Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Old 06-25-11, 10:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

So, I hope this isn't perceived as deal crapping, this is perhaps my favorite bargain thread, but is anyone else completely ambivalent to any deal over $10?

Before I fully embraced hi def, I only bought occasional titles as they went on sale or glitched down to $10 or less. Now it seems like almost every title has hit $10, or is sure to someday soon.
Old 06-25-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
So, I hope this isn't perceived as deal crapping, this is perhaps my favorite bargain thread, but is anyone else completely ambivalent to any deal over $10?

Before I fully embraced hi def, I only bought occasional titles as they went on sale or glitched down to $10 or less. Now it seems like almost every title has hit $10, or is sure to someday soon.
Yeah I know how you feel. Unless I absolutely have to have it or unless its a special run limited edition it better be under $10
Old 06-25-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As you know I am very particular as to the titles I want to add to my collection. In fact some would say overly particular. Oh wait, that someone was you. just bustin on ya. I really don't even consider myself a collector anymore. I love watching movies but my collection is pretty stagnant. I don't get into special packaging nor am I big on extras. I'll watch them once but I make no buying decisions based on the extras.

With so many titles dropping so quickly I really don't see a need to pick up many titles on release week anymore. I don't do any more blind buys. There are the few titles I know I already want to upgrade I'll pick up right away but the vast majority I'm picking up down the road for <$10.

With Blockbuster I get a bunch of movies every month to check out and then if I want to own them I'll wait until a deal or a used copy comes along.

Although I read this thread every day, I think this week was the first time in months, maybe this year, I placed an Amazon order with some birthday money I had received from my parents and in-laws. Several of those titles were based solely on seeing them in this thread.

Between that Amazon order and the recent Blockbuster sale I added about 25 titles to my collection. Which I know for many of you that's an average month.
Old 06-25-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on the title. Catalog stuff I will definitely wait for a drop to $8-$10. For new theatrical releases, I was happy to get True Grit for $14.99, and Harry Potter was a great deal at around the same price. Since the digital copies don't last forever, I'm a little more inclined to get those earlier than later. But the way pricing goes these days, I don't pre-order and instead look for deals in week 2 or so.
Old 06-25-11, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Between that Amazon order and the recent Blockbuster sale I added about 25 titles to my collection. Which I know for many of you that's an average week.
Fixed.
Spoiler:
Just kidding, usually. I think I pretty much average one or close to two titles a day (at about $4 per) over the the lifetime of this hobby.
Old 06-25-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fixed.
Spoiler:
Just kidding, usually. I think I pretty much average one or close to two titles a day (at about $4 per) over the the lifetime of this hobby.
Sadly (for my bank account), I think I'm right there with you.
Old 06-25-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish that were true. While I agree that many titles get under $10 fairly quickly (including some newly released catalog titles) there are a number of titles I track that just never seem to come down in price. For example:

North by Northwest, out for two years with a low price of $18.99

The Sound of Music, out for one year with a low price of $17.49

Casablanca, out for two years with a low price of $13.49

, out for eight months with a low price of $19.99

How to Train Your Dragon, out for eight months with a low price of $12.99 (that's getting close to $10 at least)

Gladiator (remastered), out for one year with a low price of $19.99 (while the first release was available for $10 in two months)

And good luck getting most Disney/Pixar animated titles for under $10, although coupons can sometimes get them close.

I could keep going on, but you get the idea. When I compare those titles to the Back to the Future set for $14.99, it baffles me as to how pricing decisions are made for Blu-ray Discs.

[BTW, a lot of the more expensive titles I list are pre-orders and while the prices aren't bargains (yet) I include them for information purposes.]
Old 06-25-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fixed.
Spoiler:
I keep thinking I'm going to slow down and then comes the Blockbuster 99 cent Blu-ray special, the new shipment at Big Lots, $5 BR's at Best Buy. Need I go on.

I think I avg at least 2-3 titles per day, but my avg is probably less than $2. I buy used at pawnshops, etc and almost never pay more than a buck used. You'd think with my almost 10,000 DVDs that I would run out of things to buy. I do upgrade conditions or editions too and sell off the old copies, so not all of it is absolutely new titles ... but I really believe I would spend a whole lot less money (and have a whole lot less titles) if it weren't for DVD Talk. DVD Talk is a blessing ... and a curse.

