DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Anyone Else Dig Rooney's Album? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/342112-anyone-else-dig-rooneys-album.html)

DVD Josh 01-19-04 10:44 AM

Anyone Else Dig Rooney's Album?

Just picked this up at BB's $7.99 sale. Great album. Sounds like Weezer (who I really dig). Anyone else grooving to these guys?

B.A. 01-19-04 11:38 AM

Yeah, I picked it up last summer and I pretty much enjoy the whole thing. Saw them live a couple of months ago, too, and they performed admirably.

DJLinus 01-19-04 11:47 AM

I've had it since last summer, as well, and have been enjoying it. Great summertime record. Good move pricing it so low, too.

sararekuforever 01-19-04 03:31 PM

They are okay..they remind me of the 70's....I saw them live on TV and they were playing their instruments well..

Sounds very milkshakey and surfer boyish sometimes though

DVD Josh 01-19-04 06:00 PM

I equate them to Weezer, who I really dig. Kind of like a cross between Pet Sounds and Modern Punk/Emo. Very cool. If you like the Strokes, you should definitive check these guys out.

nodeerforamonth 01-20-04 05:33 PM

Saw them live. Liked them. Picked up the album. Didn't like it.

Don't think it sounds anything like Weezer! More like a watered down Beatles.

DVD Josh 01-20-04 06:23 PM

Nodeer, are you familiar with Weezer's non-radio songs? Like Holiday off Blue and alot off Green and Maladriot? Very Rooney-ish.

Buford T Pusser 01-22-04 06:40 PM

I saw them on OC a few weeks back. I've never watched that show but it was on in the background. Half the episode was devoted to them and I liked the songs quite a bit. I bought the disc the other day and like it so far. I've only heard it twice so far.

Adam Tyner 01-22-04 07:00 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Nodeer, are you familiar with Weezer's non-radio songs? Like Holiday off Blue and alot off Green and Maladriot? Very Rooney-ish.
I don't really see it. Weezer plays a very crunchy brand of power-pop...loud, tuned-down, heavily-distorted guitars. I hear moments of Weezer in Rooney -- the opening of "If It Were Up To Me", for instance -- but in general, not any more than any other sunny rock-pop band in their sound as a whole.

DVD Josh 01-22-04 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
I don't really see it. Weezer plays a very crunchy brand of power-pop...loud, tuned-down, heavily-distorted guitars. I hear moments of Weezer in Rooney -- the opening of "If It Were Up To Me", for instance -- but in general, not any more than any other power-pop band in their sound as a whole.
I'm pretty sure I know what Weezer sounds like...we obviously disagree. Sometimes I wonder if people have ever heard anything beyond ST (blue).

Adam Tyner 01-22-04 07:08 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
I'm pretty sure I know what Weezer sounds like...we obviously disagree. Sometimes I wonder if people have ever heard anything beyond ST (blue).
The only reason I described Weezer's sound is because I don't hear that in Rooney.

I own the first three albums and 'The Lion and the Witch' EP, I've listened to the first two incessantly, and I hear very little in common with Rooney. Sorry we don't agree.

DVD Josh 01-22-04 09:03 PM

Adam, if people didn't disagree about music, sports and politics, we'd have nothing to talk about :) It's cool bro!

Cornelius1047 01-24-04 10:55 PM

I didn't hear the similarities when I first heard "Blueside" and read about how the singer sounded like Rivers Cuomo [lead singer of Weezer]. But then I heard some of the other songs when I bought the CD and the singer definitely sounds a lot like Rivers on a lot of the songs, some more than others. So much so that once when I was playing the Rooney CD, my girlfreind asked if it was a Weezer song she'd never heard. But, other than the vocals, they aren't all that similar. I tend to hear The Beach Boys (duh) in "Blueside" and disposable pop in the rest. But, regardless, I still dig it.

K