TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

Originally Posted by resinrats
One thing i noticed and couldn't unnotice is she has earrings. How would that be possible? No thin metal would pierce her ears. Also her ears would heal.
Chris Reeve's Superman had noticeable fillings in his teeth.

Again, you've got Melissa Benoist on screen and you guys are looking at her eyebrows and ears.
Old 10-30-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd say the issue is less about the "girl power" theme in general, but how blunt and goofy it comes off when you have lines like the before mentioned one from her sister about being a girl which comes out of absolutely no where and unwarranted.
Yep, that is the issue. It is not warranted. Quite used to many shows having women as strong leads without having to make goofy lines like the first episode did.
Old 10-31-15, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Yep, that is the issue. It is not warranted. Quite used to many shows having women as strong leads without having to make goofy lines like the first episode did.
Hmmm... I thought the "because she is a girl?" comment fit the scene. She WAS after all fighting a big male ALIEN.
Old 10-31-15, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Hmmm... I thought the "because she is a girl?" comment fit the scene. She WAS after all fighting a big male ALIEN.
Maybe I just did not see that as an issue. Too used to seeing female charaters hold their own against all types of villains. So if someone said she can't win or is not strong enough my thought is not going to be because they are a girl. In the show it could have just been an observation based on how the fight was going and could apply to anyone in the same situation.

And of course being Kryptonian on Earth likely gives her an edge against most villains regardless of what they are. (Of course they are likely going to make them quite strong so things are not too easy)
Old 10-31-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I had really low expectations of this going in. The previews looked so corny.

I was surprised how much I liked it. The lead is better than I expected. The relationship with Jimmy my and the friend at work are good as well.

I didn't care for the sister too much. She was overbearing and came off bitchy. It was like Jonathan Kent from Smallville turned up to 11, just not genuine and caring. I also could have done without the overt girl power messages, especially the ones that were shoehorned in.

The tone was so similar to Flash. Given how similar and infectious the personality of the lead is, I so want a crossover with Barry Allen.

Old 10-31-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing that annoyed me with the sister was she knew all about the alien prisoners, not to mention the secret government program, and yet she didn't tell Kara. Maybe it's because I've become burned out by that situation from too much Supernatural where every season one or both of leads keep some major secret in order to 'protect" their sibling even though it's obviously doomed to fail and will just make everything worse.
Old 10-31-15, 11:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the fact that I could watch this with my 12 year old daughter. Would never do that with Gotham, daredevil or the new Jessica jones...
Old 10-31-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

If any show needed a two-hour pilot, I thought this Supergirl could have been expanded beyond one hour. They chewed through a lot of origin story and introduced the show's entire formula in 44 very tight minutes.

It appears most people are very happy with the casting and I haven't heard too many complaints about the costume. Berlanti's superhero shows have proven they don't mind refining the costume along the way. It would have been cute if her first costume was the one from the 50s for an episode but I assume CBS demanded the current one immediately on screen.
Old 10-31-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I liked the fact that I could watch this with my 12 year old daughter.
Good for you on being able to enjoy a show made for 12 year old girls
Old 11-01-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I originally watched the leaked pilot back when it first came out. I enjoyed it. Didn't see any mention of Winn being gay. I don't know too many gay guys that want to date females, as Wynn obviously wants to do. Perhaps people assumed Winn was gay because he is a snappy dresser, and knows how to sew. As to the show, I thought that they tried to squeeze way too much into the hour. The fight with teh supervillain felt cheated and way too short.
Old 11-02-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This series is obviously aimed at a very young (mostly female) demographic. Overall it was enjoyable, but not great. Heard it did well in the ratings, so I guess getting picked up by CBS gives you a better than average chance of surviving.

I really must have a one track mind as during the twist epilogue all I could really think was "that general lady's got a nice ass."

