? If you point me to those, I'll take my longer posts off to other areas, but I don't think anyone would see my responses. That's probably the goal. Thankfully I'm a super fast typer.

In the meantime I'll try to tone down the complaining. The reason I post so much in defense is that I'm being labeled as a devil customer and seriously I don't act much different than other people I've observed except (1) I may ask for special things nobody else thinks to ask and (2) if I'm denied on something I think is legitimate I tend to make a snide (but nothing offensive) remark on the way out. Heck, when I'm in a long line at Walmart I often mutter to myself "this is ridiculous... why doesn't Walmart hire some more cashiers instead of being so cheap". More often than not I've had other people in line say "I agree", but once I had a guy act like he was going to beat me up because he start blabbing about how I should feel sorry for the cashiers working so hard and told me to shut up. That's probably the gscripps type. If I were the master of my emotions, then I'd just keep my mouth shut. Unfortunately I'm not. I guess expressing one's frustrations doesn't go over well with most people. Fortunately I have a circle of friends and family who understand me and realize I'm a nice guy even though I'm often a negative complainer. I have to remember that outside of that most people are so intolerant that if you make a legitimate complaint, it serves no purpose other than makes those intolerant people dislike you.

Sorry again. Done for now.
Old 06-01-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't make a single snide comment to this manager. I might have said something very minor had he said no, but he was a nice guy and I was nice back. I think most people here have a distorted sense or proportion. Saying that you'd be reluctant to do business with a store again or that you wonder how they stay in business is not a crime or a punishable offense, though in your world it probably would be (at least if I were involved).

I have enough sense not to do that. I remember the places and people who are that way and avoid them. I wouldn't want to give a manager or supervisor like you who gets off on denying people the satisfaction. I think some people go into management because they enjoy power over others, even if it's only 1 retail store.

Proving that you're vengeful and malevolent towards certain people. IMHO, a far worse trait than a chronic complainer like me. You see, I complain but I don't do anything to harm other people unless you consider a single snide remark as I leave the door "harming someone". However, you go out of your way to cause people to get upset and make them go to another store because you are seeking revenge on people you don't like.

Yes I've encountered people like that at my local BB where supervisors or managers would run over to make sure I didn't get any coupons or pricematches because they didn't like my snide comment that last time they denied what I thought was a legitimate request. However, that has only happened at BB, and that was before I learned to stop buying much there, stop trying to use coupons, and stop requesting anything special from them. That way they can't say no. Of course after all this time it's all new people who don't know me, but fortunately almost anything I can get at BB I can get somewhere else for less.

I complain here more than at the stores. The funny part is that I never complained or got into long posts in this thread until John's attack. This has been a good reminder that I need to tone my complaints down... not that some of you deserve it but if I've provoked this much reaction from people I haven't heard from before, then yes I'm obviously overdoing it and people are more sensitive to complaining than I realized. Mea culpa on this one.

At this point though it's not like I have to worry about saving my reputation here. Some of you guys (as gcribbs said above) are clearly vengeful and unforgiving such that if I never complained again, you'd still hold it against me forever. I wouldn't presume to say I'll never complain again because if I post an experience where I wasn't successful (coupon not accepted or they were out of stock) then it's a complaint. Fortunately and hopefully none of us will ever meet. But every time you see an evil customer in a store you can wonder... is it Manzana, the epitomy of pure evil?

No one including myself said that people who do these things are evil.

You just forget that people often have differing abilities to do things in stores. That store manager who made an exception that he was allowed to do is different from that shift supervisor called a manager by the employees who has no ability to do it.

You have no idea if that "manager" who you are asking to adjust that extra coupon was just written up for violating a policy by overiding a past sale item for a customer without a raincheck so he got in trouble and his job is now at risk.

You just know you are not getting that extra $5 off and take it personally assuming they could but just won't.

Retail people in spite of appearances are just other people with problems and bad days who often do not want to lose their job and are often afraid to do anything they think will make them lose it. So sticking to what the register will easily let them do is safer. Forcing the register to do something might get them fired.

So you are right. I enjoyed not helping those people who treated my employees badly. I was nice to them while doing as little as I could for them because I would rather they leave and never come back.

I saw your new post and it made me smile. You do understand that people who only hear you complain or make a snide comment as you leave can not read inside your soul to see if you are nice or not right?

We only see the outside you show us for the few minutes you let us see it. Then as humans we decide who you are based on that little bit of information. Which is why you should realize the inner you that those retail employees who do not do what you want never see does not exist in their world. Only the little comment you toss at them as you storm out.

Just like you make assumptions as to who they are based on not letting you get that $5 extra off the price. They do the same to you.

Last edited by gcribbs; 06-01-11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 01:18 PM
Mao

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

... I'm often a negative complainer.
Manzana, clearly your negativity is breeding more negativity here. I'm sure you can see that.

