Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Amazon Prime Streaming Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 10:04 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: The Amazon Prime Streaming Thread

Amazon is dropping the price of Prime to $72 this Saturday. It's a one-day promo to celebrate the Golden Globes.

Anyone can watch Transparent at no cost on Saturday using the Amazon Instant Video app for TVs, connected devices and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/Transparent. Also on Saturday and in celebration of the 72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards, Amazon Prime will be available for just $72—a more than 25 percent savings. New members can sign up for this limited-time Prime offer at Amazon.com/TransparentPrime.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.marketwatch.com/story/in-...red-2015-01-22
Old 01-22-15, 12:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Amazon is dropping the price of Prime to $72 this Saturday. It's a one-day promo to celebrate the Golden Globes.
I wonder if current prime members can extend early for the same price?? I only see mention of "New members can sign up for this limited-time Prime offer at Amazon.com/TransparentPrime."

Rick
Old 01-22-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan
I wonder if current prime members can extend early for the same price?? I only see mention of "New members can sign up for this limited-time Prime offer at Amazon.com/TransparentPrime."

Rick
Buy it as a gift for yourself, then redeem it when your current subscription expires.
Old 02-01-15, 07:50 AM

Amazon Prime is dropping a bunch of BBC stuff on Feb 15th.

‘Doctor Who’, other BBC shows leaving Prime Instant Video as exclusivity wars heat up

In an attempt to strike at shows and networks who don’t place their content only on Amazon, Prime Instant Video is about to remove Doctor Who and other BBC programming.

The Verge reports that Amazon is removing hit BBC shows from Prime Instant Video, the online retailer’s streaming service, because they don’t have exclusive streaming rights. The shows, including Doctor Who, will be removed on February 15.

Amazon’s strategy is to offer their customers content that can only be found on Prime Instant Video. Since BBC programming like Doctor Who is also available on Netflix, it’s getting axed from Prime. “One of the easiest ways to help the video service stand out is to fill it with shows and movies that simply aren’t available elsewhere, and accordingly sources say the company’s content focus in 2015 will be on original programming and exclusive content deals,” says The Verge.

Amazon head Jeff Bezos announced last week that Prime Instant Video grew over 53% in 2014, and thanks to hit shows like Transparent that type of growth will only continue.

The Verge notes that Amazon has exclusivity deals for shows like 24, Justified, The Americans, and the BBC drama Orphan Black. They’ve also had an exclusive deal for the wildly popular Downton Abbey since February 2013.

READ MORE - http://www.hypable.com/doctor-who-bb...-amazon-prime/
Old 02-01-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Amazon and Netflix both are? There must be some sort of legal thing behind it, maybe the cost of renewing the license went up or something?
Old 02-01-15, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Didn't Netflix recently renewed Doctor Who? Either they made it exclusive or as Hanshotfirst1138 indicated, maybe they wanted too much money.
Old 02-01-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I like the BBC documentaries. Are we losing them too?
Old 02-01-15, 04:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazon Prime is dropping a bunch of BBC stuff on Feb 15th.
Making it easier and easier to not renew this year.
Old 02-01-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

When rival companies get into dick-measuring contests, the customers lose.
Old 02-01-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
When rival companies get into dick-measuring contests, the customers lose.
Now that streaming is the main method of delivery for everything, it's an inevitability we're going to have to get used to seeing a lot more.
Old 02-02-15, 05:39 AM

Seems like a good move to me. I'm sure most of their streaming customers already subscribe to Netflix. There's no point in offering the same stuff. I'd rather they put the money towards acquiring content that isn't available on other services.
Old 02-02-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a good move to me. I'm sure most of their streaming customers already subscribe to Netflix.
I don't know why anyone would assume that to be the case. I have PRIME mainly for the shipping and I do not have Netflix. I buy a month of Netflix here or there for certain shows. I wish Amazon did a monthly format too. I hate bundle "deals".
Old 02-02-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
I don't know why anyone would assume that to be the case. I have PRIME mainly for the shipping and I do not have Netflix. I buy a month of Netflix here or there for certain shows. I wish Amazon did a monthly format too. I hate bundle "deals".
It's less a bundle and more a "value added" feature. Prime was $79 before Prime Video was added, the recent hike to $99 probably has more to do with increased shipping costs than Prime Video as well. They seemed to under-estimated how much people would buy when offered free 2nd Day.

