Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

1 & Only Studio Ghibli Thread

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

1 & Only Studio Ghibli Thread

Old 07-17-17, 09:45 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: 1 & Only Studio Ghibli Blu-ray Thread

An update on today's Ghibli DVD/Blu announcement answering some common Qs, because w have always wanted to do a Notes tweet!
Forgot to add to this… there is still no Digital (iTunes etc) for the foreseeable future, and all Blus will be BD/DVD combo packs.
When do the preorders and final specs go live?

Preorders should be later this week… just didn’t want to get buried under SDCC. Specs hopefully live with that, still ironing some out.
just to be clear on "old dubs", is that about Warriors of the Wind & such or are Disney-era dubs for Kiki & others out?

Pre-Disney. Anything in current circulation you can assume is Ghibli-approved, and thats what will be on the discs.
Old 07-17-17, 09:50 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by davidh777
I've never heard of GKids.
Distributor that handles animation around the world (not just Japan): http://www.gkids.com/all-films. They have released (using home video distributor like Universal) past Ghibli titles like From Up on Poppy Hill, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya.
Originally Posted by joe_b
Disney just let the rights expire? Or Ghibli chose not to let them renew? Are their editions going OOP now?
Expect the Disney BDs/DVDs to go OOP soon. They have heavily discounted through this year.
Old 07-17-17, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I believe subtitles represent the original script and dubtitles represent what was spoken in the new voiceover.
Right. When they do the script to dub English voices they often change words and sentence structure to try to fit with mouth movements in the animation, which is why decent subtitles are a lot different than the spoken English dub.

There were several Disney releases that had dubtitles (Mononoke, Kiki, and Laputa), but all were rectified when they released the Collective Works of Hayao Miyazaki collection (which contains none of the extras of the Disney releases). The problem with Kiki is that they used the old Streamline script, since that's what the Japanese Blu Ray used for English subtitles. This will be re released in theaters next week as part of a limited event, so we'll know by then if they commissioned a new sub, but given their answer I doubt it, since Ghibli themselves used the Streamline one.

As for the Disney versions I assume they go OOP immediately since they lost distribution rights, no?

The only Disney Blu I didn't rebuy from my DVD releases was Kiki, though now I'll probably wait. Though I do have the Collective Works version (which means I bought many of these movies three times already, on VHS, DVD, Blu Ray and Collective Works). Then again I just rewatched Nausicaa with my daughter, who loved it despite the fact the narrative is so complex since it's based off of Miyazaki's manga.

Last edited by fujishig; 07-17-17 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
Distributor that handles animation around the world (not just Japan): http://www.gkids.com/all-films. They have released (using home video distributor like Universal) past Ghibli titles like From Up on Poppy Hill, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya.
Gotcha, and I do have a number of those but apparently I just thought of them as being from the main distributor, e.g., Universal, and didn't notice the GKids connection.

Actually, I have all of those except Ocean Waves, and now I have to go look it up to see what it is.
Old 07-18-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

GKids' current Ghibli Blu-rays are great. I bet their reissues will be little more than straight ports of the Disney BDs.
Old 07-20-17, 10:38 PM
WTK

GKids recap post from yesterday...

A NOTE ON STUDIO GHIBLI BLU-RAYS:

First thanks to everyone for your kind words and enthusiasm!! It's surreal to have gone from owning a VHS tape as a kid to putting our logo on the same film decades later. Literally a dream come true.

I wanted to provide some quick answers to frequent questions:

- we may have gotten carried away with "ALL FILMS". The actual press release is more specific... we will now have all films in our collection except Grave of the Fireflies (always excluded due to the fact it is not represented by Ghibli in USA), and The Wind Rises, which is still new. And we are not going to re-release our current Ghibli titles (Poppy, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Kaguya, Marnie). I'm proud of them, think we did a great job, and there's nothing I'd change yet.

- there will be three subtitle streams on every film: English for Japanese audio (translation), English SDH (aka "dubtitles"), and French

- if it's on the Japanese Bluray (from Ghibli), we probably have it. If it's not, sorry, I wouldn't expect to see it at this time. Old dubs, old tweaks etc. Ghibli is extremely particular about their masters and what is "studio approved." While I share some fondness/nostalgia for previous versions of things, Ghibli is particular about the dub you hear and the presentation you receive. In a good way. These editions will be "studio approved." We are carefully reviewing transfers, updating subtitles (where appropriate) and going nuts on the QC process. And pushing some buttons on requests every now and then. If you already own these releases, I don't expect a double dip... yet. We are going to try to earn it : )

- We are starting to release the catalog titles in October and will release a few new ones each month with a goal to get them all on shelves by end of Q1 2018.

