Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I've never even see the last 2 eps on the Evangelion DVD's. I opted to just go the End of Evangelion route. Evangelion was OK, but is a bit overhyped IMO. I would definately keep it though. Don't even think about returning Cowboy Bebop.

Thanks in sharing your opinion. Bebop will be on my que for watch list. I noticed at the back of this remix boxset there is this extra episode ( Session 0 ). Was the Extra episode did not reach the light of release before here in US?

As for Evangelion.. Im so so so on how I will get this (new & sealed):

Old 03-29-09, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Just watched first 3 episodes of Witchblade last night... it's kinda weak and I don't know if I would want to sit through the whole series.
It does not get any better...but on the bright side it doesn't get much worse either.
Old 03-29-09, 03:03 PM

Just Finished:

Peach Girl - Lots of drama and might have been better had it felt a little bit more realistic. Despite the over drama the series did tone it down enough to make it quite watchable. It even had dark tones to the series that I would not normally expect to see out this type of Anime. If it wasn't for the all the constant plot twists and drama this series could have been great.

Tsubasa - I am honestly torn about this series. I saw the previews to this and said I got to see this. I watched the two seasons and kept waiting for something to happen. What do I mean? The curse to the warrior that did not seem to even be relevant and just seemed mostly ignored. A mage who basically never uses magic...at least not until extremely late in the series. Why did the characters never met alternates of themselves? The series could of been way better had it used some material from the Sliders TV series. Seriously, what was with the Chobits episode in the second season....I honestly thought I just imagined it but considering they were actually using names of the persocoms from the series and the fact they looked just like them.... It had its highs and lows but man it was lacking in direction.

Chobits - An interesting if not a simple and easy going series. The concept of the series is nothing new and has been presented in many movies over the years. Cute and seem targeted towards teenage boys. It just seemed like another Anime where a main character had an adult female body with the mind of a six year....seems to appear in quite a few series. It had a very catchy intro song...

Top Ten Overall:

1.) Rumbling Hearts
2.) Death Note
3.) Rurouni Kenshin
4.) Gungrave
5.) Samurai Champloo
6.) Beck
7.) Bleach
8.) Suzuka
9.) Ghost in the Shell
10.) Azumanga Daioh

Honorable Mention:

Last Exile, Fate/Stay Night, Gun Sword, Genshiken, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Fullmetal Alchemist, Getbackers, My Hime, Kaliedo Star, DNAngel, Baki the Grappler S2, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Mushi-Shi, Samurai 7, Hellsing, Black Blood Brothers, Trinity Blood, Basilisk, Witch Hunter Robin, Hell Girl, Gantz, Afro Samurai, Peacemaker, Witchblade, Utawarerumono, Phantom Memory Kurau, Devil May Cry, Solty Rei, Strawberry Marshmallow, Hell Girl, Peach Girl, Tsubasa, Chobits & Black Lagoon.

The What the Heck Was I Thinking List:

Neo Ranga, Gravitation, ES Otherwise, Samurai Gun, Ninja Scroll, Fooly Cooly

In Progess/Currently Watching List:

Rozen Maiden (started)
Mermaid Forest (started)
Gilgamesh (started)
Mushi-Shi (started)
Wolf's Rain (On Deck)

The To Watch List:

Gunslinger Girl, 009-1, Heat Guy J, Madlax, Cromartie High School, FaFner, Noir, Black Cat, Desert Punk, King of Bandit Jing, Gad Guard, Yugo The Negotiator, Galaxy Angel, To Heart, X, Shinchan, Saiyuki, Saiyuki Reloaded, Saiyuki Reloaded Gunlock, Zipang, Excel Saga, Boogiepop Phantom, Karas, Banner of the Stars, Crest of the Stars, NowandThenHereandThere, Gankutsuou, Argentosoma, Kaze no Yojimbo, Ai Yori Aoshi, Koi Kaze, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic TSR, Chrono Crusade, Doki Doki School Hours, Ultramaniac, My-Z-Hime, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Ghost Slayers Ayashi, Red Garden, Pumpkin Scissors, Rozen Maiden, Kanon, Piano, Texhnolyze, Clannad, Mermaid Forest, ...(whew!)

