Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Dig Rooney's Album?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Just picked this up at BB's $7.99 sale. Great album. Sounds like Weezer (who I really dig). Anyone else grooving to these guys?
Old 01-19-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Yeah, I picked it up last summer and I pretty much enjoy the whole thing. Saw them live a couple of months ago, too, and they performed admirably.
Old 01-19-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've had it since last summer, as well, and have been enjoying it. Great summertime record. Good move pricing it so low, too.
Old 01-19-04, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are okay..they remind me of the 70's....I saw them live on TV and they were playing their instruments well..

Sounds very milkshakey and surfer boyish sometimes though
Old 01-19-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I equate them to Weezer, who I really dig. Kind of like a cross between Pet Sounds and Modern Punk/Emo. Very cool. If you like the Strokes, you should definitive check these guys out.
Old 01-20-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw them live. Liked them. Picked up the album. Didn't like it.

Don't think it sounds anything like Weezer! More like a watered down Beatles.
Old 01-20-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nodeer, are you familiar with Weezer's non-radio songs? Like Holiday off Blue and alot off Green and Maladriot? Very Rooney-ish.
Old 01-22-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw them on OC a few weeks back. I've never watched that show but it was on in the background. Half the episode was devoted to them and I liked the songs quite a bit. I bought the disc the other day and like it so far. I've only heard it twice so far.
Old 01-22-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by wfujosh
Nodeer, are you familiar with Weezer's non-radio songs? Like Holiday off Blue and alot off Green and Maladriot? Very Rooney-ish.
I don't really see it. Weezer plays a very crunchy brand of power-pop...loud, tuned-down, heavily-distorted guitars. I hear moments of Weezer in Rooney -- the opening of "If It Were Up To Me", for instance -- but in general, not any more than any other sunny rock-pop band in their sound as a whole.
Old 01-22-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
I don't really see it. Weezer plays a very crunchy brand of power-pop...loud, tuned-down, heavily-distorted guitars. I hear moments of Weezer in Rooney -- the opening of "If It Were Up To Me", for instance -- but in general, not any more than any other power-pop band in their sound as a whole.
I'm pretty sure I know what Weezer sounds like...we obviously disagree. Sometimes I wonder if people have ever heard anything beyond ST (blue).
Old 01-22-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by wfujosh
I'm pretty sure I know what Weezer sounds like...we obviously disagree. Sometimes I wonder if people have ever heard anything beyond ST (blue).
The only reason I described Weezer's sound is because I don't hear that in Rooney.

I own the first three albums and 'The Lion and the Witch' EP, I've listened to the first two incessantly, and I hear very little in common with Rooney. Sorry we don't agree.
Old 01-22-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Adam, if people didn't disagree about music, sports and politics, we'd have nothing to talk about It's cool bro!
Old 01-24-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't hear the similarities when I first heard "Blueside" and read about how the singer sounded like Rivers Cuomo [lead singer of Weezer]. But then I heard some of the other songs when I bought the CD and the singer definitely sounds a lot like Rivers on a lot of the songs, some more than others. So much so that once when I was playing the Rooney CD, my girlfreind asked if it was a Weezer song she'd never heard. But, other than the vocals, they aren't all that similar. I tend to hear The Beach Boys (duh) in "Blueside" and disposable pop in the rest. But, regardless, I still dig it.

K