Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Fallout New Vegas Announced

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fallout New Vegas Announced

As part of its world-exclusive cover feature, PSM3 played an extensive demo of New Vegas. The mag reported that it was 'apparent that Obsidian are much more comfortable behind the keyboard than the team that made Fallout 3 and, before that, Oblivion. The scripting is wittier, the characters more distinct.'

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=234110
Old 02-08-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

All these changes sound good to me. I enjoyed the hell out of Fallout 3, but I also didn't overlook its many flaws. Anything they do to make it feel more like my decisions in the game actually make a difference one way or the other is a good thing.
Old 02-09-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree with everything foxdvd said.

I was watching the dvd that was included with the LE of Fallout 3 and it was kinda funny when they were interviewing the producer and he said he hoped that same as they were known as the Oblivion guys, they would, if the game had success, known as the Fallout guys in the future. He had no idea!

And regarding some other comments, to make it worse for you RPG lovers, I've never played Oblivion (or any of the Elder Scrolls games) and I'm really not interested in that game. Two things called my attention from Fallout 3: post apocalyptic future and the 50's settings. And that it can be handled like an FPS lite. And yeah, I know that's what you hated about it.
Old 02-09-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3
And regarding some other comments, to make it worse for you RPG lovers, I've never played Oblivion (or any of the Elder Scrolls games) and I'm really not interested in that game. Two things called my attention from Fallout 3: post apocalyptic future and the 50's settings. And that it can be handled like an FPS lite. And yeah, I know that's what you hated about it.
Why so condescending? Different people like different genres. And I don't see anyone here not saying Fallout 3 wasn't, at the very least, a good game.
Old 02-09-10, 12:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

If I have any real complaint about Fallout 3, it's the dialog; both how it was written and how it was spoken.

That said, it's still my favourite game of all time.
Old 02-09-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not get into it. I always made it to the first town and stopped playing. I really am not sure what everyone else sees in this game. I'm obviously the only one though lol.
Old 02-09-10, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just grabbed Fallout 1 (via an "alternative" route)...any suggestions for how to go about playing it? I played for about 10 minutes and I was almost getting killed by damn rats right outside the vault.
Old 02-09-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
I just grabbed Fallout 1 (via an "alternative" route).
Dude, come on: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout/

DRM-free. $5.99.
Old 02-09-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I just grabbed Fallout 1 (via an "alternative" route)...any suggestions for how to go about playing it? I played for about 10 minutes and I was almost getting killed by damn rats right outside the vault.
Unlike Fallout 3, your stats matter a lot more so the number of Action Points and Health are pretty useful in the beginning. It's a little weird to play a turned based RPG to start, but move slowly and try and take on one enemy at a time else it will be tough, and get close enough to attack them before they attack you.
Old 02-09-10, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Dude, come on: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout/

DRM-free. $5.99.
Good call, didn't even think of it - I haven't played a PC game in probably 10 years, forgot buying them and downloading them online was even an option.

So any play suggestions, type of character to use, whatever?
Old 02-09-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I could not get into it. I always made it to the first town and stopped playing. I really am not sure what everyone else sees in this game. I'm obviously the only one though lol.
The game really opens up once you get past the first town. I suggest you keep playing after and if you still don't like it then its just not the game for you.
Old 02-09-10, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like fumanstan said, your stats matter a whole lot more in 1 and 2. However you can still pretty much play however you want. You can even do a completely pacifist run since you can literally go through the entire game without killing a single enemy. You can play a "mentally challenged" character that cannot even talk properly and most other characters will either ignore you or not talk to you at all. There are hundreds of ways to play the game.

Anyway, you probably want a combat-orientated character for your first playthrough, so I suggest maxing out Agility. This is the most important stat of all. You get one AP (Action Point) for every point of Agility, and it is very important to have a lot of AP to able to do more things per round.

