Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Originally Posted by bobwil54
Yeah I couldn't believe the 6 Tampa stores I called had none nor did they know what the hell I was talking about. The only stores in the area that had 99 cent blus were Clearwater and Dunedin.
I was actually at the Dunedin store a little after 10 am and they had 6 big plastic tubs full. They had some good stuff and I walked away with 36 Blu's. I even managed to snag the 1st and 3rd Dragon Tattoo films (I ended up doing the 5 for $20 on the second one).

By the time I got there, there was already a guy with almost 100 of them on the counter sorting them out to buy. Glad I got there when I did.
Old 05-31-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
It's posts like these that make me understand why you have so many issues at your local retail stores. You were already getting 70-80% off these titles knowing quantities were limited and all sales were final, yet it's not enough for you and when you see that you could have saved an extra $2 if you had waited a day you ask them to refund the difference to you. That's part of the risk involved with sales like these. That is incredibly insulting and I would have been pissed to even be asked that question if I were working at the store.
It's posts like yours that make me understand why you are the way you are. With little knowledge of the situation you act like I go around demanding and threatening people when in fact the manager remembered me from the previous day (because we were getting along well chatting) and I mentioned I came in today because 99 cent day was actually today even though he told me yesterday it would be on Tuesday when I couldn't make it in the morning. So I said I wish I hadn't bought most of those yesterday as most were still on the shelf, and had I known 99 cent day was Monday I would've bought a lot less yesterday. Then I mentioned I don't suppose there's a way you could give me a credit even though I know you don't have to because all sales are final. And he offered to split the difference and was as nice as could be, as was I. I suppose if John Galt were the manager, when I dared ask this horrible insulting question a set of brass knuckles would've come over the counter promptly removing all my teeth and then maybe you would've kicked me and thrown me in the dumpsters with a broad smile. Because I clearly deserve that for asking if I could get a slight adjustment because I was accidentally misinformed.

So the only problem that exists is the one you chose to create out of nowhere. I can't even discuss things I did or how a manager was nice to me without a member of the MAC (Manzana Attackers Club) hurling the usual insults. My only troubles are with BB, and I avoid them, and you'll be happy to know that even though I'm clearly the worst customer in the world (going in there maybe once a month or two and usually buying nothing) that BB voluntarily give me Silver RZ status (not that I'll ever use it).

And let me think of all the other places I have trouble with... I can't think of any. I just get unhappy with out of stock, long lines, or people not knowing what they carry (i.e. Walmart or Fry's). Surely I'm the only person who does that, and everyone else in this world is an angel customer. Those are my opinions.

RonBoster, was that longwinded enough for you?
Old 05-31-11, 12:02 PM

The 2 stores I went to yesterday both said anything left would go back to regular price.
Thanks for answering the question. It's refreshing to get an answer to a question rather than personal attacks (as others often do).
Old 05-31-11, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Thanks for answering the question. It's refreshing to get an answer to a question rather than personal attacks (as others often do).
The store I went to yesterday stated they are supposed to go back to a $4.99 price and there maybe another similar sale on July 4th weekend. But she also sated this was not set in stone, so they might receive an email from management today stating what to do with the left overs. I am waiting too to see if anyone says there is good deal today.

Last edited by Willo007; 05-31-11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-31-11, 12:30 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Manzana,

1) There is no need for all the hyperbole.

2) Can you please bold the part where there was either an insult or a personal attack?

3) Nobody on this board picks on you simply because we're a member of some club. Yes, you get mentioned from time to time in any Best Buy thread. But that is all good natured ribbing...sort of how we used to have fun with a certain dumpster diver and his viper blue.

The whole point of my post is to point out to you that there is a reason why you have so many issues with certain stores. You have made it no secret that you are constantly having these complaints. Everyone on here has experienced similar stories, but nobody to the extreme that you have. When one person has such a high level of these, there is probably more to it than simply bad luck. From my experience in retail, there is a high correlation between a persons actions/attitude/mannerisms and how they are treated by the employee.

Now, nobody knows what actually transpired between you and the manager, but judging from your posting history, I would bet that it is not quite the way you posted. This manager was obviously willing to help you out, but had he not, I'm sure we would have gotten a long rant about how you drove 15 miles out of your way to go to this store and the manager there was such a jerk and made the experience so horrible that you'll never go back.
Old 05-31-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Went into the store in Lewisville, TX this morning and asked about the $.99 DVDs. The clerk told me the sale was supposed to end yesterday, but encouraged me to pick out a DVD and see what price it scanned at. The DVD still still scanned at $.99. They didn't have any blus, but I managed to find 4 DVDs I wanted.
Old 05-31-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm so jealous of any of you who got Salt for $1 or in the 5/$20 sale.

