Game of Thrones (S6E05) -- "The Door" -- 5/22/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E05) -- "The Door" -- 5/22/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 08:56 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E05) -- "The Door" -- 5/22/16

Originally Posted by csant
Tormund has the hots for Brienne... The way he looked at her when they were riding off was absolutely hilarious.
Old 05-23-16, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I felt like Sansa was manipulating Jon a bit in the scene where they left Castle Black.

So Brienne is going back to the Riverlands. Hmm...

All of these lingering shots of Longclaw have made me wonder about House Mormont involvement and now if Jorah might be coming back to Westeros.

The ending of the episode messed me up a little.
Old 05-23-16, 09:01 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Some really interesting speculation from a reddit user (not really spoilers, but spoilered anyway just in case):

Spoiler:
Ok so I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this as a possibility but after tonight’s episode I’m leaning more towards it being a probability.

Bran and friends are the voices in the mad king’s head.

We’ve now seen Bran’s ability to influence the past (or, confirm it depending on how time travel paradoxes are solved in GOT). We’ve seen the link between the past and present BREAK Hodor’s mind, turning him into a simpleton. I don’t think madness is a far stretch from this.

If you remember Jaime’s testimony, the mad king just kept repeating “burn them all.” What if he didn’t mean King’s Landing and the rebels? What if Bran somehow either accidentally or purposefully lets him see the army of the dead? Someone could be yelling something akin to “burn them all” just like tonight’s “hold the door.”

In the season six trailer we see someone in shadow getting stabbed in the back. Lots of people think this is Jaime doing his stabby stabby kingslaying thing. The only time we see flashbacks are through Bran’s visions. A man going mad with voices in his head in a Bran flashback? I’ll be shocked if thats a coincidence.

On a more broad speculative front, I’m curious to see if Bran’s job is going to be making sure history happens the way it happened or something time lord-esque like that. The Tree Eyed Raven said it was time for Bran to “become him.” Was his job watching history and influencing it to make sure it happened how it was supposed to? Ahhhh time paradoxes. What an episode. Hold the door.

Also, from the first book:

Spoiler:
"I could tell you the story about Brandon the Builder," Old Nan said. "That was always your favorite."

Thousands and thousands of years ago, Brandon the Builder had raised Winterfell, and some said the Wall. Bran knew the story, but it had never been his favorite. Maybe one of the other Brandons had liked that story. Sometimes Nan would talk to him as if he were her Brandon, the baby she had nursed all those years ago, and sometimes she confused him with his uncle Brandon, who was killed by the Mad King before Bran was even born. She had lived so long, Mother had told him once, that all the Brandon Starks had become one person in her head.
Old 05-23-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Ha - thanks for the pic.

Just perfect.
Old 05-23-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Also not happy that another direwolf is gone.

That damn thing could be pulling the sled!
Old 05-23-16, 09:17 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

So all The Children are dead? because now that i think about it, the show never really got us to care about them at all (3 scenes between 2 seasons, besides showing them just scampering around?). and yet now they're the ones that brought about the white walkers? that part just fell flat for me.

Originally Posted by csant
What a great season so far... the pacing has been great.

Tormund has the hots for Brienne... The way he looked at her when they were riding off was absolutely hilarious.
Did you miss last week's dinner scene?

Old 05-23-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liked:
- Hodor, what a set up and delivery. I love moments that cause you to reflect back on the entire history of the character. How intelligent was he exactly? How much did he understand that he was heading to his doom?
- Varys looking rattled. He kept pushing even when Tyrion was trying to cut him off. Varys' ego finally got him in trouble. Very well played on both sides.
- Sansa and Littlefinger. Great to see Baelish squirm a bit for a change. Sansa probably should have had him killed, but who knows.
- The use of the same "ticking clock" score from "Hardhome" to signal the arrival of the zombie horde. Love that cue.
- The explanation of the White Walkers. I really like the idea of creating a weapon to save yourself that then becomes uncontrollable.

Didn't like as much:
- Arya's never ending training and questioning. Last week she drinks poison to demonstrate her will and this week she's right back to be questioned and beaten up? Move this forward, I beg you.
- Kingsmoot. Yara wasn't convincing and they've done very little to explain Euron's sudden appearance. The Iron Islands are seemingly just a plot device to get Dany home.
- Dany back to emoting and looking concerned. She's supposed to be this great conqueror, stop showing her as a girly girl.
- No inside the Tower of Joy scene. I guess they're going to drag that out a bit more.
Old 05-23-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Littlefinger was pretty rattled, too. At least it's as helpless as I can ever remember him being.
Plus Littlefinger's life was actually on the line. That meeting could have easily ended differently for him. For once his grand scheming blew up in his face and it wasn't at the hands of Varys.
Old 05-23-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure there's not something more to Littlefinger's plan. That doesn't seem like him to have so grossly miscalculated. It also seems very strange to me that Blackfish has supposedly taken Riverrun, but we haven't heard any mention of it anywhere. The only guy who knows is somebody who's been up the in Vale?

I think he has something else in the works.
Old 05-23-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Riveting final sequence. Some pretty tense moments.

Last 2 episodes have been awesome.

Poor Hodor.....Hold the Door.