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
I wish that were true. While I agree that many titles get under $10 fairly quickly (including some newly released catalog titles) there are a number of titles I track that just never seem to come down in price. For example:

How to Train Your Dragon, out for eight months with a low price of $12.99 (that's getting close to $10 at least)

Gladiator (remastered), out for one year with a low price of $19.99 (while the first release was available for $10 in two months)

And good luck getting most Disney/Pixar animated titles for under $10, although coupons can sometimes get them close.

I could keep going on, but you get the idea. When I compare those titles to the Back to the Future set for $14.99, it baffles me as to how pricing decisions are made for Blu-ray Discs.

[BTW, a lot of the more expensive titles I list are pre-orders and while the prices aren't bargains (yet) I include them for information purposes.]
I think classic movies are less likely to be $10 than newer titles (though Dragon seems to buck the trend). BTTF is a huge surprise and I thought it would be a couple of years at least before we'd see these prices. Casablanca has been spotted at Ross for 9.99 though. Avatar EE has a MSRP of 54.99, so 19.99 is a pretty big dsicount. I got it at BB for 14.99, but I really believe it will be even cheaper.

For the vast majority of titles, $10 is a fully reasonable expectation ... and personally won't even pay that much for most titles.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 06-25-11 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-25-11, 02:41 PM

Bouncing is what Tiggers do best... I mean going off topic is what Manzanas do best. I totally agree. I've seen too many BDs go to $10 or less too quickly for me to buy any BD over $10 unless I *really* want to see it right away, and with my large backlog (made that much worse by my Blockbuster purchases which I haven't even started to go through) there are few movies that I'm that eager for. I sometimes make > $10 exceptions for Disney BDs with the coupons and such because we know how Disney is.

I even find myself hesistant to pull the trigger on a BD > $7. When something drops under $7, then I start to consider it seriously, but if it's just yet- another-DVD-to-BD upgrade I find myself hard pressed to buy it, especially given so many BD upgrades drop the extras from the DVD. The recent Blockbuster specials make me think even harder about it. Should I pay $7 for a new one at Amazon I won't have time to watch for a year or two or hope for another Blockbuster style $1/$4 BD blowout? The majority of the Blockbuster BDs I saw were ones I had gotten from Amazon new for under $10 making what seemed like a good deal back then become another "oops... I should've waited".

That said, I really appreciate Lizard's effort to do this thread, and I still occasionally buy cheap BDs from Amazon that he points out. However, given my large DVD collection and currently limited funds, I pass on virtually everything over $10 and almost everything under $10.
Old 06-25-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had the '33 KING KONG in my cart forever at Amazon and it never seems to go down in price. Like Lizard says, the strategy-or lack of same thereof-is baffling when it comes to Blu pricing, but even applies to SD. For instance, the first two BETTE DAVIS box sets from Warners are hardly ever discounted, even in the midst of massive WB box set sales at Amazon and the WB Shop.
Old 06-25-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
I've had the '33 KING KONG in my cart forever at Amazon and it never seems to go down in price. Like Lizard says, the strategy-or lack of same thereof-is baffling when it comes to Blu pricing, but even applies to SD. For instance, the first two BETTE DAVIS box sets from Warners are hardly ever discounted, even in the midst of massive WB box set sales at Amazon and the WB Shop.
I'm right there with you on King Kong. I'll probably just end up having to ask for it as a Christmas gift
Old 06-25-11, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by lizard View Post

To expand upon what ThatsAllFolk's and Manzana inferred, I think all of those titles you mentioned have been under $10 if your search is expansive, including used options and CH cycling.

There probably isn't a title (single film) that hasn't been under $10 somewhere within 9 months of release.

Patience is a key to this of course. I ignore release dates. A title isn't really out there, until it is under $10. That date is it's real release date.

And specifically on the Disney/Pixar titles, I've picked them all up new at retail for under $10, under zero in several cases. YMMV on coupon use of course.

