Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by blokhed
Your doubt is silly in light of the last few years of classic BD releases. Have you seen any of Buster Keaton's films on BD? The General, for instance? Good heavens, that film is 90 years old and it's a huge improvement on BD!
One time I was at Wal-Mart, and I asked a middle-aged woman in the electronics section if they had White Christmas on blu-ray, and she couldn't find it. But then she said, "But, you know, old movies can't look that good on blu-ray anyway." I couldn't help myself, I just blurted out, "I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Especially for a film like White Christmas, filmed in Vistavision, the higher resolution makes the film look better than it ever has before, since Vistavision was larger film stock." She said, "Well, maybe that one, but most old movies don't look any better." I just smiled politely and walked away.
Old 03-25-11, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is why....I hate shopping in store. It better be a good sale to get me in that car for it.
Old 03-25-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
$9.99 now.
Old 03-25-11, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trespoochies
After hearing from those who have the BD, I decided to pass. Here's the review from blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dog-So...y/4011/#Review
having worked w/ 16 mm film here at school...yeah...it ain't exactly pretty most of the time.
Old 03-25-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
Do you realize who you are talking to? Somehow, something will happen and Manzana will get charged and Amazon wont accept a return and then Manzana will vow to never shop at Amazon again......until Lizards post the very next day.

Your doubt is silly in light of the last few years of classic BD releases. Have you seen any of Buster Keaton's films on BD? The General, for instance? Good heavens, that film is 90 years old and it's a huge improvement on BD!

If you're satisfied watching movies on your iPhone, fine, but if you have any kind of a decent display at all you should know better by now.
Originally Posted by jwstl
You can argue that older movies benefit the most from the upgrade to BD.
Originally Posted by FranklinShepard
One time I was at Wal-Mart, and I asked a middle-aged woman in the electronics section if they had White Christmas on blu-ray, and she couldn't find it. But then she said, "But, you know, old movies can't look that good on blu-ray anyway." I couldn't help myself, I just blurted out, "I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Especially for a film like White Christmas, filmed in Vistavision, the higher resolution makes the film look better than it ever has before, since Vistavision was larger film stock." She said, "Well, maybe that one, but most old movies don't look any better." I just smiled politely and walked away.
Clearly there is still a lot of educatin' to do on the BD front
Old 03-25-11, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Why would you put a hold on it? You pre-order it, then Amazon releases the full specs and if you're not happy then you cancel it. You realize Amazon does not charge your card until it ships, right?
It has nothing to do with the specs but getting the best deal, and it APPEARS that will be at Target, but there will be know way to know for sure until the Sunday ads come out (since there are no early ad scans for some reason) and even then I won't really know for sure until Tuesday morning to see if Target actually has them in stock and both coupons are accepted. Amazon usually ships Friday or Monday so it would be too late before I know for sure.

It was safer to cancel it and hope the Target deal pans out as expected (i.e. $24.99 - $2 x 5 coupons).

Originally Posted by John Galt
Do you realize who you are talking to? Somehow, something will happen and Manzana will get charged and Amazon wont accept a return and then Manzana will vow to never shop at Amazon again......until Lizards post the very next day.
Except I already canceled my Amazon order before I got charged or it shipped. Also, Amazon has been pretty good to me so it would take a lot for me to boycott them. It's a lot easier to boycott Costco and BB because they've treated me badly and I can find equivalent or better prices elsewhere, but I would miss Amazon.
Old 03-25-11, 03:49 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I was just pickin' on you.
Old 03-25-11, 04:10 PM
Banned

Never noticed..but your name is John Galt...like that name in that crappy looking adaptation of that Rand book.
Old 03-25-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
having worked w/ 16 mm film here at school...yeah...it ain't exactly pretty most of the time.
Yeah but with HD scans, 16mm is back! I thought both The Wrestler and Black Dynamite looked amazing on Blu-ray...Black Swan probably will too. I'd rather watch a high-def transfer of 16mm film over HD-video any day of the week. You can sink your teeth into that shit!
Old 03-25-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Never noticed..but your name is John Galt...like that name in that crappy looking adaptation of that Rand book.
I always hoped he was actually Jon Galt in disguise...
Old 03-25-11, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

Or like that name in the actual book!

