Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

These prices are great, but I am really upset with Amazon's price guarantee policy. I purchases several of these movies for Christmas gifts (The Other GUys, A-Team, Expendables.) Now they are all cheaper. Amazon will not credit me the difference. Any other retailer would honor their own price change. I love Amazon, and I have spent a ton their the past two months, but this policy is crazy. I am about to give up on them when it comes to purchasing movies.
Old 12-24-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by aa-dvd
These prices are great, but I am really upset with Amazon's price guarantee policy. I purchases several of these movies for Christmas gifts (The Other GUys, A-Team, Expendables.) Now they are all cheaper. Amazon will not credit me the difference. Any other retailer would honor their own price change. I love Amazon, and I have spent a ton their the past two months, but this policy is crazy. I am about to give up on them when it comes to purchasing movies.
They do a lot of the time, but prices go down. You can't expect to have a company do it EVERY time, none of them do it every time unless it's in a certain window and either way, they don't have to do it at all. But if you want to stop shopping at amazon because some prices changed then by all means give up the place with arguably the best CS in the entire industry. Will allow me to get in on better deals since they won't sell out as quick :P
Old 12-24-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon used to have a 30-day low price guarantee. When they had this policy, I purchased nearly every movie from them because it was such an amazingly good thing. They ended this policy sometime ago, and my purchasing dropped from everything to small percentage.

Now I purchase titles when they hit very specific lows that based on years of bargain hunting I know are truly a deal (generally $8-10). That way I know I will not regret the price I paid for the movie.
Old 12-24-10, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
They do a lot of the time, but prices go down. You can't expect to have a company do it EVERY time, none of them do it every time unless it's in a certain window and either way, they don't have to do it at all. But if you want to stop shopping at amazon because some prices changed then by all means give up the place with arguably the best CS in the entire industry. Will allow me to get in on better deals since they won't sell out as quick :P
I understand that prices are going to drop. However, after a day or two they should adjust the price. If they got rid of their 30 policy, change it to 7. I actually disagree. Any store willl price match, every time. Best Buy has a 45 day policy, Target has a 14 day policy. I guess I wll just take my purchases elsewhere or learn to be more patient.
Old 12-24-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand that prices are going to drop. However, after a day or two they should adjust the price. If they got rid of their 30 policy, change it to 7. I actually disagree. Any store willl price match, every time. Best Buy has a 45 day policy, Target has a 14 day policy. I guess I wll just take my purchases elsewhere or learn to be more patient.
I understand how that feels and I sympathize. But Amazon also does a lot more price matching (or price-beating) then they did when they had the price guarantee in place. So, it's a bit of taking the good with the bad.
Old 12-24-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Is the price difference enough that it would be worth it for you to re-order them and eat the return shipping cost on your original order (even if you're actually returning the new order with the original reciept, as I understand they're gifts). If so, call amazon and tell them exactly that, and that you're willing to do it, but they could save everyone the hassle if they just credit you the difference. I would bet that either they would credit you the difference, or offer you a promo credit for your next order.

And if they still don't budge, then go ahead and return/rebuy.
Old 12-24-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Do those stores (or their online sites) give you credit automatically when their prices drop? Or do you have to go in and request it? If the latter, it could be a matter of scope-refunding those who make the effort rather than everyone.

I'm not trying to challenge you--I really don't know since I don't do a lot of matching, though if I were a heavier buyer I might.

When I pre-ordered Toy Story 3 from Amazon, I got an automatic adjustment the day after street. It could be a nightmare if they were automatically crediting everyone who purchased anything in the last 30 or 7 days, not just financially but systemswise etc. And I'm sure the accountants would love not knowing how much they were making since at any time they could be crediting back the last 30 days of purchases.

As others have said, you can buy wherever you want--it's a great country.
Old 12-24-10, 05:59 PM

I email Amazon, and they said I could return and reorder. What a waste for me and them. Also, I did point out the cost difference. Other stores will not automatically do it, but they would if I brought in my purchase history and brought it to their attention. That is what I did to Amazon. I have gotten so many great deals, I am over it. Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
Old 12-24-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Really glad they PMed all of these great deals. I picked up The Other Guys, The Expendables, A-Team, Chuck season 3, & Castle season 2
Old 12-24-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well the one thing I know next year is that unless it is the "Deal of the year" I won't be buying any blu rays until Christmas.
Old 12-24-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Well the one thing I know next year is that unless it is the "Deal of the year" I won't be buying any blu rays until Christmas.
No kidding, from August to November I got 4 blu-rays. From the end of November to now I"ve bought no less than 30 lol
Old 12-24-10, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about comfort level of price for me. It sucks when they lower the price so soon, but that's the gamble you take when buying. The price will always drop eventually.
Old 12-24-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Moopher
It's all about comfort level of price for me. It sucks when they lower the price so soon, but that's the gamble you take when buying. The price will always drop eventually.
Exactly, it's like the stock market. The idea is to buy when you think it won't go lower at all or not for a long time. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.
Old 12-24-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I email Amazon, and they said I could return and reorder. What a waste for me and them. Also, I did point out the cost difference. Other stores will not automatically do it, but they would if I brought in my purchase history and brought it to their attention. That is what I did to Amazon. I have gotten so many great deals, I am over it. Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
Call them during the day time and talk to someone from America. You will probably get a different answer.
Old 12-24-10, 09:14 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People often take advantage of Amazon's good nature..... this string of posts is evidence.