- Yes this includes Yamadas on Bluray. I am really looking forward to spreading the joy of that film across the land.

- Artwork is going to be similar to previous US editions on some releases, different on others. It will be revealed this week for the October titles. Every Bluray will have a translated booklet, DVD and BD combo will have O-cards (slipcovers).
Old 08-04-17, 03:29 PM
WTK

via Amazon:

More releases from GKIDS:
- Porco Rosso (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $29.95 - 11/21/17
- Porco Rosso (DVD) - $19.96 - 11/21/17

- The Secret World of Arrietty (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $29.95 - 11/21/17
- The Secret World of Arrietty (DVD) - $19.96 - 11/21/17
Old 09-16-17, 08:38 PM
WTK

October 17th

Howl's Moving Castle Blu-ray/DVD
Howl's Moving Castle includes an 8-page Booklet with essays from the producer, producer's statement and more.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Interview with Diana Wynne Jones, Miyazaki's Visit to Pixar, Explanation of CG, The Birth Story of the Film Soundtrack, Behind the Microphone
Howl's Moving Castle DVD
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Interview with Diana Wynne Jones, Miyazaki's Visit to Pixar, Explanation of CG, and Behind the Microphone.
Kiki's Delivery Service Blu-ray/DVD
Kiki's Delivery Service includes an 8-page Booklet with statements from the Producer and Director along with updated and corrected subtitles from past editions.

Special Features:Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Ursula's Painting, Creating Kiki's Delivery Service, Producer's Perspective: Collaborating with Miyazaki, Behind the Microphone, The Locations of Kiki's Delivery Service, Kiki & Jiji, Flying with Kiki & Beyond.
Kiki's Delivery Service DVD
This release of Kiki's Delivery Service includes updated and corrected subtitles from past editions.

Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Ursula's Painting, Creating Kiki's Delivery Service, Producer's Perspective: Collaborating with Miyazaki, Behind the Microphone, The Locations of Kiki's Delivery Service, Kiki & Jiji, Flying with Kiki & Beyond
My Neighbor Totoro Blu-ray/DVD
My Neighbor Totoro includes an 8-page Booklet with producer's and director's statements.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Behind the Microphone, Textless Opening and End Credits, Creating My Neighbor Totoro, Creating the Characters, The "Totoro" Experience, The Locations of My Neighbor Totoro, Producer's Perspective: Creating Ghibli
My Neighbor Totoro DVD
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Behind the Microphone, Textless Opening and End Credits, Creating My Neighbor Totoro, Creating the Characters, The "Totoro" Experience, The Locations of My Neighbor Totoro, Producer's Perspective: Creating Ghibl
Ponyo Blu-ray/DVD
Ponyo includes an 8-page Booklet with statements from the Director and Producer and lyrics.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, The Five Geniuses Who Created Ponyo, Press Conference: Theme Song Announcement , Behind the Microphone Opening Event at Hibiya Scala-Za Theatre, Interview with Hayao Miyazaki, Interview with Toshio Suzuki, Theme Song Music Video, Hayao Miyazaki Press Conference at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan, Creating Ponyo, Ponyo & Fujimoto, The Nursery, Scoring Miyazaki, Producer's Perspective: Telling the Story, The Locations of Ponyo
Ponyo DVD
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Behind the Microphone, Creating Ponyo, Ponyo & Fujimoto, The Nursery, Scoring Miyazaki, Producer's Perspective: Telling the Story, The Locations of Ponyo
Princess Mononoke Blu-ray/DVD
Princess Mononoke includes an 8-page Booklet w Statements from the Producer and Director.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Princess Mononoke in USA, Behind the Microphone
Princess Mononoke DVD
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Behind the Microphone
Spirited Away Blu-ray/DVD
Spirited Away includes a 12-page Booklet with statements from the Producer and Director.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Behind the Microphone
Spirited Away DVD
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Behind the Microphone, Nippon Television Special

October 31st

Castle in the Sky Blu-ray/DVD
Castle in the Sky includes a 12-pg Booklet with statements from the Producers and Director and now features an additional English Language 5.1 Mix over the original synthesizer score.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Promotional Video, Behind the Microphone, Scoring Miyazaki, Producer's Perspective: Meeting Miyazaki, Creating Castle in the Sky, Textless Opening and End Credits, Character Sketches
Castle in the Sky DVD
Castle in the Sky includes an additional English Language 5.1 Mix over the original synthesizer score.

Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Promotional Video, Behind the Microphone, Scoring Miyazaki, Producer's Perspective: Meeting Miyazaki, Creating Castle in the Sky, Textless Opening and End Credits, Character Sketches
Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind Blu-ray/DVD
Nausicaa contains a 12-pg Booklet with statements from the Producers and Director along with a more faithful transfer which keeps colors truer to the source material.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, "Original Theatrical Trailers" (5 trailers and TV spots), Audio Commentary with Hideaki Anno and Katayama, Interview with Toshio Suzuki and Hideaki Anno: "Nausicaa and Evangelion! The Whereabouts of the Giant Warrior?", Behind the Microphone: Join the filmmakers and cast behind the English-dubbed version of the film for an inside look at its creation, Creating Nausicaa
Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind DVD
Nausicaa contains a more faithful transfer which keeps colors truer to the source material.

Special Features: "Original Theatrical Trailers" (5 trailers and TV spots), Behind the Microphone: Join the filmmakers and cast behind the English-dubbed version of the film for an inside look at its creation, Creating Nausicaa

November 21st

Porco Rosso Blu-ray/DVD
Porco Rosso includes an 8-page Booklet with statements from the producer and director.

Special Features: Textless open and end credits, Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Interview with Toshio Suzuki, Behind the Microphone
Porco Rosso DVD
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Interview with Toshio Suzuki, Behind the Microphone, Textless Open and End Credits
The Secret World of Arrietty Blu-ray/DVD
The Secret World of Arrietty includes an 8-page Booklet with art and producer's statement.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Interview with Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Interview with Hayao Miyazaki, Arrietty's Song Music Video
The Secret World of Arrietty DVD
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Arrietty's Song Music Video
Old 11-09-17, 10:39 PM
WTK

via Amazon (GKIDS release):

- My Neighbors the Yamadas (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $29.95 - 1/16/18
- My Neighbors the Yamadas (DVD) - $19.96 - 1/16/18

- The Cat Returns (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $29.95 - 1/16/18
- The Cat Returns (DVD) - $19.96 - 1/16/18

- Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $29.95 - 1/16/18
- Whisper of the Heart (DVD) - $19.96 - 1/16/18

​​​​​​​- Pom Poko (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $29.95 - 2/6/18
- Pom Poko (DVD) - $19.96 - 2/6/18

- Tales From Earthsea (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $29.95 - 2/6/18
- Tales From Earthsea (DVD) - $19.96 - 2/6/18
Old 11-03-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GKIDS' lavish deluxe Collector's Edition for Spirited Away comes out in a week. Follows up their similar sets for Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro. This is the only way to get the CD soundtrack for Spirited Away.

https://www.doblu.com/2019/11/03/spi...lu-ray-review/
Old 05-01-20, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So after the deluxe sets for Spirited Away, Princess Mononke, and My Neighbor Totoro, GKIDS is now releasing Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo in steelbooks. Also, Sentai just recently released Grave of the Fireflies in a steelbook as well. I would love to collect all of Ghibli in Steelbooks, but we have no verification yet if they plan to release them all in steels or not.
Old 05-01-20, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Girls with Guns
So after the deluxe sets for Spirited Away, Princess Mononke, and My Neighbor Totoro, GKIDS is now releasing Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo in steelbooks. Also, Sentai just recently released Grave of the Fireflies in a steelbook as well. I would love to collect all of Ghibli in Steelbooks, but we have no verification yet if they plan to release them all in steels or not.
I love steelbooks but I think the only thing that would get me to double dip at this point is if they included digital copies for once. I know that makes no sense but at least then I can justify the triple dip this would be.
Old 05-02-20, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I already have quadruple/quintuple dipped on most of the studio Ghibli movies - I have all 24 Japanese Blu-ray digipak singles of the movies, all of the US Disney Blu-rays, all of the GKIDS Blu-rays, the Miyazaki Collection Box Set, and some of the UK Blu-ray releases. I wanted to collect the UK steelbooks, but after seeing the first few sets when they came out, I didn't care much for the looks of them, too much bare steel color, so I didn't bother importing those.