Who is he???
Old 03-25-11, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the cow
or like that name in the actual book!

who is he???
exactly!
Old 03-25-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Gonna get Spider-man trilogy for $30.49
Old 03-25-11, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Gonna get Spider-man trilogy for $30.49
Guess there's no chance of 1 and 2 ever getting features, eh?
Old 03-25-11, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
Yes:
Carlito's Way $9.99
Thanks, Lizard. Usually, I find out about these deals from you, but in this case I posted the Amazon CARLITO'S WAY price earlier in the thread.
Old 03-25-11, 10:50 PM

If you're satisfied watching movies on your iPhone, fine, but if you have any kind of a decent display at all you should know better by now.
I hate to take this thread further off-topic, but maybe it's of general interest.

1. In my opinion, if a good DVD is twice as good as a good VHS or standard TV, then a good BD is 10-20% better than a good DVD.

2. I think we all agree, that If we compare how much detail was captured on film in 1920 vs. in 1960 vs. in 2000, there is a steady improvement, due to better lenses, film formats, film stock, etc. Never even mind color. They can only transfer onto a disk what is on the film, plus digital restoration and enhancements.

Therefore, again in my opinion, of a 1959 B&W film that was already restored and enhanced and beautifully transfered to DVD, there isn't much improvement over the DVD possible when it gets transferred to Blu-ray.
Old 03-25-11, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andras
I hate to take this thread further off-topic, but maybe it's of general interest.

1. In my opinion, if a good DVD is twice as good as a good VHS or standard TV, then a good BD is 10-20% better than a good DVD.

2. I think we all agree, that If we compare how much detail was captured on film in 1920 vs. in 1960 vs. in 2000, there is a steady improvement, due to better lenses, film formats, film stock, etc. Never even mind color. They can only transfer onto a disk what is on the film, plus digital restoration and enhancements.

Therefore, again in my opinion, of a 1959 B&W film that was already restored and enhanced and beautifully transfered to DVD, there isn't much improvement over the DVD possible when it gets transferred to Blu-ray.
Take a look at Yojimbo and Sanjuro on blu. They looked damn fine on dvd, the blu rays are incredible. The movies are 50 years old and look better than more than just a few movies made in the last 10 years on blu.
Old 03-25-11, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Andras

Just depends on who was doing the film....masters of the camera don't get limited by the tech they have...only themselves (for the most part)
Old 03-26-11, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kiss of the Spider Woman (Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] down to $15.99
Old 03-26-11, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The DVD vs. BD argument is fairly simple - the more lines of resolution, the better the picture. End of story.
Old 03-26-11, 08:50 AM
Banned

U2: 360° at the Rose Bowl $9.99 at Amazon

Tenacious D - The Complete Master Works 2 $9.99 at Amazon
Old 03-26-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FranklinShepard
You actually found an employee at Wal Mart who speaks English?
Old 03-26-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Previous lists:
3-25-11, 3-24-11, 3-23-11, 3-22-11, 3-21-11, 3-20-11, 3-18-11, 3-17-11, 3-16-11, 3-15-11, 3-14-11, 3-13-11, 3-12-11, 3-10-11, 3-9-11, 3-8-11, 3-7-11, 3-6-11, 3-4-11, 3-3-11, 3-2-11, 3-1-11, 2-28-11, 2-27-11, 2-26-11, 2-25-11,
[Prices may have changed since titles were posted. Or not.]

Here are today's New Lows and some Old Lows:

He Was a Quiet Man $8.49
Merlin and the Book of Beasts $8.49

Cuba: The Accidental Eden $13.99
The Secret of NIMH (Pre-order) $13.99
Teen Wolf (Pre-order) $13.99

Kiss of the Spider Woman (Collector's Edition) $15.99

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (Pre-order) $16.99

Inferno (Pre-order) $19.99

The Tempest (Pre-order) $25.99
Old 03-26-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by naitram
Yeah but with HD scans, 16mm is back! I thought both The Wrestler and Black Dynamite looked amazing on Blu-ray...Black Swan probably will too. I'd rather watch a high-def transfer of 16mm film over HD-video any day of the week. You can sink your teeth into that shit!
Yes. Another example: Pride and Prejudice (1995) was shot on 16 mm film and the BD looks pretty good. It is the best improvement over the DVD I've seen, although that was because the BD was mastered from original film elements and the DVD releases were made from later prints and had washed-out color. There is an extra explaining how the BD master was made and showing the difference. It is remarkable.

When speaking of HD we often think of resolution but forget that BD has improved colorspace and DVDs tend to look pallid by comparison.
Old 03-26-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a price reduction per se, but three sellers on Amazon Marketplace, all with 97% or higher feedback ratings, are now offering the six-disc National Geographic High Definition Collection, containing six National Geographic specials, for $24.XX plus $2.98 shipping.

I believe this was an HD Deal of the Week a few months back for $34.99 from amazon itself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.