Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Bluray deals at Blockbuster

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bluray deals at Blockbuster

If anyone lives in the Muskegon, MI area, the Blockbuster in Muskegon doesn't have Zodiac or Hot Rod. However, the Blockbuster in Grand Haven is closing on Friday and they have one copy of Zodiac left.
Old 02-25-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Is there any way to find out which stores in your area are closing without calling or driving to each one of them?
I take no replies to mean the answer is no, so calling each store is the only way to find out.
Old 02-25-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manzana
I take no replies to mean the answer is no, so calling each store is the only way to find out.
Perhaps you could call one store and ask them if they know of any stores in the area are closing? Genius idea.

I went to one store last week and picked up some blu-rays on the 2 for $15 deal, and they had a sign on the door that said "We're not closing" or something to that effect. I politely asked what stores in the area were getting shut down, and she let me know of the only one (which was too far away to make it worth an effort).

Some basic social skills can go a long way in getting things done.
Old 02-25-11, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Perhaps you could call one store and ask them if they know of any stores in the area are closing? Genius idea.
BRILLIANT! I would've never thought of that. Actually, I did that after having to wait on hold a couple times, and the couple employees I asked said they didn't know which stores were closing and they were too busy to find out at the moment. I'm sure if I called at the right time (which I rarely do) or I found the right employee they could give me a list, but I'm not sure if most of them know (or care) about other stores in their area.
Old 02-25-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
If anyone lives in the Muskegon, MI area, the Blockbuster in Muskegon doesn't have Zodiac or Hot Rod. However, the Blockbuster in Grand Haven is closing on Friday and they have one copy of Zodiac left.
Thanks for the heads up, I stopped by and snagged it. They're not closing until April 10th though, according to what they said today.
Old 02-25-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want Zodiac but can't find it at BBV or don't want to drive all over town looking for it and have a Columbia House membership, you can buy it there for 12.56 plus shipping. When you consider CH doesn't charge tax to many locations and the time saved not searching BBV, it's as good of a deal... Not to mention it's new as opposed to a PV.

Last edited by jwstl; 02-25-11 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-25-11, 07:10 PM

I went up to the Blockbuster near me (Rochester Hills). The store is liquidating, but the blu-ray selection is miserable. I find it hard to understand why there aren't any used copies of Star Trek or How to Train your Dragon, etc. for sale and yet they have a sh!tload of 2012 and Paranormal... Anyway, the used blu-rays are 15% off the listed price, but as most of the movies are $12.99, so the deal isn't all that spectacular of a deal.
Old 02-25-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by mick0016
I went up to the Blockbuster near me (Rochester Hills). The store is liquidating, but the blu-ray selection is miserable. I find it hard to understand why there aren't any used copies of Star Trek or How to Train your Dragon, etc. for sale and yet they have a sh!tload of 2012 and Paranormal... Anyway, the used blu-rays are 15% off the listed price, but as most of the movies are $12.99, so the deal isn't all that spectacular of a deal.
You're surprised by this.

My store is on clearance and all that stuff went the first few days.
This is normal for any clearance sale. Everything good goes
in the first week because people think they're getting a huge bargain at a clearance sale.

We had people spending hundreds of dollars the first day of the sale
when everything was only 10% off.
Old 02-26-11, 08:21 AM

Wow, that's crazy. People are such sheep.

I guess I was surprised as the other Blockbuster right next to my house, which isn't closing, has a ton of good blu-rays for the pre-sale prices, which at $12.99, the 15% off only amounts to a "savings" of under $2. Plus a lot of these blu-rays can be found new (with a blu-ray case, bonus disc and digital copy) for under $15 when on sale. I guess I shouldn't underestimate the effect of the words "clearance sale" to the general consumer.
Old 02-26-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When Circuit City was liquidating, I saw plenty of reports of stores being packed with people paying MORE for stuff than they would've if they'd come in two weeks earlier for the weekly sales before the going-out-of-business "sales" started. (e.g. People would rush in to get 10% off a $2000 HDTV that had been $1600 the week before and ignored.)
Old 02-26-11, 01:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mick0016
Newish releases were sent to other stores.
15% off the urrent price is crap considering it was 2 for $15 just days before.

