Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts
Re: No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I'm OK with catching shit for being part of the problem. In order to prevent such disappoint again I'm certainly not going to preorder a game I was on the fence about until the last possible moment. I trusted game reviewers more than my gut.
I've bought lots of shit games in the past but this level of disappointment was unparalleled. After all my years here I could care less how many people here think I'm a shitty gamer/person for this.
I don't think you're a shitty person I just think it's a shitty thing to do. I don't walk out of the movie theater when I don't care for a movie and ask for my money back. I don't download an album off iTunes and then ask for my money back when I don't care for it. Games like movies or music is subjective you don't only pay for one's you end up liking.
Old 09-06-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine the response if a theater charged for an IMAX 3D movie but once inside customers were presented with a standard 35mm showing. Nobody would be upset if patrons demanded a refund. If the product is misrepresented it's not shitty to ask for a refund, and as Adam's link amply showed this product was misrepresented to hell and back.
Old 09-06-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Imagine the response if a theater charged for an IMAX 3D movie but once inside customers were presented with a standard 35mm showing. Nobody would be upset if patrons demanded a refund. If the product is misrepresented it's not shitty to ask for a refund, and as Adam's link amply showed this product was misrepresented to hell and back.
i don't think that's a valid analogy in this situation. a more appropriate analogy may be when we see parts of movies in a trailer, but that doesn't make it into the actual theatrical release.
Old 09-06-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree it's not a perfect analogy, but the trailer analogy doesn't factor in the historic price/value expectations in the game market. Unlike films, games are historically priced differently based on content. People expected an AAA game because the devs charged the AAA price.
Old 09-06-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Wait, they promised implied that NPC ships could take off from anywhere on a planet but in reality they only take off from landing pads located all over the planets? Well shit, now I want my money back as well! [/sarcasm]
Old 09-06-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts

Developers mention things they want to have in their game all the time and then because of money or time restraints they don't end up ending in the game. Almost every video game trailer you see is a lie. They are shown on high end PC's that are touched up and made to look better then they will ever look on a console.

Not to mention they've said for a long time now that they plan on updating/adding to this game for quite a while.
Old 09-06-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
People expected an AAA game because the devs charged the AAA price.
There are tons of games that are in no way "AAA" and are still full price. You're acting like this doesn't happen, when it's actually the fucking norm.

Like I said - do you pay less to see a low budget movie than a big budget movie? No, the only way to pay less is to wait until they're at the cheaper theater. Same with games.
Old 09-06-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I've already gotten more enjoyment out of this game than AAA games like Street Fighter V or Just Cause 3.
Old 09-06-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well so far I have probably clocked in 100 hours on NMS and that's way more than most AAA games I have bought in recent years, so I do not in any way consider it a waste. And I have certainly enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than that lazy piece of shit Just Cause 3. I still weep over that game. The second is one the best games I ever played and then it gets a lazy and incredibly weak sequel. And I will only pick up Street Fighter V when they release a complete package that includes a full offline game.

I am still curious to see what DLC comes out for NMS in the future and that alone is reason to keep
hold on it. I saw an update for the game (1.08 I think) yesterday.
Old 09-06-16, 11:06 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I felt like I got 47 dollars worth out of the game...
Old 09-07-16, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Was Just Cause 3 that bad compared to JC2?

...if anything I know this game is far better than Blink.....
Old 09-07-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

A friend of mine seems to think that multiplayer is going to be added to the game at some point. Has anything ever been said about that? I don't recall it ever being said.
Old 09-09-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Was Just Cause 3 that bad compared to JC2?

...if anything I know this game is far better than Blink.....
Simply put....yes. JC2 had an amazing sandbox with great diversity,it had solid action, great driving and flying, all the mechanics of the game were fantastic and after you finished it you could still spend hours messing around with things. It set up the potential for a stellar third game.

However...