And digital copies are not a thing for me, I am strictly a Blu-ray viewer, and don't care much for streaming. I probably have at least 500-600 expired digital codes in my Live-action Blu-ray collection, and haven't used a single one of Funimation's digital codes in their anime. To me they're just a scrap sheet of paper to remove from the disc case and toss in the trash along with the shrink-wrap, lol.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (05-05-20)
Old 05-02-20, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I love steelbooks but I think the only thing that would get me to double dip at this point is if they included digital copies for once. I know that makes no sense but at least then I can justify the triple dip this would be.
That’s finally possible now that these are on digital services, so we’ll see.

I bought seven of them on Vudu, which were all triple dips.
Old 05-05-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha, I already have quadruple/quintuple dipped on most of the studio Ghibli movies - I have all 24 Japanese Blu-ray digipak singles of the movies, all of the US Disney Blu-rays, all of the GKIDS Blu-rays, the Miyazaki Collection Box Set, and some of the UK Blu-ray releases. I wanted to collect the UK steelbooks, but after seeing the first few sets when they came out, I didn't care much for the looks of them, too much bare steel color, so I didn't bother importing those.

And digital copies are not a thing for me, I am strictly a Blu-ray viewer, and don't care much for streaming. I probably have at least 500-600 expired digital codes in my Live-action Blu-ray collection, and haven't used a single one of Funimation's digital codes in their anime. To me they're just a scrap sheet of paper to remove from the disc case and toss in the trash along with the shrink-wrap, lol.
You should at least give away those Funimation codes and introduce the shows to another viewer. Most Funimation digital copies are worth very little since they only work on Funimation's service.
Old 05-05-20, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Does anyone know if they are phasing out of the Deluxe formats? I just got around to opening up my Spirited Away and ripping the cd and listening to it the other day. I'm enraptured by these scores. I was utterly gobsmacked how much I loved Mononoke's score and SA is every bit as hypnotic to me. Maybe even more so as it's even more gentle and meditative.
I dig it so much I'm now fully over my resistance to checking out Totoro, as it always looked way too child-centric to me. For the score alone, I know I'm going to order it soon.

Would love to get Kiki and more in this format- and would upgrade Nausicaa in a heart beat. I'm gonna be kind of crushed if they've thrown in the towel on these.
Old 05-06-20, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hard to say at this point. I wonder if GKIDS's sales have been impacted by Studio Ghibli finally becoming available on digital services.
Old 05-20-20, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Does anyone know if they are phasing out of the Deluxe formats? I just got around to opening up my Spirited Away and ripping the cd and listening to it the other day. I'm enraptured by these scores. I was utterly gobsmacked how much I loved Mononoke's score and SA is every bit as hypnotic to me. Maybe even more so as it's even more gentle and meditative.
I dig it so much I'm now fully over my resistance to checking out Totoro, as it always looked way too child-centric to me. For the score alone, I know I'm going to order it soon.

Would love to get Kiki and more in this format- and would upgrade Nausicaa in a heart beat. I'm gonna be kind of crushed if they've thrown in the towel on these.
With the release of two more steelbooks, I think it's safe to say that they are getting away from the Deluxe Formats.
Old 05-20-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, it looks like it.

Any other year I would still hold out hope that they might kick the same titles out in deluxe editions for Q4 holiday sales. This year is obviously quite a different story.
Too bad.

I just have to enjoy the two I have and pick up Totoro as soon as I can afford it.
Old 09-18-20, 10:04 PM
WTK

400 images from 8 Studio Ghibli films (From Up on Poppy Hill, Ponyo, Spirited Away, Tales from Earthsea, The Secret World of Arrietty, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, The Wind Rises, When Marnie Was There) are free via Studio Ghibli.

http://www.ghibli.jp/info/013344
Old 12-13-20, 01:45 PM
WTK

Old 05-28-21, 11:20 AM
WTK

The following 2 users liked this post by WTK:
John Pannozzi (11-26-21), PhantomStranger (05-29-21)
Old 06-28-21, 08:25 PM
WTK

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (11-26-21)
Old 06-29-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Many Studio Ghibli Blu-rays from GKIDS have coupons attached to them at the moment.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.