Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 02:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Yeah, there's not even a breadcrumb back to previous systems, or a way to link from systems you've discovered to the galactic map.
Old 08-11-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Is the game breaking bug for pre-ordering at retail ? When I pre-ordered digital on PSN it came with some ship but from an article I read it only mentioned pre-orders from retail.
Old 08-11-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah i am not a huge fan of the star map so far, and mapping in general could be massively improved upon. I guess when you have whole planets to fly across and map it would be quite a task for the PS4 to handle. Still something added in the next update would be welcome.
Old 08-11-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Is the game breaking bug for pre-ordering at retail ? When I pre-ordered digital on PSN it came with some ship but from an article I read it only mentioned pre-orders from retail.
I got it digitally as well. I assume it is the same for both.
Old 08-11-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I found a local Best Buy sort of out of the way that had about 5 copies left so I grabbed one.

So don't use the bonus ship correct or can you providing you have certain parts? Or is this issue for those who started and might lose progress. If there was just one tip what would it be?
Old 08-11-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I found a local Best Buy sort of out of the way that had about 5 copies left so I grabbed one.

So don't use the bonus ship correct or can you providing you have certain parts? Or is this issue for those who started and might lose progress. If there was just one tip what would it be?
Isn't the ship thing a pre-order item only? If so, I imagine you don't have anything to worry about.

I just requested a copy at the library. I curious about the game, just not $60 curious.
Old 08-11-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This week Best Buy included the ship when you bought the game even after launch....
Old 08-11-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Are you guys trying to hunt down physical copies because you plan/want to be able to trade it in or just because you're a fan of owning the discs?
I will not worry about buying a digital copy, that I have zero actual ownership of, when they make the 20% discount I get from Amazon and Best Buy available to me. Until then, they can shove their full price digital copies up their ass along with their digital gerbil.
Old 08-11-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I will not worry about buying a digital copy, that I have zero actual ownership of, when they make the 20% discount I get from Amazon and Best Buy available to me. Until then, they can shove their full price digital copies up their ass along with their digital gerbil.
Old 08-11-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can you fly the ship around the planet you first start out on? I see a lot of stuff but down in valleys and all. Or do you have another way of getting up and around...rocket suit or ?????
Old 08-11-16, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Can you fly the ship around the planet you first start out on? I see a lot of stuff but down in valleys and all. Or do you have another way of getting up and around...rocket suit or ?????
Once you fix your ship and fuel up, you can fly around the planet as you like
Old 08-11-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Looks like I can craft a warp cell, is that the same thing as a warp core? If not then I guess I am out of luck.
Old 08-12-16, 12:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Same thing, I wrote it wrong above.
Old 08-12-16, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Once you fix your ship and fuel up, you can fly around the planet as you like
Ok...that's what I needed to know

Ok...have a few more ????

I've stumbled upon some containers that mention "Atlas Pass"....what is that and how to get one?

I read before getting the game about getting extra slots but cannot remember what the article said...how do you get slots?

So far loving it...game looks good. Get the sense you're doing the movie..."The Martian".....basically alone. As far as a helpful tip...I found using the caves was huge getting around and not getting a radiation pounding Also not getting stingy collecting resources.

I did get enough stuff to repair the ship but really liked I apparently found 10 "unknowns" in material, plants and four living animals and got to rename and put it in the database. And then when I went out the names popped up...that was cool.

I came upon some radio beacon towers, a small portable housing space ship, some containers with plan (not enough materials to make them) and saw a fairly sized building I'll hit tonight. Found some pillars with alien language deciphering a word. and some Trader items.....and still haven't died yet.
Old 08-12-16, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

You have become the new OldBoy of gaming...

If you follow the Atlas path with the red orb, you will eventually come across how to get/make the pass... it is not on the first planet - at least not until after you leave it... I have not personally gotten there yet.

Certain ? spots on planets have an upgrade pod.