Also this thread finally made me dig into if there was an ignore function on DVDTalk

P.S: JohnGalt, glad you were able to get in on this sale.
Old 05-31-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone on here has experienced similar stories, but nobody to the extreme that you have. When one person has such a high level of these, there is probably more to it than simply bad luck. From my experience in retail, there is a high correlation between a persons actions/attitude/mannerisms and how they are treated by the employee.
You hit the nail on the head. I would add not just extreme, but the high percentage of issues relative to the number of visits. It's taking the adage, "the customer is always right" too literal. One could create an entire season of stories for "Curb Your Enthusiasm" from his store experiences. No offense to Larry David.
Old 05-31-11, 03:18 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I now have another definition of the word "cheap".
Old 05-31-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My only troubles are with BB, and I avoid them, and you'll be happy to know that even though I'm clearly the worst customer in the world (going in there maybe once a month or two and usually buying nothing) that BB voluntarily give me Silver RZ status (not that I'll ever use it).
So besides those one or two visits per month and posting in every Best Buy related thread, how's that whole "avoiding Best Buy" thing going?
Old 05-31-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I hit two BBV's on the way home (the only 2 on my way)...and both had just the 5-$20 Blu-Rays ($9.99 and under).

I still got a good haul with 15 Blu's for $60, but not what other people are finding.

One I went to did have the .99 stack, but they were DVD only and 50% of them were the movie 'Baby Mama'.
This. I asked about the 99 cent Blus but the stores offering them were clear across town and it 4:00pm. It would have been $10 in gas and at least 90 minutes to save the $15.
Old 05-31-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I'm so jealous of any of you who got Salt for $1 or in the 5/$20 sale.
I got the only two copies I saw in any of the store I checked (about 10 of them) - PM me if you've got anything to trade for one.
Old 05-31-11, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
I was actually at the Dunedin store a little after 10 am and they had 6 big plastic tubs full. They had some good stuff and I walked away with 36 Blu's. I even managed to snag the 1st and 3rd Dragon Tattoo films (I ended up doing the 5 for $20 on the second one).

By the time I got there, there was already a guy with almost 100 of them on the counter sorting them out to buy. Glad I got there when I did.
I was there when that guy was doing it. I got there when they opened and bought over 100 and went back a couple of hours later found a few that someone had hidden. Did you go to the Gulf to Bay store? That was the only other store that I know of doing the sale. I was shocked that not 1 store in Tampa was doing it or atleast the 6 I called.
Old 05-31-11, 08:38 PM

I was there when that guy was doing it. I got there when they opened and bought over 100 and went back a couple of hours later found a few that someone had hidden. Did you go to the Gulf to Bay store? That was the only other store that I know of doing the sale. I was shocked that not 1 store in Tampa was doing it or atleast the 6 I called.
I basically hit all the wrong stores. I didn't call ahead to any of them and went to the one down the street from me on Tampa Rd. and McMullen Booth. Then I hit the Dunedin store right after. Then I took a chance at the one on Linebaugh near Citrus Park.

I was actually getting annoyed at that guy because he kept looking at his stack and randomly putting some back, and then grabbing more, and putting them back over and over. I was gonna just go over to his stuff and take what I wanted cause it was hard to keep track of what he was dumping back in the bins. I think he was one of those clowns from the flea market looking to make a total profit and not for a collection.
Old 05-31-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found out that the Dearborn Heights store (Ford Rd. E. of Telegraph) had stuff and on a wild shot in the dark, I returned to Hazel Park after work and was shocked to find that a few of the titles I didn't bite on Sunday were still there. The sucky part was finding a half-dozen titles I'd bought yesterday on DVD on Blu. Argh!

My (I think) final buys (rebuys with *):

* After.Life
* Amelia
* Angels & Demons
* Astro Boy
* Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
* Case 39
* City Island*
* Death at a Funeral (I also bought the original on DVD for comparison)
* Did You Hear About the Morgans?
* Easy Virtue
* The Greatest*
* House of Wax
* Harry Brown*
* Leaves of Grass*
* The Messenger*
* Milk
* Obsessed
* Paranormal Activity
* Persepolis
* Revolutionary Road
* Righteous Kill
* Semi-Pro
* Sorority Row*
* Tailor of Panama
* Traitor
* Whiteout
* X-Files: I Want to Believe

That brings my total of Blus bought since the 5/$20 began to 99. Yeep!

