Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Voice -- The Battle Rounds Thread -- Mondays (NBC)

Blake's pick with the blondie was a big WTF. Personal I thought Monique was better. Also, I would have picked Angie. Anthony and Jesse was a very tough pick.
Old 03-06-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RaeLyn is the type of female singer Blake likes (country version of Xenia from last year)... Shes young and has much more room to grow. Plus I think the general public will like her cuteness more. Neither one of them are going to win, so he picked the person that has more potential.

I also preferred Anthony and Chris as well.
Old 03-06-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The talent left over on the floor after the Anthony and Jesse battle was more than we saw the rest of the night combined. Those guys ought to tour together. Seriously.
Old 03-07-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

OMG, this performance was easily the highlight of the night.

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1389063" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I actually wanted to give a standing ovation afterwards. It was that good. I'm happy that Jesse made it through, but Anthony made a game of it.

Jordis vs. Brian: Hated that performance. It was a total trainwreck. It was off key the entire time and Jordis was screaming.

RaeLynn vs. Adley: Agree with everyone. Adley should have advanced.

Chris vs. Monique: Both were pretty close. I'm cool with Chris being picked.

Chris vs. Tony: I liked both. That was a really tough call.

Angie vs. Cheesa: For selfish reasons, I'm disappointed that Angie didn't make it. She's hot. But, I thought Cheesa overshadowed her and was stronger.
Old 03-07-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree some could have gone either way, but I was very surprised to see Adley and Angie get sent home.
Old 03-07-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

These judges had there mind made up, I think the public should vote on these...

I didn't agree with most of there choices, and the last battle was great...

First time watching this year, and enjoying it, but this round needs some work...
Old 03-07-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was a moment when Angie talked about being in the military that was kind of sobering for me. Ne-Yo was using the military/war analogies and she said, "You know I was [am?] in the military, right?" That part was fine. But then she said, "Don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot." And the way it was edited, she was not smiling. In that moment, the whole "battle round" thing didn't seem so fun to me. This lady has been faced with the possibility of real battle and death (something that doesn't leave you). Maybe cool it with the analogies.

Anyway, the Anthony Evans and Jesse Campbell duet was nice. There were a few notes that sounded "off" to me. Not necessarily out of tune, but just weird choices. Could be my hearing, though. Blake was a little strange in his commentary about "mother**** b-b-b-baby" given that he's talking to 2 Christian singers, who both have their family (including a fairly popular father pastor) in the audience.

Anthony has released a few Christian CD's and sang backup for people like Kirk Franklin. And I almost hate to bring this up, but he could stand to lose 20 lbs. It's just easier watching Jesse sing. Anthony looks like if he strains just a little bit more for a note, he's going to burst the seams of his suit. I also wasn't a fan of his falsetto for the notes he couldn't reach as there was a distinctive shift from his normal voice. I'm OK with Christina's selection to go forward.
Old 03-07-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think for this battle round, the judges shouldn't have the right to select whom to battle with. It should be a random draw from a hat or something.
Old 03-07-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I disagreed with every single one of the winners.

But, I'm sure the judges have more of an overall insight after working with them and have their own personal preferences/biases as well.

We were getting flood warnings yesterday (and they blank out the program sound for the announcement) and one of them ended literally 2 seconds before Jesse and Anthony sang. I know I could see it elsewhere but was looking forward to it at that moment.
Old 03-07-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the judges pretty much has their picks from the rehearsal stage.
Old 03-07-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rkndkn
I disagreed with every single one of the winners.

But, I'm sure the judges have more of an overall insight after working with them and have their own personal preferences/biases as well.

We were getting flood warnings yesterday (and they blank out the program sound for the announcement) and one of them ended literally 2 seconds before Jesse and Anthony sang. I know I could see it elsewhere but was looking forward to it at that moment.
I posted the Jesse vs. Anthony duel in this thread from an embeded NBC.com video. See post #11
Old 03-07-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
First time watching this year, and enjoying it, but this round needs some work...
What needs work? The only thing I can think of is the coaching segments are a little too long.

BTW, did anyone notice the weird editing with Jesse's coaching segment? He was 1st seen with a shaved head and what was supposedly the "next day" he had a full head of hair, which was seen in the Battle round.

Also, there were some points where Christina looked like she had a really bad tan job.
Old 03-08-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I was hoping Anthony would take it. He seems like a humble person.
Old 03-08-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
What needs work? The only thing I can think of is the coaching segments are a little too long.