Left trigger is used to discover things... wish I knew that Wednesday when I started playing... now I am back on my first planet and discovering more stuff.
Old 08-12-16, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Music
You have become the new OldBoy of gaming...

If you follow the Atlas path with the red orb
Where did you find the red orb? I've been on my starter planet for seven hours and have yet to find it. Is it necessary to use it?
Old 08-12-16, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Where did you find the red orb? I've been on my starter planet for seven hours and have yet to find it. Is it necessary to use it?
It is right next to your ship.

They say that it gives you some direction in the game... if you don't use it then you are really out on your own to discover everything.
Old 08-12-16, 07:47 AM

I am fucked. Can't make a Warp Core. Now I can either wait for a fix or start over.
What kills me is that I was actually doing the tutorial when I switched ships. If I had waited 15 more minutes I would have been fine, or if I hadn't played yesterday morning I would have seen the warning here. That really sucks
Old 08-12-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what will happen on the PC side as far as the preorder bonus goes. Seems like they've had enough time to fix it, but since they haven't even acknowledged the bug yet, I'm not holding my breath.

It seems like if you pre-order it on Steam you'll just automatically get the ship and be screwed? I've been holding off because of this.
Old 08-12-16, 08:36 AM

Actually, I checked the No Man's Sky website and they said a console restart often fixed the problem. Did one and sure enough immediately got blueprints for a Warp Cell and Antimatter delivered to my character.

Minor crisis averted!
Old 08-12-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I did get the Red Orb but shortly after venturing out on my own. It gave me two options and I hit the Let Atlas help or guide...but I haven't seen anything. So I need to leave the planet and then come back to get this Atlas Pass...but it looks like I'm going to need slots if anything.

I don't want to leave...I still see a few way points in the distance from where I'm at. Oh...there is no map or something that you can see as to what areas you have been and seen correct?

"Old Man of Gaming"...wear that badge proudly. My grandson's friends are shocked because they cannot even get their parents involved. And me, grandson and his Dad all play PS4 and belong in the same Clash of Clans clan....
Old 08-12-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I get you with the full price digital copy thing when they don't have to ship or make a physical product. But how much do you really own the physical game once they take down the infrastructure and servers, and you're unable to get updates (like if you wanted to install it on a new system)? It's not like the old days where you were guaranteed to be able to play a game as long as you had a working system.
Old 08-12-16, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by flashburn
I wonder what will happen on the PC side as far as the preorder bonus goes. Seems like they've had enough time to fix it, but since they haven't even acknowledged the bug yet, I'm not holding my breath.
They did acknowledge it. See the link in my post above.

It seems like if you pre-order it on Steam you'll just automatically get the ship and be screwed? I've been holding off because of this.
No need to. If you don't actually switch to the bonus ship until AFTER you do the early tutorials for getting Hyperdrive, Warp Cell and Antimatter blueprints, you have nothing to worry about.

Besides, like I said above a console restart immediately and totally fixed this "Game Breaking bug"
Old 08-12-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Music
It is right next to your ship.

They say that it gives you some direction in the game... if you don't use it then you are really out on your own to discover everything.
Oh damn the crash site is about 2 hours away and I already switched ships and locations so it probably won't show up on radar . I wonder if it'll still be there if I do a fly by?
Old 08-12-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I get you with the full price digital copy thing when they don't have to ship or make a physical product. But how much do you really own the physical game once they take down the infrastructure and servers, and you're unable to get updates (like if you wanted to install it on a new system)? It's not like the old days where you were guaranteed to be able to play a game as long as you had a working system.
Yeah, it kind of use to rankle me that digital was full price, but eventually I became ok with it;

For me it's opportunity cost. I personally am 100% totally ok with being able to get a game on a whim without having to trek to a B&M store, put up with traffic (living in Chicago this is a bigger deal for me than others), the annoying people who work at game stores etc, etc... Again this varies from person to person but for me personally that opportunity cost is within my reason.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.