Correction/Update: Not sure where I messed up, but I count 102 Blus now going into my collection. Full list under spoiler:

Spoiler:
* 17 Again
* 44-Inch Chest
* After.Life
* Alien vs. Predator
* Amelia
* The American
* Angels & Demons
* Armored
* Astro Boy
* Baby On Board
* Bad Lieutenant New Orleans
* Beetlejuice
* Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
* Brooklyn's Finest
* Bruno
* Case 39
* Chloe
* City Island
* Dance Flick
* Death at a Funeral
* Deliverance
* Did You Hear About the Morgans?
* District B13 Ultimatum
* Disturbia
* Domino
* Easy Virtue
* The Expendables
* Friday the 13th (original)
* Funny People
* The Girl Who Played With Fire
* The Greatest
* Harry Brown
* Hot Rod
* House of Wax
* The Hurt Locker
* Jet Li's Fearless
* JFK
* Julie & Julia
* The Karate Kid
* Killers
* The Kite Runner
* Lakeview Terrace
* Leaves of Grass*
* The Line
* Lonesome Dove
* Management
* Mean Girls
* The Men Who Stare at Goats
* The Messenger
* Milk
* The Mist
* The New Daughter
* Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
* Ninja
* Obsessed
* Ong Bak 2
* The Other Guys
* Pandorum
* Paranormal Activity
* Persepolis
* Piranha
* Planet 51
* Planet Terror
* Please Give
* Ponyo
* The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
* The Reader
* Red Cliff Pt. I
* Red Cliff Pt. II
* The Replacement Killers
* Resident Evil Afterlife
* Revolutionary Road
* Righteous Kill
* Salt
* Scooby Doo
* Semi-Pro
* Sex Drive
* Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
* Sky High
* Sleep Dealer
* Sorority Row
* Southland Tales
* Staten Island
* The Stepfather
* Step Up 3
* Surrogates
* Tailor of Panama
* Traitor
* The Truman Show
* Twister
* Two Lovers
* Unthinkable
* Up in the Air
* Vacancy
* Vicky Christina Barcelona
* The Visitor
* Warriors of Heaven and Earth
* What Just Happened
* Whiteout
* The White Ribbon
* X-Files: I Want to Believe
* Youth in Revolt

62 @ 99 cents = $62
17 @ $2.99 = $51
23 @ 5/$20 = $92

Total: 102 BDs for $205 or $2.00+tax or $2.12 OTD.

Also bought ~83 DVDs @ 99 cents each, though some ended up redundant when I found BDs of the movies. Also picked up a few odds and ends for the g/f, so I spent a little over $300 for almost 200 discs.