BTW, did anyone notice the weird editing with Jesse's coaching segment? He was 1st seen with a shaved head and what was supposedly the "next day" he had a full head of hair, which was seen in the Battle round.

Also, there were some points where Christina looked like she had a really bad tan job.
I think if we the viewers are thinking the judges picked the wrong winner in almost every case, we need to see more of the coaching sessions, or the system of who is chosen needs to be tweaked.. maybe audience vote 1/3, other judges 1/3 there choice 1/3...

I know theres a chance the other judges could throw their choice, but the spirit of these judges and the spirit of the show, it seem much more friendly than the x-factor vitriol.

You can also get a read on who the public likes at an early stage, like Idol did at the 24 stage..

Maybe then have a final round for Judges Wild cards...

I didn't like seeing some of what seemed like better singers get booted so early.
Old 03-08-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

TVLine writer suggested they maintain the blind aspect throughout the battlerounds. They can have the mentors work with the contestants and then have to decide without having seen them yet. Not sure how practical that is, but an interesting idea.
Old 03-12-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

Battle rounds continue tonight
Old 03-12-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think was Jamal was the best of the night. My God, most of them sound preety bad tonight. Not sure if it was the songs selected.
Old 03-13-12, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Geoff McBride vs. Sera Hill:

Awesome performance by both, but honestly Geoff was a dead man walking. There was no way Christina was going to pass on Sera considering how well they connected during the blind audition.

Charlotte Sometimes vs Lex Land

Hated that performance. Between the 2, I was glad that Charlotte made it through. Hate Lex's quiet and mousy demeanor.

Sarah Golden vs. Juliet Simms

Honestly, not my cup of tea. Didn't care for either.

Jamar Rogers vs. Jamie Lono

Jamar kicked Jamie's ass, but I hated the arrangement on that performance. Probably the worst cover of "I want to know what love is"

Whitney Myer vs. Kim Yarbrough

Best performance of the night IMO. Kim was outstanding. Whitney did a pretty decent job Very controlled and powerful vocals by Kim.

Lindsey Pavao vs. Lee Koch

Not my cup of tea either. Didn't really care for that performance.
Old 03-14-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the performances in that episode were off, IMO. I wanted to Geoff to go through, but no surprise that it was Sera. Don't like Charlotte or Lex, so didn't care about that one. No brainer that Juliet was going through, just based on the song. Glad Jamar went through. Really liked Whitney but no surprise on Kim getting through. Lee Koch frightens me. Glad he won't be around to haunt my nightmares anymore.
Old 03-14-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the rocker chick, Juliet. She might not have the greatest voice in the competition but I like her style and stage presence. I also think she'll be singing a lot of classic rock and that'll be pretty cool.
Old 03-19-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

Battle rounds continue again tonight. 2 more hours.
Old 03-19-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I don't get the cHoices on the battle rounds. The crazy choices are continuing tonight.

The girl with the tall hair and imitation of Macy Grey was awful. Her voice Is weak. The two brother were pretty good but ar passed over for the weak singer.

Also I would like NBC to put a censor bar over Aguilara's nasty looking boobs. This week they look sloppier then ever.
Old 03-20-12, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk God

I've only watched the 1st hour so far.

But, here's my thoughts.

Pip vs Nathan: Mediocre at best. Pip was slightly better.

Erin Martin vs. The Shields Bros. : I don't know what Cee-Lo is smoking, but Erin Martin is one of the worst singers I've ever heard. Her voice is so thin and weak. That little squeaking noise she did was grating.

Ashley vs. Jonathas: Pretty good, but Ashley sold her performance better than Jonathas. I think Jonathas just didn't have the energy. Ashley is still a little raw in talent, but she's cute, young and has potential.

Jermaine Paul vs. Alyx: Probably my favorite performance so far in the show. Jermaine killed it. He really sold the song and stood out right away.
Old 03-20-12, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whotony
Also I would like NBC to put a censor bar over Aguilara's nasty looking boobs. This week they look sloppier then ever.
I know which segments your talking about. It's the ones with her and Lionel Richie coaching the contestants. Not only did her boobs look nasty, but her makeup job was shitty and looks like she spent too much time in the tanning salon.
Old 03-20-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad Angel didn't make it to the live show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.