Also, there are surgeries you can get later on that increase a SPECIAL stat by one point per surgery. Luck is the only stat that can't be increased by surgery if I remember right, but Luck can be increased by playing tarot cards in a city. These surgeries are very expensive and you probably won't get them until 3/4 of the way through the game, so I still recommend maxing out Agility at the beginning. Keep in mind though that while the Agility-increasing surgery will increase your stat to an 11, there is absolutely no benefit to having above a 10 in any stat. So that surgery will just become a waste of money.

Strength isn't all that important. 6 Strength is more than adequate. The only guns that require more than 6 Strength are big guns, and big guns aren't very good in Fallout 1. Small guns will get you through the first half of the game easily, and energy weapons (especially the turbo plasma rifle) are extremely powerful. Power Armor gives you +3 Strength, so that combined with the +1 Strength surgery will max out your Strength.

Perception isn't hugely important, even for a long range sniper character. You can take your gun skills well beyond 100% easily, and this more than makes up for a lack of Perception. Do not however put Perception too low because than your sequence in the round is so slow that quicker characters will sometimes get to act twice in a row.

Endurance is the most useless stat. Hit points matter very little in Fallout 1 and 2. Critical hits will literally kill you in one shot even with maximum hit points. That is really my only beef with Fallout 1 and 2 is that critical hits were waaaaay too freaking overpowered. A critical hit will kill anything in one shot unless it is a boss.

Charisma is really only important if you want to play a persuasive character that can talk his way out of things.

Intelligence is the second most useful stat after Agility. Intelligence opens up new conversation options and also increases your skill points. Playing a character with less than 4 Intelligence is the funniest thing ever, although it is a bit difficult since most npcs won't talk to you so you won't be able to do many sidequests.

Luck is good for critical hits and also getting special random encounters.

As for the optional traits, I almost always take Gifted. The penalty of reduced skill points isn't that big a deal at all compared to +1 to each SPECIAL stat. Plus with a high Intelligence, you will be getting tons of skill points anyway. Gifted is borderline overpowered. The rest of the traits have their uses, but the penalties are much more severe too. Bloody Mess is really the only trait that has no penalty. Do not take Fast Shot. It sounds good since it reduces the AP of weapons by one point, but the penalty of not being able to do targeted shots is huge. Targeted shots are how you roll in the critical hits. A targeted shot to the eyes has something like a 75% chance of being a critical hit, and this percentage chance will stack with Luck and other bonuses.

You can tag three skills. That means every time you put a new point in them when leveling up, you actually get double the benefit. Good skills to have would be small guns, energy weapons, lockpick, repair, science, and speech.

Small guns will be your primary weapons for a long time, unless you want to go the melee route. Melee is a lot harder to play though.

Big guns are crap. The ammo for these guns weighs a lot. One canister of fuel for the flamethrower weighs something like 20 lbs. The ammo is also more scarce, which can be a problem with the minigun which chews through ammo like crazy. I never bother with big guns unless I just want to "roleplay" a big gun guy.

Energy weapons are extremely powerful, although they are very rare up until you start encountering mutants regularly. There is also a Tag! perk that you can choose later on (you get a perk every three levels) that lets you pick a fourth tagged skill. Energy weapons is perfect for this since you won't be using energy weapons until the second of the game.

Lockpicking isn't essential, but it can make your life a whole lot easier.

Science and repair are both used frequently throughout the game. There are books you can find and/or buy that increase these stats up to 90% max. To get them above 90%, you have to increase them manually. The library in the Hub sells unlimited books. This can get expensive though.

Speech is great for opening new conversation options and also being able to talk your way out of things. A couple sidequests will require Speech.

Gambling is fun, but it is kind of cheating. With 100% Gambling, you never lose at all. It is a quick and cheating way to increase your money supply.

As for the rats at the beginning of the game, do not waste bullets on them. Your ammo is very limited at the beginning. Use the knife. Even without any skill points in melee weapons, you should still have about a 40% chance to hit them. With maxed out Agility, you will have 10 AP. A swing of the knife takes 3 AP. You can get two swings in and have 4 AP left. Use the 4 AP to run away. The rats don't have as many AP, so they will spend all their AP trying to run after you and won't have enough left to actually attack you. It can be time consuming to do this, but it will guarantee you never even be attacked. You don't need to kill the rats either. It is completely optional.

