Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Iron Man 2 Blu Ray steel Case at Target

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Iron Man 2 Blu Ray steel Case at Target

If anybody want to know how it looks inside the steel case, check out this youtube video.
It is pretty nice. If you can get it for the BB price, it is a steal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tuUaNgSuGc
Old 09-29-10, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy

Sorry to laugh, but....those have been dead in the water for months.
Well I said a few bucks which to me is about $5 which appears to be what they are going for on ebay.
Old 09-29-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was successful with the PM today. At first, I thought I'd be slick, and took in yesterday's receipt and the BB ad. But they said the PM must be done when it is purchased (which must be done at CS). So I figured I was screwed, but I went ahead and grabbed a copy and went back to CS. She looked at it, then the ad, over and over, so I said "see, they both say Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital Copy." She nodded her head in agreement, so started to pricematch. At first, she started to PM it to $21.99. I got all giddy. But then she realized it said Doorbuster, so said I had to pay $24.99. I said that was fine. To me, $5 extra (compared to next week's BB price) for the Steelbook case is worth it. $17 extra would not be. I must also say this is my first successful PM at Target EVER. They usually find a reason to shoot me down. But they also didn't call for a manager this time. I had a 20 year old girl (cute, too). Next Sunday, I'll try to PM to the $19.99 ad price, but if I get shot down, I won't try again.
Old 09-29-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
Haha... I'm surprised more people aren't seeing it that way. Yeah, everyone who tries this knows Target should not be price matching BB on this exclusive packaging.
Any company policy is typically outweighed by the local store manager. If the local store manager allows his/her employees to offer price matching for exclusives, then that's his/her choice. The fact is, some of us wouldn't BUY the over-priced thing and would go somewhere else if there wasn't some incentive. So, over all, they're not going to be hurting in the pocket book AND they're getting the sale they want. All this talk about stealing and scams is just puritanical bs.

FYI, I haven't done any price matching. I just think the people criticizing it are ridiculous. If they slipped the case in their pocket, or taped a different UPC over the back, that'd be a different story.
Old 09-29-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Clayman32
Well I said a few bucks which to me is about $5 which appears to be what they are going for on ebay.
... But you paid $10. (Also, remember the nearly 15% fees and 2% paypal fees from that $5 sale).
Old 09-29-10, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by izatright
Any company policy is typically outweighed by the local store manager. If the local store manager allows his/her employees to offer price matching for exclusives, then that's his/her choice.
The steelbook is only, what, $2 more than the regular one at Target? Not sure why that is this time, because usually their exclusives aren't priced any higher than the standard version and are even under the same DPCI. But at any rate a sensible policy would seem to be to price-match to the Best Buy price but add $2 on to make up for the normal difference in price of the exclusive. You're absolutely right that denying the price-match flat-out is stupid for them, and defeats the whole purpose of offering a price-match policy in the first place. I would have been glad to buy it if they said they'd price-match except for adding on the regular price differential between the two versions. As it is, I think if I DON'T go back on Sunday to try to get the lower Best Buy price, I will have paid what that sensible amount would have been anyway.
Old 09-29-10, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by JediJones
The steelbook is only, what, $2 more than the regular one at Target?
No, it's $7 more.

Not sure why that is this time, because usually their exclusives aren't priced any higher than the standard version and are even under the same DPCI.
You're confusing exclusive bonus discs with exclusive packaging. Sets with different packaging don't have the same DPCI and aren't priced the same as the "normal" versions.

They should price match the "normal" 3-disc combo pack to BB. There is no reason for them to price match the exclusive packaging. It's an entirely different product. They have the same product everyone is trying to price match with BB sitting on their shelves. This is simple. If people don't want to actually PAY for this premium case, don't buy it. Buy the normal 3 pack and they'll price match it to Best Buy. Nobody can be too peeved if they refuse to do something everyone here knows they shouldn't be doing in the first place.

Last edited by BrandonJF; 09-29-10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
someone at Blu-ray.com posted a picture of their #1 they got.
Found it...
http://forum.blu-ray.com/attachments...on-man-008.jpg
Old 09-29-10, 03:42 PM

... But you paid $10. (Also, remember the nearly 15% fees and 2% paypal fees from that $5 sale).
I'm not selling the Blu Ray I just bought. I am talking about the DVD version I bought when it first came out.
Old 09-29-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Any company policy is typically outweighed by the local store manager. If the local store manager allows his/her employees to offer price matching for exclusives, then that's his/her choice. The fact is, some of us wouldn't BUY the over-priced thing and would go somewhere else if there wasn't some incentive. So, over all, they're not going to be hurting in the pocket book AND they're getting the sale they want. All this talk about stealing and scams is just puritanical bs.