Last edited by DirkBelig; 06-01-11 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-31-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's posts like these that make me understand why you have so many issues at your local retail stores. You were already getting 70-80% off these titles knowing quantities were limited and all sales were final, yet it's not enough for you and when you see that you could have saved an extra $2 if you had waited a day you ask them to refund the difference to you. That's part of the risk involved with sales like these. That is incredibly insulting and I would have been pissed to even be asked that question if I were working at the store.
It's posts like this that make me wonder why you care. I don't defend Mananza on everything he does, but there is no indication that he was belligerent or demanding. Maybe he was, I don't know. But if all he did was ask and the manager conceded -- why not take him up on the offer. It is frustrating the amount of money we spend on this hobby to see that waiting just a day would have saved another 67%. It's just a good thing for Mananza's sake that you weren't the manager
Old 05-31-11, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got around to making a list of what I got today and yesterday. Still need to make a list of the 5 for 20. I NEED DISC 1 and 3 for BAND OF BROTHERS. ANYTHING FOR TRADE
17 Again
30 Days of Night: Dark Days x3
100 Feet
A Serious Man
An American Carol
An Education
Angels and Demons x2
Atonement
Away We Go
Band of Brothers Disc 2 (Incoming)
Band of Brothers Disc 4 x3 (1 out going for Disc 2, 1 For Trade, 1 Not For Trade)
Band of Brothers Disc 5 & 6 (Not For Trade)
Before The Devil Knows You’re dead
Beyond A Reasonable Doubt
Boondock Saints 2
Bored To Death Season 1 DVD
Brothers
Bruno
Case 39 x2
Catfish
Chloe x2
Chosen One x2
Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe x2
City Island
Cop Out (Rental)
Dance Flick
Dear John x2
Deliverance
District 9
Dolan’s Cadillac
Doom
Dorian Gray
Doubt
Dragon Wars x2
Easy A
Easy Virtue x2
Eat Pray Love x2
Edge of Darkness (Rental)
End of Days
Extraordinary Measures
Eyes Wide Shut
Fame (Rental)
Flyboys
Fourth Kind
Friday the 13th Uncut
Furry Vengeance
Ghost Writer
Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest x2
Girl Who Played With Fire x2
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo x2
Give Em Hell Malone
Gods and Generals
Going the Distance (Rental)
Great Raid
Green Zone x2
Grey’s Anatomy Season 4 x3
Grey's Anatomy Season 4 Disc 3 (Bought By Accident)
Harry Brown x2
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Rental)
Heartbreak Kid (Incoming)
Hitch
House of Wax
I Hate Valentine’s Day
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Inkheart
Invention of Lying
Is Anybody There?
It’s Complicated x2
JCV
Julie and Julia x2
Just Wright (Rental)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Lakeview Terrace
Law Abiding Citizen (Disc 1)
Leaves of Grass
Legendary x4
Legion
Let Me In
Letters to Juliet x2
Locked Down
Lost Season 4 DVD
Love Ranch x4
Mad Money
Memento
My Soul to Take (Rental)
Nacho Libre (Incoming)
Night Train
Observe and Report
Paranormal Activity
Pirate Radio x2
Please Give
Push
Rachel Getting Married
Remember Me
Rescue Dawn
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Revolutionary Road
Semi Pro
Sex Drive
She’s Out of My League
Shorts
Slumdog Millionaire
Spread
Stealth
Step Up 3
Stolen
Stranger Than Fiction
Takers
Tenure
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 1
The Bounty Hunter
The Brothers Bloom
The Contract
The Duchess
The Expendables
The Experiment
The Express
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
The Greatest
The Invisible
The Karate Kid Remake
The Kids Are All Right
The Last Song (Disc 1)
The Men Who Stare At Goats x2
The Merry Gentleman
The Messengers
The Messenger x2
The Ministers
The Other Man x2
The Road
The She Found Me
The Soloist x2
The White Ribbon
This Is It
Ticking Clock
Truman Show
Twilight Saga: Eclipse x2
Twilight Saga: New Moon (Disc 1) x2
Unthinkable
Vampire’s Assistant
Vantage Point
Vicky Christina Barcelona
Volver
What Just Happened
Where the Wild Things Are (Rental)
Whiteout
XXX
Youth in Revolt x2
Old 05-31-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The guy at one of the BB close to me knew about the 99 cent blu-ray sale but he said it was not at this store. They did have 99 cent dvds. Great luck to those that have it.

I thought about getting some more 5 for $20 blu's but I will hold out to see if anything new comes in before sale ends on 6/6.

also Salt had a price of $12.99 so its not part of the sale at this store.
Old 06-01-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdude
The guy at one of the BB close to me knew about the 99 cent blu-ray sale but he said it was not at this store. They did have 99 cent dvds. Great luck to those that have it.

I thought about getting some more 5 for $20 blu's but I will hold out to see if anything new comes in before sale ends on 6/6.

also Salt had a price of $12.99 so its not part of the sale at this store.
Salt is $12.99 at every store, not just your store. The only way people were able to get it cheap was if they found it as part of the clearance stock.
Old 06-01-11, 12:35 AM

Pulled in 19 more titles tonight at the Sandusky Ohio store. Mostly one time views and then trade-in at the store I work at, but hopefully I'll be surprised by a few.

An Education
Band Of Brothers Disc 1
Band Of Brothers Disc 2
Band Of Brothers Disc 3
Band Of Brothers Disc 5
Band Of Brothers Disc 6
Be Kind Rewind
Brother's Bloom
Crazies
Kids Are Alright
Kite Runner
Leaves of Grass
National Treasure
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Piranha
Sunshine Cleaning
Youth in Revolt

And I also snagged TimeCrimes on DVD. Checking in with one more store after work tomorrow in hopes of Band of Brothers Disc 4!
Old 06-01-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
It's posts like this that make me wonder why you care. I don't defend Mananza on everything he does, but there is no indication that he was belligerent or demanding. Maybe he was, I don't know. But if all he did was ask and the manager conceded -- why not take him up on the offer. It is frustrating the amount of money we spend on this hobby to see that waiting just a day would have saved another 67%. It's just a good thing for Mananza's sake that you weren't the manager
Because the rest of us have to read the constant complaining.

