Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 3 for $20

Old 01-09-11, 04:30 PM

Blockbuster 3 for $20

Not sure if this is common knowledge or if it is a national promotion, but Blockuster is having a 3 for $20 used blu-ray sale at some locations.

Obviously selection will vary, but some good titles I saw: a couple of Criterion titles (Gomorrah, Benjamin Button), Zodiac DC, Counterfeiters, Black Dynamite, Observe and Report, Funny People, etc.

Last edited by vasb; 01-09-11 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Blockbuster 3 for $20

Oh, on Blu-rays! Is it $14.99 and under, like their recurring DVD promo?
Old 01-09-11, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Oh, on Blu-rays! Is it $14.99 and under, like their recurring DVD promo?
At the stores I went to (Kapaa and Lihue on Kauai) they were for any used titles - no price limitations.

They come in the standard DVD size cases, but the stores will give you blu-ray size cases if you ask and you can search their stock for the 2 hub cases for the 2 disc sets. The only problem is for titles like Gomorrah as the sleeves are bigger than the blu-ray cases.

*edited the first post to specify the sale is for used titles
Old 01-09-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was in a Metro Detroit Blockbuster tonight and there was no sale. They stopped doing two for $25 quite a while ago in favor of prices running from $6.99 and up.
Old 01-10-11, 02:32 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Interesting. I'll stop in at mine and check. if so there's a few I'd definitely snap up.
Old 01-10-11, 01:37 PM

no dice in VT - did see a bunch of good stuff for $6.99 though.
Old 01-10-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My two local Blockbuster's are doing going out of business sales. No good deals on Blu-ray's yet though.

However, I may have to check back later for some discount Blu's if they have any left. I did snag some empty DVD cases for when the DVD blowout begins and I got some free movie posters (Brothers Bloom, Lovely Bones, The Ghost Writer).
Old 01-10-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there signage around the store or do I have to actually ask the cashier to ring them out to see what may-or-may not occur?
Old 01-10-11, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Is there signage around the store or do I have to actually ask the cashier to ring them out to see what may-or-may not occur?
There were signs.
Old 01-10-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When i went into the Aiea store for an in-store trade, there was a small rack with a sign at the top stating that it was a "Manager's Special." i was in a rush, so i didn't have time to see what BDs were on it. i'll probably check out the Waipio store later in the week.
Old 01-10-11, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
I was in a Metro Detroit Blockbuster tonight and there was no sale. They stopped doing two for $25 quite a while ago in favor of prices running from $6.99 and up.
same here ,nothing in the Novi area
Old 01-11-11, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No 3 for 20 at the Culver City Blockbuster on Venice in LA... but they do have a large table of used discs marked down to $6.99 - $9.99 though. Over a hundred titles, some pretty good ones too. I picked up Moon and Surrogates.

As anyone who buys used at BB knows they put the Blu artwork in DVD sleeves. However, I've noticed recently that instead of just having it loose the way it's always been, some of the artwork is actually glued to the DVD case under the clear plastic. Not sure if they do this everywhere but it's something to look out for, since the glue stains the artwork and pretty much ruins it with big greasy spots. There were several other titles I would have bought if not for the glue stains.
Old 01-11-11, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
As anyone who buys used at BB knows they put the Blu artwork in DVD sleeves. However, I've noticed recently that instead of just having it loose the way it's always been, some of the artwork is actually glued to the DVD case under the clear plastic. Not sure if they do this everywhere but it's something to look out for, since the glue stains the artwork and pretty much ruins it with big greasy spots.
I bought Crank 2 and The Spirit early last year at BB. Both were glued to the casing, but luckily it was easy to get off.
Old 01-12-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing like this sale at my local store. But MAN they need to do something! They almost have more PV'd DVDs than they do new stuff to rent. Man! Crazy!