DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

This game would be perfect for PS VR.
Old 08-13-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

So far feeding the wildlife I've got.....

Aluminum, Chrysonite, Emeril, Nickel, Platinum, Titanium, Zinc, Calium, Plutonium and two Purple very rare items. Almost all have been like in quantities of 4-6. I had a small petting zoo for awhile. Once you feed them they just hang around or wait for more. I had three different animals at one time and they were all just walking right around me like nothing. Those babies are quick and make sure you have Heridium or at least that's what they like from me on.
Old 08-13-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well I played for an hour last night and an hour today. I managed to buy a better ship last night. I had found a couple of crashed ships, but they were actually worse than the starter ship. I did see a ship selling for 6 million that had a large amount of slots. Gotta do some saving for that. Today I managed to find a new gun and then 30 mins later got rewarded by an even better gun from an alien I helped. I have jumped about 2 systems along in the last day and these last two have been rather mundane. I have seen oceans for the first time...nothing special. I did end my game this morning by coming out of hyperspace and immediately being set upon by 4 pirate ships. I flew down to the nearest planet and they followed me attacking all the way. I ended up landing and they left. Not upgraded my ship too much, so taking on two ships is fine, but more can be a handful.
Old 08-13-16, 05:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
How far do you have to travel from your ship to make major discoveries? I don't want to be walking for an hour just to get back there after going over hill after hill and not seeing much just to learn an alien word or to see some strange little creature.
You can also explore from within the ship (once it's fixed).
Old 08-13-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

As long as you are able to keep adding more launch fuel.
Old 08-13-16, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Having not much luck with the game. I was playing successfully for about 30 minutes then it crashed and now every time I try and play it crashes after about 20 seconds of playing. I am hoping they release a patch soon as I would like to play it again.
Old 08-13-16, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by marka351
Having not much luck with the game. I was playing successfully for about 30 minutes then it crashed and now every time I try and play it crashes after about 20 seconds of playing. I am hoping they release a patch soon as I would like to play it again.
Is that on the PC or PS4? I only had one crash, and that was after I died and it was trying to reload the previous save.
Old 08-13-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wxh6k25v2Ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-13-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Decided to pick this up on a whim this morning and having a lot of fun so far. Played for about 3 hours, met 8 aliens, got some cool stuff, and just did my first hyperspace jump.
Old 08-13-16, 08:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Is that on the PC or PS4? I only had one crash, and that was after I died and it was trying to reload the previous save.
It is on the PC, I have no idea why it keeps crashing. I have ensured that all my drivers are updated, my computer specs should play this easily. It runs Witcher 3 perfectly.
Old 08-14-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Found a planet that has caves just littered with vortex cubes

Old 08-14-16, 02:24 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

about 8 to 10 hours in...having a blast.
Old 08-14-16, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully someone can help me with this question....

I saw on a help topic that it's important that you string the right upgrades together with your Multi-Tool so each buffs the one prior and after....

Make your Companion Units more powerful with item placement

http://www.polygon.com/no-mans-sky/2...nt-bonus-guide

I cannot figure out how to move the icons? You can easily with the materials and other items but the main items I cannot move...not in the suit, ship or multi-tool.
Old 08-14-16, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

Maybe you can't. Maybe you have to disassemble them and start over?

Also, as far as leaving your ship behind, don't be afraid. There are some settlements that have launchpads or little pods that can summon your ship for the price of one bypass chip. Those are easily made with ten iron and ten plutonium.
Old 08-14-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something like 16 hours in on the PC (although at least an hour of that time is while paused). The stuttering COMPLETELY went away after like 2 hours on the first planet, but it seems like it basically resets every time you get to a new planet. I have had like 4 or so crashes to the desktop, but luckily it's always right around when I've saved (coincidence?).

Something is seriously wrong with how they have implemented things on the PC side. They claimed the first hour of stuttering was due to shader compiling (PS4 has pre-compiled shaders), but it seems to do that on every planet, and there's no way that there can be THAT many unique shaders per planet. I have a feeling they are just recompiling the same shaders per each planet, or something else equally stupid. Also the damn gamepad input is tied to the frame rate, so say you rotate in place, you'll see it speed up and slow down while continuously holding left/right all the way. I've heard it's the same on the PS4 but it just isn't noticeable since the framerate is more consistent. That's some pretty amateur (oh I mean 'Indie') shit right there. Luckily this doesn't seem to be an issue with the keyboard/mouse.

That said, I'm still having a great time with this game. It definitely isn't for everyone though, that's for sure. I think I got to around 80% completion on the first planet after a few hours, decided it was time to see Space, and I haven't looked back since. I pretty much only check out one or maybe two planets per system, and just keep moving. The game just seems designed to keep moving, if you are at all interested in getting the Atlas cards as well as getting to the center of the universe before you die of old age.

One thing I've been doing is switching between the keyboard/mouse while on foot and gamepad while flying. I just find flying impossible with the mouse, and with the above mentioned gamepad issues, and the inventory just being a lot easier with a mouse, it just works a lot better that way.

Last edited by flashburn; 08-14-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-14-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Hopefully someone can help me with this question....

I saw on a help topic that it's important that you string the right upgrades together with your Multi-Tool so each buffs the one prior and after....