Last edited by mordaane; 03-29-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 04:14 PM

I'm watching Love Hina now since I was able to score a copy of the Anime Legends release and the accompanying Love Hina Movies collection for about what the newer set through Funimation would have cost me during the Best Buy 50% Off Sale. I'm a fan of the harem shows, but this one just isn't catching me like Tenchi Muyo or Ai Yori Aoshi did. I just think the characters aren't as interesting or likeable as those from the other shows. Keitaro is kinda whiny, Kitsune doesn't really contribute much and has that lame accent, and I just can't stand the way Sue talks. It's not a bad show, but it pales in comparison to Tenchi or Ai Yori Aoshi.
BTW, what was with the comments about Anime Insider in the anime deals thread? Are they ceasing publication or something? I just subscribed a few months ago, so I sure hope not.
Old 03-29-09, 04:25 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Last Exile (Funimation release)

Originally Posted by izatright
Two things. I purchased the complete MushiShi box set for $25. Amazing series. Were these harder to find or am I just in the minority as far as fanship?
The boxset should be widely available online (B&M may vary). The singles eventually will be harder to find.
Also, slightly off topic. I noticed Funimation is releasing The Last Exile. From what I've gathered it's going to be a 4 disc set with 625 minutes of content, compare to the Murata Range which was 7 discs and 650 minutes of content. Anyone know anything about the new set? Is it worth acquiring the new set (more shelf space + cheaper price) or is it an inferior set?
The new set will belong to FUNimation. Geneon no longer has the rights to this series. I wouldn't expect much extras from this upcoming release (aside from clean OP/ED and trailers).
Old 03-29-09, 04:27 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by nezumi
What's the word on this remastered KITE that's supposed to be out? Based on the description over on DD, it doesn't look like there's anything new in the way of special features. I already own the uncut edition, but is it worth double-dipping?
Like many recent MB releases, this one is delayed. It probably won't be released until sometime in April. There is still no official word of what consist of this remaster. It's released under the AnimeWorks label, so this will be the edited version and not uncut.
Old 03-29-09, 04:37 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by mordaane
Tsubasa - I am honestly torn about this series. I saw the previews to this and said I got to see this. I watched the two seasons and kept waiting for something to happen. What do I mean? The curse to the warrior that did not seem to even be relevant and just seemed mostly ignored. A mage who basically never uses magic...at least not until extremely late in the series. Why did the characters never met alternates of themselves? The series could of been way better had it used some material from the Sliders TV series. Seriously, what was with the Chobits episode in the second season....I honestly thought I just imagined it but considering they were actually using names of the persocoms from the series and the fact they looked just like them.... It had its highs and lows but man it was lacking in direction.
This series really had potentials and it never really got there. Is something really going to happen? It was still entertaining enough to watch for the most part. And since this is a CLAMP series, it's not that odd to see crossover characters or things/ideas. Kero from Cardcaptor Sakura. Chii, Kotoko, and Sumomo from Chobits. There are quite a few crossovers (anime, manga,...). You can read more here...
Old 03-29-09, 04:40 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Liontamer
BTW, what was with the comments about Anime Insider in the anime deals thread? Are they ceasing publication or something? I just subscribed a few months ago, so I sure hope not.
There have gone away. ANN broke the story on the 26th. It's sad to see another anime publication biting the dust...

Last edited by WTK; 03-29-09 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
There have gone away. Ann broke the story on the 26th. It's sad to see another anime publication biting the dust...
Damn it. Does that mean the the newest issue (the video games issue) is the final issue that will be released? I hope they'll add what's left of my subscription to my Wizard subscription.
Old 03-29-09, 08:04 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Liontamer
Originally Posted by WTK
There have gone away. ANN broke the story on the 26th. It's sad to see another anime publication biting the dust...
Damn it. Does that mean the the newest issue (the video games issue) is the final issue that will be released? I hope they'll add what's left of my subscription to my Wizard subscription.
Yeah. That's the last issue. I would try to contact them (CS or whomever) and see what happens. These type of things usually don't turn up well. Good luck regardless.

Last edited by WTK; 03-29-09 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got around to watching Paradise Kiss this weekend. A top tier 12 episode series that I highly recommend.
Old 03-31-09, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Yeah. That's the last issue. I would try to contact them (CS or whomever) and see what happens. These type of things usually don't turn up well. Good luck regardless.
Well, I've been a subscriber to Wizard for over 10 years, so hopefully they'll take care of me on this one.
Old 04-03-09, 07:51 PM

My Amazon.co.uk order finally came in, with my Gundam Wing Remastered Box Set.