That being said... ordered the Other Guys - will probably order a lot more stuff come Monday.
Old 12-24-10, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
A-Team and The Expendables were going to be rentals for me, but I might bite at that price. It doesn't help that I'm really getting into the Digital Copies, which I figure won't be around for future sales.

This year more than any other has emphasized the danger of pre-ordering. I don't ever remember this many severe price drops a week or two after street. I guess it's the physical-media industry clawing to hold onto its space.
Expendables is worth a blind buy IMO, but as much as I wanted to love A-team, I am glad I rented it first. I can't see myself watching it again. Now if they had The Town for 12.99, I would be all over that in a heartbeat. I rented that last week, and actually want to watch it again already.
Old 12-25-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by indianajmb
Expendables is worth a blind buy IMO
It's not. It was a disappointment for me and I liked The A-Team, so it's not that I'm adverse to big stoopid action flicks. It has some nice blow-up moments, but overall it was a letdown. YMMV.
Old 12-25-10, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bse
People often take advantage of Amazon's good nature..... this string of posts is evidence.
No kidding. I'm a very frugal person, but never thought to email Amazon over a couple of bucks or return items I wanted. I guess I always wait for a good price drop before even spending in the first place.
Old 12-25-10, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
I wouldn't worry about it. Amazon is matching next week's Target price for The A-Team—and several other titles at that price—and is undercutting next week's Best Buy price for The Sorcerer's Apprentice. While one never knows for sure with Amazon, it is likely that the prices will remain at those levels all next week.
And these two were not picked up on my amazon wishlist so off to finish the job on those two.

May add Salt and Easy A to the order as well.

Thank you amazon.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-25-10 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-25-10, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
It's not. It was a disappointment for me
I disagree, I thought it was really good & I'd recommend it as a blind buy to anyone who enjoys action flicks.
Old 12-25-10, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These prices are great, but I am really upset with Amazon's price guarantee policy.
I love Amazon but how I order with them changed dramatically when they not only stopped there 30 day price guarantee but started to drop DVD/Blu-ray prices a day or two after release. It really was a big screw you moment for those that gave them endless pre-order business. I think it was the Star Trek movie collection on Blu-ray that I first got stung. I'll still pre-order but it's rare and it's only if the price is pretty good, such as the upcoming Bambi. As for buying titles for Christmas that have dropped, that's just the way it is. You need the gift by such a date. It's like buying Hallmark ornaments for gifts that will be marked 40-50% off the day after.

I'll grab The A-Team but pass on Expendables. I really, really wanted to like that movie but was surprisingly bored by it. Still cool to see Bruce, Arnold and Sly together in a scene.
Old 12-25-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Torchur317
I disagree, I thought it was really good & I'd recommend it as a blind buy to anyone who enjoys action flicks.
Yep, I liked it too...
Old 12-25-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pizza
I love Amazon but how I order with them changed dramatically when they not only stopped there 30 day price guarantee but started to drop DVD/Blu-ray prices a day or two after release. It really was a big screw you moment for those that gave them endless pre-order business. I think it was the Star Trek movie collection on Blu-ray that I first got stung. I'll still pre-order but it's rare and it's only if the price is pretty good, such as the upcoming Bambi. As for buying titles for Christmas that have dropped, that's just the way it is. You need the gift by such a date. It's like buying Hallmark ornaments for gifts that will be marked 40-50% off the day after.

I'll grab The A-Team but pass on Expendables. I really, really wanted to like that movie but was surprisingly bored by it. Still cool to see Bruce, Arnold and Sly together in a scene.
I just don't ever preorder anymore. Just about any movie I can wait on so there is no reason lately to not wait a few weeks for the price to come way down honestly
Old 12-25-10, 09:20 AM

Exactly, it's like the stock market. The idea is to buy when you think it won't go lower at all or not for a long time. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.
Amazon is like the stock market. You have to get your ticket (order) in and closed ASAP before the price goes up or down.

What piss me off is they tell you they lower the price on you.

Expendables Jet Li; I do not want to talk about it, I'm too depressed. I have to give him credit for this movie. Without counting lines. Most had the same number of them (but the two main starts). I good buy, but then again.
Old 12-25-10, 09:25 AM

I just don't ever preorder anymore. Just about any movie I can wait on so there is no reason lately to not wait a few weeks for the price to come way down honestly
It used to be you had to buy it the week it came out to get it at a good price. This had to do more at the time of DVDs then. How many remember "Reel.com"? now a days your really best to save your money wait till middle Nov and buy them all at once unless its a must need now.

Case; Expendables, House (season6), The Pacific (I was very very so very close to waiting but watched the 1st ep last week). I really wanted to buy them. I waited and got it for way cheaper.

It still bugs me that they tell you they lower the price on you AFTER you paid more for it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.