Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-08-12, 08:49 PM   #76
chowderhead
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Voice -- The Live Performances Thread -- Mondays/Tuesdays (NBC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLEWIS1 View Post
The first time she got really pissy to him was on a performance night after Justin timberlake had tweeted to his followers that they should support Tony...maybe she thought it was an unfair advantage, but hey, the guy is friends with timberlake so why not use it?
She actually believes this is a singing competition . Justin Bieber also tweeted to his fans he hopes Adam/Adam's team wins. I think it will be 2 in a row for Adam and the 1st WGWG for the Voice.
Old 05-09-12, 05:59 AM   #77
Superman07
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couldn't make it to the end last night, but I'm surprised by the results. Although to be fair I don't think anybody was ever a clear gap front runner. At least there is debate surrounding this year in the days to follow.
Old 05-09-12, 06:26 AM   #78
movieking
DVD Talk Legend

I'm fine with Jermaine winning, but I honestly think having Christina as his coach may have cost Chris Mann some votes at the end, based on how she was acting in the last few weeks. Aside from Tony Luca, I would have been happy with any of the other three winning.
Old 05-09-12, 07:27 AM   #79
Laertes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDChris View Post
I finally realized why Jamar Rogers looked so familiar to me. He was Danny Gokey's friend on American Idol who should've made it to the live shows, but the judges cut him.
Are you sure? I ask because when I first saw him, that's who I thought it was. I watched that season of AI really closely because 1) it was the only season that our office had an office pool, and 2) I hate hate hate Danny Gokey. I thought that Jamar was that guy, but I talked myself out of it because I didn't think Jamar's back story matched for some reason and I couldn't imagine this Jamar being friends with AI Danny Gokey.
Old 05-09-12, 07:48 AM   #80
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laertes View Post
Are you sure? I ask because when I first saw him, that's who I thought it was. I watched that season of AI really closely because 1) it was the only season that our office had an office pool, and 2) I hate hate hate Danny Gokey. I thought that Jamar was that guy, but I talked myself out of it because I didn't think Jamar's back story matched for some reason and I couldn't imagine this Jamar being friends with AI Danny Gokey.
Yeah, it's him. Tons of stuff about it if you google Jamar Gokey.
Old 05-09-12, 07:51 AM   #81
Laertes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatikk View Post
Yeah, it's him. Tons of stuff about it if you google Jamar Gokey.
To which I can only say "ugh." I was right, then I talked myself out of it. I take this opportunity to once again say that I cannot stand Danny Gokey. Ugh.
Old 05-09-12, 07:59 AM   #82
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

Did AI play up the HIV angle with Jamar, or just his friendship with the Gokey?
Old 05-09-12, 08:02 AM   #83
Laertes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Did AI play up the HIV angle with Jamar, or just his friendship with the Gokey?
No mention of Gokey (unless I fast forwarded through it). Hence my uncertainty and eventual mistaken belief it wasn't him. They played up the survivor/redemption angle of his story.
Old 05-09-12, 10:50 PM   #84
DVDChris
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laertes View Post
To which I can only say "ugh." I was right, then I talked myself out of it. I take this opportunity to once again say that I cannot stand Danny Gokey. Ugh.
Yeah I talked myself out of it in the beginning as well. Then I decided to look it up. Jamar should've made it on Idol along with Gokey.

My Collection (This is getting ridiculous)
Old 05-09-12, 10:58 PM   #85
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats to Jermaine Paul. He wasn't my favorite, but I liked him and most of his performances.

I saw most of the finale and enjoyed his rendition of "I believe I can Fly" even though that song is beyond tired and overplayed.

I have to see what kind of album he plans to put out before I can fully judge him as an artist. I hope Universal Records will get him some good Producers and Songwriters. IMO, he needs to work with a good Producer to refine his vocals.

I think the trouble with Chris Mann is him being pretty 1-dimensional. He's very talented singer, but based on his song selections on Monday, he just came across as a 2nd rate Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban. Recording-wise, his audience will be pretty small IMO.
Old 05-09-12, 11:42 PM   #86
MikahC
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I'd say my #1 genre is old-school R&B, Jermaine Paul doesn't appeal to me as a solo artist. If he put out a video, I'd be curious to see what he did, but I doubt I'd want to see it past that. Watching Jermaine perform always feels like I'm watching someone reporting for jury duty on a capital offense trial. He's just so ... serious. Even I Believe I Can Fly had no joy in it for me. Overearnest as all get out, but no joy. He seems like he's in a constant state of bottling up his emotions, which is great for being a strong man, but somewhat counterproductive to being an artist.

I don't see how Chris Mann could be the "pop" guy he wants to be, but being a 2nd rate Andrea Bocelli or Josh Groban is pretty good company. That Ave Maria was good stuff IMO. I'm also saving The Prayer.

Part of the problem with this season for me is there's never been a time when I thought I saw someone commercially viable. At least last year I thought Javier could possibly sell records. I couldn't say I was surprised that he didn't have any significant success. With Jermaine, anything's possible, but I just don't see it. Juliet seems like the most commercially viable to me, though I didn't save any of her performances. And Tony Lucca? Well, XTina was particularly snarky, but if she says he's a one trick pony, I have trouble disagreeing. I don't see him as a recording artist either.