Theatrical Trailers & TV Spots

The Two Towers

Disc 1: Blu-ray
Theatrical Trailers
The Lord Of The Rings: Aragon's Quest Game Trailer
Disc 2: DVD
2 Absorbing Documentaries
Sean Astin Directs The Behind The Scenes Piece The Long And Short Of It
Featurette Gallery Spotlighting The Technical Wizardry Behind This Middle Chapter Of The Saga
Emiliana Torrini Gollum's Song Music Video
Preview Of The Return Of The King Movie

The Return Of The King

Disc 1: Blu-ray
Theatrical Trailers
Special Extended DVD Edition Preview
The Lord Of The Rings: Aragon's Quest Game Trailer
Disc 2: DVD
3 Remarkable Documentaries
Featurette Gallery Spotlighting The Breakthrough Effects Work And Character Detail

Includes Digital Copy Of The Fellowship Of The Ring For Portable Media Players

Includes Digital Copy Of The Two Towers For Portable Media Players

Includes Digital Copy Of The Return Of The King For Portable Media Players
TLK

Last edited by The Lizard King; 12-27-10 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-26-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (9-Disc Set) $39 at DVDEmpire

Nice deal! Now I have to contemplate whether to get this or pickup something else I was eyeballing. Thanks OP!
Old 12-26-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (9-Disc Set) $39 at DVDEmpire

Originally Posted by The Lizard King
Great price, I would definately go for that price, if I hadnt lucked out with in store with the Target 7.99 price.
Very cool though that for this sale you guys are getting the 9 disc set with the digital copies.
Old 12-26-10, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Great price, I would definately go for that price, if I hadnt lucked out with in store with the Target 7.99 price.
Very cool though that for this sale you guys are getting the 9 disc set with the digital copies.
I would GLADLY omit the DCs from this set if I could get it for $30 cheaper (and I like/use DCs!). You got a GREAT deal at Target on Black Friday. My mistake was not HIDING a copy of that 6-disc set somewhere in the store and then leisurely going to where I hid it on BF when I finally got inside. Oh, well. Live and learn.

TLK
Old 12-26-10, 04:33 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Think Amazon would PM this?

I doubt it. Looks like a MSRP misprice.
Old 12-26-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Never hurts to give it a try, just notify them on the item page and perhaps they will match it if enough people notify them of it. Then again they might not. but again it doesnt hurt you to give it a try.
Old 12-26-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Don't buy it--it was $7.99 at Target on Black Friday!

Kidding
Old 12-26-10, 08:43 PM

Extra 10% off with code 1558173 (good until 1/1)
Old 12-26-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Why don't you just buy it from DVD Empire? They are a pretty good company (though with few deals)
Old 12-26-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Why don't you just buy it from DVD Empire? They are a pretty good company (though with few deals)
Sorry, I just have to because of the two threads going on in the store forum. I've never ordered from them so I have no opinion myself.
Old 12-26-10, 11:22 PM

Thanks!
Old 12-27-10, 09:16 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Are these (or even the whole $7.99 Target debacle) featuring the Extended Editions? If not, sorry, but what's the point?
Old 12-27-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Are these (or even the whole $7.99 Target debacle) featuring the Extended Editions? If not, sorry, but what's the point?
Some may actually just want the theatrical versions. And others may just want to see the movies on Blu now since there is no telling when the extended versions will show up.
Old 12-27-10, 10:07 AM

I prefer the theatrical versions. I can get through the whole movie in an evening with these versions. With the extended versions, I usually have to break up the film for two different nights.

TLK
Old 12-27-10, 11:04 AM

Just got a shipping notice.

I prefer the EE of the first film. And then the EE and theatrical of the second two are toss-ups (wish I could pick and choose). But I'm pretty confident when the super duper deluxe edition comes out that I can recoup the $35 I spent on this easily. Until then, this will carry me over.
Old 12-28-10, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its funny, these movies people go on and on about not getting the extended cuts, where as the star wars trilogy they get upset that the theatcial cuts are not included.

Iam sure much like people prefer seeing the original theatrical cuts of star wars, there are people who also prefer the original theatrical cuts of lord of the rings
Old 12-28-10, 08:24 AM

Sweet! $35? In! Since I live in VT and there are no Targets, this is the best I could hope for, until the extendeds are released. I bet they do it like last time and this is the only way to get the theatricals, which is fine with me.
Old 12-28-10, 09:02 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

That's an interesting contrast, AmityBoatTours, that I hadn't considered.

I'll wait for the extended editions. Being new to blu-ray and not knowing the full capacity of the technology, I wonder if the whole movie will fit on one disc, so no intermission exchange like with the current DVDs.
Old 12-28-10, 12:08 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Its funny, these movies people go on and on about not getting the extended cuts, where as the star wars trilogy they get upset that the theatcial cuts are not included.

Iam sure much like people prefer seeing the original theatrical cuts of star wars, there are people who also prefer the original theatrical cuts of lord of the rings
I also find this an interesting analogy that I hadn't thought of before, however my problem is this: Lucas never gives his fans the OPTION of seeing the original theatrical editions. And his "enhanced" editions aren't really extended, per se (like the Lord of the Rings, which adds massive meaningful footage). Lucas feels this need to constantly tinker and modify something that fans are already used to...I find it incredibly jarring to watch the latest versions of Episodes IV-VI.

When the extended editions of Lord of the Rings come out on bu-ray, I bet it will have seamless branching, giving fans the option to watch the theatrical or extended versions. I don't anticipate Lucas EVER doing this...the last time the original theatrical versions of the Star Wars trilogy came out on DVD, they were crappy Laserdisc non-anamorphic transfers. I interpret this as nothing but contempt for Star Wars fans, on Lucas' part.

Chris
Old 12-29-10, 01:32 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

It's up to $54.99 now.