The stuff with Bran being able to manipulate the past was a trip.
I do have to say, Bran was a fucking idiot for wandering by the whitewalkers by himself and letting the king touch him. But then if he never did that, there never would've been a Hodor...
Old 05-23-16, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mwbmis

All of these lingering shots of Longclaw have made me wonder about House Mormont involvement and now if Jorah might be coming back to Westeros.
Perhaps but I think we've seen the last of Jorah as far as this season is concerned.
Old 05-23-16, 10:06 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
I do have to say, Bran was a fucking idiot for wandering by the whitewalkers by himself and letting the king touch him. But then if he never did that, there never would've been a Hodor...
he probably didn't know it was possible for the walker to touch him and what the ramification would be.

what fcking sucks is hodor got turned into what he is by the person who he was dedicated to protect.

how many non-assholes are left on the show? Gendry? Pod? Hot Pie? Bianca?
Old 05-23-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
Perhaps but I think we've seen the last of Jorah as far as this season is concerned.
Probably, but:

1. His search for a cure alone probably isn't interesting enough to film. Plus, assuming he does find a cure of some sort and is able to return to Dany (which is a probability), his return will be all that more dramatic if the audience doesn't know it is coming.

2. Unless he serves some other purpose, such as pointing the way to Dany for Yara/Theon or something like that. Presumably, Jorah will be heading back to one of the major coastal cities to try and find a cure for himself, so running into one of the Greyjoys doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.
Old 05-23-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
So all The Children are dead? because now that i think about it, the show never really got us to care about them at all (3 scenes between 2 seasons, besides showing them just scampering around?). and yet now they're the ones that brought about the white walkers? that part just fell flat for me.

Did you miss last week's dinner scene?

Sure, I did... but this episode one was hilarious too.
Old 05-23-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So I guess Hodor has always been a misspelling. It should be spelled Hodoor.
Old 05-23-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was disturbed, at least equally, by the death of the dire wolf.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Kinvara is fine as fuck, too.
Yeah, she is...

Originally Posted by HN
The cave was blocked by magic (or some mystical shit) and that was unlocked by the mark.

They, team white walkers, can't get past the wall (yet) because it's a big fcking wall, and no amount of warg diddling will help with that. Best it will do is let them know where bran is going. Maybe bran's gotta lose another limb to sever the connection
Why can't they go over the wall like the wildlings did?
Old 05-23-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
The old man in the tree never made it clear that the people in his visions could interact with Bran. In fact he gave him the opposite impression.
Old 05-23-16, 10:55 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114

Why can't they go over the wall like the wildlings did?
i'm sure they could try. just doens't have anything to do with this new found connection with Bran
Old 05-23-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A question I have about the Three-Eyed Raven and Bran warging back to Winterfell in the past is why did they do that then?

They knew the White Walkers would now be coming and that they had no magic protection within the tree's cavern anymore, so what was so damned important about that past scene at Winterfell that they warged instead of getting out of the tree and running away before the White Walker army arrived?

(And if Bran left the tree, wouldn't the magic shield protecting it resume working and once again protecting the Three-Eyed Raven, given he couldn't leave?)
Old 05-23-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
A question I have about the Three-Eyed Raven and Bran warging back to Winterfell in the past is why did they do that then?

They knew the White Walkers would now be coming and that they had no magic protection within the tree's cavern anymore, so what was so damned important about that past scene at Winterfell that they warged instead of getting out of the tree and running away before the White Walker army arrived?

(And if Bran left the tree, wouldn't the magic shield protecting it resume working and once again protecting the Three-Eyed Raven, given he couldn't leave?)

Three Eyed Raven? Is that Max Von Sydow's character? If so, he got killed. There's nothing to protect.
Old 05-23-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

My guess is that the Three-Eyed Raven knew what was going to happen and that it had to happen. Based on the conversation with Meera in episode 2, I think the Children of the Forest knew it was going to happen as well.
Old 05-23-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
My guess is that the Three-Eyed Raven knew what was going to happen and that it had to happen. Based on the conversation with Meera in episode 2, I think the Children of the Forest knew it was going to happen as well.
Yeah, or else 3ER would've snapped Bran out of it.

Originally Posted by CRM114

Yeah, she is...

She looks a lot like Rachel Weisz.
Old 05-23-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Oh shit, she does.
Old 05-23-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Three Eyed Raven? Is that Max Von Sydow's character? If so, he got killed. There's nothing to protect.
Yes, he's the Three-Eyed Raven and he couldn't physically leave the tree.

But if Bran, Meera, Hodor, and Summer had started running IMMEDIATELY AFTER the Three-Eyed Raven told Bran that the White Walkers were coming because they were not protected anymore, then Hodor (Wylis) and Summer would probably still be alive.

Instead the Three-Eyed Raven and Bran warged to Winterfell in the past to see some seemingly unimportant event (was there any importance to what they were seeing there?) which made them all sitting ducks in the tree when the White Walkers arrived.
Old 05-23-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, he's the Three-Eyed Raven and he couldn't physically leave the tree.

But if Bran, Meera, Hodor, and Summer had started running IMMEDIATELY AFTER the Three-Eyed Raven told Bran that the White Walkers were coming because they were not protected anymore, then Hodor (Wylis) and Summer would probably still be alive.

Instead the Three-Eyed Raven and Bran warged to Winterfell in the past to see some seemingly unimportant event (was there any importance to what they were seeing there?) which made them all sitting ducks in the tree when the White Walkers arrived.

I think the important event was seeing Hodor as a kid. That shit needed to happen to get to the point back in the real world. It's predestined. As someone already mentioned - it's 12 Monkeys all over again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.