Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody hear the new Sparta yet?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It comes out next tuesday. Just wondering if anyone out there had heard a promo of it or anything. I really liked their first album, and was a big fan of At The Drive In.
Old 07-19-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump - This came out last Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone picked it up.
Old 07-19-04, 03:16 PM

Eh, I heard a copy, only heard it once so I can't really give a great review though. Seemed pretty much the same as their last one, nothing great but acceptable.
Old 06-28-07, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I bought their new album - Threes. I honestly can't remember why. I think I heard something on Sirius that made me write down the name. Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised by the album. There are a few tracks that don't really do anything for me, but overall I am enjoying it.

I don't have any of their previous work so I can't compare.
Old 06-28-07, 08:23 AM

Wow. The thread title had me really confused as I hadn't heard anything about a new Sparta album. Then I saw the date of the original post and it all makes way more sense.

I think Threes is OK. I had some higher hopes for this album after Keeley Davis joined the band. I'm a big fan of his work with Engine Down so I was hoping he'd help take Sparta into a more diverse direction. Alas it's pretty much more of the same - not bad, not great, just there and worthy of a listen every so often. I did see them play a week or so ago and they were quite good.
Old 06-28-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
They are a one album wonder for me. Wiretap Scars is still fantastic IMO. But both Porcelain & Threes were DOA...Mars Volta on the other hand.....
Old 06-29-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Wiretap their best album but I also thought Threes was pretty good. Porcelain was plain bad though.
Old 07-01-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree that Wiretap Scars was the better album, but Porcelain contains the magnificent "While Oceana Sleeps". It pops up on mix CDs I make for friends every now and then.
Old 07-02-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. "While Oceana Sleeps" is an amazing song. I love Porcelain, and think Threes is very solid. I dont have Wiretap but after the reviews I will definitely pick it up.
Old 07-02-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
This is madness...
Old 07-03-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gmal2003
Agreed. "While Oceana Sleeps" is an amazing song. I love Porcelain, and think Threes is very solid. I dont have Wiretap but after the reviews I will definitely pick it up.
It's hard for me to pick a favorite between the first two. I bought Threes, but in all honesty hardly listened to it. My musical tastes run very deep, and I set that on the backburner. Now I feel like it's time for me to bust it out again...

I really do dig Wiretap Scars, though, just to be fair. The standout tracks, to me, are "Glasshouse Tarot", "Red Alibi", and "Air".