Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
re: The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

How does the next phase work anyway? Different members of the teams face of within the team or between teams? I hope we get to see some substantial tutoring and not just a 2 minute montage.
Old 05-06-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
How does the next phase work anyway? Different members of the teams face of within the team or between teams? I hope we get to see some substantial tutoring and not just a 2 minute montage.
From NBC's The Voice Page:

Once the teams are set, the battle is on. Coaches will dedicate themselves to developing their singers, giving them advice, and sharing the secrets of their success. During the battle rounds the coaches will pit two of their own team members against each other to sing the same song together in front of a studio audience. After the vocal face-off, the coach must choose which singers will advance.
Old 05-06-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the singers don't get to choose songs that are a fit either vocally or emotionally.
Old 05-10-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

So the battle round wasn't a bad idea... it's just annoying that we only got four songs in an hour. Too much damn filler.

And I know Blake has been called a homophobe for an unsavory tweet recently so him picking Patrick over Tyler was interesting. Now I'm not going to go as far to call him a homophobe, because it's not a stretch for him to want to take the country guy over the pop guy but I do think it's funny the way it played out.

Overall the episode wasn't that good. Too much filler/back story for my taste. Plus the song choices weren't that great and the only ones to really knock it out of the park were the two girls on C-Lo's team. Although the guy and girl from Adam's team did pretty well also.

To Christina bringing the cleavage non stop so far and to Adam's girl looking hot in that dress. Disregard that last statement if she's under 18.
Old 05-10-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't really enjoy this. I feel like only Christina picked correctly using the hammered in concept of "the Voice", but even they were basically a tie.
Old 05-11-11, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These battle round episodes are best viewed via DVR, you can blow through them in about 16-20 minutes.
Old 05-11-11, 07:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed the battle round episode. Yes, there was a lot of non-singing time but I've come to expect that from singing shows. I mean, if we are to vote for these people then we should know who they are...kinda. We've all seen great singers not generate enough votes on American Idol because by the time they get to the top 24 no one knows who they are. I just think the the producers of the Voice are just trying to create good stories.

Is the live round going to start with 16 singers left? That seems like too many, unless they boot more than one a week.
Old 05-11-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
So the battle round wasn't a bad idea... it's just annoying that we only got four songs in an hour. Too much damn filler.

And I know Blake has been called a homophobe for an unsavory tweet recently so him picking Patrick over Tyler was interesting. Now I'm not going to go as far to call him a homophobe, because it's not a stretch for him to want to take the country guy over the pop guy but I do think it's funny the way it played out.

Overall the episode wasn't that good. Too much filler/back story for my taste. Plus the song choices weren't that great and the only ones to really knock it out of the park were the two girls on C-Lo's team. Although the guy and girl from Adam's team did pretty well also.

To Christina bringing the cleavage non stop so far and to Adam's girl looking hot in that dress. Disregard that last statement if she's under 18.
It's quite clear that either Blake Shelton has no idea what he's doing or is in fact a homophobe. "Yeah, all the judges, the audience and America knows tyler was better, and he did exactly what I asked him, but he likes dudes, so I'm going with him." That guy is a massive douche who somehow manages to get douchier every single episode. Lord help you if you sing the epic works that are his and his fiancee's songs...

And yes Goat, that girl is 16.
Old 05-11-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah definetly think there is something up with Shelton because Tyler was clearly better... I do have to say the 2 ladies at the end put on one of the best performances Ive seen on a singing competition and that this is going to come down between Levine and C-Lo's performers imo.
Old 05-11-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still like Vicki's version of "Rolling in the Deep" over Adele's. Am I weird about this?
Old 05-11-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It's quite clear that either Blake Shelton has no idea what he's doing or is in fact a homophobe. "Yeah, all the judges, the audience and America knows tyler was better, and he did exactly what I asked him, but he likes dudes, so I'm going with him." That guy is a massive douche who somehow manages to get douchier every single episode. Lord help you if you sing the epic works that are his and his fiancee's songs...
I'm not going to argue with you not liking him, that's up to you. I just think that saying that he didn't want to pick the gay guy because he was gay is a stretch... like I said, it's not crazy to think that he just liked Patrick's strong country voice better... after all, he's a country singer.

