Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 10:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Also, I finally watched Jaws and the original Night of the Living Dead for the first time;
Woah! Really? I envy those first time viewings.
Originally Posted by clckworang
Of course there's always The Hills Have Eyes or its remake. I watched Splice earlier this month and enjoyed it. And that's about all the mutant films I can even come up with at that moment, the ones I planned on watching and the one I watched. It's getting toward the end of the month, and I'm already so focused on my schedule of movies for the remaining days that I can hardly think outside of that box anymore. Oh, the joys of October.

Edit to add: D'oh! And I notice my frazzled brain took so long to even form that message that you already made your decision. At least I can fully support your choice. Seth recommended The Brood earlier as well. Both great movies. Can't go wrong with Cronenberg.
Thanks for the input! In grabbing Mimic I noticed Splice right there and grabbed it as well. Been meaning to watch it since it's release. And yes, Cronenberg is almost always gold.
Originally Posted by Chad
and catch a first time viewing of Humanoids from the Deep.
More envy.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-24-11 at 10:49 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-24-11, 10:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by JOE29
Yes, If i do decide to pick this up it would be the bluray. I'll have to check on how much it would be. But i'm sure at some time i would get it.

Just ordered the bluray for $5 used. I hope it will get here for the challenge, but i'm not sure.
the bluray is down to 5.99 over at Amazon.

Originally Posted by Trevor

You mean besides the 1996 one?
oh! who knew? things you learn every day. thanks!
Old 10-24-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giles
oh! who knew? things you learn every day. thanks!
Corman remade several of his films for Showtime TV in the mid-90's. I'm not too keen on tracking them down, even for curiosities sake, as they're supposed to be pretty wretched.
Old 10-24-11, 11:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool, I'm glad they help at least two of us!

But since I post so often, I kind of figured that some people hate seeing my long signature so often, and figured I'd turn every other one or so off.

More than two of you, Trevor! I've been using your links myself. Very handy to have, thanks for posting them in your sig!
Old 10-24-11, 11:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I watched the original The Fly today with Vincent Price and David Hedison. Hadn't seen it since I was a kid. It waw a fairly decent mutant movie. Didn't scare me as much as when I was a kid, but it's classic. Didn't realize that Vincent Price was in it.
Old 10-24-11, 11:44 PM
Banned

Other movies similar to The Hills Have Eyes would be one out of the Wrong Turn franchise. Not the greatest movies but worth a watch if you haven't already.
Old 10-25-11, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Woah! Really? I envy those first time viewings.
Yeah, this month has been a real experience for me. I'm slowly desensitizing myself to violence and learning to enjoy being frightened by movies. The sad thing is that I act like a little kid when things get intense - yelling things at the screen, clutching pillows, getting overly emotional. It's a little embarrassing. However, I'm thankful I watched both films; they were so incredible that I immediately wanted to watch them again. The copy of Night of the Living Dead that I own is in a AMC set that I got for $3 at Big Lots, so I'm going to have to get a copy with some sort of bonus features. It was truly terrifying to me!
Old 10-25-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Yeah, this month has been a real experience for me. I'm slowly desensitizing myself to violence and learning to enjoy being frightened by movies. The sad thing is that I act like a little kid when things get intense - yelling things at the screen, clutching pillows, getting overly emotional. It's a little embarrassing. However, I'm thankful I watched both films; they were so incredible that I immediately wanted to watch them again. The copy of Night of the Living Dead that I own is in a AMC set that I got for $3 at Big Lots, so I'm going to have to get a copy with some sort of bonus features. It was truly terrifying to me!
Yeah, I'm also doing a lot of first viewing for old time movies and classics. Sadly, my intake is so over the top that nothing gets to me anymore. I might have to not watch horror for quite a few months to get the scare back in me.

I know Scream got a Blu-Ray release. Are those discs, like the special features, any different than that four disc set that the DVD came out in? Do I need to get both to get everything?
Old 10-25-11, 02:06 AM
Banned

I officially exceeded last year's total [40] tonight... Still eight away from reaching my personal goal though. No way will I make it to 100 -- maybe next year if this DVD Talk tradition continues.
Old 10-25-11, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Although generally helpful I began to question the buried.com subgenre listings on the discovery of Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) under "splatter" films.
Old 10-25-11, 03:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched Zombie Strippers tonight for the first time. It was actually pretty amusing and entertaining for what it was. I was expecting a boring badly made film that strains to be 'funny' and falls flat, so imagine my surprise when it was better than expected.

The only area the film falls flat is the already really dated Bush bashing humor, such as in the opening news cap setting up a nightmarish world where Bush reigns supreme, which is similar to the beginning of Southland Tales which I watched last month(and that film is pretty damn boring in my opinion). The only references to Bush that was amusing was when one of the military dudes says after completing an assignment, "Mission accomplished sir" and the leader says "Now where have I heard that before?". That was more witty than the more in your face obvious news cap shown at the starting, and I did laugh at that line. Political humor can be tricky, and I think the filmmaker failed royally with the news cap at the beginning which strains to hard to be outrageous, yet seems so forced and obvious rather than being clever. So once you get past the cringe worthy news cap at the opening, the films pretty amusing and entertaining.

