DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/629263-supergirl-s1e01-pilot-10-26-15-a.html)

DJariya 10-26-15 03:18 AM

Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...66031898_o.jpg

AFTER 12 YEARS OF KEEPING HER POWERS A SECRET ON EARTH, KARA ZOR-EL, SUPERMAN'S COUSIN, DECIDES TO FINALLY EMBRACE HER SUPERHUMAN ABILITIES AND BE THE HERO SHE WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "SUPERGIRL," MONDAY, OCT. 26

Editor's note: The start and end times for this episode have changed.

Melissa Benoist, Calista Flockhart, Chyler Leigh, Mehcad Brooks, David Harewood and Jeremy Jordan Star

"Pilot" - After 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, on the series premiere of SUPERGIRL, Monday, Oct. 26 (8:31-9:31 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. The series moves to its regular time period (8:00-9:00 PM)
on Monday, Nov. 2.

SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El, Superman's (Kal-El)
cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents' help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex, and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later, at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant. She works alongside her friend and IT technician Winn Schott and famous photographer James Olsen, who Grant just hired away from the Daily Planet to serve as her new art director. However, Kara's days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw, head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime.

REGULAR CAST:

Melissa Benoist (Kara Danvers/Supergirl)
Calista Flockhart (Cat Grant)
Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers)
Mehcad Brooks (James Olsen)
David Harewood (Hank Henshaw)
Jeremy Jordan (Winslow "Winn" Schott)
GUEST CAST:

Laura Benanti (Alura)
Derek Mio (Hayashi)
Ben Begley (Tobey)
Faran Tahir (The Commander)
Owain Yeoman (Vartox)
Dean Cain (Dr. Jeremiah Danvers)
Helen Slater (Dr. Eliza Danvers)

Malina Weissman (Young Kara)
Jordan Mazarati (Young Alex)
Rick Garcia (Rick Garcia)
Leyna Nguyen (Leyna Nguyen)
Robert Gant (Zor-El)
Paul Stuart (Yale)
Nick Jaine (Another Staffer)
Sheila Collins (Passenger)
Chriss Anglin (Pilot)
Kinna Mcinroe (Waitress)
Briana Venskus (Tech Woman)
Julien Yuen (Terrified Teen)
Zayne Emory (Rick Malverne)
Mackenzie Brooke Smith (Female Student #1)
Jaidan Jiron (Female Student #2)
Tara Macken (Stunt Mother)

WRITTEN BY: Executive Producers Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Ali Adler

DIRECTED BY: Glen Winter

Premieres officially tonight.

Please No Spoilers if you watched the version that leaked earlier this year.

This is from the same creative team behind Arrow and The Flash.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5x4RgvxnqWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even though there's a glut of comic and superhero shows on network TV right now, I'm excited for this.

A few notable Superman universe alumnus are on this including Dean Cain and Helen Slater.

DJariya 10-26-15 03:29 AM

Re: Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

Behind the scenes of the Pilot. Interviews with the cast and creative team. Runs about 4 1/2 minutes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DkKa-x8lteA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DeadLamb 10-26-15 04:36 AM

not going to lie.. as a Smallville fan I'm a little nerd peeved that it's all *BAM* the full costume, the flying, the iconic move of opening the shirt to show the huge letter S. .etc etc all in the show's trailers..

Smallville fans put in 10 seasons worth of corn fields and caves (and more caves, always a damn cave) and pretty much never got as much as Supergirl brings in what I'm guessing is the first few eps. It's not even fair to all the support characters in Smallville who had to endure something like 100+ concussions each so they never saw *the blur* slow down.

I understand why that was the case with Smallville but still. boooooooooo* :lol:

*I'll still watch of course

Jackskeleton 10-26-15 05:15 AM

It's your own damn fault for sticking with Smallville for so long.

joltman 10-26-15 06:08 AM

My girls are 7 and 10 and love superhero girls. Should this be OK to watch with them?

flashburn 10-26-15 06:34 AM

Anyone know if anything was changed from the pilot that was released months ago?

candyrocket786 10-26-15 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by joltman (Post 12627925)
My girls are 7 and 10 and love superhero girls. Should this be OK to watch with them?

Yeah. I thought it was fine. My 10 year old niece plans to watch.

Mike86 10-26-15 08:18 AM

I was interested in this and may still watch it but honestly the last couple of promos I've seen for it make it look a bit on the corny side. Not sure if a series like this will work on a mainstream network like CBS but I guess we'll see.

dex14 10-26-15 08:22 AM

So... what are the odds of this not finding an audience on CBS, getting cancelled, and moving to The CW?

mwbmis 10-26-15 08:38 AM

I didn't watch this online earlier this year, choosing to wait until the show premiered. I imagine it will probably be closer in tone to the Flash than to Arrow. If that is the case, then it should be a lot of fun. Benoist had an earnest quality when she was on Glee.