And yes Goat, that girl is 16.
You couldn't have told me that before quoting me?
Old 05-11-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Yeah definetly think there is something up with Shelton because Tyler was clearly better... I do have to say the 2 ladies at the end put on one of the best performances Ive seen on a singing competition and that this is going to come down between Levine and C-Lo's performers imo.
I didn't think Tyler was better. Patrick had a deeper singing voice and fit the show better. I that both were fine but Patrick was just as deserving to advance.
Old 05-11-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I didn't think Tyler was better. Patrick had a deeper singing voice and fit the show better. I that both were fine but Patrick was just as deserving to advance.
That's so chowderhead.
Old 05-12-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was a bit let down by this episode as well, but I think for reasons different than those others had. I was really hoping to see more of the singers mentoring the contestants. I know there was editing, but I feel like each pair probably had 15-20 minutes at the piano, a quick sit down session for 5 minutes, and then a rehearsal with some comments thrown in. Maybe that will change as they get prepared for the live sing-offs.

I also agree that there was too much backstory given again for each of the contestants. Such a waste given the fact they only have ~40 minutes to work with.
Old 05-17-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get the love for Bev, the other dude sang higher and had more interesting phrasing (for a rock song).

Amanda had no killer instinct, but she's cute.
Old 05-18-11, 03:10 AM
Banned

We really like the show so far. It's kind of the anti-Idol (concentrates on the singing vs. hype...at least, so far). Like the blind auditions, the coaching, less filler, better feedback from judges/coaches than Idol. Oh, yeah...far better singers, too.

at the comments about Blake's choosing Patrick over Tyler, although the "controversy" was predictable. Blake can be insufferable with his comments at times, but saying his pick was biased would be like calling CeeLo a reverse racist because he rejected the black dude. Or saying that Christina was biased because she's bisexual and picked Bev. Sometimes we agree with the coach's choices (especially when they paired better singers with weaker, which is smart if you want to keep your best around); sometimes we don't. However, it's pretty stupid to question every choice by playing some sort of prejudice card.

We both thought Tyler, while having a nice voice, was awkward & his rhythm was off during the battle round. Patrick performed that song better even while being much more conservative. Tyler seemed to have more versatility & thus more potential, but the coach's choice came down to judging based upon the performance vs. hypothetical future performances.

On the other hand, I thought Bev did better than Justin, although I think Justin has more upside in versatility. Bev seems stuck the over-the-top, all-out, pull out the stops rocker mode. Don't know what she'd do with a ballad...she could kill it, but she also might over-sing it.

And how would Blake know that Tyler is homosexual if Tyler (or Bev) are homosexual if they don't announce the fact? Maybe they want to 'represent' in their background bios, but it would seem bizarre if other contestants (aside from the married couple) announced that "I'm heterosexual" (in fact, some would probably call that comment a demonstration of bias to others or pandering) or "I'm bisexual", etc. I thought the idea of the show is to find "The Voice"...not to try to win votes by pandering to race, gender, creed, etc.

Otherwise, might as well just accuse every judge/coach of bias anytime they make a choice in which the contestants have a different background on this and every other reality contest type of show.
Old 05-18-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got into this show. It's pretty good. Much better than AI, especially the singing part.
Old 05-18-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper
at the comments about Blake's choosing Patrick over Tyler, although the "controversy" was predictable. Blake can be insufferable with his comments at times, but saying his pick was biased would be like calling CeeLo a reverse racist because he rejected the black dude. Or saying that Christina was biased because she's bisexual and picked Bev. Sometimes we agree with the coach's choices (especially when they paired better singers with weaker, which is smart if you want to keep your best around); sometimes we don't. However, it's pretty stupid to question every choice by playing some sort of prejudice card.

We both thought Tyler, while having a nice voice, was awkward & his rhythm was off during the battle round. Patrick performed that song better even while being much more conservative. Tyler seemed to have more versatility & thus more potential, but the coach's choice came down to judging based upon the performance vs. hypothetical future performances.

On the other hand, I thought Bev did better than Justin, although I think Justin has more upside in versatility. Bev seems stuck the over-the-top, all-out, pull out the stops rocker mode. Don't know what she'd do with a ballad...she could kill it, but she also might over-sing it.

And how would Blake know that Tyler is homosexual if Tyler (or Bev) are homosexual if they don't announce the fact? Maybe they want to 'represent' in their background bios, but it would seem bizarre if other contestants (aside from the married couple) announced that "I'm heterosexual" (in fact, some would probably call that comment a demonstration of bias to others or pandering) or "I'm bisexual", etc. I thought the idea of the show is to find "The Voice"...not to try to win votes by pandering to race, gender, creed, etc.

Otherwise, might as well just accuse every judge/coach of bias anytime they make a choice in which the contestants have a different background on this and every other reality contest type of show.
I brought it up but for the record I didn't call Blake a homophobe. Just that it's funny considering that he picked Patrick when every one else picked Tyler and this was coming a few days after he put up that tweet.

