Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Bubblegum crisis boxset - remastered vs. original?

Old 12-21-10, 06:22 PM

Bubblegum crisis boxset - remastered vs. original?

I have the original Bubblegum Crisis 4-disc "Megaset" and enjoyed the series:

There is a new set (well, years old by now) - the "Remastered" set. Unfortunately, any comparisons I find are comparing it to an old, old, old DVD set (in PC-Game style cases?) or VHS copies. I'd be happy to own a nicer version of the set (video quality is my big concern) but don't want to double-dip for little improvement.

Anyone have any comparison between the two? Is it worth rebuying for better video quality?
Old 12-22-10, 08:38 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Re: Bubblegum crisis boxset - remastered vs. original?

Not sure if this will be of help to your or not: LINK.
Old 12-26-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Bubblegum crisis boxset - remastered vs. original?

Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
I have the original Bubblegum Crisis 4-disc "Megaset" and enjoyed the series:

There is a new set (well, years old by now) - the "Remastered" set. Unfortunately, any comparisons I find are comparing it to an old, old, old DVD set (in PC-Game style cases?) or VHS copies. I'd be happy to own a nicer version of the set (video quality is my big concern) but don't want to double-dip for little improvement.

Anyone have any comparison between the two? Is it worth rebuying for better video quality?
After viewing the series on Blu-ray, I doubt I'll ever be able to go back to the DVDs. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray box is only available in Japan, and it lacks English subtitles/dubbing. If AnimEigo were to rerelease the series using the new HD transfers from 2008, that would clearly be the version to go for. If video quality is your main concern, and you're a big enough fan to pay the high import price, get the BDs (assuming you have a BD player). You won't be sorry.

That said, IIRC, the old DVD set in the PC software style box and the set you have contain the same discs. They just repackaged it because people hated the PC game packaging. The "remastered" DVD set from AnimEigo has the remastered video from the 1998 Japanese LD box.