Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
As someone who has saved more than a few bucks on BRs because of Lizard (and on DVDs in general due to this side of the board), I feel exactly the same way Pizza does.

Lizard, if you would like to go to the Hamiltonbook.com website and pick out 25$ worth of DVDs or books (or pick from our very limited selection of overpriced BRs), I would be very happy to send them on out to you. You saved me more than that the first month you were doing this.

Alternately I guess I could say you COST me that much by showing me all these good deals but my lack of willpower is my problem, not yours!

Just shoot me a PM if you're interested (I sponsor a fair amount of the challenges so I think the runners could vouch that I am on the level, this isn't autobot spam or the like)
I thought he did get money? The links have a dvdtalk link in them. When we click on them Amazon I thought they give the person money? I have no idea on how much is given.
Old 06-23-11, 08:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
I thought he did get money? The links have a dvdtalk link in them. When we click on them Amazon I thought they give the person money? I have no idea on how much is given.
They are DVDTalk links, so the money goes to IB, the company that owns this and other websites.

Lizard is a regular member just like you or me, who volunteers his time to help us all out.

No individual on DVDTalk is allowed to make money from any sort of referral links or advertising.
Old 06-23-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drq2
Is there a link you go to to pull all the deals or do you look at this site and that site and pull your info from there?
I go here to see deals regularly.
Old 06-24-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I definitely sympathize with Lizard. The work he does in this thread is mostly thankless, but valuable in a way to many people. The most robust site I know of for sorting Amazon's prices on Blu-ray is here:

http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/prices

Lots of handy options to sort Amazon's listings, though it is an affiliate site in its own regard.
Old 06-24-11, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I definitely sympathize with Lizard. The work he does in this thread is mostly thankless, but valuable in a way to many people. The most robust site I know of for sorting Amazon's prices on Blu-ray is here:

http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/prices

Lots of handy options to sort Amazon's listings, though it is an affiliate site in its own regard.
Till just now I had no idea. Yes I never asked if he was part of this site or not. I just seen the link and I know about the affiliate links I just thought it was him getting some kind of % off are sales.

I have no clue on how many people really read this posting. But lets face it, he is the one keeping it going. DVDtalk should let him put a affiliate link in there (sure one could say the others can, but).

If I never said it, thank you for taking time in posting I really thought you where getting a % of my sales not this site.
Old 06-24-11, 10:37 AM

Lizard, LaserMovies, Mnementh, Speedy, Mao, Gizmo, Nemien, Mister Peepers, EdTheRipper, the mods, the Challenge leads, and dozens of others have all taken turns doing great work for their fellow DVDTalkers, volunteering dozens or even hundreds of hours of their own time.

It takes a village.

What have you done for DVDTalk?
Old 06-24-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks to all of those guys. I try to post deals when I find them, but nothing like the amount of time those guys give to help strangers.
Old 06-24-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Lizard, LaserMovies, Mnementh, Speedy, Mao, Gizmo, Nemien, Mister Peepers, EdTheRipper, the mods, the Challenge leads, and dozens of others have all taken turns doing great work for their fellow DVDTalkers, volunteering dozens or even hundreds of hours of their own time.

It takes a village.

I read all their threads and posts!
Old 06-24-11, 12:50 PM

It takes a village.

Other then read the post and posting, clicking on the links (ok I thought someone else was getting the money). I was the the guy who fix the problem this site had when 800.com/buy.com (I cannot remember the site but it was 3 dvd for $1.00). I was the sr admin for there original backbone.

I have like this site since that day, I even got my 1st dvd player later that week (I did get a lot of cheat dvds that day). At the time I was known as Movieguy (on this and other boards). So it's easy to say I have been on this board now for 11/12 year (since 99).

That is why I said what I said to him, and to each person that post a sale. I have most a handful in my time. We all fine them and many people post deals. This person just happens to post the most and again. Thank you.

I bitch like everyone else does. but for the most part I read this on my cell at every update. Unlike some other sites.
Old 06-24-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

3 for $1.00 was 800.com ah... those were the days!
Old 06-24-11, 01:16 PM

I got 39 disks before 800.com fix there problem (the site was only to let one order per address work, but it went by email address. at the time. I just had to make a new one). Then Reel.com. That was a great site. Miss it.
Old 06-24-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Previous lists:
6-23-11, 6-22-11, 6-21-11, 6-20-11, 6-19-11, 6-18-11, 6-17-11, 6-16-11, 6-15-11, 6-14-11, 6-13-11, 6-12-11, 6-11-11, 6-10-11, 6-9-11, 6-8-11, 6-7-11, 6-6-11, 6-3-11, 6-2-11, 6-1-11, 5-31-11, 5-30-11, 5-29-11, 5-28-11, 5-27-11, 5-26-11, 5-25-11, 5-24-11,
[Prices may have changed since titles were posted. Or not.]

Here are today's New Lows:

The Island $15.49

You Got Served: Beat the World $19.99

James and the Giant Peach (Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo) $20.49

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Pre-order) $23.49

Season of the Witch (Pre-order) $24.99

Eastbound & Down: The Complete First Season (Pre-order) $26.99
Eastbound & Down: The Complete Second Season (Pre-order) $26.99

Bored to Death: The Complete Second Season (Pre-order) $31.99
Old 06-24-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes a village.

I complained about you parking in a handicapped spot without a tag, does that count?
Old 06-24-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are DVDTalk links, so the money goes to IB, the company that owns this and other websites.

Lizard is a regular member just like you or me, who volunteers his time to help us all out.