Also, Tyler announced on the air that he's gay. It was during the blind audition interview and it was one of the very first things he said. So Blake knew.
Old 05-18-11, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I brought it up but for the record I didn't call Blake a homophobe. Just that it's funny considering that he picked Patrick when every one else picked Tyler and this was coming a few days after he put up that tweet.

Also, Tyler announced on the air that he's gay. It was during the blind audition interview and it was one of the very first things he said. So Blake knew.
No, I didn't mean you, Goat. I understood from a post (maybe yours) that others elsewhere on the web or media were saying that. Sorry if I implied that you were the goat.

I don't get the need to reveal one's sexual preferences unless they are somehow relevant. Was Tyler saying that was what led him to want to be a singer? Otherwise, it's just TMI. As I said before, people would think it queer if other contestants came out and announced that, "By the way, I'm straight". Why would Tyler think it was important to announce his sexuality?

I listened to Elton John, Melissa Ethridge, and others before and after they came out. I still watch Rock Hudson movies in which he plays a flaming heterosexual and try to ignore his actual sexual preferences. Knowing the sexuality of an artist doesn't make me more or less inclined to listen to them, read them, or watch them unless they try to cram an agenda down my throat.

And, yes, I'm having some juvenile fun with innuendos because, although I'm sure that the issue means something to the people personally, it seems silly to bring it front-and-center in a singing competition without just cause. Whether one gains sympathy or opposition, it just seems wrong unless it becomes an issue from an outside source.

If some judges wanted to sterotype Tyler by his mannerisms (which just seemed geeky to me) or Bev by her look (which could just be a biker chick who was undergoing chemo or wanted to emulate Sinead), there's no need for any revealing until the contestants were selected (upon which Bev's girlfriend, etc. would make things apparent...AFTER the coach/judge had made his/her pick).

I still thought Tyler was more awkward even though he probably had more upside than Patrick. Again, it all depends upon what Shelton is looking for. It doesn't make Shelton right, but it doesn't make him a douche, either. Other judges/coaches went against what their fellow judges recommended when making their picks, and it just seemed to be the judge's personal preference.

I'd think it would be pretty hard for today's entertainers...even in the country genre...to avoid doing business with people of all persuasions, whether in the musical end or the business end (no pun intended).

BTW...what did Shelton say in his tweet? Is it Googleable?
Old 05-27-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone still watching? Ive actually been really enjoying it and think that now even more so than before its going to come down between C-Lo and Levine.
Old 05-27-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I liked it initially, I completely forgot about it this week. Was it any good? I think they should really be doing at least 2 days a week, this is too slow IMO.
Old 05-27-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I don't get the need to reveal one's sexual preferences unless they are somehow relevant. Was Tyler saying that was what led him to want to be a singer? Otherwise, it's just TMI. As I said before, people would think it queer if other contestants came out and announced that, "By the way, I'm straight". Why would Tyler think it was important to announce his sexuality?

BTW...what did Shelton say in his tweet? Is it Googleable?
I can't remember exactly what Blake said. He changed some lyrics to a popular song and made it seem like he'd beat up a gay guy if one of them touched his ass. Yes you can Google it.

As for Tyler coming out on the show... well it's the shows fault. They have 24 contestants and they wanted to do a back story for pretty much everyone. But not everyone is interesting. If I were on this show and they needed something for me I'd have no idea what to say (other than I'm a legend on DVDtalk of course).

So apparently his gayness was the only thing Tyler had going for him.. but honestly I was more offended by the girl that said she always got judged for her hotness and not her voice. Yeah life must be tough for her.

Originally Posted by starman9000
As much as I liked it initially, I completely forgot about it this week. Was it any good? I think they should really be doing at least 2 days a week, this is too slow IMO.
It's been the same thing as the last two weeks. These battle rounds are dragging. I would have liked two 2 hour episodes instead of 4 one hour episodes of this. 4 songs in one hour just isn't enough. Although if you do watch the two people from Adam's team did a great job with "Creep" by Radiohead.
Old 05-27-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agree on moving too slow. They still have a week left, and I'm not sure how long the live rounds are going go with 16 people. Is it going to be more battles until 1 left from each team, and then a final few rounds to pit "teams" off against each other?
Old 05-27-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starman9000
Plus 10 p.m. is not the right time slot for a show like this.
Old 05-27-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Agree on moving too slow. They still have a week left, and I'm not sure how long the live rounds are going go with 16 people. Is it going to be more battles until 1 left from each team, and then a final few rounds to pit "teams" off against each other?
I kind of assume they'll have some sort of wild card round to bring back a few people too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.