Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

So I guess no more Monster box sets from Viz?

Old 12-04-10, 01:49 AM

So I guess no more Monster box sets from Viz?

Been about a year since the first Monster box set came out so I would have to assume Viz decided to sit on the rest not release them. Any word on this anywhere?

Sucks. Talk about screwing over fans.
Old 12-04-10, 01:09 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Re: So I guess no more Monster box sets from Viz?

Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Been about a year since the first Monster box set came out so I would have to assume Viz decided to sit on the rest not release them. Any word on this anywhere?

Sucks. Talk about screwing over fans.
It's Viz. They are known to for releasing incomplete anime series without giving any official explanations.
Old 12-04-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

@ Viz

And these companies wonder why no one buys anime anymore.
Old 12-20-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kinda chicken and the egg thing here, though. I don't think the first box set sold all that well, and the TV ratings weren't great... if it's not even remotely profitable for them to release the rest of such a long series, I don't see how you can fault them for stopping. I give them credit for finding a way to get all of something like Maison Ikkoku out, which although it's a Takahashi anime didn't really sell all that well.
Old 12-20-10, 07:03 PM

Yeah, but they should have just released either the entire series at once, or more than just 15 episodes at once. It's totally absurd and a sad way to treat such a critically acclaimed series. If they release half a season in a set, then maybe they can manage to get out the second half.. but by releasing ONE FIFTH of the series at once, ugh. An attempt to pillage fans of cash then the fans buy it and they stop making it.

Absurd.
Old 12-21-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But the fans didn't buy it. I can only imagine the sales would have been worse had they released a colossal, expensive set. I understand the frustration (Saint Seiya stopped in the middle of an arc, for crying out loud), but critical acclaim doesn't matter much if you have to pay the bills, especially for a lengthy series. Maybe the fans bought it, maybe a lot of people are just conditioned to wait for cheaper sets, but bottom line is not enough fans bought it to make it viable.
Old 12-25-10, 12:20 AM

But as I pointed out, releasing it in ONE FIFTH increments is probably what turns people off.

"I don't want to spend $35 FIVE FRICKEN TIMES to get this whole set."

it's stupid.

F Viz.