Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Biggest Loser tv show thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser tv show thread

Since the finale is live with an audience, it would be awesome if nobody even bothered to attend. That would really show the producers how much the final three suck more than people complaining on the internet.
Old 04-25-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, what do you know, for the first time the title of "Biggest Loser" will really fit the winner.

I'm not even sure I want to watch the finale now. We've already seen where the rest of the contestants are "now" (yeah, I know it was a couple of months ago when the episode was taped), thanks to the weigh-in.

If Conda or Jeremy wins, it could have a serious negative impact on next season's ratings.
Old 04-25-12, 01:58 AM
Banned

Conda is going to win. I truly believe the last two episodes were just a setup to get both her and Jeremy in the finale. I think she setup the whole mutiny thing to get Mark and Buddy to quit because she knew she had no chance of beating them otherwise. Kim is basically at her goal weight already. She really can't lose more than 10 or so more pounds whereas Conda still has a lot to lose. Yep, Conda has this one.

It really makes me wish Jillian was still there with her drill sergeant training. Jillian would have beat the crap out of Conda, and she wouldn't have made it past the second week.
Old 04-26-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

I don't buy all the conspiracy theories at all. I think Jeremy won that comp fair and square (over an hour standing in that position on one foot?). I don't like the finalists for sure, but certainly don't think there was a conspiracy to have unlikable contestants get to the finale.

FWIW, I do see some change in them, but it's hard to know if that is just what the producers want me to see (I do believe that part of the "conpiracy", I'm not naive enough to think we aren't manipulated).

Question: the previous "week's" weigh in had absurd one week numbers (15 pounds for Kim????). Did they ever say that it was more than a week? Because there's simply no way Kim loses 15 pounds in 7 days, no way.
Old 04-26-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Question: the previous "week's" weigh in had absurd one week numbers (15 pounds for Kim????). Did they ever say that it was more than a week? Because there's simply no way Kim loses 15 pounds in 7 days, no way.
Well, she did only lose 2 pounds the week before, but that's still a lot of weight.

That being said, when you're that close to $250k, I don't think taking extreme measures like starving yourself for a week are out of the question to make sure you're in that finale.
Old 04-27-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After forgetting about him Mike has suddenly become my favorite, it really kicked ass at home!
Old 05-01-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lateralus
After forgetting about him Mike has suddenly become my favorite, it really kicked ass at home!
Spoilers for you midwest and west coast people:

Spoiler:
Glad to see him take home the At Home Challenge.

Can't fault Jeremy for loosing that much weight and taking the title, but the kid just seems like a major douchebag. I'd imagine when Conda hugged him the first thing she said was, "So we are splitting this, right?"
Old 05-01-12, 08:07 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
Jeremy won this season. Mike, whom Jeremy beat in the final challenge, won the at-home prize.

On the bright side, Jeremy will be bankrupt within a year. He will spend all the money on hookers. You know it to be true...

Something interesting that I thought of is that Dr. H was in the audience, and I hadn't even realized this until seeing him there, but I don't recall ever seeing him in any episode this season. Its like this season was all about the drama crap and completely ignored the most important part: i.e. the health. In most finales, Dr. H usually makes comments about how the contestants have dramatically improved their health, but this finale he said nothing.
Old 05-02-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have absolutely no doubt that Jeremy (and probably Conda) will be back over 300 pounds within a year. They both went into the season with the wrong motivation, and it was clear from the very first episode that the only thing they wanted was to get some reality attention and win the cash prize.

Good for Mike though. He earned it, although he probably would have lost if Mark hadn't been such a major jerk and walked off the show. Speaking of Mark, did anyone see him in the audience? I looked but couldn't find him.
Old 05-02-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont think he was there... good to see conda and jeremy lost weight but not look fully skinny... the two hacks will be fat soon.

as for the losers that walked out... they look real dumb now. they could have won the whole damn thing...
Old 05-05-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't love Jeremy or Conda or Kim for that matter, but as is often the case with this show, they got more likable to me as time wore on. The physical transformation is clearly a mental one as well, and it routinely seems that even the game-players get nicer, maybe because they gain self-esteem and being mean no longer makes them feel better about themselves? In any case, not my favorite season by a long shot, but it is always amazing to watch the transformations.

