Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Lost: The Complete Collection @ Amazon $196

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lost: The Complete Collection @ Amazon $196

Do the current Blu-Rays have the enhanced versions (with the pop up trivia on the bottom of the screen they show on ABC every so often)? If not, I hope this complete series has that.
Old 02-10-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

^ I doubt they will re-author the discs (if they're not on there) to include it.
Old 05-28-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I can't wait to see the packaging!
Since you asked...

Old 05-28-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking back, I should probably have kept seasons 1-5, but it did bother me that my season 3 didn't have a slip. Not because I need everything to have them, but I do like things to match.

Also, going back to SD, I would have been pissed if I hadn't gotten the Buffy complete series. The packaging is cool and I love the bonus disc interview with some of the cast.

So, Lost ended up with a terrible looking set and a bunch of trinkets that I don't want. But had it have been better, I would be killing myself for not having sold earlier. Other than a few creative people taking advantage of someone who doesn't know better, I doubt you can get the $120 I got for 5 seasons now.

With a $30 gift certificate already applied, the complete series wil cost me about $40 so I'll take it. It was worth taking the risk, but I'm disappointed this time around, much like I was with the way they chose to end the series.

Lost looks awesome in 1080p and there's not a lot of great tv on blu, so again, I'm happy, but just barely when it could easily have been a grand-slam.
Old 05-28-10, 10:08 PM

Argh. Based on what TSOD listed, it doesn't appear any of the Best Buy/TV Guide bonus disc content will be included. Seems patently false to call something a 'Complete Collection' when it doesn't include the entire collected works of that show. Perhaps renaming it to 'Complete Series + lots more (but not everything)' will make me less pissy. I'm gonna get Disney on the horn.
Old 05-28-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by i86time
Argh. Based on what TSOD listed, it doesn't appear any of the Best Buy/TV Guide bonus disc content will be included. Seems patently false to call something a 'Complete Collection' when it doesn't include the entire collected works of that show. Perhaps renaming it to 'Complete Series + lots more (but not everything)' will make me less pissy. I'm gonna get Disney on the horn.
TV Guide had a bonus disc recently? Or are you talking about the one they had years ago...
Old 05-29-10, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
So, Lost ended up with a terrible looking set and a bunch of trinkets that I don't want. But had it have been better, I would be killing myself for not having sold earlier. Other than a few creative people taking advantage of someone who doesn't know better, I doubt you can get the $120 I got for 5 seasons now.
I blind bought S1-5 when Amazon had it on sale that day, with the intention of finally watching it,seeing what the fuss was, then selling off those sets and, if I liked the show, buying a complete set when it got released.
Well, turned out I loved those first 5 seasons, but was very disappointed in the last and the ultimate end.
I'm thankful now I didn't sell the sets off as I finished each season. That complete set looks as irrelevant to much of the series as the last season was.
Eventually I'll pick up the last season. Fortunately now I can bide my time until it hits about $25 or less- maybe by Q4 2011.
Old 05-29-10, 08:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

One, these 'complete' sets very rarely include stuff from retailer exclusives.

Two, I'd be more pissed if they did include those exclusives. When I buy something that says 'exclusive', I never want it to be released in any form ever again.
Old 05-29-10, 10:43 AM

Do any of the season sets include the webisodes from between S3 & S4? Or the text-commentary versions of episodes from S5 and S6? I haven't purchased any of these sets before, so I'm clueless and can't find detailed info on the extras.
Old 05-29-10, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
One, these 'complete' sets very rarely include stuff from retailer exclusives.
Yeah, but nothing is actually preventing Disney from doing so. Having only purchased S1 on DVD (and not from BB), I opted early on to wait for a certain complete series set. I don't even recall what was on the discs or how many of the BB (beyond S1&2) or TV Guide discs were done. However, there has to be something of interest on them. Oh well.

Two, I'd be more pissed if they did include those exclusives. When I buy something that says 'exclusive', I never want it to be released in any form ever again.
You have a post in the Freaks & Geeks Yearbook reissue thread which seem hypocritical to this. "...the more collectors the merrier."

Plus I'm purchasing the BD set, and as I recall the BB discs were only exclusive to the DVD release. See Alf's take on semantics.
Old 05-29-10, 11:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

You have a post in the Freaks & Geeks Yearbook reissue thread which seem hypocritical to this. "...the more collectors the merrier."
One, (insert lighthearted stalker comment here).

Two, ah, but that was because I missed it the first time.

Three, I can and often do argue all possible positions. I'll post the exact opposite of all this tomorrow.
Old 05-29-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
One, (insert lighthearted stalker comment here).

Two, ah, but that was because I missed it the first time.

Three, I can and often do argue all possible positions. I'll post the exact opposite of all this tomorrow.
Old 05-31-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Plus I'm purchasing the BD set, and as I recall the BB discs were only exclusive to the DVD release. See Alf's take on semantics.
The 5th Season BB bonus disc was available with both the DVD AND the BD releases.....

Remember though, the 1st and 2nd seasons were not even released on BD until last year, after the 3rd and 4th seasons were already out on BD and LONG after the DVD versions, so it's not like Best Buy's first two retailer exclusive discs were really "exclusive to the DVD release" so to speak (when it was the ONLY format available at that time).....BD wasn't even around when the 1st season was originally released, and BD had only just been released when the 2nd season was originally released....there was no retailer bonus disc for season 4, so technically the Walmart retailer exclusive disc for season 3 is really the only bonus disc you could make an argument about being "exclusive to the DVD release"....
Old 06-01-10, 07:04 AM

Does anyone know if all episodes on these blu-rays include an option to watch the enhanced versions (with pop-up box on bottom of the screen)?
Old 06-01-10, 07:15 AM

After the way the show concluded, I've lot all interest in the series. Horrible, horrible series ender.
Old 06-01-10, 07:40 AM

Absolutely loved the series finale and want this set even more now. Glad I pre-ordered and waited until now to upgrade to Blu-Ray, I really like the packaging.
Old 06-01-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoot95
Does anyone know if all episodes on these blu-rays include an option to watch the enhanced versions (with pop-up box on bottom of the screen)?
none of the blu-ray (or DVD) releases to date have this feature, so I doubt it'll be included.

the text wasn't even created by the writers, it was a 3rd party group.
Old 06-01-10, 10:41 AM

And some of the text in those were wrong or misleading -- I'd love to see some kind of text commentary, but I suspect that's going to be long-term fan project rather than something TPTB ever make, much like the rumored "chronological edit" that will re-edit the scenes of the entire show in chronological order.

Am I alone in being excited about the (probably very flimsy and cheap) senet set? I was actually looking on Amazon for a senet set, as I'd never played it (by either of the sets of rules that archaeologists theorized the game was played by).
Old 06-01-10, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crikey
And some of the text in those were wrong or misleading -- I'd love to see some kind of text commentary, but I suspect that's going to be long-term fan project rather than something TPTB ever make, much like the rumored "chronological edit" that will re-edit the scenes of the entire show in chronological order.
Man, I would love to see that once it's complete.
And, in a way, I'd like to see separate chronological-ordered storylines for each
character.
Am I alone in being excited about the (probably very flimsy and cheap) senet set? I was actually looking on Amazon for a senet set, as I'd never played it (by either of the sets of rules that archaeologists theorized the game was played by).
I know it's not exactly the same, but once I learned the name of the game, I found a site (Aww-I don't have enough posts to post a url yet) where you can play online.

I DO want the complete set, but I already have 1-3 on DVD, and 1-5 on Bluray(with 6 Bluray preordered on Amazon).