Make your Companion Units more powerful with item placement

http://www.polygon.com/no-mans-sky/2...nt-bonus-guide

I cannot figure out how to move the icons? You can easily with the materials and other items but the main items I cannot move...not in the suit, ship or multi-tool.
You can't move upgrades. Sucks, I know. At least you get some of the resources back from dismantling.
Old 08-14-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by james2025a
Well I played for an hour last night and an hour today. I managed to buy a better ship last night. I had found a couple of crashed ships, but they were actually worse than the starter ship. I did see a ship selling for 6 million that had a large amount of slots. Gotta do some saving for that. Today I managed to find a new gun and then 30 mins later got rewarded by an even better gun from an alien I helped. I have jumped about 2 systems along in the last day and these last two have been rather mundane. I have seen oceans for the first time...nothing special. I did end my game this morning by coming out of hyperspace and immediately being set upon by 4 pirate ships. I flew down to the nearest planet and they followed me attacking all the way. I ended up landing and they left. Not upgraded my ship too much, so taking on two ships is fine, but more can be a handful.

I'm on my third Multi-Tool and that happened......I found one slightly better, then another that was even better than it and right after that a lien offered one that had 10 slots with better stats compared to the 8 slots I just got.

I flew up and then back down landing in a total different area with more places and stuff to see. I did get 100% complete but I've found a great resource to getting rich and figure just stay a bit more and get enough dough to buy a ship. Plus I found another 5 of those Triangle Pods with another slot and I think I'm up to 19-20 in my suit. Emeril I found is what I can make a lot on, even more than Gold. It sells at almost 247 per piece so x 500 that's $123.500. I'm trying to keep a few slots in my suit open and one main one in the ship so I can transfer and then hit up a Trader. Most of the green trading items seem to be $11k to $23k. I'm sure there's other ways but as long as I'm getting $$$, more slots, more Alien words its fine...but I guess I really need to go off world since I still don't have that Atlas Key.....which I assume I can find the outpost on my own?

Last edited by K&AJones; 08-14-16 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-14-16, 12:29 PM

I stumbled across a literal Gold Mine this morning. Right out of a Space Station there was a planet, barren of life, very few sentinels. Covered in Plutonium and with masses of gold, huge Emril boulders and these Vortex cubes scattered around.
Now all game progress is put on hold as I mine to my heart's content, recharge with the ample plutonium and shuttle freight back to the nearby Space Station. Can't decide if I should now grab an incrementally bigger ship so I can haul more freight or wait and get a huge ship next. Wish you got something for your old ship, but of course you don't.
Old 08-14-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Forgot to ask this...what's the best way to blow open doors at Manufacturing Facilities? My Mining Laser is good but I don't have much on the weapon side though I can build a Grenade Launcher. And what about ammo....how and where does that come from?
Old 08-14-16, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Forgot to ask this...what's the best way to blow open doors at Manufacturing Facilities? My Mining Laser is good but I don't have much on the weapon side though I can build a Grenade Launcher. And what about ammo....how and where does that come from?
A bolt caster upgrade gives you bullet like projectiles. That or grenades will work. You switch between mining beam and bolts with the triangle button.
You will alert sentry bots when you start firing at the door, so be ready and reload with X.
You recharge with carbon or plutonium
Old 08-14-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I found another multi-tool that's even better than the one I have but I'm resisting and going to put on a Plasma Grenade Launcher with two upgrades. I've continued to find more Suit slot upgrades...I'm up to 27 now.

I am ticked, I did find a slightly better crashed ship but I was full and couldn't make the repair to the liftoff part. I didn't fly hardly far to a Trader, unloaded, turned around and couldn't find the ship.....%#@!&*$.......I did passed the 80 Alien Words mark

Update....I guess not finding the wrecked ship was a blessing....I was at a Shelter with a Trader & Alien and just was about to leave when another ship landed....thankfully I didn't hit the landing pad. A bigger and better ship that what that tiny "Smart Car" looking matchbox I got at the beginning. I went over, hit make an offer and it had 22 slots compared to my 14. I was expecting 2-4 million maybe....but it was $782,000! I had just $2 Million thinking I'd need at least $4mil just to get a decent ship. What a relief to get something like this with some better specs and 8 more slots. Now just to work on loot.....

Last edited by K&AJones; 08-14-16 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-14-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I have only been to 2 planets so far, but my starter planet has some pretty cool dinasaur-like creatures:

Spoiler:

I can't feed them, but they don't attack or anything. They don't seem bothered at all by my presence.
Old 08-14-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

I've had about four crashes and two times I've fallen through the ground and had to reload.
Old 08-14-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That second one is out-of-this-world...wow....

I wonder since it seems we have a decent amount playing if we should have a on-line community so everyone can post....but then again there are few here on the PC. I'm sure we're all seeing stuff we would like others to see. I've seen some animals but none like that second....

...oh, in case you come across flying ones and you cannot tag, I read someone would just use the Mining Laser and bring them down and you can still tag it....it worked for me. Mine looked like some form of Squirrel with wings and Yellowjacket tail....

...I've had two lockups in the middle of playing and had to reboot but that's it.
Old 08-14-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks for the tip, I do have some flyers that I haven't been able to scan and are probably what's keeping me from hitting 100% on this planet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.