My words are by no means knocking your thoughts or people paying "full" Amazon price of course. To get everything cheaper than Amazon it takes a lot more effort, perhaps more than it is worth in many cases.
Old 06-26-11, 01:36 AM
Banned

alright..look I know we all want to suck Lizard's dick cuz he's so awesome and shit, cuz he is. But...can we get back to the deals?
Old 06-26-11, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did everyone in here take a bunch of ecstasy?
Old 06-26-11, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
But...can we get back to the deals?
Is your paper route money burning a hole in your pocket?
Old 06-26-11, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
I've had the '33 KING KONG in my cart forever at Amazon and it never seems to go down in price.
Same here (Se7en as well). The only time I find decent deals on digiboks is when theres a BOGO on them =/
Old 06-26-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Previous lists:
6-25-11, 6-24-11, 6-23-11, 6-22-11, 6-21-11, 6-20-11, 6-19-11, 6-18-11, 6-17-11, 6-16-11, 6-15-11, 6-14-11, 6-13-11, 6-12-11, 6-11-11, 6-10-11, 6-9-11, 6-8-11, 6-7-11, 6-6-11, 6-3-11, 6-2-11, 6-1-11, 5-31-11, 5-30-11, 5-29-11, 5-28-11, 5-27-11, 5-26-11, 5-25-11, 5-24-11,
[Prices may have changed since titles were posted. Or not.]

Here are today's New Lows:

[Most of the $9.49 and $12.49 titles seem to be combo re-releases of existing titles that have been as cheap or cheaper in single disc form.]

In Bruges [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49
Dawn of the Dead [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49
Unleashed [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49
Darkman [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49
Uncle Buck [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49
The Last Starfighter [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49
U-571 [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49
Alpha Dog (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) (Pre-order) $9.49
Spy Game [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49
Inside Man [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $9.49

Underdog $10.99

Carlito's Way $11.99

Serenity [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Van Helsing [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Wanted [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Forgetting Sarah Marshall [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Backdraft [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Pride & Prejudice [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
The Jackal [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Apollo 13 [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
State of Play [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Traffic [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Hot Fuzz [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Out of Africa [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Public Enemies [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Mamma Mia! The Movie [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Knocked Up [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
The 40-Year-Old Virgin [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
Smokin' Aces [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49
American Gangster [Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy] (Pre-order) $12.49

Earth From Above: Stunning Water $21.99

Meek's Cutoff (Pre-order) $31.49

As Tears Go By $36.49

The Sound of Music (Limited Edition Collector's Set) [Blu-ray/DVD Combo] (1965) $38.99

Last edited by lizard; 06-26-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-26-11, 12:14 PM

Patience is a key to this of course. I ignore release dates. A title isn't really out there, until it is under $10. That date is it's real release date.
I like your perspective on release dates. :-) While I still take mental note of release dates, I rarely consider buying them under they're under $10, so if I go to a store that sells BD I usually skip looking at the new releases because I know they're too expensive.
And specifically on the Disney/Pixar titles, I've picked them all up new at retail for under $10, under zero in several cases. YMMV on coupon use of course.
Well, for earlier Disney releases with $10 DMR coupons and $19.99 release prices (and sometimes $5 Target coupons or combo discounts), then yes... those titles were easily obtainable under $10 at Target. However, with more recent releases often priced higher than $19.99 and only $5 or $8 DMR coupons, I'd like to know how you got those ones for under $10 (let alone $0).
Old 06-26-11, 02:36 PM

^ Nothing that wasn't talked about in the multiple threads at each release. YMMV on combining pricematching and coupons of course.
Old 06-26-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^ Wow, that's a lot of pre-orders of previously released titles which now include a DVD and digital copy...
Old 06-26-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

gotta move the plastic...
Old 06-27-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Previous lists:
6-26-11, 6-25-11, 6-24-11, 6-23-11, 6-22-11, 6-21-11, 6-20-11, 6-19-11, 6-18-11, 6-17-11, 6-16-11, 6-15-11, 6-14-11, 6-13-11, 6-12-11, 6-11-11, 6-10-11, 6-9-11, 6-8-11, 6-7-11, 6-6-11, 6-3-11, 6-2-11, 6-1-11, 5-31-11, 5-30-11, 5-29-11, 5-28-11, 5-27-11, 5-26-11,
[Prices may have changed since titles were posted. Or not.]

Here are today's New Lows:

Roving Mars $10.99
La Mission $10.99

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead $13.49

The Breakfast Club (25th Anniversary Edition) $15.49

The Count of Monte Cristo (Pre-order) $17.99

Earth From Above: Amazing Lands $21.99

Last edited by lizard; 06-27-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-27-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
^^^ Wow, that's a lot of pre-orders of previously released titles which now include a DVD and digital copy...
what suxs is the fact that i picked some of those titles up at same price used without the dvd/ dc. I like freebies. haha
Old 06-27-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What also suxs is that I bought Serenity on blu, on DVD, and on digital
Old 06-27-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The price drop on Monte Cristo now makes the combo with O Brother Where Art Thou $26.98 for both.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.