No individual on DVDTalk is allowed to make money from any sort of referral links or advertising.
Yes. I volunteer my efforts here to help out the DVD Talk community because so many others have helped me out with their contributions here. But, as with any volunteer project, I do it when I can as best I can.

Outside DVD Talk I do massive amounts of volunteer work because I retired rather young (age 45) and it allowed me to continue to be a productive member of society even though I had left the work-a-day world. It also has been fun at times. I spend Thursdays at one of those volunteer jobs, so my time is limited at DVD Talk.

I appreciate the support of those who find this thread valuable and I appreciate the many others in the DVD Talk community who help provide useful information to all of us. It is a collaborative effort.
Old 06-24-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Just a friendly aside.... Savant is a good film historian and critic, but he is not very knowledgeable or reliable when it comes to rating the more technical aspects of a transfer or presentation. I never invest any confidence in his ability to gauge how good a DVD or Blu Ray is beyond his content review.
I wasn't aware of that.
There are much better sites for more technical reviews, including DVD Beaver and Robert Harris' posts at HTF. Harris was the one who really took Fox to task for the excessive DNR on PATTON and THE LONGEST DAY.
I really don't have time to wade through other home theater sites, although I am aware that Harris is one of the most respected technical experts around. Nevertheless, I have found that most of the DVD Talk reviewers do a pretty good job with their reviews on both content and technical details.
Old 06-24-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure there are many people you forgot to list, since it is impossible to remember everyone, but one I can think of right away is YOURSELF. You have successfully updated/managed several threads here over the years, and I thank you for it, so you should give yourself some credit as well!
Old 06-24-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
I wasn't aware of that.I really don't have time to wade through other home theater sites,
This is a fantastic site which will group most, if not all, of the reviews into links and you can choose which ones you want to read. It's a bit fussy with how you put in the title, exact wording required, but it's an invaluable site which I use just about everyday:

DVDBASEN
Old 06-24-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks to everyone... You have saved me tons of $$ (and also cost me mega tons of $$... LOL...)

I am glad for those that are regular contributers... those I have traded with.. those that thank me for sharing something.. and am glad I discovered this forum those many years ago.. Here's to many more years here..

Old 06-24-11, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I complained about you parking in a handicapped spot without a tag, does that count?
I had really bad upgrade-itis that day.
Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I'm sure there are many people you forgot to list, since it is impossible to remember everyone, but one I can think of right away is YOURSELF. You have successfully updated/managed several threads here over the years, and I thank you for it, so you should give yourself some credit as well!
Thanks, but I just share the stuff that I would obsessively blog or chant about anyway. But you're very welcome.
This is a fantastic site which will group most, if not all, of the reviews into links and you can choose which ones you want to read. It's a bit fussy with how you put in the title, exact wording required, but it's an invaluable site which I use just about everyday:

DVDBASEN
Sweet site! It sounds familiar, sure I've seen it mentioned here before, but I've never really checked it out before. To my bookmark bar it goes, thanks!
Old 06-24-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, but I just share the stuff that I would obsessively blog or chant about anyway.

Sweet site! It sounds familiar, sure I've seen it mentioned here before, but I've never really checked it out before. To my bookmark bar it goes, thanks!
You're welcome, Trevor. Haven't talked to you in awhile, hope you're doing well.

Hey, do you really "chant" about DVD bargains? Maybe I should try that. Does it bring you inner peace?
Old 06-25-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Thanks to everyone... You have saved me tons of $$ (and also cost me mega tons of $$... LOL...)

I am glad for those that are regular contributers... those I have traded with.. those that thank me for sharing something.. and am glad I discovered this forum those many years ago.. Here's to many more years here..

This. Right. Here.

Thank you guys. The one thing I contribute every so often will never compare to everything you guys have given me. Even if it is hundreds or thousands from the wallet. lol

Last edited by SethDLH; 06-25-11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pre-order both The Count of Monte Cristo and O Brother Where Art Thou and get $8.00 off the pair.

Count of Monte Cristo page (Scroll down to where it says "Best Value" for combo. Items release 9/13/2011):

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cr...9005437&sr=1-2

Current prices would put the combo at something like $33 after discount. Could be price drops prior to release.
Old 06-25-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Interesting deal, thanks. I'm sure I'll get O Brother at some point. Never seen Monte Cristo. Both would be good candidates for a future historical challenge.
Old 06-25-11, 10:03 AM

You're welcome, Trevor. Haven't talked to you in awhile, hope you're doing well.

Hey, do you really "chant" about DVD bargains? Maybe I should try that. Does it bring you inner peace?
Just an exaggeration. My mild OCD is more list making and organizing/re-organizing based.
Old 06-25-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Previous lists:
6-24-11, 6-23-11, 6-22-11, 6-21-11, 6-20-11, 6-19-11, 6-18-11, 6-17-11, 6-16-11, 6-15-11, 6-14-11, 6-13-11, 6-12-11, 6-11-11, 6-10-11, 6-9-11, 6-8-11, 6-7-11, 6-6-11, 6-3-11, 6-2-11, 6-1-11, 5-31-11, 5-30-11, 5-29-11, 5-28-11, 5-27-11, 5-26-11, 5-25-11, 5-24-11,
[Prices may have changed since titles were posted. Or not.]

Here are today's New Lows:

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend (Pre-order) $5.99

John Carpenter's the Ward (Pre-order) $18.99

Beastly (Pre-order) $19.99
Madea's Big Happy Family (Pre-order) $19.99

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Pre-order) $22.49

Hung: The Complete Second Season (Pre-order) $31.99

Coen Brothers Collection (Blood Simple/Fargo/Miller's Crossing/Raising Arizona) (Pre-order) $46.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.