TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The One and Only KITCHEN NIGHTMARES / HELL'S KITCHEN Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The One and Only KITCHEN NIGHTMARES / HELL'S KITCHEN Thread

Originally Posted by Groucho
This guy makes a pretty convincing argument that Amy's Baking Company is a money-laundering operation:

http://www.reddit.com/r/cringepics/c...ving_a/c9ygmjc
in a nutshell

Money Laundering in a nut shell is taking money from some illegal source and turning it into money from a legal source. Say an enterprising Dlister, employs themself as high class hooker - cash only. Said Dlister also owns a coffee stand and takes the money from hooking and rings up fake sales at the coffee stand, deposits it and pay taxes on it - voila it is now clean.
Restaurants are an excellent cover for money laundering because of the amount of food waste. What they have to be careful about is ordering enough food to cover the sales they are ringing up.

The husband was the only one to run the cash register/ordering system, all the other servers gave him the tickets and he keyed it in. They didn't tell the wife/chef when people sent food back, they just threw it away and rang up another ticket. @justducky pointed out that in order to successfully launder the restaurants need to make sure they can account for their inventory. He could easily make it look like they had way more customers/sales if he writes separate tickets and makes it look like different customers when people send things back.
Old 05-15-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I want to say it was a bit of a mistake for Fox to hold this as its Season Finale, could have seen an uptick in ratings (show hasn't been renewed for a 7th season yet).
Old 05-15-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Why would Reddit delete all that? Have they ever done that before?
Yes. When they all decided to play junior detective and solve the Boston bombing case.
Old 05-15-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched the episode. What a psycho bitch. I hope the place goes under.
Old 05-15-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Yes. When they all decided to play junior detective and solve the Boston bombing case.
In regards to Kitchen Nightmares, the mods of /r/cringepics deleted all the comments as the rules to that particular subreddit state no insulting comments.

In regards to the Boston bombings, remember, Conde Nast still owns Reddit.
Old 05-15-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

From their company's Facebook page:

Other Side of Amy’s Baking Company Controversy in Scottsdale To Soon Be Told

SCOTTSDALE, AZ. MAY 15, 2013 -- Amy’s Baking Company will host a Grand Re-Opening on Tuesday night, May 21, following unflattering portrayals on national television.

Customers will be able to decide who is correct: a famous celebrity chef or the marketplace that has supported the small, locally-owned business for six years.

When re-opened, a portion of proceeds will benefit a charity organized to bring awareness to cyber bullying.

Seating is limited. Reservations may be made by emailing [email protected].

Diners will also have the opportunity to meet, and judge for themselves the character of owners Amy and Samy Bouzaglo, who have devoted their lives to and earn their living from their small restaurant. The Bouzaglos have been married for 10 years, after Sammy emigrated from Israel.

The owners will likely be holding a press conference before the Grand Re-Opening and answer falsehoods depicted on a reality television show, including assertions that the restaurant confiscates tips from servers.

In fact, wait staff is paid $8-$14 per hour, two and half to nearly five times the standard hourly wage for servers.

Questions will also be answered about what happened to their Facebook page.

Amy’s Baking Company was recently featured on the hit PBS show “Check Please” and has received A+ reports from CBS 5 for kitchen preparedness.

“We are very upset by what has taken place, apologize about the acrimony that has ensued but now must fight back to save our business. We hope and believe much good can result from what has transpired. We ask the public to keep an open mind as we begin to tell our side of the story,” Samy Bouzaglo said.

For more details, please contact Michael Saucier.
Old 05-15-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched the episode on demand. Amy shouldn't be in a kitchen, she should be in padded room for the rest of her life. Something is definitely fishy though. No way a place stays in business for 6 plus years treating customers like that. It's like the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld turned up to 11.
Old 05-16-13, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When re-opened, a portion of proceeds will benefit a charity organized to bring awareness to cyber bullying.

The thing is, this restaurant was bleeding money before, right? Otherwise Ramsay wouldn't have showed up. Now, they have all of this negative publicity. How could they possible stay in business after this?
Old 05-16-13, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ people going to the place for a goof maybe
Old 05-16-13, 04:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
He's never walked out of a show before. He's always at least implented his changes (or tried to) before the owners revert back.
Ah ok, gotcha; the place I was talking about was the J Willy's episode which I think failed after he tried to revamp it.