I didn't know these were numbered, or limited, but apparently they're both.

I ended up with number 240! They must have not sold a lot, or not printed a lot.

The art book was worth buying it for alone! It has sketches of every character, every mecha, spaceships, colonies, etc. It also has the complete storyboard for the opening sequence!

The packaging is top notch as well. I'd suggest if you're a fan of the show to import this set, as I'm sure we'll never see it released here.

Old 04-09-09, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone heard of a US release of Genshiken 2 coming?

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-09-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Smorri

Thanks in advance...
The first volume should come out on June 30.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/83215/4/0/0

Being a Media Blasters release, it very well could be delayed.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 04-09-09 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-09-09, 10:32 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Originally Posted by Smorri

Thanks in advance...
The first volume should come out on June 30.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/83215/4/0/0

Being a Media Blasters release, it very well could be delayed.
It was announced 2 days ago, that Genshiken 2 has been delayed indefinitely (among with numerous other MB, KM, and live-action titles).
Old 04-09-09, 10:34 AM
WTK

Quick reminder for those FullMetal Alchemist fans, the first subbed episode of FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is now up on FUNimation.com.
Old 04-09-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
It was announced 2 days ago, that Genshiken 2 has been delayed indefinitely (among with numerous other MB, KM, and live-action titles).
What else is new.
Old 04-09-09, 10:54 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by WTK
What else is new.
It's becoming the norm for MB. Bandai Ent. is getting pretty bad too. Tons of delays and now some cancellations (Lucky Star Vol.6 LE, Flag Boxset, and Zegapain Boxset).
Old 04-09-09, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WTK
Thanks folks... I guess I'll be ordering it from overseas.
Old 04-12-09, 01:49 AM

Is there any official R1 DVD release of Guyver:"Out Of Control" ?

I want to add one in my Guyver Collection

Old 04-12-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
So it would seem that it's actually Best Buy that is screwing us. Taken from a MB rep over at AOD-

Unfortuntely the reason is pretty simple. I am not sure how public the news is but Best Buy decided to change the way they are handling their vendors. They forced us along with several other companies to pick a new VMI partner and in this change over they reviewed all our active skus and cut them down pretty hard. This has forced us to basically re-do our whole schedule for 2009. We will be annoucing litebox as the new word of the day is for titles that were doing real well so we can get them back in (just so before you start asking why are they making another sku on that title again, that is the reason.) And with this change over we will not be able to get in key titles like Genshkin, FOD and such unless we make the street date changes...so basically that is the story.

Also we are preparing for two big annoucements to get out before the end of the year. One is kind of anime but TV product and the other is what we would consider a big anime title...it will be announced in the coming weeks. We already have begun work and should be ready for September first releases.

Hang in there as usual it will be a bumpy ride in 2009...trying to make it to the finish line in one piece.

-js
Old 04-12-09, 10:51 PM
WTK

So it would seem that it's actually Best Buy that is screwing us. Taken from a MB rep over at AOD-
I think a MB rep is understating it since the intel came from the MB head honcho himself, John Sirabella.

The BB anime downsizing effect will affect how studios do things from now on (if not already). I know people loved that 50% off sale, but the retail (B&M) landscape for anime is not looking pretty...
Old 04-13-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by xage
Is there any official R1 DVD release of Guyver:"Out Of Control" ?

I want to add one in my Guyver Collection
Sadly, Guyver: Out of Control hasn't been released on DVD. It was licensed and released on VHS by a company called U.S. Renditions that is long defunct. Another company has yet to rescue the license and release a DVD. Too bad, I thought it was a pretty decent short OVA.
Old 05-01-09, 12:26 AM

I should also note that Death and Rebirth also contains the first third of End of Evangelion. If you cannot track down a copy of EOE, at least you'll get a taste of it with D&R.
Thanks for the info last month..

after a month of hunt.. I was able to get lucky and score the two movies as new and at a bottomline cost at a very well kept Borders Store (that carries a 50% off)

Originally Posted by xage
Now, next month (Month Of May) will be my Evangelion Viewing Month

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.