DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/581411-barnes-noble-criterion-sale.html)

cleaver 11-04-10 10:05 AM

Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10472370)
All right, you guys are all making me jealous, so I just signed up for my free two-month membership. How quickly do they send the member number? I thought it would show up in my account right away, but it hasnt...

The last sale I signed up right before and they gave me the membership discount when I brought in a printout of the email confirmation.

kenbenobi 11-04-10 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by cleaver (Post 10472377)
The last sale I signed up right before and they gave me the membership discount when I brought in a printout of the email confirmation.

Thanks, I will try that if I don't receive my member number by the time I leave work. I'd like to stop at B&N on my way home and pick up some titles before they get picked over...

Trevor 11-04-10 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10472397)
Thanks, I will try that if I don't receive my member number by the time I leave work. I'd like to stop at B&N on my way home and pick up some titles before they get picked over...

The other day I got the email with my number a few hours after I placed the order. But it's been reported that the number doesn't work in their register's system for a couple days, so definitely bring the emails with you.

jrsl76 11-04-10 10:37 AM

Day 1:
House
Seven Samurai
Paths Of Glory
The Darjeeling Limited

Day 2:
Charade
The Magician

Day 3:
8 1/2
Breathless
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

NoirFan 11-04-10 11:35 AM

The cashier today would only take one coupon, telling me that they're really cracking down on multiple coupon usage. I bought Breathless and Thin Red Line. I also put Bigger Than Life, Paris, Texas and the Allan King set on hold. I figured I'd use a $5/$50 and 15% coupon for those on Saturday, then lay low until Night of the Hunter on Tuesday.

BSTNFAN 11-04-10 12:37 PM

Has anyone bought online using the military discount? Is it better/worse than the 10% AAA?

Maxflier 11-04-10 12:41 PM

I see they fixed the price on Wings Of Desire, so I nabbed that one today.

bse 11-04-10 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN (Post 10472662)
Has anyone bought online using the military discount? Is it better/worse than the 10% AAA?

Military is 6% off with free UPS shipping on any order, the AAA is the better deal, as long as you spend $25 for the free shipping. If your spending under $25 the best bet would probably be the military discount.

NoirFan 11-04-10 01:13 PM

Damn, I should have put Days of Heaven on hold when I saw it earlier today, now it's OOS. Ditto Terminal Station and the Von Sternberg set, so there's (potentially) $15 down the drain. I guess I'll wait until just before the sale ends to order those three online, perhaps my store will get more in-stock by then.

jwstl 11-04-10 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10472744)
Damn, I should have put Days of Heaven on hold when I saw it earlier today, now it's OOS. Ditto Terminal Station and the Von Sternberg set, so there's (potentially) $15 down the drain. I guess I'll wait until just before the sale ends to order those three online, perhaps my store will get more in-stock by then.

Or you could go to the store and have them order them for you. You can use the coupons on in-store orders.

NoirFan 11-04-10 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10472767)
Or you could go to the store and have them order them for you. You can use the coupons on in-store orders.

Didn't know that, thanks. Hopefully I'll get a more willing cashier.

efordvt 11-04-10 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10472370)
All right, you guys are all making me jealous, so I just signed up for my free two-month membership. How quickly do they send the member number? I thought it would show up in my account right away, but it hasnt...

Did you have to make a purchase to get the free 2 month membership? If so, what did you get? If not, how did you do it?

dino88 11-04-10 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by efordvt (Post 10472939)
Did you have to make a purchase to get the free 2 month membership? If so, what did you get? If not, how did you do it?

I purchased House to get the membership. Another member mentioned buying a gift card with the free trial, which was a great idea.

Bob_Bobbson 11-04-10 02:59 PM

Alright, I got my first wave ordered last night:
Seven Samurai
Paths of Glory
Breathless
Charade
(All Blu-Rays)

I was in the middle of checking out when I rembered the library 10% link thingy, and that it still stacks with the Criterion sale. So I removed everything from my cart and went back and redid my order from that link. That was a close one... :lol:

Dexter Douglas 11-04-10 03:06 PM

I did the gift card with free trial as well. The one I went to was pretty picked over, but I found The Golden Age of Television for $18 after coupon/membership, so it wasn't a wasted trip by a longshot.