You have to be somewhat tactical in Fallout 1 and 2. Simple run-n-gunning will get you killed quick. Hide behind walls to end your round. Make the enemy run after you and waste his AP. Use chokepoints. Stuff like that.

That's all I can think of for now. I really didn't mean to write a novel when I first started this post...
Old 02-09-10, 06:08 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Like fumanstan said, your stats matter a whole lot more in 1 and 2. However you can still pretty much play however you want. You can even do a completely pacifist run since you can literally go through the entire game without killing a single enemy. You can play a "mentally challenged" character that cannot even talk properly and most other characters will either ignore you or not talk to you at all. There are hundreds of ways to play the game.

Anyway, you probably want a combat-orientated character for your first playthrough, so I suggest maxing out Agility. This is the most important stat of all. You get one AP (Action Point) for every point of Agility, and it is very important to have a lot of AP to able to do more things per round.

Also, there are surgeries you can get later on that increase a SPECIAL stat by one point per surgery. Luck is the only stat that can't be increased by surgery if I remember right, but Luck can be increased by playing tarot cards in a city. These surgeries are very expensive and you probably won't get them until 3/4 of the way through the game, so I still recommend maxing out Agility at the beginning. Keep in mind though that while the Agility-increasing surgery will increase your stat to an 11, there is absolutely no benefit to having above a 10 in any stat. So that surgery will just become a waste of money.

Strength isn't all that important. 6 Strength is more than adequate. The only guns that require more than 6 Strength are big guns, and big guns aren't very good in Fallout 1. Small guns will get you through the first half of the game easily, and energy weapons (especially the turbo plasma rifle) are extremely powerful. Power Armor gives you +3 Strength, so that combined with the +1 Strength surgery will max out your Strength.

Perception isn't hugely important, even for a long range sniper character. You can take your gun skills well beyond 100% easily, and this more than makes up for a lack of Perception. Do not however put Perception too low because than your sequence in the round is so slow that quicker characters will sometimes get to act twice in a row.

Endurance is the most useless stat. Hit points matter very little in Fallout 1 and 2. Critical hits will literally kill you in one shot even with maximum hit points. That is really my only beef with Fallout 1 and 2 is that critical hits were waaaaay too freaking overpowered. A critical hit will kill anything in one shot unless it is a boss.

Charisma is really only important if you want to play a persuasive character that can talk his way out of things.

Intelligence is the second most useful stat after Agility. Intelligence opens up new conversation options and also increases your skill points. Playing a character with less than 4 Intelligence is the funniest thing ever, although it is a bit difficult since most npcs won't talk to you so you won't be able to do many sidequests.

Luck is good for critical hits and also getting special random encounters.

As for the optional traits, I almost always take Gifted. The penalty of reduced skill points isn't that big a deal at all compared to +1 to each SPECIAL stat. Plus with a high Intelligence, you will be getting tons of skill points anyway. Gifted is borderline overpowered. The rest of the traits have their uses, but the penalties are much more severe too. Bloody Mess is really the only trait that has no penalty. Do not take Fast Shot. It sounds good since it reduces the AP of weapons by one point, but the penalty of not being able to do targeted shots is huge. Targeted shots are how you roll in the critical hits. A targeted shot to the eyes has something like a 75% chance of being a critical hit, and this percentage chance will stack with Luck and other bonuses.

You can tag three skills. That means every time you put a new point in them when leveling up, you actually get double the benefit. Good skills to have would be small guns, energy weapons, lockpick, repair, science, and speech.

Small guns will be your primary weapons for a long time, unless you want to go the melee route. Melee is a lot harder to play though.

Big guns are crap. The ammo for these guns weighs a lot. One canister of fuel for the flamethrower weighs something like 20 lbs. The ammo is also more scarce, which can be a problem with the minigun which chews through ammo like crazy. I never bother with big guns unless I just want to "roleplay" a big gun guy.

