DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/581411-barnes-noble-criterion-sale.html)

sotra 11-05-10 08:08 PM

Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Thin Red Line is out of stock at all my local stores. Can I order it instore for delivery to store or my home and use coupons? Or do I have ordering online for $17.99 as my only option?

sotra 11-05-10 08:10 PM

Had picked up Last Emperor and picked up Che and Bootle Rocket today. Probably will go for Darjeling Limited too. Saw 3 versions of Monterey Pop. Which one is recommended?

vocalhouse 11-05-10 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by sotra (Post 10475540)
Thin Red Line is out of stock at all my local stores. Can I order it instore for delivery to store or my home and use coupons? Or do I have ordering online for $17.99 as my only option?

My local store was out too and I had them check online. I was told by the helpful sales person that their warehouses are out of stock also. Online, it says Thin Red Line is available in one to two weeks. The coupons don't work online but you can wait to see if it gets restocked in your store before the sale ends.

Slave2Blu 11-06-10 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by sotra (Post 10475545)
Had picked up Last Emperor and picked up Che and Bootle Rocket today. Probably will go for Darjeling Limited too. Saw 3 versions of Monterey Pop. Which one is recommended?

The Monterey box set contains the 2 single releases... I have the set, but I've only watched the Jimi Hendrix, I highly recommend it especially if you are a fan.

ppawuk 11-06-10 12:58 AM

Does anyone have a link for the trial membership page? At least on my end, I don't see anything anymore for the trial membership. I'm just hoping I didn't miss it. Thanks.

dino88 11-06-10 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ppawuk (Post 10475885)
Does anyone have a link for the trial membership page? At least on my end, I don't see anything anymore for the trial membership. I'm just hoping I didn't miss it. Thanks.

Link

Click "Accept & Join Now" and the 2 month trial will be added to your cart for $0. You must buy something with it though. Add a gift card and you're set.

sulfhydryl 11-06-10 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10473588)
Has anyone ordered Anti-Christ and not have it cancelled? I'm considering ordering it again.

Mine hasn't been cancelled yet (although now that I mentioned it, it probably will...).

It's an international order. Maybe they treat those differently, e.g. it will not ship until all three pre-order titles in the order have been released, which is not until November 16...:(

Dwarefy 11-06-10 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by sulfhydryl (Post 10475900)
Mine hasn't been cancelled yet (although now that I mentioned it, it probably will...).

It's an international order. Maybe they treat those differently, e.g. it will not ship until all three pre-order titles in the order have been released, which is not until November 16...:(

I'm a international customer (canada) and my Antichrist blu-ray shipped today, on the 6th.

If I were you, I'd just order it again. They canceled maybe 2-3 items for me without reasons and my theory is than when the system has zero in inventory and none in order, it cancels for the customer because they don't know at this moment if they are going to receive more. But it is strange because all my canceled items still says 'usually ships within 24hours'. My canceled items still has not shipped so I can't tell about that (expected on next week)

ppawuk 11-06-10 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10475888)
Link

Click "Accept & Join Now" and the 2 month trial will be added to your cart for $0. You must buy something with it though. Add a gift card and you're set.

Thanks Dino88 for the link.

DirkUSA 11-06-10 07:56 AM

My first order of Antichrist was canceled on Wednesday. I ordered it again yesterday and got a shipping notice short after.

efordvt 11-06-10 08:22 AM

Got the free trial membershp and eGift Card. Picked up Crumb and Darjeeling. The cashier only let me use 1 $5 and the 15% off coupon. He actually lectured me and said that these were only meant to use once. I asked if I could do separate orders, but he wouldn't let me. He had never seen an eGift Card either. Anyway, still awesome, Crumb was $13 with the $5, and Darjeeling was $15.30 with the 15% off - just a couple bucks more.

I'll go back towards the end and see what happens.

slop101 11-06-10 12:57 PM

Went through this thread and I couldn't find any info on when this sale ends. Does anyone know (I just want to be able to use it on the America Lost & Found set that comes out 11/23).