In other words, once Amazon Prime Instant is its own thing, Prime Shipping will still be $8.25 a month with a 12-month contract.
Old 02-02-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Easy
I don't have both either. I have Netflix physical for the new releases, and I got Prime for the shipping and didn't even use the streaming when it first became available. Now I don't use the shipping as often because my media buying is down, but I use the streaming quite a bit so it's a little more balanced for me. I've also racked up a ton of credits with the no-rush shipping so that defrays the cost somewhat.
Old 02-10-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just noticed today that all the History channel stuff is no longer available. That really stinks. I watched a ton of Pawn Stars, but never got around to American Pickers.
Old 02-12-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I don't have both either. I have Netflix physical for the new releases, and I got Prime for the shipping and didn't even use the streaming when it first became available. Now I don't use the shipping as often because my media buying is down, but I use the streaming quite a bit so it's a little more balanced for me. I've also racked up a ton of credits with the no-rush shipping so that defrays the cost somewhat.
The credits expire soon fyi.
Old 02-12-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Navinabob
The credits expire soon fyi.
I've been using them here and there. They seem to be rolling, since the last few I've gotten expire in March and April.

I definitely need to use them, though.
Old 02-13-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone watched Bosch yet? Any good?
Old 02-13-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Has anyone watched Bosch yet? Any good?
Being discussed in TV

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625...2-13-15-a.html
Old 02-13-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks. I must've overlooked that thread.
Old 02-18-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Happy about Man in the High Castle, pilot was great. I enjoyed Cocked (not great, but I was hoping it would make the cut). Need to check out the rest. I am hoping Bosch gets a Season 2, I have been enjoying it so far.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news...-2-1201435977/

Amazon Studios ordered five new original series — including alternate-history thriller “The Man in the High Castle” and dark comedy “Mad Dogs” — and renewed drama “Mozart in the Jungle” for a second season.

The shows will premiere exclusively to Prime members in the U.S., U.K. and Germany later this year and in 2016, on Amazon’s Prime Instant Video service.

The five new series are “The Man in the High Castle,” based on Philip K. Dick’s 1962 alternative history novel about a world in which the Allies lost World War II; hourlong dark comedy “Mad Dogs” (pictured above); docu-series “The New Yorker Presents”; and kids’ shows “Just Add Magic” and “The Stinky & Dirty Show.”

In addition, Amazon ordered a second season of “Mozart in the Jungle,” a dramatic comedy about sex, drugs and clashing personalities in the New York classical music scene based on the memoir by Blair Tindall. Season two will premiere in early 2016 from executive producers Roman Coppola (“Moonrise Kingdom”), Jason Schwartzman (“The Darjeeling Limited”) and Paul Weitz (“About a Boy”).

Amazon picks shows to greenlight as full series in part based on feedback on the pilots. During the “pilot season,” any Amazon customer in the U.S., U.K. and Germany can watch, rate and comment on them. To date, Amazon Studios has ordered 13 series, including Golden Globe-winning “Transparent,” which will return for a second season later this year.
Old 02-18-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Glad to see MAD DOGS ordered to series...I really liked it.
Old 02-18-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Anyone know if it's possible to share your prime with someone? I'm thinking of buying my brother a fire stick but leaving it linked to my prime.
Old 02-19-15, 10:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Anyone know if it's possible to share your prime with someone? I'm thinking of buying my brother a fire stick but leaving it linked to my prime.
Iirc, you can share your shipping benefits with others, but any streaming has to be done signed into the primary account.
Old 02-19-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm a bit disappointed. Went to watch Walking With Prehistoric Beasts this morning, only to find out it has been removed from Prime.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.