Energy weapons are extremely powerful, although they are very rare up until you start encountering mutants regularly. There is also a Tag! perk that you can choose later on (you get a perk every three levels) that lets you pick a fourth tagged skill. Energy weapons is perfect for this since you won't be using energy weapons until the second of the game.

Lockpicking isn't essential, but it can make your life a whole lot easier.

Science and repair are both used frequently throughout the game. There are books you can find and/or buy that increase these stats up to 90% max. To get them above 90%, you have to increase them manually. The library in the Hub sells unlimited books. This can get expensive though.

Speech is great for opening new conversation options and also being able to talk your way out of things. A couple sidequests will require Speech.

Gambling is fun, but it is kind of cheating. With 100% Gambling, you never lose at all. It is a quick and cheating way to increase your money supply.

As for the rats at the beginning of the game, do not waste bullets on them. Your ammo is very limited at the beginning. Use the knife. Even without any skill points in melee weapons, you should still have about a 40% chance to hit them. With maxed out Agility, you will have 10 AP. A swing of the knife takes 3 AP. You can get two swings in and have 4 AP left. Use the 4 AP to run away. The rats don't have as many AP, so they will spend all their AP trying to run after you and won't have enough left to actually attack you. It can be time consuming to do this, but it will guarantee you never even be attacked. You don't need to kill the rats either. It is completely optional.

You have to be somewhat tactical in Fallout 1 and 2. Simple run-n-gunning will get you killed quick. Hide behind walls to end your round. Make the enemy run after you and waste his AP. Use chokepoints. Stuff like that.

That's all I can think of for now. I really didn't mean to write a novel when I first started this post...
having played the game this does nothing for me, but this is truly one of the most helpful, thoughtful posts I have seen for a long time at dvdtalk. Bravo kgrogers...

...it also makes me want to see if I can find an old copy of Fallout 1 to play again...god I wish they would put these, and Baldur's gate up on XBLA ....
Old 02-09-10, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by foxdvd
having played the game this does nothing for me, but this is truly one of the most helpful, thoughtful posts I have seen for a long time at dvdtalk. Bravo kgrogers...

...it also makes me want to see if I can find an old copy of Fallout 1 to play again...god I wish they would put these, and Baldur's gate up on XBLA ....
Yes, thanks a ton kgrogers!
Old 02-09-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd

I think both Fallouts are on Gametap.
Old 02-09-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

As mentioned previously, I highly recommend gog.com

They also have a "Fallout Trilogy" retail box in stores too. I've seen it at Target.
Old 02-09-10, 11:29 PM
gamer for life

I might just do that, after Bioshock...I know I have these game though in a box some place....but 5 bucks is cheap enough.
Old 02-14-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23740
Old 02-14-10, 12:35 PM
gamer for life

so much of what they are saying is exactly what I want to hear....
Old 02-16-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1069586p1.html
Old 04-30-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

New preview.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1087126p1.html
Old 05-04-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

new screenshots

Old 05-04-10, 05:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Can't wait!

I've been trying to finish the Fallout 3 expansion packs lately. Done Operation: Anchorage and The Pitt. Working my way through Broken Steel...
Spoiler:
Just got the Tesla Cannon and I'm trying to get to the air base, but having a hard time staying alive. How much further until I'm done this one??

Fallout: New Vegas will be a day one purchase for me. I really hope there's a cool special edition like Fallout 3. I still love my bobblehead and lunch box.
Old 05-04-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Can't wait!

I've been trying to finish the Fallout 3 expansion packs lately. Done Operation: Anchorage and The Pitt. Working my way through Broken Steel...
Spoiler:
Just got the Tesla Cannon and I'm trying to get to the air base, but having a hard time staying alive. How much further until I'm done this one??

Fallout: New Vegas will be a day one purchase for me. I really hope there's a cool special edition like Fallout 3. I still love my bobblehead and lunch box.
you're very close to the end IIRC.
Old 05-04-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cannot wait for this game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.