Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

YMMV - YMMV - Target $5 Blu-Ray coupon accepted at Best Buy stores -- YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 10:42 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YMMV - YMMV - Target $5 Blu-Ray coupon accepted at Best Buy stores -- YMMV

A BIG YMMV but I am posting anyway because all they can say is no.

I purchased all of the Disney Steelbooks today using these coupons and there was no problem.

They would not let me do it all in one transaction so I had to be rung up 10 different times but they said no problem with that.

Again this is a YMMV seeing as not all BB stores act the same but it is certainly worth a shot.

Greg
Old 12-08-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: YMMV - YMMV - Target $5 Blu-Ray coupon accepted at Best Buy stores -- YMMV

I seriously need to see more successful attempts before I even try this. They get too picky at my Best Buys usually.
Old 12-08-09, 11:25 AM

What I don't understand is why BB and other places force you to be rung up 10 different times like that. Is there something that actually impedes the cashier from ringing it all up at once? Can a manager override that?

BB would be wise to override it because if you paid via credit card, isn't BB is dinged 10 different times by the credit processing of 10 different transactions?
Old 12-08-09, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
What I don't understand is why BB and other places force you to be rung up 10 different times like that. Is there something that actually impedes the cashier from ringing it all up at once? Can a manager override that?

BB would be wise to override it because if you paid via credit card, isn't BB is dinged 10 different times by the credit processing of 10 different transactions?
Coupon states one per transaction.
Old 12-08-09, 11:40 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by melih69
Coupon states one per transaction.
Exactly. Had it not said that then it wouldn't have mattered I guess.

Surprised she was willing to do it in 10 transactions but she said no problem.

Also this was a Supervisor that did this not a regular register person. She was not a manager but she had "override" authority etc -- not that it actually mattered.

I do wish she had rung it all up at once as there was deal where you got a free $25 GC if you bought $150 worth of stuff in one transaction. Doubt I would have gotten the "double dip" but it would have made the deal a little sweeter.

Afterall I save $20 on the GCs from the Kroger deal, then used some RZ certs, and 10 of the $5 Target coupons.

Greg
Old 12-08-09, 11:42 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect

Typicall credit card fees are based on a TOTAL per month. Yes you are dinged for each transaction but it works out to the same $$ amount. The percentage the CC company gets is based on how much $$ you run through their service in a month. The more you run the lower the fee, the less you run the fees get upwards of 4% depending on who you are using. I am sure BB has a pretty solid deal with someone.

Greg
Old 12-08-09, 12:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GCS
The percentage the CC company gets is based on how much $$ you run through their service in a month. The more you run the lower the fee, the less you run the fees get upwards of 4% depending on who you are using. I am sure BB has a pretty solid deal with someone.

Greg
I own a retail shipping store and this is bogus. Each merchant has their own credit card agreement. I opted for a (higher) flat percentage and no swipe or monthly fees. Some stores opt for a monthly fee + swipe fee and very low percentage. I'm not aware of any credit card processor that varies their take based on the volume of a given month (not to say it isn't done; just I've never seen such a plan).

The Chinese restaurant next to me has a swipe fee, so they hate it whenever a large party splits up their bill (can easily cost them $2 or $3 in additional fees). As I said, I have a flat percentage, so when a college kid wanders in and buys a stamp and envelope, I'm only losing 3% (and cost of credit card paper).

And never assume a company gets a great deal from credit card processors. I thought gas stations made a killing off gas sales...until I read all those articles a year or so ago. Scary stuff how big business doesn't give a damn about the little guy (even when the little guy is working for big guys).

Peter
Old 12-08-09, 01:33 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to internet fight but I am an accountant and can pull at least 10 Merchant statements from clients from various types of business where this occurs (retail, to medical, to service based etc).

As you stated everyone's is different. I will agree that ALL of them have at least some FLAT monthly fee that they pay plus a transaction fee. The transaction fee does vary with the total amount of dollars processed for that given time period.

There is also a "minimum" fee the processor charges (usually $15 - $30) so even if we don't process a single transaction for the month we pay that fee regardless.

Originally Posted by Proglodite
II thought gas stations made a killing off gas sales...until I read all those articles a year or so ago. Scary stuff how big business doesn't give a damn about the little guy (even when the little guy is working for big guys).

Peter

This I can absolutely confirm. I have several clients in the fuel industry and the fees they pay are awful because they are FORCED to process the cards through the gas supplier. The Profit Margin on gas to the place "pumping" it is typically 1-2%. The only thing that helps them is VOLUME. They have to sell enough gas at a 2% PM to cover their overhead. Not all do and that is why they usually cannot compete when things like WaWa or Sheetz show up.

Greg

Last edited by GCS; 12-08-09 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is this YMMV?
Old 12-08-09, 06:04 PM

Fyi, if you spend over $150 in Best Buy, you get a $25 giftcard... not sure if you can do that if you try to use the target coupon though.
Old 12-08-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This would NEVER fly at my BestBuy store. They find any way out of pricematching anything, the cheap bastards.
Old 12-08-09, 10:44 PM

besides being shiny... what it the advantage of the steel books?
Old 12-08-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigfoot0968
besides being shiny... what it the advantage of the steel books?
There needs to be an advantage other than being shiny?
Old 12-09-09, 03:14 AM

went to best buy 2 employees told me that they do NOT accept coupons from other stores.
Old 12-09-09, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
And never assume a company gets a great deal from credit card processors.
You absolutely can assume they do get a great deal from credit card processors, and likely have at least two. A retailer that has $45B (that's Billion) in gross receipts... runs a lot of credit transactions. I am positive at the absolute very least they have a sweetheart deal with a processor. At just tiny fraction of those receipts you begin to seriously work on your entire credit processing solution... including minimizing your fees. When you have $100M+ of fees up for grabs, you'd be surprised what deals you can score.

Last edited by beebs; 12-09-09 at 03:50 AM.