Given the backgrounds of both Benoist and Benanti, I wonder if we might get a musical ep. like Buffy? While it would have to be a dream sequence or something similar, it would be a shame to let two vocal talents go to waste.
Old 11-02-15, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Maybe I just did not see that as an issue. Too used to seeing female charaters hold their own against all types of villains. So if someone said she can't win or is not strong enough my thought is not going to be because they are a girl. In the show it could have just been an observation based on how the fight was going and could apply to anyone in the same situation.

And of course being Kryptonian on Earth likely gives her an edge against most villains regardless of what they are. (Of course they are likely going to make them quite strong so things are not too easy)
Counter to that is that we have gotten used to completely unrealistic depictions of the capability of women to fight men in modern shows and especially modern action shows, not to say that women cannot be badass but it is not the norm on any level.
Old 11-02-15, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If any show needed a two-hour pilot, I thought this Supergirl could have been expanded beyond one hour. They chewed through a lot of origin story and introduced the show's entire formula in 44 very tight minutes.

It appears most people are very happy with the casting and I haven't heard too many complaints about the costume. Berlanti's superhero shows have proven they don't mind refining the costume along the way. It would have been cute if her first costume was the one from the 50s for an episode but I assume CBS demanded the current one immediately on screen.
Her costume is awesome
Old 11-02-15, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
This series is obviously aimed at a very young (mostly female) demographic. Overall it was enjoyable, but not great. Heard it did well in the ratings, so I guess getting picked up by CBS gives you a better than average chance of surviving.

I really must have a one track mind as during the twist epilogue all I could really think was "that general lady's got a nice ass."

Given the backgrounds of both Benoist and Benanti, I wonder if we might get a musical ep. like Buffy? While it would have to be a dream sequence or something similar, it would be a shame to let two vocal talents go to waste.
Will be really interesting to see the ratings tonight. The premiere actually did uniformly well against both age and sex so at least for initial viewership it got the tone right for broad appeal. I also think it is timed really well, so many dark dark shows that I think people are ready for a breezy lighter approach, especially in the comic genre. Flash is really not all that light
Old 11-02-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ I will say that if I were a parent, I would feel MUCH better with my kid watching this than Gotham (which I still can't believe is in a 8/7 timeslot).
Old 11-02-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Gotham opens with a pretty stern "for mature audiences" badge.
Old 11-02-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

Superman could shave so anything is possible.

Kryptonite tipped earrings? Magic ones? Who knows? In the comics anything is possible.
Well looking at one of the test costumes it is clear that Kara shaves or keeps her area very well trimmed which puts the above cartoon in a new light.
Old 11-02-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

^ I will say that if I were a parent, I would feel MUCH better with my kid watching this than Gotham (which I still can't believe is in a 8/7 timeslot).
That hasn't been universal family hour in along time and Gotham is definitely not appropriate for kids. Heck, CBS airs 2 Broke Girls then and even the Muppets have jokes about weed during that time slot. I sais it earlier in the thread, this is CBS most family friendly show is a decade.
Old 11-02-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Finally, what are the odds of a comic-book character show surviving without the male demographic?
I'm pretty sure more men tuned in for the pilot than women/girls. I've met adult women that like Wonder Woman but Supergirl seems to be a character mostly popular with very young girls.
Old 11-02-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Gotham opens with a pretty stern "for mature audiences" badge.
That and the "R" rating on a movie has as much impact on people not letting their kids see it as Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House telling everyone to "remain calm, all is well"
Old 11-02-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

This series is obviously aimed at a very young (mostly female) demographic.
I think it's hard to make that claim after a scant :45 minutes.
Old 11-07-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If I were a writer on this show, I'd make sure every month her "super-menstruation" powers reigned terror on all the world's evil-doers. Guess that explains why I'm not.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 11-07-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-07-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
If I were a writer on this show, I'd make sure every month her "super-menstruation" powers reigned terror on all the world's evil-doers.
I guess if she gets a case of explosive diarrhea it would literally be explosive.