Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm thinking less that and more because the Xbox 360 managed to sell nearly double what the Wii U did in the same week. But then there are more 360s out there, they are cheaper, and have a richer library - but it's also a 7 year old (almost to the day) console.
An analyst in this article brings up a good point:
IDC research manager Lewis Ward brought up a good point, recalling when the PS2's initial sales exceeded the original Wii.

"Look at this another way: In late 2006, PS2 sales exceeded those of the Wii by a healthy margin - does that mean Nintendo should have thrown in the towel on Wii? Of course not," Ward defended. "We've just seen the launch of brand new platform that will have growing pains and it's like judging a book by its cover in the extreme to draw long-term conclusions from Black Friday sales alone."
Old 11-29-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add the rest here while the family is out to lunch.
Old 11-29-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question:

I set up my account last night and made the Nintendo ID for myself as well. Three other people in my household will probably want profiles on the system too, but don't have much interest in creating an online ID. Does that prevent them from using stuff like Netflix unless they use my profile?
Old 11-29-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Yep, not a good launch. But I bought it for Bayonetta 2, and because shiny.
I really like Bayonetta but not enough to buy a new console for it.

I am hoping that Platinum Games/SEGA will port to other consoles once its "exclusivity" runs out. It would be foolish not to re-brand it with exclusives for each console.

For the Wii there were articles and news reports everywhere creating a greater/false demand. There was a Wii Fit. Lots of new experiences on the Wii.

There was no buzz or reason to buy a WiiU. Tablet controller? People play these types of games on their phones and pads already. Why do you need another $300 device to do that to solely play Nintendo games? There is nothing new about that experience to justify it for me right now.
Old 11-29-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I expect the Wii U to follow the pattern of the DS and the 3DS: sort of a lackluster launch, followed by greater success once game developers get comfortable with the system and figure out what to do with it, and once the mass audience understands exactly what it is. I'm happy with the early offerings, and it certainly has a lot of potential. Honestly, just give me new 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pikmin games in HD and I'll be happy. Any other third party stuff on top of that is just icing on the cake.

It might be a different story if the Wii U was your only console, but for those who also have a 360, a PS3, or both, I think the Wii U fills a very specific niche.
Old 11-29-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee
There was no buzz or reason to buy a WiiU. Tablet controller? People play these types of games on their phones and pads already. Why do you need another $300 device to do that to solely play Nintendo games? There is nothing new about that experience to justify it for me right now.
This is something I agreed with initially but disagree with now, the implementation of the second screen + touch is pretty impressive. Having console graphics and game play on a portable screen is oddly handy, despite the gamepad looking goofy as hell. I'm sure it works just as well on the PS3 + Vita but I have more faith in Nintendo sticking to an idea than Sony.
Old 11-29-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

This is something I agreed with initially but disagree with now, the implementation of the second screen + touch is pretty impressive. Having console graphics and game play on a portable screen is oddly handy, despite the gamepad looking goofy as hell. I'm sure it works just as well on the PS3 + Vita but I have more faith in Nintendo sticking to an idea than Sony.

The only time I can remember using remote play on my PSP was with Lair (which sucked without a second analog stick) and with PS1 games. I just looked it up and the selection is tiny, although i didn't know that Ico collection and GOW collection were playable on the Vita screen.

I'm sure Sony will try to do more of that now, but the problem is that it's still an optional accessory/separate console. Even Nintendo as far back as the Gamecube had integrated play with the GBA (notably Animal Crossing and Pacman vs., which is what that one WiiU tag minigame reminds me of) but support wasn't very widespread.

It's a good thing that Nintendo's strength has been software. There are a lot of Wii games that I enjoyed only via the Classic controller, DS games that I love that barely use the second screen, and if I'm totally honest I rarely use the 3D on my 3DS. But each system has games I want to play.
Old 11-29-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Honestly, just give me new 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pikmin games in HD and I'll be happy. Any other third party stuff on top of that is just icing on the cake.
Castlevania and Animal Crossing details and I'd be interested in budgeting for a future purchase.
Old 11-29-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is something I agreed with initially but disagree with now, the implementation of the second screen + touch is pretty impressive.
For me...If you could use the controller as a portable gaming device that you could untie from the WiiU then that would be something impressive.
Old 11-29-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still confused why they didn't build it around using a 3DS as input. Create an ecosystem, Nintendo.
Old 11-29-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wii U has been worth the purchase to me so far just for NSMBU and ZombiU.

I haven't really gone on and on about NSMBU, but I LOVE it. Other than the recycled music, it's incredible in every way that a really good Mario game is. Not to mention the extras with the challenges and all of that. Then with ZombiU, just wow, I love it more and more each time I play it. Talk about being full of dread for almost every second you are playing. The gamepad functionality is awesome as well, and that one single game totally sold me on it. Heck, the functionality of it in Mario made me that much more of a believer as well. I am very, very excited for the future of this system.
Old 11-29-12, 03:34 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was going to buy one if i won the 585 million dollar powerball, but I didn't
Old 11-29-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm still confused why they didn't build it around using a 3DS as input. Create an ecosystem, Nintendo.
I was thinking that as well. Imagine if the 3DS XL was the same size as the GamePad and had the same buttons and sticks. Although it would be less portable than the standard 3DS, it would be a terrific handheld system with better controls.