FYI, I haven't done any price matching. I just think the people criticizing it are ridiculous. If they slipped the case in their pocket, or taped a different UPC over the back, that'd be a different story.
The question is, would others buy it at full price? If so, they are hurting in the pocket book. Around here, this is the only version that is sold out at the nearest Targets (though to be honest, this place is scalper-central).
Old 09-29-10, 05:17 PM

??? Seriously? Look, if people get away with it, more power to 'em. I'm not condemning anyone for doing it, but nobody should be kidding themselves that it's not the least bit shady. Your whole argument is based on "if they let you do it, it's right", isn't it? I can't say I haven't subscribed to that theory before myself. However, I'd be well aware that I was doing something shady. I would never "expect" them to do something like this, though. Trust me - when these PMs are being done, nobody is being forthcoming with all the info.. like they are price matching two different products. I might even see a case if Target only sold or stocked the MetalPack version and you couldn't buy the "normal" 3-disc set at Target. But... you can. And everyone here knows it.

Just extend it to anything. Heck, price match the 3 disc metal pack to the 1 disc DVD at Best Buy and it's even cheaper! Why not? Sure, you know it's not the same product (just like this MetalPack isn't the same product), but I gaurantee someone can find some Target CS person at some store that will do the price match, because they don't know there are multiple versions and don't look close enough. People doing the price matching are relying 100% on the CS person not knowing anything about the product. You guys aren't "owed" Best Buy's price for this limited collectible case version and it is so silly to expect it or think it's "right". I'm not personally offended by those who do it at all (doesn't impact me and, like you said, it was Target's call) - I'm just more shocked that some are pretending you're not doing what you're doing or that they should do the PM. They absolutely should not. Those that get away with it are lucky.
Old 09-29-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I said, I bought the steelbook but didn't price match. I just don't think it's shady or scamming. The fact is, besides the steel case it IS the same set. They are getting the 3-disc set price matched to the 3-disc set. Further, as long as there was no deception the whole thing is always up to the store, manager and/or employee's choice.
Old 09-29-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haha... I'm surprised more people aren't seeing it that way. Yeah, everyone who tries this knows Target should not be price matching BB on this exclusive packaging. Target sells the exact same thing BB is selling in addition to this exclusive. It's exactly like if a studio releases a stand-alone release and a full-blown collector's edition and you buy the CE, then try to price match against the stand-alone. It's a scam that relies 100% on the ignorance of the customer service rep you're trying to pull one over on.

I loved that one "the discs inside are the same" argument. haha... hilarious. The manager should've just said, "Then get the normal version without the case. It's much cheaper and we'll price match it!"
SERIOUSLY? Here is the thing, Its the stores call on this. No one is being sneaky or crafty, the package says right on it TARGET EXCLUSIVE PACKAGING. so if a store manager or cs person felt they shouldnt price match it, they could right then and there , with a legit reason. But most store managers and cs people understand that by price matching something that might be packaged a little differently and priced 7 dollars more than the regular packaging, that what little they loose in profit on the item on that day they will usually more than make up with the loyality they will have gained from the customer, cause the customer in theory is more likely to buy more higher ticket prices their in the future.

This isnt something where people are trying to scam coupons or get discounts from un trained regular cashiers. These price matches are being authorized and okd by the STORE MANAGERS and CUSTOMER SERVICE Reps, who are trained to know when its appropriate and when its not to accept a price match.

Retail stores grant their management and and CS reps the abilty to make judgement calls on their policies when they want. If you cant understand that then i dont know what to tell you.

But you are flat out wrong questioning the morality of people going in and asking for a price match. exclusive packaging is no different than exclusive bonus discs or exclusive toys included etc etc. Its the stores call if they want to honor a price match on an exclusive bonus.

other stores will price match on their exclusives as well. Look at the bestbuy bond exclusives they accepted price matches for 14.99 on the standard blurays from frys, with no issues. they also price matched the regular blu editions on the disney steelbooks last holiday season as well.
Old 09-29-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,252 Likes on 862 Posts

Persistence paid off ... (edited for brevity) ... So I went over there, and got a little worried because the clerk was a really cute, slender girl. Usually I have better luck with the homelier, chubbier types. However she was young which is always a good sign.
Nick Crush says "congratulations on raping her."
Old 09-29-10, 11:42 PM
Cool New Member

Just bought my steelbook, but the holder that holds disc 1 and 2 is broken and I can't fix it, so i'm gonna take it in tomorrow and exchange it.
Old 09-30-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

??? Seriously? Look, if people get away with it, more power to 'em. I'm not condemning anyone for doing it, but nobody should be kidding themselves that it's not the least bit shady. Your whole argument is based on "if they let you do it, it's right", isn't it? I can't say I haven't subscribed to that theory before myself. However, I'd be well aware that I was doing something shady. I would never "expect" them to do something like this, though. Trust me - when these PMs are being done, nobody is being forthcoming with all the info.. like they are price matching two different products. I might even see a case if Target only sold or stocked the MetalPack version and you couldn't buy the "normal" 3-disc set at Target. But... you can. And everyone here knows it.