Trevor 11-04-10 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10472976)
I purchased House to get the membership. Another member mentioned buying a gift card with the free trial, which was a great idea.

I wish I had thought of the gift card trick. Bought a Criterion, but think I'll re-buy it in store with coupon and return the web delivery in-store later.

BuckNaked2k 11-04-10 03:12 PM

Don't worry about OOS titles you want or their stock being "picked over". They have a very good automated replenishment system, and they get deliveries 2-3 times per week, plus the sale goes through 11/21.

One item that does seem kind of scarce is Thin Red Line. I was told they've had 11 copies on order for a while, but even their warehouse doesn't know when they'll be in. It seems Criterion may have underestimated the demand for this one.

dino88 11-04-10 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10473001)
I wish I had thought of the gift card trick. Bought a Criterion, but think I'll re-buy it in store with coupon and return the web delivery in-store later.

Borders doesn't allow website returns in-store, so I wasn't sure if B&N was the same. I think I'll do the same with the copy of House I bought online to save $5.

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10473010)
One item that does seem kind of scarce is Thin Red Line. I was told they've had 11 copies on order for a while, but even their warehouse doesn't know when they'll be in. It seems Criterion may have underestimated the demand for this one.

I ordered The Thin Red Line in-store, but it's not scheduled to arrive until 11/23 (sale ends 11/21). I was in the store last night buying a few Criterions and talked to the employee about my order. He was cool enough to tell me that even if it arrives after the sale date he will still sell it to me for 50% off.

efordvt 11-04-10 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10472976)

Can you do all of this (gift card purchase and free membership) online, or do you have to do it in store?

wormraper 11-04-10 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10473044)
Borders doesn't allow website returns in-store, so I wasn't sure if B&N was the same. I think I'll do the same with the copy of House I bought online to save $5.

I ordered The Thin Red Line in-store, but it's not scheduled to arrive until 11/23 (sale ends 11/21). I was in the store last night buying a few Criterions and talked to the employee about my order. He was cool enough to tell me that even if it does arrive after the sale date he will still sell it to me for 50% off.

Yes they do. It's in their return policy.

cleaver 11-04-10 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10473010)
Don't worry about OOS titles you want or their stock being "picked over". They have a very good automated replenishment system, and they get deliveries 2-3 times per week, plus the sale goes through 11/21.

I bought the last copy of Thin Red Line and Seven Samurai at my store on Monday; they had 3 or 4 copies of Seven Samurai yesterday and still no Thin Red Line.

dino88 11-04-10 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by efordvt (Post 10473045)
Can you do all of this (gift card purchase and free membership) online, or do you have to do it in store?

The free trial is an online offer. I don't even know if it's available in-store.

Originally Posted by wormraper (Post 10473049)
Yes they do. It's in their return policy.

I've been turned down on two different occasions. Even when one blu-ray was defective, they told me I couldn't exchange it for the same item on their shelves. This is the same store that waits a week after receiving my order to call me. Yeah, I've stopped shopping there.

BuckNaked2k 11-04-10 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10473058)
I've been turned down on two different occasions. Even when one blu-ray was defective, they told me I couldn't exchange it for the same item on their shelves. This is the same store that waits a week after receiving my order to call me. Yeah, I've stopped shopping there.

That store is hosed. I've exchanged .com merchandise that arrived damaged or got refunds on stuff I just didn't want/found cheaper elsewhere.

jwstl 11-04-10 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10473081)
That store is hosed. I've exchanged .com merchandise that arrived damaged or got refunds on stuff I just didn't want/found cheaper elsewhere.

They may not be "hosed". The policy states they will accept .com CD/DVD returns in-store only if it is unopened. Opened items must be returned to Borders.com. I assume dino's BD was opened which is how he knew it was defective.

jwstl 11-04-10 04:09 PM

I was going to get Paris, Texas BD during the last sale and held off after reading the DVDTalk reviewer complain about the audio. None of the other reviews I read mentioned it. Anyone have a complaint with the audio?