Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon.com Discounts and Deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Amazon.com Discounts and Deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I hear the transfer of True Romance is one of the worst on Blu, plus it doesnt have any of the special features of the 2 disc director's cut DVD
Are these cheap BD's all new HD versions or are some rehash DVDs on new media?
Old 01-05-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why you have to do research and read reviews for each BD you are considering buying. I've put many titles back on the shelves after reading the reviews, saved me some money and keeps my blood pressure from going sky high from seeing piss-poor transfers and barebone BDs.
Old 01-05-10, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HockeyMan2000
The commentary and pertinent extras are on there...I think the only thing it was missing was a voodoo doc. Really excellent transfer too.
As long as the two things that really stand out are still there.

Re: Patman's comments, it really does pay to do the research. I try to read DVDTalk's reviewers, bluray.com reviews, Amazon customer reviews...anything that might sway me toward or away from a disc.

Of course, sometimes they contradict one another. For instance, The Water Horse. Some reviewers hated it and didn't have much good to say about the transfer, yet another reviewer considered it a modern classic with reference quality transfer...a "must buy", in his opinion. In that case, I decided to wait until I could actually watch the movie first. I don't do many blind-buys with BD anyway.

BTW...reading the reviews also helps the blood pressure issue when you might think something's wrong with your player when it's actually a problem with the disc. Case in point: Last night we began watching Lonesome Dove on BD & kept noticing dialogue dropping out (or being submerged under sound effects) and a really annoying background hiss during the opening scenes (evidently it was supposed to enhance the sound of the "wind" or something). After re-reading a review or two, I discovered that this problem isn't isolated to our player. Doesn't correct the problem but saves me the effort of trying to fix it by readjusting settings.

Last edited by creekdipper; 01-05-10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bad Blu-ray transfer is still better than a good DVD transfer.
Old 01-05-10, 07:40 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super Troopers is $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00193F30E
Old 01-05-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Force 10 From Navarone $10.49
Dreamgirls $10.99
Planet of the Apes (Marky Mark, no funky bunch included) $10.99
Old 01-05-10, 10:18 PM
Banned

Cast Away $9.99

Last edited by junglalien; 01-05-10 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Murmur
Right now Amazon is offering a 3 month trial of Prime for no charge. Free 2 day shipping without the $25 minimum. But then again, this may make you spend more when it seems so easy.
What is involved with signing up for that? More importantly, what is involved with quitting that? Do they charge a monthly fee after 3 months, even if you order nothing?
Old 01-05-10, 11:12 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
What is involved with signing up for that? More importantly, what is involved with quitting that? Do they charge a monthly fee after 3 months, even if you order nothing?
Nope. When you sign up for it (instructions are somewhere in this thread), you have the option to not renew once the three months expire. It is just a small box you check when signing up, and is pretty hard to miss. From my understanding, you are only charged a $1 for some sort of pre-authorization (per my bank statement), but if you take advantage of the deal, that is a minimal fee.
Old 01-06-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
This is why you have to do research and read reviews for each BD you are considering buying. I've put many titles back on the shelves after reading the reviews, saved me some money and keeps my blood pressure from going sky high from seeing piss-poor transfers and barebone BDs.
Absolutely.

I do very careful research before I "upgrade" an existing DVD. I'm a bit more lenient when it comes to something that I don't already have, but unless the transfer for something like "True Romance" is outstanding, I'll pass even if it is cheap.

Though I sort of regret not picking up The Terminator for $5 with the Target coupon; but it just seems like there's going to be a better BR version eventually and I don't want to bother getting something that is only has a marginally better transfer than the DVD and is stripped of bonus content.
Old 01-06-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
includes the Monkey Bunch, though.
Old 01-06-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
includes the Monkey Bunch, though.

I'd groan but I deserved it since I started it. LOL.
Old 01-06-10, 07:55 AM

Just make sure to check "not to automatically renew" - don't put it off. I had a month trial back in November and about 30 days later decided to check my account and noticed that my prime membership was going to expire on the following day - I almost forgot to have it canceled.