Grabbed another Hot Rod. For $4, it'll make me an easy $20.
Old 02-26-11, 07:04 PM

went to another blockbuster and they had the 2 for 15 signs still up so i got mean girls and raging bull
Old 02-27-11, 05:15 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Just went by my BBV that was closing. They were offering a promo where if you signed up for a free 1 month trial of BBV online, you got 2 9.99 titles for free and $5 off your entire purchase. Picked up Hot Rod, Zodiac, Jay and Silent Bob, Finding Neverland, The Secret in their Eyes, and The Truman Show for $38 even.
Old 02-28-11, 11:16 AM

Local store is closing here so I went and picked up a few blu's that were cheap enough and only had one or two left (so I had to jump on them). The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Criterion), Moon and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. $30 with tax is not bad. Just need to buy nice replacement cases and everything will be good. I think I made some solid choices, seem to be universally liked.
Old 02-28-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
Just went by my BBV that was closing. They were offering a promo where if you signed up for a free 1 month trial of BBV online, you got 2 9.99 titles for free and $5 off your entire purchase. Picked up Hot Rod, Zodiac, Jay and Silent Bob, Finding Neverland, The Secret in their Eyes, and The Truman Show for $38 even.
Nice haul. My local store only had one $9.99 title for free, and no amount off the purchase. I feel robbed now. lol.
Old 02-28-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts

That extra $5 off is for people that give their email address and the 2 free PVD is supposed to be one. Some stores may be changing the promo on their own to get people to sign up.

Also the free pvd barcode works on any movie including blu ray
Old 03-01-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 416 Likes on 361 Posts

Got Eagle Eye for $6.99...not great, but not bad I guess.
Old 03-01-11, 11:03 PM
Cool New Member

Closing 2 stores in Toledo........went and picked up Curious Case,Goodfellas,Shawshank, and Ponyo all on blu-ray for $6.99 each...........minus 15%. $23.70 out the door.............I was happy. What is this about $5 off though? I did NOT receive $5 off my order when I signed up.

And the 2 free $9.99 or less when signing up............I'm curious. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-05-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw a copy of Hot Rod at the Hazel Park store (9 Mile & I-75), but it was $12.99 and I'm not spending that much to *possibly* double my money. If anyone wants it, it's on the far side of the BD stand, top row, 4th from the right, in the back of the stack. You're welcome.
Old 03-05-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Grabbed another Hot Rod. For $4, it'll make me an easy $20.
I thought so too when I picked up an extra copy to sell and pay for what I bought at BBV, but with the $5 fees, we'd be lucky to pull out $12 profit. I might gift it.
Old 03-05-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Saw a copy of Hot Rod at the Hazel Park store (9 Mile & I-75), but it was $12.99 and I'm not spending that much to *possibly* double my money. If anyone wants it, it's on the far side of the BD stand, top row, 4th from the right, in the back of the stack. You're welcome.
It's actually $9.99. A lot of prices labeled on used BDs at Blockbuster are wrong/outdated. I took a copy of Hot Rod clearly marked $12.99 to the register and it came out as $9.99.
Old 03-06-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still, I've been burned too many times in the "hot rare DVD" speculation market to want to bother with it. If it was $4, I would've taken a shot, but at a $10 buy-in for a movie I've already got on DVD that wasn't that great (it has it's moments, but overall the Lonely Island is best in 2-1/2 minute bites) is too much for me.
Old 03-06-11, 02:43 PM

found a blockbuster that was closing and snagged hot rod for 9
Old 03-06-11, 03:14 PM

Snagged Burn After Reading for $7.

Getting sick of digging through the "Dolan's Cadillac"s and "Give 'Em Hell, Malone"s, though.
Old 03-07-11, 09:24 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Is anyone going by their BBV today? They are supposed to be raising the clearance percentage and I'm wondering how much BDs will be now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.