What we got was a game that was obviously being developed as an online multiplayer (probably after seeing the huge amounts of cash that GTA Online was making) but then had a 180 direction turn to make it a single player experience. As a result the game looked fine, but the sandbox felt cut and pasted with little imagination that was displayed in the second game (where did the big cities go), and even attacking the bases felt tiresome pretty quickly. The explosions looked pretty, but it just felt a massively wasted opportunity. Even the wing suit didnt add that much to the game. I hope they do a JC4 and right all these wrongs.
Old 09-09-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a
Simply put....yes. JC2 had an amazing sandbox with great diversity,it had solid action, great driving and flying, all the mechanics of the game were fantastic and after you finished it you could still spend hours messing around with things. It set up the potential for a stellar third game.

However...

What we got was a game that was obviously being developed as an online multiplayer (probably after seeing the huge amounts of cash that GTA Online was making) but then had a 180 direction turn to make it a single player experience. As a result the game looked fine, but the sandbox felt cut and pasted with little imagination that was displayed in the second game (where did the big cities go), and even attacking the bases felt tiresome pretty quickly. The explosions looked pretty, but it just felt a massively wasted opportunity. Even the wing suit didnt add that much to the game. I hope they do a JC4 and right all these wrongs.
And you didn't even mention the idiotic upgrade system, which makes sense for a multi-player focused game, but not at all for what we ended up getting.
Old 09-11-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
A friend of mine seems to think that multiplayer is going to be added to the game at some point. Has anything ever been said about that? I don't recall it ever being said.
Would be close to impossible to do. You'd have to find your friend in one of the 18 quintillion planets, and not only that, you'd have to find them ON the planet, which could be a task in itself.

But let's say you could find your friend to do multiplayer with and beat those insurmountable odds (you got a better chance of winning the Superlotto jackpot on two consecutive plays), then what? What are you doing to do? Trade resources? Whoop de do!
Old 09-11-16, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Would be close to impossible to do. You'd have to find your friend in one of the 18 quintillion planets, and not only that, you'd have to find them ON the planet, which could be a task in itself.

But let's say you could find your friend to do multiplayer with and beat those insurmountable odds (you got a better chance of winning the Superlotto jackpot on two consecutive plays), then what? What are you doing to do? Trade resources? Whoop de do!
Or you could possibly have the multiplayer where you and a friend link up and launch the game and start out in one of the ships either you or your friend owns and explore planets together. Not as far fetched as winning the Superlotto Jackpot. That is kind of how I would expect them to do multiplayer if they ever did.
Old 09-11-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

The multiplayer thing was lying to me. I understand devs get ahead of themselves and promise the moon, but it's like he said early on that multiplayer was possible, you could meet someone else but it would be like a one in a million chance. He was called on it multiple times and even though he tried to deemphasize it, he consistently said yes, if you could find someone else you could see them. On day one this was debunked. And then the guy goes radio silent and you hear absolutely nothing from them after launch.

They also shut down the early release streaming of the game partly because of the massive day one patch, so if you preordered you weren't going to get much of a preview. It's more a lesson not to preorder unless you're sure you love the franchise, as I agree it wasn't enough to demand refunds over it.

Old 09-11-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are so many copies of the LE version available through AWD. Ranging between $48.01 to $57.61. Some are still factory sealed as well. I wonder if that is how they are trying to dump stock on the returns and trade ins.
Old 09-12-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The only "multiplayer" I would care about in this game is actually being able to see another player if you happen to be in the same place as them. I don't need to be able to bring friends along to collect emeril, gold etc.
Old 09-13-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Found this guy last night, had never ran into anything like him before that lol

Old 09-13-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Moleman the Hedgehog
Old 09-16-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To hear that someone at Sony addressed the PR and marketing of this game before some of the other disasters they are juggling now, backpedaling on the Fallout 4 mods, is surprising.
Old 09-28-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now this is just ri-goddamn-diculous!

No Man’s Sky is being investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority (UK) for false advertising

What a bunch of shit! You may not like the game, but don't put that on the ads. Jesus, I can think of countless movies that were not what they were advertised as - should we sue them too?
Old 09-28-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We get bits in trailers that don't end up in the finished version of a movie. Can we sue over that? When will this absurdity end?
Old 09-28-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
We get bits in trailers that don't end up in the finished version of a movie. Can we sue over that? When will this absurdity end?
Hell, some lady sued because the Drive trailer sold the movie as fast paced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.