This site has a list of all of the Kitchen Nightmare locations and their status: http://kitchennightmares-kitchennightmare.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-13, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
This site has a list of all of the Kitchen Nightmare locations and their status: http://kitchennightmares-kitchennightmare.blogspot.com/
Not a very good track record.
Old 05-16-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Not a very good track record.
Quickly reading it looks like a lot of places reverted back to old menus and most of Gordon's changes.
Old 05-16-13, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly

The thing is, this restaurant was bleeding money before, right? Otherwise Ramsay wouldn't have showed up. Now, they have all of this negative publicity. How could they possible stay in business after this?
They said during the episode that they called him because they wanted him to come in and verify that the food was good to quiet all of the haters on Yelp and other sites, not that they were losing money or in danger of closing.
Old 05-16-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith6601
They said during the episode that they called him because they wanted him to come in and verify that the food was good to quiet all of the haters on Yelp and other sites, not that they were losing money or in danger of closing.
I seriously doubt the producers would've set him up to come there if the place wasn't losing money. That's the whole point of the show - implement his changes and standards so profit comes easier to these places.

The owner had mentioned he plunked down a cool million to open this place, but it made it sound like he wasn't taking much back in terms of a profit.
Old 05-16-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

a charity organized to bring awareness to cyber bullying.
Yeah, that right there is fucking hilarious. And they haven't even seen cyber bullying. Someone should let 4-Chan take over from here - that would be some first class cyber bullying.
Old 05-16-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

That's my reaction, they're lucky 4chan or anonymous haven't fucked with them.

I don't know how they explain away their action's on Kitchen Nightmares with some grand reopening.

The fact was that because she's such a control freak, she can't fill orders in a timely manner and her food is so so. I would go to wear a camera and see how they react if I have even a minor complaint.
Old 05-16-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 05-16-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I'm assuming it's another baby cat?
Old 05-16-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw a petition online to get them investigated by the US Department of Wages.
Old 05-16-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Meow meow.
Old 05-16-13, 03:13 PM

There's an Ask Me Anything on Reddit with the waitress that got fired. It's fairly interesting.

* She said she only worked there for a month, was paid about $8 an hour, and never was able to keep any of her tips. She says she initially didn't see it as a problem because of the hourly wage but admits she was kind of clueless. Several posters are urging her to take legal action, and how to go about it.

* They didn't allow the wait staff to eat anything unless they paid for it.

* She said the blow ups in the show were the worst she had seen. I think she was talking about the incident where the cops were called on the guy that didn't want to pay for his crappy pizza. The cops eventually showed up, everyone had to leave the restaurant, and the show producers paid for everyones meals.

* Miranda, the other waitress, quit a couple days after the show was filmed.

* She stated the way they were acting on the show was 100% them, and wasn't staged. She thought some of the diners may have sent food back or complained when they might not have so they could be on TV. I read somewhere that the diners who end up being on TV are asked to complain about their meals.

* Amy had messed up a tables order multiple times, so when she asked Katy to deliver yet another messed up order to the table, and that's why Katy asked "Are you sure?" and got fired for it.

* She said they seemed like nice, decent people when she interviewed with them.

* She has no idea if they are using the restaurant as a money laundering operation.
Old 05-16-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Don't most waiters/waitresses make like $2 an hour plus tips? Considering the lack of business this place gets, they're probably making out by being paid a straight hourly wage at $8 or $9 an hour.
Old 05-16-13, 03:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
* She stated the way they were acting on the show was 100% them, and wasn't staged. She thought some of the diners may have sent food back or complained when they might not have so they could be on TV. I read somewhere that the diners who end up being on TV are asked to complain about their meals.
I've seen this mentioned before. The producers basically tell the diners not to hold back if they have any sort of complaint. Even if they didn't do that, and people saw cameras everywhere, I think there's always people who want to get noticed.
Old 05-16-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The owners will likely be holding a press conference before the Grand Re-Opening and answer falsehoods depicted on a reality television show, including assertions that the restaurant confiscates tips from servers.
Um, didn't Samy admit that he didn't give tip money to his servers? He kept saying that servers get paid by hour and they don't get tip. How it supposed to help their case on "falsehoods depicted" that shown on Kitchen Nightmare?
Old 05-16-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I think he might be able to get away with keeping the tips since he pays them more than minimum wage, but I'm not sure. Like Noonan says above, being an empty place, the servers probably make more with $9 an hour than they would with minimum wage + tips. Not that I'm defending that sleazeball.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.