I completely agree with RonBoster. Your critical comments (good or bad) are best reserved for the store forum. As for whether anyone would read them or not...that's where they clearly belong.
Old 06-01-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mao View Post
Manzana, clearly your negativity is breeding more negativity here. I'm sure you can see that.

I completely agree with RonBoster. Your critical comments (good or bad) are best reserved for the store forum. As for whether anyone would read them or not...that's where they clearly belong.
But then he runs the risk of not enough people reading his complaints.

If you point me to those, I'll take my longer posts off to other areas, but I don't think anyone would see my responses.
Old 06-01-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A site with pairings of cheese to go with wine.
Old 06-01-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Are the pages loading quicker?
Sure feels like it!

Then again everyone quoting the person I put on my ignore list, outdoes the ignore list

I'm still jealous of everyone who found titles that everyone has been finding plus a lot of the $12.99-16.99 (at other stores)
Old 06-01-11, 03:04 PM

Seriously, is there a thread that anyone actually reads about store issues for each store, i.e. a BB, Fry's, or Walmart thread? If you point me to those, I'll take my longer posts off to other areas, but I don't think anyone would see my responses. That's probably the goal. Thankfully I'm a super fast typer.
Please don't take this the wrong way, because it isn't meant to sound harsh. And, I know my post total is nowhere near most people in here. However, regardless of whether or not people are going to read your rants, the store forum section is where they should go.

Perhaps start a thread called Marzana's Rants. This way, your comments are in one place and not separated by store. Otherwise, you can create a new thread for each store you have a problem with and you can add to them any time there is a problem.

Personally, your rants don't bother me that much. However, the backlash and the back-and-forth that ensues is bothersome.

With all that said, I'm sorry that a lot of deals people find don't seem to work out for you. Hopefully, that'll change in the future.
Old 06-01-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cfmoran13 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, because it isn't meant to sound harsh. And, I know my post total is nowhere near most people in here. However, regardless of whether or not people are going to read your rants, the store forum section is where they should go.

Perhaps start a thread called Marzana's Rants. This way, your comments are in one place and not separated by store. Otherwise, you can create a new thread for each store you have a problem with and you can add to them any time there is a problem.

Personally, your rants don't bother me that much. However, the backlash and the back-and-forth that ensues is bothersome.

With all that said, I'm sorry that a lot of deals people find don't seem to work out for you. Hopefully, that'll change in the future.
That would take up the whole first page and nothing will ever bump those off of the first page.

Kudos though to Manzana for admitting that he whines and complains a lot (his words)
Old 06-01-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can we vote and declare a winner of this debate?
Old 06-01-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sumdeus View Post
Can we vote and declare a winner of this debate?
Mao has his finger over the big red nuke button so I say he wins.
Old 06-01-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
Mao has his finger over the big red nuke button so I say he wins.
I agree the decision has been made. Manzana can take his store complaints etc to the store forum. The instructions are pretty black and white.

I would suggest if there is a "violation" of the modertor's decision, then use the report post button instead of commenting and let Mao or another moderator take care of the matter. If we reply or quote then we are compounding the problem...let's let the moderators do their job and I bet everything will work out for all parties.
Old 06-01-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfmoran13 View Post

Perhaps start a thread called Marzana's Rants. This way, your comments are in one place and not separated by store.
It's true that great minds think alike: I was going to suggest the exact same thing to Manzana, only I thought he should call it MANZANA'S RANTS AND RAVES, just in case he had something favorable to say about a store or his experience there. It might also inspire him to be less negative at times and focus on some of the more positive aspects of the hobby. But in any case, having your own personal thread would allow you to post just about anything you like, any way you like.

And, Manzana, don't be too sure that no one would read such a thread. My guess is that lots of people would tune in, especially those who appear to be so diametrically opposed to you, though they might not admit continuing to follow your travails.
Old 06-01-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
It's true that great minds think alike: I was going to suggest the exact same thing to Manzana, only I thought he should call it MANZANA'S RANTS AND RAVES, just in case he had something favorable to say about a store or his experience there. It might also inspire him to be less negative at times and focus on some of the more positive aspects of the hobby. But in any case, having your own personal thread would allow you to post just about anything you like, any way you like.

And, Manzana, don't be too sure that no one would read such a thread. My guess is that lots of people would tune in, especially those who appear to be so diametrically opposed to you, though they might not admit continuing to follow your travails.
or how about

What grinds Manzana's gears!!!!

or

It's raining Manzana, hallelujah!!!
Old 06-01-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

Father's Day (as reported above) and 4th of July weekend seem to be the next time we'll see BR sales (like this) at BB.
Thanks... and I would rather hear about that than the where this thread is headed..
Old 06-01-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks... and I would rather hear about that than the where this thread is headed..
I think we're done, but yeah, the guy at my local BBV said that they are shipping back the unsold stock to get ready for the sale on 7/1

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.