DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Anybody hear the new Sparta yet? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/373201-anybody-hear-new-sparta-yet.html)

Kaiser Soze 07-05-04 01:28 PM

Anybody hear the new Sparta yet?

It comes out next tuesday. Just wondering if anyone out there had heard a promo of it or anything. I really liked their first album, and was a big fan of At The Drive In.

Obey The D 07-19-04 03:24 PM

Bump - This came out last Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone picked it up.

Absolut 07-19-04 04:16 PM

Eh, I heard a copy, only heard it once so I can't really give a great review though. Seemed pretty much the same as their last one, nothing great but acceptable.

Superman07 06-28-07 08:17 AM

I bought their new album - Threes. I honestly can't remember why. I think I heard something on Sirius that made me write down the name. Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised by the album. There are a few tracks that don't really do anything for me, but overall I am enjoying it.

I don't have any of their previous work so I can't compare.

mparysz 06-28-07 09:23 AM

Wow. The thread title had me really confused as I hadn't heard anything about a new Sparta album. Then I saw the date of the original post and it all makes way more sense.

I think Threes is OK. I had some higher hopes for this album after Keeley Davis joined the band. I'm a big fan of his work with Engine Down so I was hoping he'd help take Sparta into a more diverse direction. Alas it's pretty much more of the same - not bad, not great, just there and worthy of a listen every so often. I did see them play a week or so ago and they were quite good.

starseed1981 06-28-07 09:31 AM

They are a one album wonder for me. Wiretap Scars is still fantastic IMO. But both Porcelain & Threes were DOA...Mars Volta on the other hand.....

Thrush 06-29-07 02:34 AM

I think Wiretap their best album but I also thought Threes was pretty good. Porcelain was plain bad though.

SlingshotBandit 07-01-07 04:17 PM

I agree that Wiretap Scars was the better album, but Porcelain contains the magnificent "While Oceana Sleeps". It pops up on mix CDs I make for friends every now and then.

gmal2003 07-02-07 03:24 PM

Agreed. "While Oceana Sleeps" is an amazing song. I love Porcelain, and think Threes is very solid. I dont have Wiretap but after the reviews I will definitely pick it up.

Jason 07-02-07 10:35 PM

This is madness...

SlingshotBandit 07-03-07 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by gmal2003
Agreed. "While Oceana Sleeps" is an amazing song. I love Porcelain, and think Threes is very solid. I dont have Wiretap but after the reviews I will definitely pick it up.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite between the first two. I bought Threes, but in all honesty hardly listened to it. My musical tastes run very deep, and I set that on the backburner. Now I feel like it's time for me to bust it out again...

I really do dig Wiretap Scars, though, just to be fair. The standout tracks, to me, are "Glasshouse Tarot", "Red Alibi", and "Air".