And I happened to have seen the R version, and if anyone is worried, no need to be. Since it's filled with nudity and gore throughout, that I doubt much of anything was cut. The film becomes pretty over the top as it goes along, and the final half really had some gross out gags and such. Robert Englunds fate is quite nasty, but hilarious. And then the bit with the
Spoiler:
ping pong balls is laugh out loud twisted over the top craziness with two jealous undead strippers battling it out to the bitter end.

So the film gets a from me, and I'd probably give it *** out of **** for delivering the entertainment goods.
Old 10-25-11, 03:39 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Caught the first two It's Alive movies for mutant theme day; they're both well constructed and suspenseful. I liked them much better than I expected too.

Today's subset film, Theater of Blood, is essential.
Old 10-25-11, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shellebelle
More than two of you, Trevor! I've been using your links myself. Very handy to have, thanks for posting them in your sig!
I think the general consensus is that you should just use your full signature all the time now, Trevor.

I spent yesterday delving into low-budget horror. I found two duds ("The Chambermaid" and "Harvest of Fear"), but I also got to see five movies I actually really liked ("Uninvited", "Demonic," "Hallowed," "A Brush with Death," and "Angst,") so it was worth it for me.

Last edited by edwardnortonfan; 10-25-11 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-25-11, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I watched Zombie Strippers tonight for the first time. It was actually pretty amusing and entertaining for what it was. I was expecting a boring badly made film that strains to be 'funny' and falls flat, so imagine my surprise when it was better than expected.
I enjoyed that one more than I was expecting to. I actually watched it on Easter Sunday a couple of years back. About 5 minutes into it, my wife got up to go to the restroom. I asked her if she wanted me to pause it so she wouldn't miss anything. She told me not to. Roughly 45 minutes later, she came back into the room and sat back down in her recliner without missing a beat. I still laugh my ass off thinking about how she would have rather spent 45 minutes in the bathroom than watching this particular title.
Old 10-25-11, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I enjoyed that one more than I was expecting to. I actually watched it on Easter Sunday a couple of years back. About 5 minutes into it, my wife got up to go to the restroom. I asked her if she wanted me to pause it so she wouldn't miss anything. She told me not to. Roughly 45 minutes later, she came back into the room and sat back down in her recliner without missing a beat. I still laugh my ass off thinking about how she would have rather spent 45 minutes in the bathroom than watching this particular title.
I tried to pull that with "2001 Maniacs." I went to the bathroom for an inordinate amount of time, like half an hour, and told them not to pause the movie, but they did anyway, so I ended up having to watch it anyway.
Old 10-25-11, 06:59 AM

^^ I try to watch a zombie film every Easter in honor of the first one.
Old 10-25-11, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this line made me laugh. maybe I should do the same.
Old 10-25-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Zombie Jesus loves you!

You can actually "friend" Zombie Jesus on Facebook.
Old 10-25-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Anyone know of a Sergio Martino -or- Riccardo Freda flick streaming online?
Old 10-25-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Actually, if you wanted to get all biblical technical, Lazerus was the first. But Zombie Jesus sounds so much better
Old 10-25-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Actually, if you wanted to get all biblical technical, Lazerus was the first. But Zombie Jesus sounds so much better
If it's good enough for Professor Farnsworth...
Spoiler:
Old 10-25-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

We just opened a new thread yesterday and we're already on page 3. We're talking a lot in this years challenge.
Old 10-25-11, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Anyone know of a Sergio Martino -or- Riccardo Freda flick streaming online?
The Ghost is on YouTube iirc. Has Barbara Steele too.
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Good point. I think Elijah raised someone back in the OT too.
Old 10-25-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
We just opened a new thread yesterday and we're already on page 3. We're talking a lot in this years challenge.
might just be bad memory but it seems to be alot less people abandoning theyre list too.

ill be putting on my 99th film and everyone at my job wants to watch a movie tonight trying to figure out what i wanna watch.

i hate when people ask me for a horror movie suggestion thats scary...I don get scared from watching these movies I watch them for other reasons. im tired of telling people to watch trick 'r treat or The Gate and hem to come back complaining "ahh that sucked it wasnt scary at all"
Old 10-25-11, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
At least we're not fighting! I may or may not have participated in some serious horror movie thread smackdowns in the past horror challenges that may or may not have gotten me temporarily suspended from posting in the discussion thread.

This year has been all about the fun discussion and no one picking fights or name-calling or ruining the challenge for everyone else, and it's been really awesome just chilling and discussing with people in the thread this year, so thanks, everyone. I feel less alone in my morbid/freaky film fanaticism when I see other people who are just as into these movies as I am.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.