Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Karate Kid - $9.99 @ Amazon

It was $10 for a limited time only.
Old 05-07-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tbickle
Never going to happen - if you must have Thomas Ian Griffith in 1080p, you'll have to settle for xXx.
As for Thomas Ian Griffith ah no, but i would like Karate Kid 3 on BD, i guess i'm one of the few that liked it, and xXx i will pass.
Old 05-07-10, 10:09 PM

Well, it don't matter. I'm buying the two pack for $28.
Old 05-07-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe when the remake with Will Smith's kid in it comes out on DVD, they weill box them all up in a big, "Sweep the Leg Megaset."
Old 05-09-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Maybe when the remake with Will Smith's kid in it comes out on DVD, they weill box them all up in a big, "Sweep the Leg Megaset."
I really hope the god awful Kung Fu Kid really is not included in a big box set like that. (I saw it at the screening held at show west in march unfortunately)
It truly is one of the worst remakes we have been subjected to yet.
(I still wish sony would come to their senses and use the same title that is being used everywhere else in the world instead of Karate kid, trying to cash in on peoples warm feelings of the original saga.)

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 05-09-10 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-09-10, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amity, what is the other title?
Old 05-09-10, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Reaper
Amity, what is the other title?
being shown across the world titled "Kung Fu Kid" except in the US. Still pretty funny because the main complaint I hear from anyone while talking about the film is that it takes place in China, so it should be Kung Fu anyways. Genius marketing plan on this one I say.
Old 05-10-10, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by quid squid
being shown across the world titled "Kung Fu Kid" except in the US. Still pretty funny because the main complaint I hear from anyone while talking about the film is that it takes place in China, so it should be Kung Fu anyways. Genius marketing plan on this one I say.
Yeah, even Jackie Chan was confused. He kept calling it "Kung Fu Kid" even though it was being market as Karate Kid. I think he even said that was the final title on it. But it was just because he was confused. They use Kung Fu in the movie, not karate. And that's the title all around the world except in the US. I guess they figure most Americans are ignorant (which they probably are, I never really would have thought about it myself) and they can market it as "Karate Kid" and bring in more people since it's using an already branded name. They set out to do a remake of Karate Kid, so changing the title wasn't an option, at least for the US. The rest of the world, however, would be up in arms about it .

I would have much rather them use the "Kung Fu Kid" title, myself. Of course, I'd much rather them make a sequel to Karate Kid. When all this talk came about, ideas popped up in my head that would make a great sequel, and now I'm bummed that with the new "Karate Kid" they would never go back to the original as they would think it would be too confusing to the audience. Now Karate Kid is going to be all about Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith, and Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio are out. At least when they did the movie with Hilary Swank, it still had Pat Morita in it, so it tied into the originals. It was not as good, but still sweet. I know they can't have Pat Morita in the movies, but they could still have the spirit of his character. I just loved the idea of Daniel-san grown up and running into a child who is much like him and taking him under his wing, trying to pass on the legacy that Mr. Miyagi gave to him. Or passing it onto his own son, even. But along the way, he has a tough time and goes to Mr. Miyagi's grave to "talk" to him about how he realizes how difficult he was. I know it may sound a bit cheesy, but I really think it could be done well. We got to see a lot of Mr. Miyagi's heritage and family legacy in Part II and he was like a father figure to Daniel. So it would only make sense that Daniel would try to pass that down. If they were going to do another Karate Kid movie, that's what I would want to see, how that relationship affected his life (and possibly even his family's life) even later down the road. Showing that Mr. Miyagi's teachings went beyond just his teenage years and getting them out of the bullying situation he was in, and applies to his entire life, including being a father/mentor figure.
Old 05-10-10, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Yeah, even Jackie Chan was confused. He kept calling it "Kung Fu Kid" even though it was being market as Karate Kid. I think he even said that was the final title on it. But it was just because he was confused. They use Kung Fu in the movie, not karate. And that's the title all around the world except in the US. I guess they figure most Americans are ignorant (which they probably are, I never really would have thought about it myself) and they can market it as "Karate Kid" and bring in more people since it's using an already branded name. They set out to do a remake of Karate Kid, so changing the title wasn't an option, at least for the US. The rest of the world, however, would be up in arms about it .

I would have much rather them use the "Kung Fu Kid" title, myself. Of course, I'd much rather them make a sequel to Karate Kid. When all this talk came about, ideas popped up in my head that would make a great sequel, and now I'm bummed that with the new "Karate Kid" they would never go back to the original as they would think it would be too confusing to the audience. Now Karate Kid is going to be all about Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith, and Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio are out. At least when they did the movie with Hilary Swank, it still had Pat Morita in it, so it tied into the originals. It was not as good, but still sweet. I know they can't have Pat Morita in the movies, but they could still have the spirit of his character. I just loved the idea of Daniel-san grown up and running into a child who is much like him and taking him under his wing, trying to pass on the legacy that Mr. Miyagi gave to him. Or passing it onto his own son, even. But along the way, he has a tough time and goes to Mr. Miyagi's grave to "talk" to him about how he realizes how difficult he was. I know it may sound a bit cheesy, but I really think it could be done well. We got to see a lot of Mr. Miyagi's heritage and family legacy in Part II and he was like a father figure to Daniel. So it would only make sense that Daniel would try to pass that down. If they were going to do another Karate Kid movie, that's what I would want to see, how that relationship affected his life (and possibly even his family's life) even later down the road. Showing that Mr. Miyagi's teachings went beyond just his teenage years and getting them out of the bullying situation he was in, and applies to his entire life, including being a father/mentor figure.
I don't understand why Jackie Chan is beating up 8 year olds in this new one...they were a bit older in the original.
Old 05-13-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May 26th - June 1st is my EDD. Guess they really got slammed with orders on this one.