The problem is, the price of the system would go up because you'd have to include a full-blown 3DS with it. If I'm not mistaken, the cost of the GamePad is cheaper because it doesn't have the processing power or storage needed to run and store games.

Although, they could have released an SKU with just the console, for those that already had a 3DS.
Old 11-29-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, I'm just to fat and lazy to hold my own controller that I need a stand for it.
Old 11-29-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I want this for my gamepad:

I still don't see them in stores.
Old 11-29-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nintendo Power has now gone full circle. Here is the cover of the final issue...

[/QUOTE]

It, it sorta makes me sad. Mario jumping for that final flag pole.

Last edited by Brent L; 11-29-12 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I know they aren't going to show their hand this early but Mario, Kirby, Zelda & Donkey Kong?

These are all games we've played in the last 12 months. Bring out some stuff we didn't play on the Wii. Come on F-Zero. Waverace. Eternal Darkness. Hell, send Ubisoft a briefcase full of money for Beyond Good & Evil 2.
Old 11-30-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, I finally gave the WiiU some more time last night. Knocked out the first 3 worlds in Mario. The game is fantastic, but it's still lacking originality, or at least something fresh. Coming out on the heels of the incredibly fun and original Rayman Origins last year, Mario's formula is just showing its age.

Set the internet back up, after having shut if off due to Nintendoland locking up last week. Figured I'd venture into MiiVerse to finally see what the hoopla is all about.... and it froze up. No buzz, just stuck on the MiiVerse logo screen for 10 minutes.
Old 11-30-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Are you guys seeing these E3 rumors? It sounds like Nintendo is going to blow away the competition. Sony and Microsoft will both be revealing their new consoles, with Microsoft's supposedly being the most powerful. The new playstation has some new VR headset to wear and the xbox can project virtual environments for you to play in. Plus, the new xbox is being rushed to market with a soft launch.

I think we're going to have a repeat of the E3 where Sony showed off Move and Microsoft focused on Kinect. Nintendo blew them both away at that one and focused mostly on their games.

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rum...wear-next-gen/
Dude, do you work for Nintendo? Seriously.

I HIGHLY doubt Microsoft is rushing anything to the market after, what, 8 years into the current development cycle? Kinect is about the only thing they half baked and it's not too awful.

The PS4 or whatever it will be called could be the odd man out. It's not going to offer anything the Xbox and Wii U can't do and Move was a disaster. A VR headset (if true) is not going in my house.

Overall I'm intrigued by the Wii U but only for the kids. As an adult I love the Xbox 360 over my PS3 and Wii. The controller, Live and handling of online is perfect IMO.
Old 11-30-12, 07:57 AM

Fatal Frame for Wii U has me all tingly inside! lol...
Old 11-30-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Doubtful that will come out any time soon. Although Silicon Knights were working on concepts for a sequel, the company isn't doing well right now and most of the people that designed the original are gone.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...to-five-staff/
Brutal. Nintendo could buy it though and still make it happen.
Old 11-30-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, the overscan on this thing is brutal. Coupled with the fact that you can only adjust it within the eShop or in the Wiiverse apps? Bad move Nintendo, bad move.
Old 11-30-12, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
These are all games we've played in the last 12 months. Bring out some stuff we didn't play on the Wii. Come on F-Zero. Waverace. Eternal Darkness. Hell, send Ubisoft a briefcase full of money for Beyond Good & Evil 2.
You mean games that haven't sold well in the past?

I think Nintendo sticking to what works is good. I mean, they were the #1 console last generation taking the crown away from #1 Sony and pushing it to #3.
Old 11-30-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You mean games that haven't sold well in the past?
Sure, effectively pushing aside the crowd that built their company by chasing soccer moms that won't be around this time out. So yeah, focusing on more than three characters to draw in the people they abandoned the past 5 years would be nice. Proving they are going to offer more than a Mario/Zelda machine is key. WaveRace, ED, F-Zero, & BG&E may not sell like a Mario, but a stable of games like that will convince Wii haters to return.

Also, I'd imagine any of the 4 games I mentioned have a better shot at success over Bayonetta 2.
Old 11-30-12, 01:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's there now.
Thanks, I'll grab it later.

Originally Posted by M Polo
Fatal Frame for Wii U has me all tingly inside! lol...
Oh man, I just filled the cup.

Meanwhile, I was playing AC3 on remote play yesterday. It still astonishes me that the thing works. And then I got some massive frame rate drops and screen tearing, which never happened while playing the game on the TV. I am disappoint.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.