Just extend it to anything. Heck, price match the 3 disc metal pack to the 1 disc DVD at Best Buy and it's even cheaper! Why not? Sure, you know it's not the same product (just like this MetalPack isn't the same product), but I gaurantee someone can find some Target CS person at some store that will do the price match, because they don't know there are multiple versions and don't look close enough. People doing the price matching are relying 100% on the CS person not knowing anything about the product. You guys aren't "owed" Best Buy's price for this limited collectible case version and it is so silly to expect it or think it's "right". I'm not personally offended by those who do it at all (doesn't impact me and, like you said, it was Target's call) - I'm just more shocked that some are pretending you're not doing what you're doing or that they should do the PM. They absolutely should not. Those that get away with it are lucky.
No one is pretending anything, it plain as day says target exclusive on the packaging. The manager or cs person sees this plain as day (unless they are very blind and even then its a big freaking label) there is no sneaking around trying to be crafty. no ones trying to get the single disc price for it. they are simply going up and asking, and management for the most part made their judgement calls and said yes . No one on here has acted like they feel they are owed anything, and those select few who were told know just let it go and bought anyways. Even when being turned down for the door buster price of 21.99 which pretty much all the stores said no to (save a few) If they are going to say no the door buster price then if the different packaging was that big of deal to them that they felt it wasnt worth lowering the price they would have said no to doing a price match

But the whole reason why these managers are probably saying yes and approving the matches is because they know that the person buying is then much more likely to spend more money in the store, and on a higher ticket item.

These are management or trained CS reps not cashiers who dont no anybetter. its funny some of the same people (not saying you are one of them) who are questioning this price match, are the same people who post online that they have used the disney 10.00 off coupon on the single disc instead of the combo disc that the coupon is meant for. Or come on saying they got a price match for a version of a movie with the exclusive bonus disc price matched to another stores regular version price, but yet with this some of same people are up in arms because targets management has agreed to let quite a few people get a even better deal via price matching, with no deception on the part the person asking, it doesnt take a genius manager to see there is a difference in packaging but yet they are making the decision themselves to honor another competitors price for a similar but differently packaged product.
Old 09-30-10, 09:52 AM

Target.com up'd the on-line price to match the in-store price.
Old 09-30-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours

This isnt something where people are trying to scam coupons or get discounts from un trained regular cashiers. These price matches are being authorized and okd by the STORE MANAGERS and CUSTOMER SERVICE Reps, who are trained to know when its appropriate and when its not to accept a price match.
These same "trained" customer service reps are responsible for the litany of returned collectible toys with 99 cents toys jammed in the taped-together packaging. Let's be honest, people are going to the customer service desk hoping and praying that they don't realize this is a Target exclusive, and that it costs more than the similar "regular" version. I don't think anyone is coming out and saying "hey, this is an exclusive, but I'd like to price match." Nor would I expect them to.

But to say that these reps are purposefully doing it is a little far fetched, IMHO. And I know the concept behind customer service, but are you really going to buy your big screen TV from Target because they were lenient on a price match, or are you (or I) the type of customer that would shop elsewhere to save a few bucks? I know Best Buy got destroyed for that whole "devil customer" thing, but they do have a point.
Old 09-30-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Picked up the regular version today for $18. No interest in any of the extra crap. Even at that I can be pissed when in 3 weeks someone has it for $12.99.
Old 09-30-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked my store today to see the availability of the steelpack.. At least 15 copies left.. So my guess is that these will go on price cut sooner than later to move these. I will be buying the regular combo pack next week from best buy's admatch. (i don't shop at best buy if I can avoid it)

While I don't agree with other that got the price match because it was not the same item... I don't think it was stealing either. More along the lines of negotiating IMO. The store didn't have to give them that price.. but they did. Sorta like buying the car.
Old 09-30-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No dice, she asked another cashier and they said I had to go to customer service. So I went over there, and got a little worried because the clerk was a really cute, slender girl. Usually I have better luck with the homelier, chubbier types.
Interesting story, although I'm confused by the reference to your sexual experiences.
Old 09-30-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I traded this for Media Market exclusive
Old 10-01-10, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I picked up a copy last Tuesday, but I plan on returning it this weekend. I like the packaging, but not enough to enjoy for freaking $38 bucks. All signs point to this release not holding any resell value either.
Old 10-01-10, 12:10 PM

The asia steel book version is very nice. Pictures are from blu-ray.com

It said region A. Will it play on U.S player? I am thinking about returning the Target version and getting this one instead.
Old 10-01-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It should.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.