For Manzana to say he has no trouble with any other store is flat out ridiculous. He has been on here inumerable times complaining about low stock at Target, Walmart's refusal to take or refund coupons, etc. I got about 30 blurays in the days before for 3.99 that I could have gotten for 99 cents yesterday. I am happy to have gotten them that cheap!!!

Dude, at some point you gotta think if you've got a problem with everybody, everybody else may not have the problem......
Old 06-01-11, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Thanks, That'sAllFolks, for being consistently understanding. I think what surprised me was John Galt's reaction. It's what I'd expect if I posted my usual rant/complaints like I do about BB, but in this case I didn't rant or complain or say anything negative that I know of. I guess it was like a reflex reaction for John... Manzana posted something... it must be a complaint so post a followup criticism. I dubbed those people the Manzana Attackers Club, even though there's no official club. I know I bring some of it on myself, but not all of it.

Yeah, I can understand the tongue in cheek sometimes, but other times it's not clear. I try to get the best deals I can, and I often ask things other people wouldn't think of asking. On Sunday I asked the manager if he'd hold discs for me until Tuesday (when he said they'd be 99 cents) and he said no. Another manager did that for someone else here, but nobody attacked him for asking the manager. I don't feel wrong for asking the manager that, and when he said no I said something like "bummer. oh well". I didn't become the angry devil customer that some people imagine I am.

If I get turned down at any store, I don't yell or cause a scene but usually say something as I walk out like "no wonder I don't shop here very often". I've heard other customers leave other stores saying a lot worse and using profanity which I don't. Had the Blockbuster manager said no about the price adjustment, I probably would've said "I'm very disappointed. I guess I'll have to be more careful in the future buying stuff at Blockbuster since all sales are final and you never know what better sale is right around the corner". If I were in a real foul mood I might say "I can see why you guys went bankrupt" or "I don't understand how you stay in business". Fortunately he was very nice and there were no problems. So in this particular case John Galt is wrong about other stuff happening I didn't mention. I spent a while talking with the manager about movies we liked while I was inspecting the discs. If he was so annoyed by me, he probably wouldn't have done that.

I admit (for John Galt and the others) that I do complain too much and it's sort of a hobby to chime in to some (but not all) BB threads, just as I think some people have a hobby about attacking me because of my negativity. What I see about myself is this: I'm a complainer and when I don't get a deal, I tend to whine a bit about it. I don't see myself as a troublemaker at retail stores that other people think I am... very few people know me at any stores. I have gotten peeved at the one and only nasty Target employee and been on the verge of telling her "I've done pricematches and used coupons at all of the other stores without any problems, so you're just making up your own policy and being nasty which forces me to drive to a further away store where I'll get the same deal you won't give me here", but I keep my mouth shut because I can tell she's the kind of person who'd make it her life's mission to call every store and make sure none of them ever do a pricematch combined with a coupon again just to spite me. So in the end I don't even dare say "I guess I'm off to another store to get the deal YOU won't give me". I just leave the store empty-handed and maybe say "thanks for nothing", but most of the time if I see her I wait for someone else to come or don't even try. If saying these little remarks makes me a bad customer, then OK I'll agree. I feel like I restrain myself pretty well.

For dino88, I don't consider going to BB once every month or two very often, so how's my avoiding BB working out... the answer is pretty well. I never said I never go in there... merely that they are my last choice to buy anything and I never make special trips there. I often find myself stuck at the mall having to kill time and for someone who likes electronics it makes sense to kill time at BB given that most malls have no other electronics stores worth mentioning. Every once in a while I find a clearance item or something on sale that nobody else has and I buy it at BB, but it's once in a blue moon, and I know not to try to use coupons there. So it works out just fine. I visit very rarely and I buy stuff equally rarely.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but I guess that's no surprise to most people. I wouldn't have said anything if John hadn't gotten on my case.

Last edited by Manzana; 06-01-11 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
Because the rest of us have to read the constant complaining.

