Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Captain Herlock

Old 01-23-20, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Herlock

I've come into possession of a new sealed copy of "Space Pirate, Captain Herlock: the endless odyssey outside legend" limited edition collector box, and I just want to know what its worth (if anything) as I know nothing about Anime.

I cant seem to find anything comparable anywhere, Im probably not looking in the right spot but Im stumped.

Appreciate any help you can send my way.

Thanks

Old 01-23-20, 08:46 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Captain Herlock

This is an ender artbox release from Geneon to complete the series. As indicated on the side, the release by itself is incomplete (Vol.1 to Vol.3 not included). There is quite a bit of Captain Harlock content released the last couple years (DVD, Blu-ray, streaming). I'm not sure there is a demand for this release (even if you have all 4 DVD volumes and artbox).

Some of the streaming links for the curious:
- Captain Harlock https://www.crunchyroll.com/captain-harlock
- Captain Harlock: Arcadia of my Youth https://www.crunchyroll.com/captain-...ia-of-my-youth
- Captain Harlock: Arcadia of my Youth - Endless Orbit SSX https://www.crunchyroll.com/captain-...less-orbit-ssx
- Harlock Space Pirate (3DCG movie )
Old 01-23-20, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 171 Posts

I have this geneon set (and all the other volumes) and I don't think it's worth much. On the plus side, I don't think it's been re-released since Geneon went under (the ones on Crunchyroll are the original series, the movie, and an earlier series, this is the 2002 OAV). But finding a collector that wants the box and is willing to track down the other pieces of the set might be difficult.

Also on the plus side as a fan of Captain Harlock as a kid, I enjoyed it, and I always loved the chipboard boxes Geneon used.

Here's the first volume on Amazon for 20 bucks, for instance:
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-23-20, 09:17 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
On the plus side, I don't think it's been re-released since Geneon went under (the ones on Crunchyroll are the original series, the movie, and an earlier series, this is the 2002 OAV).
It has remain unlicensed. I think part of it may have to do with the rights publisher: NTV SPACE PIRATE CAPTAIN HERLOCK | NIPPON TV. Very few of their titles gets licensed again once it expires.
Old 01-23-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK View Post
It has remain unlicensed. I think part of it may have to do with the rights publisher: NTV SPACE PIRATE CAPTAIN HERLOCK | NIPPON TV. Very few of their titles gets licensed again once it expires.
Interesting. Now that I think of it, very few of the Geneon-licensed stuff got rereleased; part of the reason is probably that there's so much new anime coming out, it's got to be really memorable to get "rescued," I guess (or the license holder wants to push an upgraded version).