Laser Movies 11-06-10 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10476370)
Went through this thread and I couldn't find any info on when this sale ends. Does anyone know (I just want to be able to use it on the America Lost & Found set that comes out 11/23).

The sale was supposed to end November 21.

slop101 11-06-10 01:12 PM

Dammit - I guess they timed it to end right before the release of a big new box-set. And I assume the sale doesn't take into account pre-orders, right?

Laser Movies 11-06-10 01:20 PM

It doesn't appear it is going to be part of the current sale. It is currently priced at $92.61.

jwstl 11-06-10 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10476383)
And I assume the sale doesn't take into account pre-orders, right?

It appears to work on pre-orders that will be released within the sale period but not on those that will be released after. You can order Night of the Hunter and Modern Times for 50% off because they will be released on the 16th. But the America Lost and Found set is not 50% off so you have to assume it's because it will be released after the sale ends.

kenbenobi 11-06-10 01:45 PM

Picked up Charade and Darjeeling Limited for $13 each. Very disappointed in the stock of Criterion BD's they had. I'll have to hit another store...

adrenaline78 11-06-10 02:18 PM

Thoughts on weather I should get these before I place order.. These would be blind buys.

Salo- Dvd
Paths of Glory - Blu
Le Circle Rouge - dvd

Indio 11-06-10 02:35 PM

I had to work this AM so was close to BN again. Made a second trip and purchased:

Stagecoach
Red Shoes
Yojimbo/Sanjuro set

This time the clerk took all of my coupons in a single transaction so I was able to also use the $5 off $50 coupon. Gotta love this sale.

NoirFan 11-06-10 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 (Post 10476462)
Thoughts on weather I should get these before I place order.. These would be blind buys.

Salo- Dvd
Paths of Glory - Blu
Le Circle Rouge - dvd

Salo can make for unpleasant viewing at times, I'd recommend a rental first. Paths of Glory is a classic, and Le Circle Rouge is, along with Le Samourai, Melville's best gangster film.

adrenaline78 11-06-10 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10476504)
Salo can make for unpleasant viewing at times, I'd recommend a rental first. Paths of Glory is a classic, and Le Circle Rouge is, along with Le Samourai, Melville's best gangster film.

Thanks. I tried to get Salo from the library. No netflix here. Unless I free trial again. Maybe i'll give that a shot at that again.

I didn't know Paths of glory was a kubrick film.. not sure why as I've always enjoyed his work.

The other question.. is Le Circle Rouge and Le Samaurai connected? Like do I need to watch em both together?

Jason Bovberg 11-06-10 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by sotra (Post 10475540)

I had this problem at my two local stores, too, and there was a waiting list at both stores. If you have an Ultimate Electronics in your area, they're price-matching the sale. YMMV, but I just got 50% off at my local UE--off their regular $27.95 price--making it very close to the B&N deal with coupon. Just FYI.

Toddarino 11-06-10 03:35 PM

I think I'm almost done for this sale. I've been denied four times by five different people with the 5.00 of coupon so I've been bringing along the 15 percent off one. Normally I would argue more, but the coupon does state that it's for a membership purchased between such and such a date. I'll pick up Night Of The Hunter next week and if it's still on, that BBS story box.
So far : The Thin Red Line, The Magician, The Darjeeling Limited, Paths Of Glory and House.

sleepyhead55 11-06-10 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 (Post 10476515)
Thanks. I tried to get Salo from the library. No netflix here. Unless I free trial again. Maybe i'll give that a shot at that again.

I didn't know Paths of glory was a kubrick film.. not sure why as I've always enjoyed his work.

The other question.. is Le Circle Rouge and Le Samaurai connected? Like do I need to watch em both together?

Nope. Totally different unconnected films. The only common factors are that they were both directed by Jean Pierre Melville and star Alain Delon.

Sessa17 11-06-10 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 (Post 10476515)

They have absolutely nothing to do with each other aside from being from the same director & both staring Delon.