Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Anime Newbie

Old 04-09-24, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 292 Likes on 184 Posts
Anime Newbie

My girlfriend is a big anime fan and has been most of her life. I haven't. I think before meeting her, the only things I had watched in this genre was The Animatrix and Princess Mononoke, both of which I really liked, but never bothered looking more into the genre. Just more interested in different genres.

So I watched Demon Slayer with her, and enjoyed it. Then we watched Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix, which was incredible. We've also watched Blood of Zeus, Onimusha, and Castlevania. Also enjoyed all 3, with Onimusha probably the best of them.

I just started Ninja Kamui on HBO Max, and the first episode is fantastic. It reminded me of the Kill Bill anime sequence in Vol 1.

So I guess I like anime now too. Any recommendations from long time anime fans for shows or movies that fall within the same style as the shows I've watched so far?

Old 04-09-24, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: Anime Newbie

Do you only have Netflix and Max?

Max obviously has the other Ghibli films but Mononoke is probably the closest to the stuff you already like and I'm not sure the others will suit your tastes. It seems like you're mainly drawn to action? I was going to recommend something like Jujutsu Kaisen but that's on Hulu and Crunchyroll.

I think Vinland Saga is on Netflix though it does slow down. Stuff like Kengan Asura, Record of Ragnarok and Dorohedoro all have lots of action.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
IBJoel (04-10-24), Osiris3657 (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 836 Likes on 704 Posts

Don't watch it with your girlfriend but Ninja Scroll is an anime classic. One of the most famous action anime films ever, released in the 1990s.

Shinkai's Your Name is an incredibly popular movie. You've never seen a teenage romance like this one...

For a show both you and your girlfriend can enjoy, check out Sword Art Online. Probably the most popular anime show of the 2010s, especially in the West. It's run several seasons and a couple movies of varying quality but the first season is universally liked.

Anime popular with Western fans: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Akame ga Kill!

Personal recommendation from me: Steins;Gate is an incredible trip, one of the most beloved anime. As most fans agree, the first episode is terrible. Keep watching.

Many will recommend Attack on Titan. I don't, it's a widely overrated anime.
The following users liked this post:
Osiris3657 (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Do you only have Netflix and Max?

Max obviously has the other Ghibli films but Mononoke is probably the closest to the stuff you already like and I'm not sure the others will suit your tastes. It seems like you're mainly drawn to action? I was going to recommend something like Jujutsu Kaisen but that's on Hulu and Crunchyroll.

I think Vinland Saga is on Netflix though it does slow down. Stuff like Kengan Asura, Record of Ragnarok and Dorohedoro all have lots of action.
My gf has a CrunchyRoll account that I have access to. But I have everything lol. Hulu, Netflix, Max, Paramount+, Prime, etc.

I like all types of genres, not just action. Horror, thriller, drama, sci-fi, comedy, etc. Open to trying anything, as long as the intended audience is adult and has mature themes.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-09-24, 07:34 PM

Received 524 Likes on 375 Posts

If you're looking for stuff that's not serious action, Netflix has a few rom/com & fantasy anime I'd recommend.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Toradora
Little Witch Academia
My Hero Academia
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBigDave:
Osiris3657 (04-09-24), PhantomStranger (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Don't watch it with your girlfriend but Ninja Scroll is an anime classic. One of the most famous action anime films ever, released in the 1990s.

Shinkai's Your Name is an incredibly popular movie. You've never seen a teenage romance like this one...

For a show both you and your girlfriend can enjoy, check out Sword Art Online. Probably the most popular anime show of the 2010s, especially in the West. It's run several seasons and a couple movies of varying quality but the first season is universally liked.

Anime popular with Western fans: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Akame ga Kill!

Personal recommendation from me: Steins;Gate is an incredible trip, one of the most beloved anime. As most fans agree, the first episode is terrible. Keep watching.

Many will recommend Attack on Titan. I don't, it's a widely overrated anime.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into them all.

My gf's favorites of all time are Cowboy Beebop and Demon Slayer.

Some series that look interesting to me: Elfen Lied,
Hellsing, Tokyo Ghoul
Old 04-09-24, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I personally found Tokyo Ghoul a miserable watch. The original Hellsing is memorable for its fantastically crazy character designs, English dub, and action. Elfen Lied is not an anime I'd recommend to someone just starting out.
Osiris3657 (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I personally found Tokyo Ghoul a miserable watch. The original Hellsing is memorable for its fantastically crazy character designs, English dub, and action. Elfen Lied is not an anime I'd recommend to someone just starting out.
Noted. I also browsed CrunchyRoll and some titles that look and sound interesting to me are Vinland Saga, Black Lagoon, Psycho-Pass, and Beserk. I have to admit Attack on Titan looks interesting too
Old 04-10-24, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Oh if you have Crunchyroll then that opens the floodgates. The most recent popular action anime are stuff like Solo Leveling, Shangri La Frontier and stuff like that. Just be aware that there is a TON of "person shows up in another world/video game world" ie: the isekai genre.

Samurai Champloo probably fits the genres you already like, if you haven't seen that yet.
Attack on Titan starts off as one thing and morphs into something else entirely but is worth trying a few episodes (I'll admit, I read the manga and didn't get past the first few seasons)
The original Berserk anime is great but I'm not sure it's available anywhere. There are two other versions, the movies which I think are available on Netflix and the 2016 "remake" which I can't really recommend.
As far as horror goes Devilman Crybaby is brutal and on Netflix
Evangelion is a classic and the recent movies (which basically reanimate the tv show and then go in their own direction) are all on Amazon Prime
RE:Zero is a pretty decent take on the isekai genre and can be brutal as well.

For something slower paced I cannot recommend Frieren enough.
Osiris3657 (04-10-24)
Old 04-10-24, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Received 1,077 Likes on 627 Posts

I'm not a huge anime series guy, but usually like the movies. Second vote for Mononoke.
Old 04-10-24, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Samurai Champloo probably fits the genres you already like, if you haven't seen that yet.
Great recommendation, along with (of course) Cowboy Bebop. I'm also a big fan of Space Dandy from the director of both, which I find ridiculous in all the right ways, but I get why people dislike it.
IBJoel (04-10-24)
Old 04-12-24, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati
Great recommendation, along with (of course) Cowboy Bebop. I'm also a big fan of Space Dandy from the director of both, which I find ridiculous in all the right ways, but I get why people dislike it.
I think Space Dandy is way too exotic for a newbie anime fan to enjoy. Even Samurai Champloo is a little out there for new fans in my opinion.

Osiris mentioned having Crunchyroll but I'm not a huge fan of the shows they heavily push on their service via recommendations. You actually need to dig a bit on Crunchyroll for the better stuff.
Old 04-12-24, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

It blows my mind that so many people like Demon Slayer.
Hi Score Girl is my favorite anime of all-time and is a Netflix joint. Though a big part of why it hits so well with me is because of my love for Street Fighter and growing up during the same time period, though not in the same place obvy.
Do make a point to watch Cowboy Bebop as it is one of the GOAT'S.

HIDIVE is another anime subscription service if you need access to even more content.
Old 05-01-24, 05:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Attack on Titan" is gonna blow your mind! It's got everything from epic battles to crazy plot twists. Get ready to be hooked right from the start