Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Guitarist in the World: Eric or Eddie?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Best Well-Known Living Guitarist in the Western World?
Eddie Van Halen
3.85%
Eric Clapton
11.54%
Someone else? [Please name him/her]
76.92%
Unanswerable question [Please say why?]
7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 110 Posts

A friend of mine and I were having a conversation last night about guitarists. He thinks Eric Clapton is the best guitarist in the world, as far as rock guitarists go. I think it's Eddie Van Halen.

I thought I'd put it to a vote.
Old 02-15-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill Nelson
Old 02-15-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-15-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 229 Likes on 144 Posts
They're "Best" in their respective categories. I say that knowing many will come in jumping on the Claption bandwagon simply because he's been playing for 200 years and it's the thing to do.

Frankly, although I like stuff from both of them they're also both boring as hell when compared to some other artists out there.
Old 02-15-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I vote the Music Forum.
Old 02-15-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Eddie VH is one of 2 guitarists in the history of rock that I think changed the way rock guitar is played. The other is Hendrix. Obviously many others have made contributions, but those 2 stand out above the rest. That's not to say anything of their talent vs. others, but as far as influence goes no one else is close in my book.
Old 02-15-06, 11:53 AM

I don't know. Neither do it for me. I find Clapton boring and uninspiring. And though EVH's tapping was a trend setter, it got old fast.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited by SeekOnce; 02-15-06 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-15-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
I don't know. Either do it for me. I find Clapton boring and uninspiring. And though EVH's tapping was a trend setter, it got old fast.

I agree, although I'd gladly take EVH any day. I'd still rather have Randy Rhoads or Kirk Hammett than either (or both).
Old 02-15-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about you put it to a poll?
Old 02-15-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric Idle and Eddie Murphy are the greatest guitarists of all time.
Old 02-15-06, 12:51 PM

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Nigel Tufnel and David St. Hubbins are the greatest guitarists of all time.
Fixed.
Old 02-15-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Out of the two I'd say Clapton.
Old 02-15-06, 12:57 PM

You can't compare those two. They're two completley different guitarists.

Anyway, Vai is better then both.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd probably agree if I wasn't so heavily sedated.

As for Clapton, I have never understood the appeal. His basically ripped off his style from old bluesmen, whil EVH created his own signature style.
DVD Talk Hero

I never understood the Eddie love. I mean, Van Halen is like unbearable to listen to.
Old 02-15-06, 01:11 PM

Eric or Eddie? Between the two I say Eddie. If you make this a poll, you should include other greats like the above mentioned Tony Iommi and Joe Satriani. I also suggest including Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Brian May, and even Yngwie "J" Malmsteen.
Old 02-15-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Brian May
Old 02-15-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-15-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Steve Morse.
Old 02-15-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
he doesn't play so well anymore...
Old 02-15-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are different degrees of best. Neither is close although Eddie is certainly a better guitarist than Clapton (songwriter it goes the other way). Besides, Stevie Ray Vaughan gets my vote for greatest guitarist of all time.

If you want to know who's the best at playing their instrument while still sounding musical (I'm looking at you Great Kat), then your choices probably boil down to Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. Malmsteen was around first, is less "out-there" and was a major influence on Vai so he gets the nod from me. Close behind those two are your Satrianis, Gilberts, Johnsons, Petruccis etc.. All technically (and usually musically) great guitarists, in varied genres.

Of course people will argue that flair just masks poor song writing and will want to mention the di Meolas et al of the classical world. Plus you have your Blues, your 70s rock Gods and all the other genres in which you could reasonably debate greatest guitarist of all time honors.

You really can't knock SRV in any aspect though. He can play a million miles an hour and make it sound just as soulful as when he hits one note and just shakes the hell out of it. If his cover of "Little Wing" doesn't move you, you have no business playing the damn instrument.
Old 02-15-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
There are different degrees of best. Neither is close although Eddie is certainly a better guitarist than Clapton (songwriter it goes the other way). Besides, Stevie Ray Vaughan gets my vote for greatest guitarist of all time.

If you want to know who's the best at playing their instrument while still sounding musical (I'm looking at you Great Kat), then your choices probably boil down to Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. Malmsteen was around first, is less "out-there" and was a major influence on Vai so he gets the nod from me. Close behind those two are your Satrianis, Gilberts, Johnsons, Petruccis etc.. All technically (and usually musically) great guitarists, in varied genres.

Of course people will argue that flair just masks poor song writing and will want to mention the di Meolas et al of the classical world. Plus you have your Blues, your 70s rock Gods and all the other genres in which you could reasonably debate greatest guitarist of all time honors.

You really can't knock SRV in any aspect though. He can play a million miles an hour and make it sound just as soulful as when he hits one note and just shakes the hell out of it. If his cover of "Little Wing" doesn't move you, you have no business playing the damn instrument.

I agree with you for the most part, except the bit about SRV playing a million miles an hour.
He's a great great guitarist but was not known for his 'speed'. Listen to Paul Gilbert, Buckethead, George Bellas, Todd Duane et al for the 'million miles an hour guys'.
Also I don't think Vai was inspired by Malmsteen as they sound nothing alike.
Malmsteen inspired guys like Tony Macalpine and Vinnie Moore as well as many other neo-classical shredders.
Old 02-15-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jimi.

End of discussion.
Old 02-15-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eric.....but Eric Johnson.

Of the two? I'd say Clapton. Eddie was very innovative, but I don't remember him being able to make his guitar weep like Clapton. Course I never heard Clapton do the hammer on technique either. Hmmm...
Old 02-15-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred

I agree with you for the most part, except the bit about SRV playing a million miles an hour.
He was a great great guitarist but was not known for his 'speed'. Listen to Paul Gilbert, Buckethead, George Bellas, Todd Duane et al for the 'million miles an hour guys'.
Also I don't think Vai was inspired by Malmsteen as they sound nothing alike.
Malmsteen inspired guys like Tony Macalpine and Vinnie Moore as well as many other neo-classical shredders.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.