Glad to see Helen Slater in the extended cast.

Tom Creo 10-26-15 10:32 AM

I'm not digging the promos but will give it a shot.

GuessWho 10-26-15 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12627996)
Benoist had an earnest quality when she was on Glee.

Agreed. She was very likable when onscreen. (Just can't believe she married that doofy guy from the show IRL)

The Fappening seems to have not affected her career at all. :thumbsup:

DJariya 10-26-15 11:10 AM

Warner Brothers studios hosted a screening of it earlier this year and Benoist attended. The audience was a bunch of young girls probably 12 and under. So I say yes. They created a promotional video for it that aired at some Regal theaters.

dex14 10-26-15 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 12628100)
Agreed. She was very likable when onscreen. (Just can't believe she married that doofy guy from the show IRL)

The Fappening seems to have not affected her career at all. :thumbsup:

It really didn't hurt anyone's career. If anything, it helped.

stingermck 10-26-15 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by DeadLamb (Post 12627918)
not going to lie.. as a Smallville fan I'm a little nerd peeved that it's all *BAM* the full costume, the flying, the iconic move of opening the shirt to show the huge letter S. .etc etc all in the show's trailers..

Smallville fans put in 10 seasons worth of corn fields and caves (and more caves, always a damn cave) and pretty much never got as much as Supergirl brings in what I'm guessing is the first few eps. It's not even fair to all the support characters in Smallville who had to endure something like 100+ concussions each so they never saw *the blur* slow down.

I understand why that was the case with Smallville but still. boooooooooo* :lol:

That's because the type of model that Smallville followed...well Flash kicked the shit out of it.

Thank God.

coli 10-26-15 11:25 AM

Why did this start a month after all of the fall shows started in September?

madcougar 10-26-15 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12627996)
I didn't watch this online earlier this year, choosing to wait until the show premiered. I imagine it will probably be closer in tone to the Flash than to Arrow. If that is the case, then it should be a lot of fun. Benoist had an earnest quality when she was on Glee.

Glad to see Helen Slater in the extended cast.

Just saw Benoist in Whiplash a few nights ago. She's a cutie.

fumanstan 10-26-15 11:35 AM

Even though I saw the pilot online, looking forward to this airing for real.

johnnysd 10-26-15 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12627980)
I was interested in this and may still watch it but honestly the last couple of promos I've seen for it make it look a bit on the corny side. Not sure if a series like this will work on a mainstream network like CBS but I guess we'll see.

It's very similar in tone to The Flash. Looking forward to watching it again in all honesty. Leaking the pilot was a great move by CBS

Michael Corvin 10-26-15 12:26 PM

Watched it back in the Spring, but will watch again tonight. For the most part, I loved it. However, I'm still not sold on Jimmy Olsen being a roided out ladies man.

Originally Posted by Tom Creo (Post 12628077)
I'm not digging the promos but will give it a shot.

The promos are misleading. It's very similar in tone/humor as the Flash.

Not the first few episodes... it's all in the pilot, tonight.

Mine are 9 & 11 and really liked it. Not as much as Flash, but we're just going off a single episode versus a full season of the Flash. They are looking forward to it tonight.

PhantomStranger 10-26-15 02:06 PM

But of course, we actually got a perfect Supergirl in costume on Smallville, flying around. I was shocked that the CW never tried spinning off Laura's Supergirl into her own show from Smallville. And yes, I despise Smallville for teasing us with a decade of the Blur. Now she's on a forgotten Canadian show that is barely hanging on.

People should enjoy this pilot, I imagine it has been refined even further since the leaked version months ago. It doesn't waste a lot of time with inessential scenes and introduces most of the show's intended formula going forward.

This show has a much bigger budget than Flash or Arrow. There is no chance the CW could afford it given their normal ratings. I think it's very curious that CBS placed it up against Gotham. DC fans are torn between supporting the shows. I guess they felt it was better than going up against Arrow or The Flash.

GuessWho 10-26-15 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12628290)
DC fans are torn between supporting the shows.

For less than the price of a comic book a week, DC fans can afford a DVR.

Giantrobo 10-26-15 03:14 PM

Dammit. Since this show is on CBS it won't be on Hulu. Guess I'll have to wait till the full season is up eventually....

majorjoe23 10-26-15 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12628358)
Dammit. Since this show is on CBS it won't be on Hulu. Guess I'll have to wait till the full season is up eventually....

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully the full season will be on Netflix next year.

DJariya 10-26-15 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12628358)

It should be on CBS.com if you're unable to watch it on TV.