Originally Posted by kk101
Nope. When you sign up for it (instructions are somewhere in this thread), you have the option to not renew once the three months expire. It is just a small box you check when signing up, and is pretty hard to miss. From my understanding, you are only charged a $1 for some sort of pre-authorization (per my bank statement), but if you take advantage of the deal, that is a minimal fee.
Old 01-06-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
RATS! Fox still not carrying over all the special features from their previous DVDs...
Do you think there will be a double dip on this for a Funky Bunch filled edition?
Old 01-06-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Absolutely.
I do very careful research before I "upgrade" an existing DVD.
I typically whip out my phone and look up reviews before I buy a BD, right there in the store. I love having portable internet... I even check dvdtalk on my phone if I'm away from a computer for more than a few hours...
Old 01-06-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
RATS! Fox still not carrying over all the special features from their previous DVDs...
[B]Do you think there will be a double dip on this for a Funky Bunch filled edition?[B]
And THAT one rates a double rimshot.

Normally I would refrain from getting involved in any conversations that involve the phrases "funky bunch" and "double dip" but in the dvdtalk forum world it's not as bad as it sounds. LOL.
Old 01-06-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Murmur
Just make sure to check "not to automatically renew" - don't put it off. I had a month trial back in November and about 30 days later decided to check my account and noticed that my prime membership was going to expire on the following day - I almost forgot to have it canceled.
Yeah, they got me. I don't see how I have any recourse, I could try to dispute the charge with my credit card I guess....
Old 01-07-10, 06:11 AM
Banned

Dead Calm $9.49
Old 01-07-10, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
Yeah, they got me. I don't see how I have any recourse, I could try to dispute the charge with my credit card I guess....
Also, be sure to cancel at least one day before your membership expires. For some reason, I didn't select the option for it not to automatically renew. Instead, I waited until the day it was set to expire to cancel. I was surprised to see that they had gone ahead & renewed for me. Thankfully, there was a disclaimer saying that I could cancel if I hadn't ordered anything since the renewal (and the cancellation went through just fine). Still, it seemed like a sneaky trick to me. I always thought that a "free" membership ran until the end of the expiration date and that any renewal would begin the next day (rather than there being an overlap).
Old 01-07-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
under siege 1/2 - 7.49
point of no return - 7.49
terminator 3 - 7.49
omega man - 7.49
wicker man - 7.49
The Wild Bunch - $7.49
2010 - $9.99
Swordfish - $7.49
Blazing Saddles - $7.49
a time to kill - 7.49
Blazing Saddles is now 10.49, and the rest are all 9.99 now.

Some other titles went up as well. Dog Soldiers is now 11.49 and Reservoir Dogs is 11.99, and probably more...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 01-07-10 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 10:42 AM
Banned

Over the Top $9.49
Old 01-07-10, 01:33 PM

People keep listing Terminator 3 on this forum. Doesn't everyone know it has an encoding problem (only shows 1080p during commentary track) and isn't really worth getting at any price?
Old 01-07-10, 02:08 PM

I didn't know about the Terminator 3 encoding problem. I thought it was only that it had sub-par audio. Anyway, I'm glad I returned Terminator and Terminator 3 to Target even though I had bought it for $5 each and plan to wait till a better version comes out on Blu.
Old 01-07-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure the T3 problem was fixed awhile back after the first pressings
Old 01-07-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by masetodd
People keep listing Terminator 3 on this forum. Doesn't everyone know it has an encoding problem (only shows 1080p during commentary track) and isn't really worth getting at any price?
I have it on HD-DVD, and will probably stick with that. But yes, Warner Home Video has confirmed that due to an apparent production error, the video on early pressings of this Blu-ray were encoded at 1080i (not 1080p as labeled on the box art). Warner does have a replacement program if you get a bad 1080i version. See related story for replacement program info if you opened yours and discovered it is 1080i: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1293

Like mattysemo stated, only the first few pressings were affected, and it was re-released with corrected 1080p video. There is a way to tell which one it is before purchasing or opening it. They have different UPC codes. The code for the 1080i version is 085391186304. The code for the newer 1080p version is 883929016938.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 01-07-10 at 02:27 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.