DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/581411-barnes-noble-criterion-sale.html)

PopcornTreeCt 10-31-10 10:27 AM

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

For those of you that never check the DVD Bargains forum (like me), it is unofficial yet but the semi-annual 50% off Criterion sale is supposed to start tomorrow 11/01.

Link to Barnes and Noble Coupon Thread on DVDtalk (super thanks to LASERMOVIES for coupons)

riotinmyskull 10-31-10 10:28 AM

Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

my wallet just screamed

flix1 10-31-10 10:38 AM

Really? It seems like the previous sale was just a couple of months ago.

Guess I'll have to check which Blu-rays were released since the last sale.

rexinnih 10-31-10 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 10463001)
my wallet just screamed

As did I!

sumdeus 10-31-10 10:53 AM

Not active from what I just saw.

Greg MacGuffin 10-31-10 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10462996)
it is unofficial yet but the semi-annual 50% off Criterion sale is supposed to start tomorrow 11/01.

sumdeus 10-31-10 11:02 AM

So there are 31 days in October ;) I'll be okay after I get some lunch!

PopcornTreeCt 10-31-10 11:08 AM

Did I make a mistake with the date?

Solid Snake 10-31-10 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 10463001)
my wallet just screamed

more like an orgasm for my wallet. It can't take this many Criterions all at once! They're too big for it!!

wormraper 10-31-10 04:58 PM

Picking up

Charade
Seven Samurai
M

and when it comes out

Night of the Hunter

sleepyhead55 10-31-10 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10463063)
Did I make a mistake with the date?

Nope. It starts tommorrow online and in stores on Tuesday.

RoadToPerdition 10-31-10 05:28 PM

I wonder if there will be coupon restrictions this time around.

wormraper 10-31-10 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 10463884)
Nope. It starts tommorrow online and in stores on Tuesday.

according to a b and N employee it starts in store on Monday as well

1895Gus 10-31-10 06:53 PM

Thin Red Line....mine.

Moopher 10-31-10 07:30 PM

Just Seven Samurai for this guy.

zekeburger1979 10-31-10 08:23 PM

http://files.sharenator.com/FFFFFUUU...-40117-580.jpg

ThePhantomGoat 10-31-10 09:42 PM

Can someone explain to me how this sale works? are all criterions just on sale? do I need a coupon? in store, right?

wormraper 10-31-10 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel (Post 10464498)
All criterions are on sale, 50% off. No need for coupon or membership. Just stroll in with the cash and pay 50% of list price plus tax. With membership and coupon you can get an additional discount such as this $5 off coupon:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=34904

Membership is $25 for the year. However, you can buy the membership, use it for the sale and then cancel the membership for a refund within 30 days.

right now they're doing 2 months of membership free trial so you can sign up for a month or so and use the $5 off coupons along with the 10% off members discount

cgray 10-31-10 10:15 PM

///you can get an additional discount such as this $5 off coupon:

I never understand why these coupons generally work, even after minor hassles with the employees. "Coupon may be used once... for each new, valid and current B&N membership purchased between..."

Every time I have had any difficult using the coupon, this is not a section we are discussing. Most of us did not purchase our memberships during that time period, so I suppose it is just fortunate that zero employees choose to enforce that part of the coupon? Maybe I am misreading something...

Of course, that's not what I'm going to be bringing up in store.

wormraper 10-31-10 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by cgray (Post 10464550)
I never understand why these coupons generally work, even after minor hassles with the employees. "Coupon may be used once... for each new, valid and current B&N membership purchased between..."

Every time I have had any difficult using the coupon, this is not a section we are discussing. Most of us did not purchase our memberships during that time period, so I suppose it is just fortunate that zero employees choose to enforce that part of the coupon? Maybe I am misreading something...

Of course, that's not what I'm going to be bringing up in store.

lol, yeah, they never enforce those dates.

BuckNaked2k 10-31-10 10:25 PM

You never know. Last time, they shut down the online coupons during the sale. Who knows what corporate has put out to the stores this time around.

My strategy is to hit 'em fast, frequent, and early.

asianxcore 10-31-10 10:27 PM

Probably just going to pick up House (Hausu) and maybe Red Shoes

bse 10-31-10 10:35 PM

Nothing like dumping a bunch of Criterion standard DVDs on Amazon for more then you will be paying for the blu-rays tomorrow.

NoirFan 10-31-10 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by bse (Post 10464602)
Nothing like dumping a bunch of Criterion standard DVDs on Amazon for more then you will be paying for the blu-rays tomorrow.

Yeah, I double-dip on Criterion titles I might normally pass on simply because Criterion's high resale value on Amazon allows me to upgrade for free or even at a profit.