For Manzana to say he has no trouble with any other store is flat out ridiculous. He has been on here inumerable times complaining about low stock at Target, Walmart's refusal to take or refund coupons, etc. I got about 30 blurays in the days before for 3.99 that I could have gotten for 99 cents yesterday. I am happy to have gotten them that cheap!!!

Dude, at some point you gotta think if you've got a problem with everybody, everybody else may not have the problem......
Too bad there is no ignore function. Those of you who find me annoying should just skip over my messages. It's pretty simple... if it's more than a paragraph long it's either complaining or me responding to a complaint to my complaining. :-)

SoonerDoc does have 1 thing right... I have complained numerous times about low stock at Target, Walmart's refusal to refund a manufacturer's coupon (worse yet... they wouldn't even give me back what I paid), and my BB stores pretty much not taking any coupons. Yes, I'm guilty of complaining, but the stores are guilty of having low stock or trying not to give me a refund of what I paid or not taking coupons at my stores when other stores across the country do. I guess when someone posts that their Walmart store has some $6 BDs that I want and I say "as usual, my Walmart store doesn't have any and nobody there knows anything about it", I should keep quiet. But then if I didn't complain, I'd hardly ever post... :-)

Last edited by Manzana; 06-01-11 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definitely guilty of sidetracking threads. :-( I'll stop now. I wouldn't have said anything if John hadn't gotten on my case.
That people had to slog through six loooooong paragraphs of justifications to get to the punchline is so ironic that it will rust if it gets too humid.
Old 06-01-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I can understand the tongue in cheek sometimes, but other times it's not clear. I try to get the best deals I can, and I often ask things other people wouldn't think of asking. On Sunday I asked the manager if he'd hold discs for me until Tuesday (when he said they'd be 99 cents) and he said no. Another manager did that for someone else here, but nobody attacked him for asking the manager. I don't feel wrong for asking the manager that, and when he said no I said something like "bummer. oh well". I didn't become the angry devil customer that some people imagine I am.

If I get turned down at any store, I don't yell or cause a scene but usually say something as I walk out like "no wonder I don't shop here very often". I've heard other customers leave other stores saying a lot worse and using profanity which I don't. Had the Blockbuster manager said no about the price adjustment, I probably would've said "I'm very disappointed. I guess I'll have to be more careful in the future buying stuff at Blockbuster since all sales are final and you never know what better sale is right around the corner". If I were in a real foul mood I might say "I can see why you guys went bankrupt" or "I don't understand how you stay in business". Fortunately he was very nice and there were no problems. So in this particular case John Galt is wrong about other stuff happening I didn't mention. I spent a while talking with the manager about movies we liked while I was inspecting the discs. If he was so annoyed by me, he probably wouldn't have done that.

I admit (for John Galt and the others) that I do complain too much and it's sort of a hobby to chime in to some (but not all) BB threads, just as I think some people have a hobby about attacking me because of my negativity. What I see about myself is this: I'm a complainer and when I don't get a deal, I tend to whine a bit about it. I don't see myself as a troublemaker at retail stores that other people think I am... very few people know me at any stores. I have gotten peeved at the one and only nasty Target employee and been on the verge of telling her "I've done pricematches and used coupons at all of the other stores without any problems, so you're just making up your own policy and being nasty which forces me to drive to a further away store where I'll get the same deal you won't give me here", but I keep my mouth shut because I can tell she's the kind of person who'd make it her life's mission to call every store and make sure none of them ever do a pricematch combined with a coupon again just to spite me. So in the end I don't even dare say "I guess I'm off to another store to get the deal YOU won't give me". I just leave the store empty-handed and maybe say "thanks for nothing", but most of the time if I see her I wait for someone else to come or don't even try. If saying these little remarks makes me a bad customer, then OK I'll agree. I feel like I restrain myself pretty well.
I am sure much of the issues you have is that many managers are given some ability to make exceptions when they decide it is in the companies interest to do so.

So a manager could decide to hold items in his office for a long time customer even if normally they would not do that in general.

Your little snide comments on leaving would put you in my never do anything I did not have to do for him category.

I always loved to see that guy who stormed out a few months earlier making a comment like you mentioned come in and ask for an exception to a policy or a favor.

I would savor every moment of my no as I watched him yet again get upset at me.

I have even seen people who have done things like that asking other managers for exceptions and made sure to come over and stop it from happening.

It was always nice helping our good customers. I could care less about helping the ones who did nothing but complain and demand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.