Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been laughing my ass off at all the complaints about the controls. I think they're fantastic.
Old 05-06-08, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-06-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by outcastja
That's the last mission I completed, did you try using a car instead of the bike?
I tried once, I wasn't that far behind and it said he got away, so I figured hopping in the car nixed the mission.
Old 05-06-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you having problems with the controls, I highly recommend spending a few hours with your cell phone on sleep mode (it puts the storyline and phone calls to you on hold, but you can still call people for help or to take them out), and just driving/walking/fighting all over the town to help you get a handle on everything. If you need help with the cover system, go to the hospital and start a shootout, since the place is packed with stuff to practice with. If you need help with driving, test out all of the vehicles you see to help you get used to the different types.

And on and on.

I know this is a basic idea, but it's how I wrapped my head around everything.
Old 05-06-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
So Niko slooows down to a walk to answer the phone call, which means I can no longer run.
This is actually one of only a few minor issues I have with the game. It's only happened once or twice.

My biggest peave is not with the controls itself but with the sneaking(?) feature of Mr. Niko "Velcro Suit" Bellic. The feature where when near a wall and you hit the L1 (sorry, accustomed to PS2 controller assignments) button and he straddles the wall.

Well, yeah, when I'm in the middle of a fire fight while in FPS (target) mode next you know I'm stuck to the wall to the point where I can't move. So I break free and begin to move again, sneaking up upon the enemy. Next thing I know my sight i dead center on the rear of the enemy's head, I fire, and sure enough a see a chunk of fucking wall come flying out from the side of the screen close to me .... because I just got caught up in a different wall of velcro this time. And when this happens, as you all know, you can see your enemies but you can not always fire at them successfully.

This is why I wish more games would employ the technique used in Area 51, where the player could actually lean out from behind an object without actually walking/running. You lean out from cover, view your targets, fire, lean back. It's such a simple and realistic approach I don't understand why I don't see it used more in other games. GTA would be a another perfect game for this when in FPS mode. Nope, instead, you get stuck to walls and can't judge how far from the wall you actually are to be able to shoot at your targets.
Old 05-06-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I tried once, I wasn't that far behind and it said he got away, so I figured hopping in the car nixed the mission.

Try using the Turismo it's in the driveway of the guy's house that you're doing the mission for. You don't need to drive fast, just make sure the bike is always in distance, he'll eventually stop with his buddies.
Old 05-06-08, 08:16 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Has anyone been able to escape on foot from a 4 star rating? I haven't even been able to get 4 stars and trying to escape on foot from 3 stars was tough enough.
If you really want to escape them on foot specifically, walk into an subway station on the second island and start trucking down the tunnel. Most station platforms are far enough apart to escape any wanted level.
Old 05-06-08, 08:28 AM

Ok guys, where is the helicopter? I saw the helipads at the airport, but no choppers. I did see 2 additional landing pads in Manhatten. I think these belonged to the hospital and police station though.
Old 05-06-08, 08:33 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by House
Ok guys, where is the helicopter? I saw the helipads at the airport, but no choppers. I did see 2 additional landing pads in Manhatten. I think these belonged to the hospital and police station though.
There are choppers go out on tours on the second island. Bottom right hand side on the map.

There's also an attack chopper at the airport, but you get a lovely four star rating for trying to get near it.
Old 05-06-08, 08:38 AM

Is there a way to get on top of the hospital, to reach that helipad?

I did break into the police compound, but was promptly gunned down.
Old 05-06-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I FINALLY get to play this today!!!! Been away on vacation so I couldn't open it up. I'm off until the 12th so I'll get in plenty of play time. I can't wait to try it on-line either. Well, enough typing...time to play!
Old 05-06-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Three Leaf Clover" made the entire game worth it. Best mission in any GTA game.
Old 05-06-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a way to get on top of the hospital, to reach that helipad?
Fly a helicopter up there, duh.

Seriously though, which hospital?

I love, love, love this game.
Old 05-06-08, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Fly a helicopter up there, duh.

Seriously though, which hospital?

I love, love, love this game.
It's in Manhatten across the street from the Skytram, also by the bridge.

I discovered it by going on the roof of this sky scraper, right next to the air tram. The skycraper has a lift on it that you can take all the way to the top.

I love the game also! I played for like 4 hours last night and only did 1 mission.

Last edited by House; 05-06-08 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by outcastja
That's the last mission I completed, did you try using a car instead of the bike?
Get ready to pull your hair out when you get to "I Need Your Clothes, Boots and Motorcycle". Fuckin' A I had to start that over 12 times, and you have to drive to the start point again in a different burrough EVERY TIME.

I finally beat it in a creative way, because my bike skills are not that great.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 05-06-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
"Three Leaf Clover" made the entire game worth it. Best mission in any GTA game.
I mentioned this earlier too - I didn't even mind having to redo it a few times.
Old 05-06-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
That's another annoying thing. If you lose a mission it seems like you have to drive for 20 minutes just to start the mission over a game. I pretty much just hail cabs everywhere I go now.

I know I complain a lot, but if they would just tweak these things that seem obvious the game would be a hundred times better. Then it would actually deserve the praise it has been getting from critics.
Old 05-06-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What Flay said about the tour choppers.

I have been hitting the Airport constantly looking for the attack chopper, and I have never seen it on the ground. I was planning on flying under the bridges and lasting 5 mins. @ 6-star achievements at the same time.

As for the driving complaints, I really like driving, and have only cabbed a couple of times when drunk. What annoys the most about driving is the fact traffic always seems to appear in the lanes you are driving. I hate crossing the bridge because there is ALWAYS a line at the toll, so I go the wrong way and bust through the barricade!
Old 05-06-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Spoiler requested:
What's in the strip club (other than the obvious) and how do I get/find it? I've been twice, once I got one private dance, the other I got three in a row. The first time I also walked on a platform. They don't like that.
Old 05-06-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Spoiler requested:
What's in the strip club (other than the obvious) and how do I get/find it? I've been twice, once I got one private dance, the other I got three in a row. The first time I also walked on a platform. They don't like that.
Spoiler:

I know that if you get 3 dances in a row, you get a special dance for the third. The only other thing I found was a shotgun behind the employees only door.
Old 05-06-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I tried taking Michelle to the strip club, but there were no dancers walking around. That was a little disappointing. I wanted to see her reaction to my thinking that would be a great second date idea.
Old 05-06-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the driving too. I don't get the complaints. As long as you slow down before you turn it's fine. I drive everywhere. I've never taken a cab or public transport.
Old 05-06-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
I dig the driving.. I love taking sharp turns while the cops can't and regularly flip their car trying to follow me.

How often do you people check your email?
Old 05-06-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the "concrete jungle" mission is really pissing me off. so far, i've gotten killed twice at the house, and little jacob's been killed once. now i can't even get back there because it seems like there's cops around every time i take out the initial drug dealers.
Old 05-06-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
That's another annoying thing. If you lose a mission it seems like you have to drive for 20 minutes just to start the mission over a game. I pretty much just hail cabs everywhere I go now.

I know I complain a lot, but if they would just tweak these things that seem obvious the game would be a hundred times better. Then it would actually deserve the praise it has been getting from critics.
That was a major factor with my frustration above with "No Love Lost." I lost the guy on the motorcycle (with shitty controls) so when I start over I'm basically at the South of the map and have to drive to the complete north part of the map to redo the mission. Not only that but you lose the vehicle you left parked previously. It's like Burnout Paradise all over again. What is it with 'open world' that designers feel the need to remove the 'restart mission' function?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.