Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

where's steve perry of journey now??

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any idea when he's coming out with a new album? he has the best voice of all suited for ballads and rock numbers. the last song i heard from him was from that quest of camelot soundtrack with the song "I Stand Alone". excellent number.
Old 01-21-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jokingly I was going to say working as a music clerk at a Best Buy in Chicago, but since you're being serious I have no idea what he is up to. I am wondering if he will tour for his cd, since that is what got him canned from Journey.
Old 01-21-04, 10:20 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Looks like he's contributing a song to the soundtrack of the movie Monster (starring Charlize Theron).
Old 01-21-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I saw the Journey Behind the Music special on vh1 a while back, but I don't remember the conclusion...
Old 01-22-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
I saw the Journey Behind the Music special on vh1 a while back, but I don't remember the conclusion...
The conclusion was basically that the rest of the band think he's a whiny little runt who falsely claimed that he was too ill to do a tour. It's highly unlikely he'll ever record with them again. I think we'll survive.
Old 01-22-04, 09:59 AM

conclusion was basically that the rest of the band think he's a whiny little runt who falsely claimed that he was too ill to do a tour
Wasn't that the story with Dennis DeYoung and Styx? DeYoung claimed he had developed some kind of bad sensitivity to stage lighting? I thought the deal with Journey and Perry was that Perry needed hip replacement surgery or something along those lines, and the band didn't want to wait the several months for him to recuperate, so they found a guy who sounds exactly the same as Perry and dumped him.
Old 01-22-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Im sorry..i still think Journey was the best before he came along. I have the first 3 albums but after he came along I stopped listening..I never was fond of his singing nor the pop direction the group took although I could see why they did..made a whole lot more money ..
Dont understand why Greg Rolie's vocals were not good enough for Journey..They were good enough for Santana
Old 01-22-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Shiv Shankly
Wasn't that the story with Dennis DeYoung and Styx? DeYoung claimed he had developed some kind of bad sensitivity to stage lighting? I thought the deal with Journey and Perry was that Perry needed hip replacement surgery or something along those lines, and the band didn't want to wait the several months for him to recuperate, so they found a guy who sounds exactly the same as Perry and dumped him.
Yeah the stories have similar elements in them that sometimes I confuse the two as well. Anyway, as I understood it, it's not that he wanted them to wait for him to recuperate after the hip replacement thing. It's that he didn't know *if* he wanted to do it at all at the time cuz it was a "very personal decision" and for the band, it was no question since they were on the "up-swing" and wanted to capitalize on their renewed popularity with the Grammy nomination(or was it win?). I think it's kinda sad cuz he *did* get the surgery anyway so it's like, why couldn't he have done it at the more advantageous time?
Old 01-22-04, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Isnt he defending earth from Space Spiders by firing lasers from his snare drum?

Oh - wait. That's the other guy.
Old 01-22-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today is Steve Perry's 55th b-day. Here is a message from him.

http://www.fanasylum.com/steveperry/index.html

Well, here we are again. The yearly ritual known as the "BIRTHDAY." Oh my…....I can't believe it, "39" ...... AGAIN.......!! All kidding aside, I'd like to thank all the fans who have continued to be so faithful for all these years. So much has changed, in all our lives.

I would like to thank you for all the donations that were made this year on my behalf. They're all great causes ~ thank you. I was told by Lora of the many birthday messages posted on various fan sites. Thanks to all of you for your messages.

Lastly, I was so surprised when I opened the paper and saw your birthday message in the San Diego Union Tribune. When I read, "In a rousing chorus we all shall sing, happy birthday," for a moment I could hear you all. I really loved it...........thank you so much!

All the very best to you and yours,

Steve Perry
Jan 22, 2004
Old 01-23-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I just need to use this thread as another LOL opportunity to remind everyone that American Idol's Randy Jackson was once a member of Journey

http://www.jrnydv.com/Sections/Band/Journey/jackson.htm
Old 01-23-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
I just need to use this thread as another LOL opportunity to remind everyone that American Idol's Randy Jackson was once a member of Journey
Hot damn! I was always wondering who that dude was. Did he look out of place or what? Not just the fact that he was black in a white rock group but his hairdo and outfits were wacky even for the 80's.
Old 01-24-04, 02:19 PM

From what I understand he was a debilatating(sp?) form of arthritis...
There are days he cant even get out of bed..
Thats supposedly the reason why he isnt out on the road and just does studio work.
If he did want to tour he would more or less have to stay in one place most of the time and couldnt handle the rigor of travel.

This is something I heard a few years back...
Old 01-25-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
He's on a midnight train...
Old 01-25-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

somewhere in South Detroit? or something?