Sweet Baby James 10-31-10 11:17 PM

Sale is live online-

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DV...linkid=1629614

CardiffGiant 10-31-10 11:41 PM

I tried coupons on DVDs and BDs and they don't seem to be working...guess we'll see what happens in-store.

EDIT: Library link is working and will get you 10% off your entire order.

Moopher 11-01-10 12:00 AM

Got my one and only order!

MikeDeN2K 11-01-10 12:03 AM

Are there any active in-store member coupons right now? Or is the Library link the best I'm going to do (which would make the in-store price with the member discount even with the online price, negating the purpose of driving out to the store). But after all the hullabaloo about how much people save with a membership during this sale, paying $17.99 + tax for upper-tiers seems kind of high to me. Am I missing something?

Laser Movies 11-01-10 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K (Post 10464760)
Are there any active in-store member coupons right now? Or is the Library link the best I'm going to do (which would make the in-store price with the member discount even with the online price, negating the purpose of driving out to the store). But after all the hullabaloo about how much people save with a membership during this sale, paying $17.99 + tax for upper-tiers seems kind of high to me. Am I missing something?

Can't use coupons online for this sale. Best bet is either the Library or AAA links to save 10% off your order. If you don't have a membership make sure your order is over $25 to avoid a shipping charge. Shouldn't be too hard if you order at least a couple of Criterions.

jwstl 11-01-10 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K (Post 10464760)

Have you considered looking for in-store B&N coupons in the B&N Coupon thread? Seems the logical place...

MikeDeN2K 11-01-10 12:14 AM

I know that - I said in-store.

Idioteque... 11-01-10 12:14 AM

All criterions are on sale, 50% off. No need for coupon or membership. Just stroll in with the cash and pay 50% of list price plus tax. With membership and coupon you can get an additional discount such as this $5 off coupon:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=34904

Membership is $25 for the year. However, you can buy the membership, use it for the sale and then cancel the membership for a refund within 30 days.

Incorrect, 30 days my ass, it's 14 days now to return anything, I didn't make it within 14 days and I got screwed over. How awesome is that? =| and these pos barely give you a good deal with their shitty membership.

MikeDeN2K 11-01-10 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10464771)
Have you considered looking for in-store B&N coupons in the B&N Coupon thread? Seems the logical place...

I did and couldn't find any. Figured I'd ask politely, expecting a polite response, but...

Trevor 11-01-10 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K (Post 10464777)
I did and couldn't find any. Figured I'd ask politely, expecting a polite response, but...

They are in the first post of that thread. Same place they've been for years thanks to Lasermovies.

bse 11-01-10 12:18 AM

I already got my schedule to ship notification,

Product Description Quantity Expected Ship Date Price
Paths of Glory 1 11-01-2010 $0.00
House 1 11-01-2010 $0.00
À Bout de Souffle 1 11-01-2010 $0.00
The Darjeeling Limited 1 11-01-2010 $0.00

Sub Total: $0.00
Shipping & Processing: FREE
Tax: $5.04
Total Shipment Price: $5.04

I knew this sale was good, but this good....

Laser Movies 11-01-10 12:24 AM

Click the spoiler tags that are below some of the online codes in the coupon thread and you should see the store coupons available along with a direct link to them at the B&N web site.

dino88 11-01-10 12:26 AM

I'm in for The Thin Red Line this week and Antichrist next week. I might pick up a couple more if I don't have any problems using the $5 coupons. This will be my first time buying with a membership during the sale, so I have no idea how my store is about coupons.

jwstl 11-01-10 12:27 AM

I must have missed the polite part.

"But after all the hullabaloo about how much people save with a membership during this sale, paying $17.99 + tax for upper-tiers seems kind of high to me."

If 17.99 for the best version of some of the best films ever made is too high for you then maybe you aren't a Criterion person.
I never thought I'd hear someone complain about paying $18 for a Criterion Blu-ray. Then again, there are people in these forums happy when trash like The Human Centipede drops to $15. I wouldn't take that if they gave me $15 to take it. Compared to that, getting these Criterions at $18 (or less) is nearly criminal.

ResIpsa 11-01-10 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Idioteque... (Post 10464776)
Incorrect, 30 days my ass, it's 14 days now to return anything, I didn't make it within 14 days and I got screwed over. How awesome is that? =| and these pos barely give you a good deal with their shitty membership.

Pretty awesome, I'd say. Someone has to pay for the great deals the rest of us got ;).

GenPion 11-01-10 01:02 AM

Placed an order. It may be my only one. There's certainly more I want, but I'm not sure I can afford it, and I still have plenty to watch from the last sale.

I ordered:
The First Films of Akira Kurosawa (Eclipse DVD Set)
Mystery Train
The Darjeeling Limited
Seven Samurai
The Magician

And I ordered a Criterion DVD for a family member as a Christmas gift.