And I don't expect Jeremy to gain the weight back at all. He lost almost 52% of his weight, that takes serious mental fortitude.
Old 05-06-12, 02:38 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Other than that bit toward the end with the "protest" over the challenge where a departed contestant could make it back into the final 3, I really liked Jeremy. I'm glad he won.
Old 05-06-12, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Speaking of Mark, did anyone see him in the audience? I looked but couldn't find him.
Actually, RIGHT after Jeremy was announced the winner, there was an audience shot. Thought I saw Mark, rewinded (and paused) on DVR to make sure. Yeah, it was him. Didn't see Buddy.
Old 05-06-12, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
And I don't expect Jeremy to gain the weight back at all. He lost almost 52% of his weight, that takes serious mental fortitude.
While normally losing weight requires a lot of mental fortitude, I would say The Biggest Loser show takes a lot of it away. I mean the $250,000 grand prize is a heck of a motivation that 99.9% of the normal dieters out there will never have. Also the show takes away a lot of pressure in that the contestants don't have to deal with "real life" while losing the weight. They don't have to get up and go to a career and take care of a family or whatever. They can spend all day exercising without the pressures of the real world keeping them down. Also they have Bob and Dolvett constantly kicking their asses keeping them going. Most people don't have world class trainers like that to help them.

It takes a heck of a lot more mental fortitude to actually keep the weight off. Many many many people think of a diet as being some temporary thing. They lose the weight and go right back to their old ways and end up gaining the weight back. A diet is not temporary at all. Its a permanent lifestyle change. You have to keep it up for the rest of your life. Many previous contestants have gained the weight back, the "game player" people especially have the "temporary diet" attitude because all they really care about is the grand prize and not so much about keeping healthy for the rest of their life.
Old 05-06-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
While normally losing weight requires a lot of mental fortitude, I would say The Biggest Loser show takes a lot of it away. I mean the $250,000 grand prize is a heck of a motivation that 99.9% of the normal dieters out there will never have. Also the show takes away a lot of pressure in that the contestants don't have to deal with "real life" while losing the weight. They don't have to get up and go to a career and take care of a family or whatever. They can spend all day exercising without the pressures of the real world keeping them down. Also they have Bob and Dolvett constantly kicking their asses keeping them going. Most people don't have world class trainers like that to help them.

It takes a heck of a lot more mental fortitude to actually keep the weight off. Many many many people think of a diet as being some temporary thing. They lose the weight and go right back to their old ways and end up gaining the weight back. A diet is not temporary at all. Its a permanent lifestyle change. You have to keep it up for the rest of your life. Many previous contestants have gained the weight back, the "game player" people especially have the "temporary diet" attitude because all they really care about is the grand prize and not so much about keeping healthy for the rest of their life.
Agree... Eric lost over half his weight and gained it back. I think he was the one that had a restaurant or was a chef...
Old 05-07-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

Sure, the money is motivation. But they are home for a couple of months at least after the show (before the finale), so they are at least dealing with some real life. And someone like Jeremy, as young as he is, he probably has a whole new world available to him that he never had. Heck, girls will be interested in him! I am not arguing with what you said, but I also think you totally minimize the dedication it takes to do what they do; you make it sound easy just because they're on the ranch. He lost ~200 pounds in 7 months. That isn't easy anywhere.

Originally Posted by leeta
Agree... Eric lost over half his weight and gained it back. I think he was the one that had a restaurant or was a chef...
yes, he did. Never denied that it happens. But he appears to be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 02-27-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

news just hitting the wires:

'Biggest Loser' host Bob Harper suffers heart attack

NEW YORK (AP) — Fitness trainer and host of NBC's "Biggest Loser" Bob Harper says he is recovering from a serious heart attack that left him unconscious for two days.

Harper tells TMZ he was working out in a gym in New York City this month when he collapsed. He says a doctor who also was in the gym performed CPR on him.

The 51-year-old Harper says he spent eight days in a New York hospital and has not yet been cleared to fly home to Los Angeles.

Harper has been a fixture on all 17 seasons of "The Biggest Loser." He served as a trainer on the show from 2004 to 2015. He took over as host of the reality weight loss program last year.
Old 01-21-20, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

It is coming back on the USA Network on Jan 28, 2020

Since the reality show debuted on NBC in 2004, it had been slammed as a fat-shaming mockery that also harmed the health and long-term weight-management efforts of its contestants. After dropping pounds at an incredible rate on the show, many participants gained back much of the weight in the years that followed.
Enter the reboot, which the program plans to roll out for its 18th season in January: Instead of talking about “getting skinny,” host Bob Harper told People Magazine that the show will focus on “getting healthy.” Contestants will learn how to make nutritious meals and will participate in group therapy for help shifting their lifestyles, promised USA Network, where the next season will run.

“Skinny does not always equate to being healthy,” Harper said in an email. “This is about getting these contestants on the right course to living healthier lives — physically and mentally.”

The show’s revamp comes amid a societal shift in how people think and talk about weight management. Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, diet and exercise companies now speak about holistic wellness and self-care. The changes to “The Biggest Loser” reflect that change in ways that make the show less harmful than previous versions, experts say, but the program still presents an unrealistic picture of weight loss.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...-less-harmful/

https://www.usanetwork.com/the-biggest-loser/videos